Torrents and Google Magnets

Soi Sauce

Hallo,

When I try to download from torrents, I keep getting a box popping up saying I need google magnets to do so. It then asks me to clicki to install whatever the porogram is. However, there is also a warning that if I did not initiate the request it may start an attack on my computer.

Has anybody any idea what I can do, please?

Thanks.

To elucidate:

A torrent file is only a "Pointer" to the various bits of whatever it is you're trying to download.

You need to open it with a program like Utorrent to actually get the stuff.

Utorrent automatically handles magnet links.

I am doing what you are doing on a daily basis. I am unfortunately not so good with computers but my computer guy here in Chaiyaphum (a thai guy) have helped to install the following to handle magnet links and 720 something.....

Utorrent as usual...

+ also in addition software called. WinRAR

Now I am fine since a year back,,,,, my advise

SEEK HELP, it is so cheap here in Thailand to fix this small problem....

Glegolo

Torrents and magnets are 2 different things to achieve the same end goal.

Common torrent software can also download from magnet links.

Magnet links have an advantage that the hosting site dont actually host anything, just a link. Torrents require a small file hosted and despite the hosted file containing nothing of copyright...it has been a major point in legal cases.

Thepiratebay has stopped hosting torrent files and only uses magnet links now to help in their court fights.

Do you use piratebay?

Firefox will handle magnet links fine.

Chrome I think doesnt, on my computer chrome uses firefox to open magnet links.

No idea about IE etc.

So my guess is that your torrent software supports magnet links. If it doesnt upgrade or change it.

But the problem seems to be that your browser doesnt know what to do with magnet links. Try firefox.

Magnet links have an advantage that the hosting site dont actually host anything, just a link. Torrents require a small file hosted and despite the hosted file containing nothing of copyright...it has been a major point in legal cases.

Thepiratebay has stopped hosting torrent files and only uses magnet links now to help in their court fights.

Do you use piratebay?

No idea about IE etc.

So my guess is that your torrent software supports magnet links. If it doesnt upgrade or change it.

But the problem seems to be that your browser doesnt know what to do with magnet links. Try firefox.

Thanks everybody for your help. I have got torrents installed and it's worked well for years.

This problem started 2 weeks ago. Upto then, I could download using chrome. Now, I get this box saying I need to download something with magnets in it, but that it may mean anattack on my PC.

Will try Firefox. Do I just download it and it will handle everything automatically, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks again for all your help.

Do you use piratebay?

No idea about IE etc.

I don't believe FireFox natively supports 'magnet links'. You usually will receive a message such as, "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address". You still need to register a magnet link protocol through an add-on, plugin, or external program.

ref: Magnet support: How to add to Firefox?

Almost all of the major torrent clients, support magnet links and the three popular browsers (IE, Firefox, and Chrome).

You're very vague in your terminology. It would help if you could identify exactly which torrent client you've been using for years.

Edited by BB1950

opera browser has a built in torrent downloader however Transmission in linux will leave everything else standing for download speed.

Yes, but the opera torrent client is not very good. Download speed in transmission can come at the expense of other resources so your browsing may slow to a crawl. I found Tixati best for balanced CPU use and it will be just as fast

Works on windows too.

I download torrent files every day. I use the latest version of Chrome to search torrent sites using a extension(plug-in) called Torrent Finder also very often and I use Vuze as my torrent client.

To date I have no issues using the magnets on any torrent site. The magnet when clicked responds as I would expect and connects automatically with Vuze and the rest is normal to start the downloading.

I would assume the OP is using Chrome as his browser and he goes to a torrent hosting site that uses magnets. If he has a torrent client software running is it possible that client does not handle magnets well? I also have heard the Pirate Bay is having some issues with magnets and Chrome.

This link explains some issues about a year ago: http://www.roflcopteralert.com/getting-magnet-links-to-work-with-utorrent-when-using-chrome-fixed/

I just post this for added info

opera browser has a built in torrent downloader however Transmission in linux will leave everything else standing for download speed.

Yes, but the opera torrent client is not very good. Download speed in transmission can come at the expense of other resources so your browsing may slow to a crawl. I found Tixati best for balanced CPU use and it will be just as fast

Works on windows too.

Tixati is very pretty but only slightly more useful than opera torrent getter.

titaxi doesnt download from webseeds at all. transmission does.

havent had the slow browsing with transmission that you mentioned, mostly i forget it is even running in the background as i have it set to start minimized automatically on boot.

did quite a few side by side unthrottled titaxi and normal transmission download test simultaneously, as i said above titaxi isnt even in the race even on non-webseeded torrents..

Edited by ttwitt

Utorrent and magnets....

In case it happens to you (I recently had a problem with magnet links from a multitude of sites with Firefox responding - Firefox doesn't know how to open this address.) It was a problem with Utorrent that occurred one day last week.

The problem was not with firefox but with Utorrent.

In Utorrent I went to Preferences - General - Windows Integration.

Clicked on the box that says Associate With Magnet.

Closed Utorrent.

Went back to Pirate Bay and clicked on the magnet link and it asked what program I wanted to associate with magnet links and I clicked Utorrent.

Maybe a similar problem with other torrent clients?

• Like 1