Pm Thaksin Resigns

george

Chat Thai Deputy Leader calls Mr. Thaksin's decision a great sacrifice for the nation

The Deputy leader of the Chat Thai Party stated that Mr. Thaksin was making a great sacrifice in his decision to resign from his post.

Mr. Somsak Prisananantakul (สมศักดิ์ ปริศนานันทกุล), deputy leader of the Chat Thai party, revealed that Mr. Thaksin's announcement to resign from his post was another occasion in which His Majesty's guidance and grace has allowed peace to reign in the nation once more. Mr. Somsak adds that the Chat Thai party would like all involved parties to meet for discussions of political reform. He encourages the parliamentary selection committee to choose the most constitutionally sound candidate.

The deputy Chat Thai Leader adds that the most important element was sincerity in political reform.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 April 2006

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*****PM to step aside for national reconciliation*****

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra officially announced Tuesday evening that he would step down for the sake of national reconciliation.

Appearing on TV pool, Mr. Thaksin announced that he would not accept the premiership despite his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party won the majority vote of around 16 million in the April 2 general election.

"I won't accept the premiership in a selection process when the House of Representatives convenes its first session after the general election," he declared.

Mr. Thaksin said he decided to step down from power to end the country's political standoff and restore national peaceful order and unity to pay tribute to His Majesty the King on the auspicious occasion of the 60th anniversary of the beloved monarch's ascension to the throne this year.

The caretaker premier said, however, that he would be in office until a new prime minister from his TRT Party is elected in the House, and that he would continue to be the leader of the TRT Party and a member of the House of Representatives.

Mr. Thaksin apologized the 16 million eligible voters who support him and his TRT Party, saying he had to give priority to the national interest.

"As an MP, I will still visit people in various areas and the TRT-led government will continue to implement policies earlier prominsed to the voters, namely the war on drugs, the Bt30 per hospital visit, the poverty eradication and mega development projects," he pledged.

Mr. Thaksin said Monday evening in a live TV talk show, Krong Sathanakarn, on government-run TV Channel 11 that he would be open to every channel which could help end the current political standoff--even stepping down with a leader from his TRT Party being assigned to, instead, take the premiership until the second-round political reform taken part by all parties concerned is completed over the next 15 months and a new general election is held.

This proposal is on conditions that the former three main opposition parties, including the Democrat, the Chart Thai and the Mahachon Parties, end their boycott and run in next general elections, and that an anti-government movement led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) end their two-month rallies.

Both the former oppostion bloc and the PAD have accepted the caretaker premier's proposal.

Mr. Thaksin officially announced his decision after seeking an audience with His Majesty the King at Klaikangvol Palace in the upper southern province of Prachuap Khiri Khan Tuesday afternoon.

--TNA 2006-04-04

Well done Thaksin. A real CEO and a 'good' political move for Thailand

Economy predicted to resume growth after the political breaks announced by caretaker PM Thaksin Shinawatra

Thai economy is expected to recover after caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra confirmed his stepping down last night, with the annual growth forecast to stay in the range of 4.5 percent or higher.

Director of the Business and Economics Forecasting Centre of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce Thanawat Phonvichai (ธนวรรธน์ พลวิชัย) said he believed the business sector would feel more at ease and public consumption would resume its normal level. Investors should gain their confidence and are expected to raise their investment in line with the megaproject of the government.

He believed the new government's economic policy would be a continuation from the previous government. This means the megaprojects in the capital will resume; the same to provincial stimulus measures and the foreign market expansion strategy.

As for exports, continual expansion in their markets will be seen. The new political developments will facilitate easier tourism campaigns to woo tourists in foreign markets. In general, the Thai economy will be on a brighter side. However, how the economy will readjust depends on the new government policy, as well as who will be the prime minister and the cabinet.

Mr. Thanawat concluded that improvement in exports will be seen in the second quarter of this year, and the economy is likely to expand to nearly 4.5 percent with more rooms to adjust higher later in the year.

Iv'e read many overseas commentaries (objective?) about this being a battle between the "old guard" (read old money) and the newcomer (thaksin). It's a battle that leaves the Thai people with a political void.

exactly teletiger, I am glad that you did followed the oversea commentaries which many here do not. That was the reason many are too negative in their comment.

