Unexpected Bedroom Companion.......

What do you expect,you're probably staying in the cheapest hotel in town in Mae Sai,just like you did in Luang Prabang?

Maybe it's just me but I find it all rather strange considering the fact that there are many very good 5-star colonial hotels there for around USD $100 a night?

All this despite claiming to be a millionaire on here!

I'm not an overly rich man, though I'm comfortable.

Even though I have the capacity to stay in a luxury hotel ... I choose not to.

I choose to travel for a longer time and spend less on Hotels then a shorter time holiday staying in 5 star.

Credit to theblether not to cocoon himself in the luxuries of a 5*****

Another one!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect,you're probably staying in the cheapest hotel in town in Mae Sai,just like you did in Luang Prabang?

Maybe it's just me but I find it all rather strange considering the fact that there are many very good 5-star colonial hotels there for around USD $100 a night?

I choose to travel for a longer time and spend less on Hotels then a shorter time holiday staying in 5 star.

Another one!

In relation to me ... justify your comment.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Noo is the Mr rat, gnu shud be Dr Snakey.

Now, which one is it?

My wife just explained how to pronounce it correctly and best I can come up in English letters is nhoo or nooh. Somehow it has to go up. ?..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Noo is the Mr rat, gnu shud be Dr Snakey.

Now, which one is it?

My wife just explained how to pronounce it correctly and best I can come up in English letters is nhoo or nooh. Somehow it has to go up. ?..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not easy, and for such a short word you would think it would be. I'll need to practise a bit more on this one. sad.png

http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/luang_prabang/phasith_guesthouse.html?asq=bs17wTmKLORqTfZUfjFABprSFSmoJqfubH8yhdQdkMVKztREv6jcZlpL1ARlxdP%2bxemBs8AlKSDHy6%2bah9izP89lL4aw5C31jTpN39b2DsFBl0BVbcQdRJcLVyEwP%2fY%2fQoXrQXkycEnGkfXhSzZMKoB0MSQYAonmgfpl89mnyN8nYgZMnsUEsfQmGZszQhKQIQNWau06k6ydet5ulceCW5esAWULuaXmg7unV%2f84y6WSlsI9GlNwhKLvGDK46rVdAQkrolxu7oY0IsBs8RsXwA%3d%3d

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yet another immature flame.

• Like 1

OP I'm interested to hear if your new companion was looking for a short time or long time encounter? Watch out for the sharp teeth, could bring tears to your eyes.

Looks like long time......hung around for a long time and at one point showed me it's best coyote moves on top of the TV. biggrin.png

There were two rats in Mr. theblether's room.

So he went and bought the biggest baddest BB gun

Back to the room, shot both rats...

That is the end of the noos, here is the weather forecast.

Yup I saw a 8 foot python swimming down the Ping River the other week, where was he when I needed him huh? Posted Image

That was a ngu

You saw a noo in the room.

Every time I try to say ngu they think I mean noo. I must try saying it with a scots accent.

You would think there would be nobody saying " noo " better than me, seeing how I'm Scottish.

I seriously give up with this language. Posted Image

My gf's sister nickname is 'rat'.

It took me a while to pick up on the subtle tone of how to say her name.

In English, her name would be spelt Hnoo. Pronounced with a 'soft' 'H' leading into a stronger 'N'

When you start to pronounce the 'H', breath out through your nostrils and you will start the tone correct.

Tone level throughout then a rising 'o' at the end. 'ngu' isn't even close, I can understand the confusion.

Maybe try this with the Hotel receptionist (if she's cute) and see if that pronunciation and tone works for you.

It's standard operating procedure for Thais (or anyone else for that matter) when confronted with an unpleasant task, complaint or as in some of these so-called "forum debates" to feign non-comprehension. It's a trick that the intellectually and/or operationally lazy use.

Thais ROUTINELY base their jokes and humor on tonal puns.

The reception squad knew exactly what hngu noo knew about.

More fun to join together and have a go at some poor Scotsman trying to speak Thai than to respect his efforts to do so.

(Is, um,***this*** off-topic ;-?)

I would say spot on topic.......I don't proclaim any great language proficiency but there are times when I know they are being deliberately obtuse. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in this case however I did lose my temper ( not like me ) at a waitress in my regular lunch venue for not understanding the word " nam ".

I tried every variation of tone, even stretching it out " nam yin " , " nam kheng " ........and she stood there looking at me like an alien. The owner saw me starting to lose it and asked what was wrong.........so I told her. Her reply?...........and I'm serious..........

" Sorry Khun Blether......she is from the Mountain, she cannot speak Thai. "

<deleted>.

• Like 1

I would say spot on topic.......I don't proclaim any great language proficiency but there are times when I know they are being deliberately obtuse. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in this case however I did lose my temper ( not like me ) at a waitress in my regular lunch venue for not understanding the word " nam ".

I tried every variation of tone, even stretching it out " nam yin " , " nam kheng " ........and she stood there looking at me like an alien. The owner saw me starting to lose it and asked what was wrong.........so I told her. Her reply?...........and I'm serious..........

<deleted>.

"¿qué?"

when I first came here very few people in CM could speak thai....they spoke Lana....

TV (television) and schools have made a difference in 40 years....

No I haven't been here constantly all that time, I was away for many years.

<deleted>.

"¿qué?"

Yup, seriously.......there's a lot of Mountain people who can't speak Thai. Obviously that's more prevalent in the North as that's where ( as far as I know ) the majority of the Hill Tribe ( now to be called Mountain People ) live.

I know of one other restaurant owner that had to sack a girl as she couldn't speak Thai, and before anyone jumps the gun, he has Burmese employees, she couldn't speak Burmese either.

Edited by theblether

OP I'm interested to hear if your new companion was looking for a short time or long time encounter? Watch out for the sharp teeth, could bring tears to your eyes.

Looks like long time......hung around for a long time and at one point showed me it's best coyote moves on top of the TV. :D

Apologies for harping on but I am just ever so curious....

You mentioned

"at one point showed me it's best coyote moves on top of the TV"

It's? As opposed to her (or his) best coyote moves.

So are we to assume you are being entertained by a Ladyboy or a Tom? Sounds colourful to say the least....lol

Do you happen to wear soft pointy shoes, green soft linen suit and green pointy hat, play a flute and come from Hameln in Germany? If you do the same trick with rats in Thailand, you could earn an absolute fortune - but remember to get your work permit first!giggle.gif

• Like 1

You can run but you can't hide. laugh.png

What's that they are selling on the side of the road dear?

Micky mow.

What

Micky mow

What the f... is micky, oh hang on...

RAT ?????

Yes Micky mow.

So the answer is catch it and BBQ the bugger. Sell it or have it with chips yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Gawd, poor cat.........

.....and who's that trimming the rat? You know some strange people Rene sad.png

He is a friend of my fathers and he uses the fur for fly tying. He also uses cat fur and dog fur. He even made a fly using some of my curly red hair and actually caught a trout with it. At least he said he did. I just thought of the pictures when I read your topic. Everyone seemed to be having a laugh.

There is a pond near my hotel and the rats run back and forth between it and the hotel's garbage pails. I often thought an air gun would be fun for target practise.

Maybe Basil likes it smooth?

Very possibly.

theblether's 8 foot PYTHON in the ping would be very happy with the Siamese cats in your avatar I reckon.

(wink nudge know what I mean....?)