Look at all the past Premier that have served Thailand. Tell us here, is there anyone that is better than the current premier.

You might think I am a Pro-thaksin. That's is up to you. but facts is facts.

Time will reveal that you will regret for what you are hoping for.

You need to see through the veil he spun around himself and his politics. I do not think anybody here denies his abilities within some areas - propaganda and image-creation being the major ones... he had the backing of the majority of the media when he started, and used that situation in a masterful way.

However, in order to properly assess a politician like Dr. T, you also have to look more closely at the projects he has created, and how they have turned out. The three main schemes that have earned him his voter base, were in reality not such successes as they were made out to be, especially the 30 baht health scheme. Later governments will have to pay for this. Most projects were about dishing out money, money that has to be returned somehow. The real results of this handout policy will soon start to show in national finances.

How about the Southern situation? In my opinion his involvement in the South has been a complete failure. Hello? How about the paper cranes from planes project? How about Tak Bai? And most importantly, the precursor to the violence: How about his decision to close the platforms for dialogue established earlier in order to avoid violence and misunderstandings in the South?

It is true none of the candidates of the opposition can present the same corporate spin doctor glossy image as Thaksin, but perhaps they can bring order to the national economy and get a grip on the situation in the South.

Chuan Leephai made some really tough decisions during his term, and was hated for it; labelled a sellout by Thai nationalists. It is my own firm belief that Thaksin's spending spree would not have been at all possible if Chuan had not cleaned up national finances first.

Press review: Thai poll 'trick'

Commentators in Thai newspapers criticise Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's election tactics and urge action to break the deadlock with the opposition.

An editorial in The Nation condemns Mr Thaksin for calling the snap poll in the first place.

"Thaksin's invocation of ballot-box democracy, as he chooses to interpret it, does not hold water," it says.

"It fails to take into consideration a major fallacy of the concept, particularly in a less-developed democracy like ours, in which the impoverished, poorly informed masses are easily manipulated by people of his ilk."

"

How insulting the above statement is to the majority of Thais who are poor and live in rural communities. It infers that the majority of people in Thailand are too stupid to know what is good for them and so thier votes shouldn't be counted.

About 2/3 of Thais live in rural communities. They are the underclass who make up the servants and labourers to make life comfortable for the elete social/financial ruling class. Thaskin has done a lot to help these poor rural people better their lives and they support him for that reason. They may not be educated enough to get involved in intellectual debates over technical points of law that even the courts cant agree on, but like in any other democracy they vote for the candidate who gives them the best deal.

Thaskin was wise to lobby the majority of the countries voters. Thats how a democracy works. The party who gets the most votes wins.

What is "The Nation" trying to say?-- only people with university educations who live in the city should be allowed to vote?

When less than one percent of the nations voters take to the streets in an effort to remove the democratically elected leader, it does not have the same validity as when 66% of the public vote to keep the said leader. When a small elete minority seek to overturn the rule of law and remove a democratically elected leader you have the makings of a dictatorship in evolution.

As guests and visitors in The Thai Kingdom, we need to respect the democratic rights of ALL Thais to determine their own future in a peacefull and lawfull way. And that includes the rights and political opinions of the poor, uneducated, rural underclass.

Most of my Thai family voted for TRT and that is their right as Thai citizens. Their vote has no less value than editor of "The Nation" newspaper. Though I am sure by the quote above he would like to see rural underclass made ineligible to vote.

Perhaps if more opposition parties paid more attention to the needs of the majority of voters in Thailand the TRT party would not be so invincible?

ummm no ... I think he would like to see them "informed" ... geeze ... he didn't call them stupid ... he made a rather true statement about the amount of information that gets to the rural regions. The readers of The Nation are by far and away foriegners or those with interest in getting more information that read English.

No "Rule of Law" was overturned here ... instead pressure was brought to bear ... all within a legal framework of any democracy ....

Some people are just too touchy about their upcountry ties .... my partner is from "upcountry" even though it is not Isaan ... strangely they (the family) voted TRT twice and no-vote once ... why? because they have full access to information.

Do the other parties need to spend more effort in the rural NE and North? Probably ... but the deliberate deprivation of the rural areas from getting real information would do far more to help than anything.

Thaksin did an amazing change of tack in just a few hours. And immediately after his audience with His Majesty announces his intention to step aside.

The facts speak for themselves.

A great day for democracy.

Foot note: As I mentioned on an earlier post - yesterday Thaksin was belligerent and defiant and questioned boldly why he should, indeed, have to step down. He was saying he would definitely be the new democratically elected PM. This was his stance.

How could he change his mind in such a short time, just a few hours, unless it was decided for him.

This will probably be one of the great mysteries of Thai political history.

Also, perhaps it is presumptious of me to speculate on this matter - but I think it's worthy of consideration and discussion - just as other posters have been speculating on the implications and ramifications of Thaksin remaining in TRT as a member of parliament.

I have no problems with posters speculating on political developments on this board - one reason why I read this thread regularly. But speculating on His Majesty's intentions without hearing a word from him is entirely another matter.

Bul ... I rather doubt HM said anything other than please keep the country and the people first in your heart ....

so why resign 24 hours after he said ... why should I? Simply because he painted himself into a corner ... he said if the Opposition parties agreed to run ... and the PAD stopped protesting he would.

A good leader?

Thaksin's created more division in this country than I don't know what?

"A great lost for the people of thailand."

Right!

Your naivety astounds me.

You're obviously a pro-Thaksin Thai citizen who has ventured onto this forum to take a few pot-shots at us pesky foreigners who didn't care for Thaksin at all and are absolutely delighted this evening that he's gone

Just wait until the next government is formed and all the immigration, company, tax laws etc. are changed again. Then see how much you miss our Fearless Leader!

Thaksin, while certainly not a polished politician by any stretch, is the best of a very bad bunch and despite the divisions in the country he is still the best man for the job. His departure is not a good thing for us working expats here. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen it all before - Remember Chuan's economic reforms...???

The only people who are pi**ed off with him are the rich Thais in and around BKK. His clamp down on corruption has hurt them in the Thai's most sensitive area - the WALLET!

And bulmercke, how are you affected by the policies of the Thai Rak Thai government..?? I'd be interested to hear you views.

Better the devil you know!

Well said Backpack, your words echo my own sentiments - for those of us who have been here long enough we have seen it all before.

Chairman of Election Commission said election was completely transparent

The Chairman of the Election Commission, Police General Vassana Permlarp (วาสนา เพิ่มลาภ), pointed out that the election poll station layouts were completely legitimate and transparent, and he is ready to address these matters in court.

Pol. Gen. Vassana responded to the People's Alliance for Democracy's call to the Supreme Court to cancel the election process, especially allegations that the setup of the election poll stations was less than transparent, that the Election Commission was not in the wrong, and he was ready to address these allegations in a court of law. Of particular note was that each voter was required to face out of the voting booth during the vote process.

Pol. Gen. Vassana said that he was completely right, and that the Election Commission did their job as best they could, with no corruption involved. General Vassana added that he is currently awaiting the last few election results to be concluded.

Spokesman of Democrat Party says Mr. Thaksin's resignation will alleviate political tension

The spokesman of the Democrat Party stated that Mr. Thaksin's announcement to resign from his post was one way of helping alleviate the current political tension.

Mr. OngArch Klambpaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย), spokesman for the Democrat Party, stated that Mr. Thaksin's decision to resign from his post was one method of reducing the tension of the current political situation. The spokesman added that the 3 main opposition parties would not now convene, as Mr. Thaksin has just ended the political crisis for them. Discussions between the parties will take place, however, to decide on the political direction the nation will take.

A successor for Mr. Thaksin is still under scrutiny by Parliament. If parliament is constitutionally fit to convene, then the decision will come under way. Mr. OngArch concluded that the opposition parties will remain in their role of political reformists.

A good leader?

Thaksin's created more division in this country than I don't know what?

"A great lost for the people of thailand."

Right!

Your naivety astounds me.

You're obviously a pro-Thaksin Thai citizen who has ventured onto this forum to take a few pot-shots at us pesky foreigners who didn't care for Thaksin at all and are absolutely delighted this evening that he's gone

Just wait until the next government is formed and all the immigration, company, tax laws etc. are changed again. Then see how much you miss our Fearless Leader!

Thaksin, while certainly not a polished politician by any stretch, is the best of a very bad bunch and despite the divisions in the country he is still the best man for the job. His departure is not a good thing for us working expats here. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen it all before - Remember Chuan's economic reforms...???

The only people who are pi**ed off with him are the rich Thais in and around BKK. His clamp down on corruption has hurt them in the Thai's most sensitive area - the WALLET!

And bulmercke, how are you affected by the policies of the Thai Rak Thai government..?? I'd be interested to hear you views.

Better the devil you know!

Well said Backpack, your words echo my own sentiments - for those of us who have been here long enough we have seen it all before.

Something I've said here for a long time and usually got shot down quickly for it. Many expats here are new here and just don't quite understand how truly f@#$ed up things were in Thailand before Thaksin was in office. I think he is better off now and he should wash his hands of all the whining bulls#itters who wanted him in so badly and now have turned on him. Chok dee Thailand, you're going to need it.

General Sanan Kachornprasat praises Mr. Thaksin's decision to resign

The leader of the Mahachon party praised Mr. Thaksin's decision to withdraw from his post.

Major General Sanan Kachornprasat (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์), leader of the Mahachon Party, praised Mr. Thaksin's decision to step down from his post of Prime Minister, adding that it was the correct thing to do, as the decision took into account the welfare of the nation and the people. General Sanan believes that the nation will be peaceful and orderly once again, as the People's Alliance for Democracy will disband and end their protests soon, and this will surely reduce social tension.

General Sanan has proposed to the Chat Thai, Democrat, and Thai Rak Thai Party to come together and find solutions to reaching the 500 member quota necessary for parliament to convene.

its hard to deny that thaksin did move the country ahead economically although at what cost ? and how far ahead did he move himself economically? Hopefully the next pm will not be as blatantly corrupt as thaksin. It seems that under TRT government a lot of questionable things have been passed, especially concerning foreigners, although on the other hand, the Thai people obviously are fully intitled to pass any laws in relation relating to farangs as they want, it is THEIR COUNTRY after all.

Also i want to add that Thai people who are ignorant or otherwise (vote buying..) in the north-east wan't to vote people in on their celebrity status alone, well, the country should be ready to accept that, although this time around Thaksin visibly did do many many things offside, but i am referring to the 04 landslide..

Edited by cooL_guY_corY

I don't see where he moved the country ahead economically better than chuan???

Only he spoke more about it, but did worse.

its hard to deny that thaksin did move the country ahead economically although at what cost ? and how far ahead did he move himself economically? Hopefully the next pm will not be as blatantly corrupt as thaksin. It seems that under TRT government a lot of questionable things have been passed, especially concerning foreigners, although on the other hand, the Thai people obviously are fully intitled to pass any laws in relation relating to farangs as they want, it is THEIR COUNTRY after all.

Also i want to add that Thai people who are ignorant or otherwise (vote buying..) in the north-east wan't to vote people in on their celebrity status alone, well, the country should be ready to accept that, although this time around Thaksin visibly did do many many things offside, but i am referring to the 04 landslide..

an amazing amount of spin put on this all byt the "Thaksin will never resign folks"!

Agreed. Maybe TRT give Mr.T a "Senior Minister" post???

Like Deputy PM maybe... :o

As leader of thai rak thai, he still hold the key and power to pull the string from behind.

...geeze...he didn't call them stupid...

No one said he did say they were "stupid" Dont misrepresent me please.

I did say the article inferred they were stupid.

The readers of The Nation are by far and away foreigners or those with interest in getting more information that read English.[/b]

What is said is said weather its in Thai or English. The intended audience does not make the statement any less offensive.

No "Rule of Law" was overturned here ... instead pressure was brought to bear ... all within a legal framework of any democracy ....

Tens of thousands of protesters obstructing public thoroughfares for weeks is in fact unlawfull. The fact that the government allowed it to continue while it remained peacefull was more an act of crowd control to avoid bloodshed than a condonance of it as a lawfull gathering. Had this been in New York, Tokyo or London I think the troops would have been brought in and the crowd disbursed fairly promptly.

Some people are just too touchy about their upcountry ties

Not "touchey", I simply believe that in a democracy a rural persons vote is as good as a city folks vote.

.... my partner is from "upcountry" even though it is not Isaan ... strangely they (the family) voted TRT twice and no-vote once ... why? because they have full access to information.

Believe it or not they actually have radio and TV up in Issarn now. Very few people in the country do not have access to information anymore. The main reason the majority of Thais prefer TRT is because of what TRT is actually doing for them rather than any failure of access to information.

... but the deliberate deprivation of the rural areas from getting real information would do far more to help than anything.

I dont understand the above quote. Could you expand?

....Mr. Kamtha stated that the 16 million votes in favor of the Thai Rak Thai party was proof enough of the party's good ideas, decisions, and actions. ...

Not sure what kind of logic they're using. 16 million votes assumes:

-16 million people think the TRT has "good ideas, decisions, and actions"

-16 million people voted for TRT

People vote for different reasons. Some people vote because of peer or group pressure, or because they don't know anyone else (e.g., "If not Thaksin, WHO?"), or they don't have enough knowledge or concerns of the facts.

16 million votes? Have they forgotten to add the number of fence sitter that opposed the ruling party and is waiting to bounce back anytime?

its hard to deny that thaksin did move the country ahead economically although at what cost ?

Is that a statement or a question?

Also i want to add that Thai people who are ignorant or otherwise (vote buying..) in the north-east

[/q

uote]

If you have knowledge of vote buying you should notify the Electoral Commission immediatly.

Or perhaps it was just something you heard down the pub?

...geeze...he didn't call them stupid...

No one said he did say they were "stupid" Dont misrepresent me please.

I did say the article inferred they were stupid.

I think you mean "insinuated" ... and no .... YOU inferred they meant stupid.

The readers of The Nation are by far and away foreigners or those with interest in getting more information that read English.[/b]

What is said is said weather its in Thai or English. The intended audience does not make the statement any less offensive. Offensive to you because you inferred they insinuated something that was not in fact said.

Tens of thousands of protesters obstructing public thoroughfares for weeks is in fact unlawfull. The fact that the government allowed it to continue while it remained peacefull was more an act of crowd control to avoid bloodshed than a condonance of it as a lawfull gathering. Had this been in New York, Tokyo or London I think the troops would have been brought in and the crowd disbursed fairly promptly. Obviously you have not followed current events in the world ... but there are deomonstrations in the USA now ... less controlled and all ... If laws were broken you'd be seeing charges against the leaders. Sorry ... just because YOU think it was illegal does not make it so!

Some people are just too touchy about their upcountry ties

Not "touchey", I simply believe that in a democracy a rural persons vote is as good as a city folks vote. Yes touchy ... You made the point about your family upcountry.

.... my partner is from "upcountry" even though it is not Isaan ... strangely they (the family) voted TRT twice and no-vote once ... why? because they have full access to information.

Believe it or not they actually have radio and TV up in Issarn now. Very few people in the country do not have access to information anymore. The main reason the majority of Thais prefer TRT is because of what TRT is actually doing for them rather than any failure of access to information. LOL ... again you have missed current events .... the TV and Radio stations were towing the Government line all over the country. There were no broadcasts of the PAD rallies etc. There was almost 0 mention of the allegations against Thaksin. The broadcast media ((and until very recently the print media)) have been censored both from outside and from self-censorship due to the lawsuits brought against them by the Gov.

... but the deliberate deprivation of the rural areas from getting real information would do far more to help than anything.

Ooopsie ... "but STOPPING the deliberate ...."

I dont understand the above quote. Could you expand?

If you have knowledge of vote buying you should notify the Electoral Commission immediatly.

do you want to tell there is no vote buying??

They did not get 100-300 baht??

Read some old posts, there are tons of farangs who tell exactly how much their wife/family got, some even think it is OK....

do you want to tell there is no vote buying??

They did not get 100-300 baht??

Read some old posts, there are tons of farangs who tell exactly how much their wife/family got, some even think it is OK....

It is very well known about the vote buying. My friends brother received 400 baht a day plus fuel to drive around Chiang Rai with TRT signs on his truck, The father was asked how many voters in the family and given 100 baht per voter (not sure if that was per day or a 1 off) who was voting TRT. When my friend told her father "it doesn't mean you have to vote for him" he responded with but I will, he gives me money.

its hard to deny that thaksin did move the country ahead economically although at what cost ?

Is that a statement or a question?

Also i want to add that Thai people who are ignorant or otherwise (vote buying..) in the north-east

[/q

uote]

Again ... no knowledge of current events ... or did you just miss the reports out of Ubon?

For all those brain deads out there who like the fool and the shrub (bush) I bet too here is the real score written by a friend of mine who is only teling a tiny bit of the real staory I am sure.

Civil War Averted

By-me!

At 8:30 this evening the Thai Prime Minister Taksin Shinawatra, resigned,

averting a constitutional crisis and a possible civil war. Basically an

evil, greedy man, former PM Taksin said in a television interview shortly

after his first election that the primary reason he became prime minister

was to protect his business interests.

He was already a multimillionaire (in dollars) when first elected but he

leaves office as a multi billionaire. He narrowly avoided being bared from

running for prime minister in a notorious scandal when it was learned that

his chauffeur and other household staff held millions of shares of stock,

making them paper millionaires, although it was generally concluded they

held these shares as proxies for Taksin. Such a ploy, to avoid declaring

assets is a crime in Thailand.

Taksin was vastly popular in the northern farming districts and among the

poor because of his populist promises which were rarely fulfilled.

Nevertheless the poor, having been neglected for so long were happy for

whatever bone was tossed to them. Among these were government "loans", most

of them structured to be just large enough to buy a cell phone-and Taksin's

cell phone company benefited hugely.

Narcotics are rampant in Thailand because they are cheap, manufactured just

across the border in Burma (Myanmar). Many people suggested that the Thai

government shell or bomb the offending villages but Mr. Taksin had close

financial relations with the Burmese government. He had arranged a huge

Thai government loan to Burma which was used to buy telecommunication

equipment from his company.

To avoid the embarrassment of this scandal Mr. Taksin launched a massive

anti-drug campaign which ultimately resulted in more than 3,300

extra-judicial murders which were hushed up and hardly investigated.

Shortly after the campaign ended the drug business once again flourished.

But Taksin did bring socialized medicine to Thailand with his famous "30

baht" health plan, meaning that a person had to pay just 85 US cents in

hospital fees. The plan held great promise, making it possible for millions

of poor people to receive medical attention for the first time. But most

countries which have socialized medicine have had to increase taxes and

Taksin did not do this. As a result the system was vastly under funded,

thousands of doctors quit public hospital service, expired drugs came into

common use until even they gave out, hospitals accumulated staggering debit

and the system today is on the brink of collapse.

But it is an ill wind that does not blow someone some good. Taksin and his

family apparently had a clear idea of what would happen to Thai health care

in the future. They bought vast holdings in private hospitals which were

soon flooded with middle class "for pay" customers and those with health

insurance.

Scandal was paramount among Taksin's cronies. Being appointed to a cabinet

post was the equivalent of having one's own money press. Before Taksin

completely repressed the press there was a time when 43 government scandals

were being reported at the same time. Among the most flamboyant was the

topsoil scandal.

Massive rains and flooding resulted in a multi-million dollar topsoil relief

program. But when the requirements for bidding were received it turned out

that only the topsoil company owned by the wife of the Minister of

Agriculture qualified. Strangely, none of the other bidders complained.

The reason, it turned out was that in reality the wife's company was a shell

and the "topsoil" came from all the other bidders. But when the topsoil was

delivered the enraged farmers converged on the capitol. It turned out that

instead of topsoil they had been given burned coconut husks mixed with land

fill! The Minister of Agriculture was forced to resign but was soon given

another cabinet post.

Mr. Shinawatra's audacity knew no bounds. His party passed legislation so

favorable to his telecom company, Shin, and so repressive of the competition

that after it was passed the government did not dare enforce it. Such

outrages were regularly reported in the press until many of the publications

were purchased by the prime minister's friends and their editors were fired.

TV stations lost their licenses. Primary posts in the army and police were

held by Taksin's old school friends. They raided small village low power

radio stations which opposed him. Other publications were induced to

silence by the threat of withholding massive government advertising funds.

In some cases editors, such as the editor of The Bangkok Post were simply

fired. TV stations were almost entirely controlled by the army, which was

headed by a Taksin relative. Mr. Taksin's friends bought up the one

remaining independent TV station.

Last year Mr. Taksin, formerly a policeman, was reported to be the richest

man in Thailand, a billionaire, and his wealth had increased by 40% in a

single year. His family invested in countless land and property deals of

questionable legality and many allegations were made that payoffs to party

members were common. Indeed the parliament was merely a rubber stamp for

cabinet decisions and hardly an MP dared to oppose him.

Taksin was particularly despised in the south, where there is a Moslem

majority in several districts. Since these people were traditionally

Democrats, The Thai Loves Thai Party (TRT) of Mr. Taksin withheld funds from

them until a long-simmering rebellion flared into a Moslem terrorist war in

which thousands have been killed. The Moslems were further inflamed by

several incidents of mass murder at the hands of the police which resulted

in mere hand-slaps and reassignment rather than criminal incitements. In

the recent elections it was in fact these very areas which revolted against

Taksin's party, resulting in a constitutional crisis that bought the prime

minister down.

The final straw which resulted in massive demonstrations was the secrete,

tax-free sale of Mr. Taksin's telecom company to a Singapore firm for $2

billion. Not only did Thailand lose a key asset but the money was paid

offshore and not a dime went into the treasury. Huge crowds of up to 140,000

people demonstrated without stop for weeks at a time, shutting down the

central business district and forcing the PM to call a snap election. That

election ultimately proved his undoing because Thai law that states

unopposed candidates must win at least 20% of the registered vote to be

seated. If all members are not seated the cabinet cannot be formed. All

the opposition parties boycotted the election and urged the people to vote

"No."

In the election which was held last Sunday, the middle class, who saw their

tax money being squandered, the students, the doctors and the Moslem south

entered into a massive "No" vote, approaching 50% of the total vote. This

resulted in many districts not having sufficient votes to elect a MP. The

constitutional crisis which loomed might have developed into a revolution or

civil war had the PM not resigned tonight.

Strangely, the greatest tragedy seems to be the personal tragedy of Taksin

Shinawatra himself. He was elected by a huge majority and could have led

Thailand into a golden era, achieving a reputation as the father of the

democracy. He had both the brains, the power and the wealth to do this and

he could have made many millions of dollars as well. But the human failure

of avarice robbed him of this legacy.

One must really ask what a man can further gain financially after he has a

billion dollars-but of course to this question there is no answer. Taksin's

greed grew like a cancer within him, a raging fever which burned away his

good and his chance to achieve an immortal place in Thai history. It is

most likely that hereafter he will be hounded with legal action, criminal

incitements, lawsuits and have to flee with his family to comfortable exile

in some country that does not have extradition treaties.

Mr. Shinawartra leaves behind him a country in tatters, looted, broke,

corrupt and scandal-ridden with a constitutional crisis which will most

certainly be painfully resolved. Even now, with the prime Minister gone,

the possibility of civil unrest still looms. And yet as one walks thru this

shattered battlefield of broken promises and unfulfilled dreams one must

honestly say that the biggest loser is Mr. Shinawatera himself. One wonders

if his billions will bring him the security and comfort he desired or if the

money will pale, over time, compared to the magnitude of his loss.

I don't think he will be in position to keep TRT on a short leash, especially when selecting the Cabinet. The way he ran things people didn't know about their positions until they saw it in the news. He obviously will not be able to continue like that. They'll just ask him for blessings, that's all.

So who will be bank rolling TRT's next election campaign? :o

................................................................................

It could take up to 2 years to get another election so this needs to be looked into and a way found to re run soon, or satisfy the opposition and Thai people with participation in the future of re structuring Thai politics.

Thaksin has still to face the question of all the charges laid against him no matter what, also any thing that will come to the surface while they are investigating, never forget this.

Remember this will be an independant committee that will carry this out led by a minister of proven ability and courage to get to the facts.

I also do not believe the TRT on the percentages and what they claim to have won.

The nice thing is democracy has now changed for ever after this, thanks to all the people who took part in the demonstrations.

We can be satisfied for now on what has been achieved, in my humble opinion of course.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. Just notice on this in the Nation newspaper but it is only a gesture and was expected/forecast and is at least confirmed.

Everyone needs to vote for the other candidates of course with no intimidation applied from the committees ect.

Second round of elections be held on April 23

The second round of election for 38 constituencies will be held on April 23 and the Election Commission will allow new candidates to apply.

EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp and EC commissioner Prinya Nakchudtree said new candidates could apply for the 38 constituencies which saw no winners in the Sunday election.

The 38 constituencies were contested by one-horse Thai Rak Thai candidates who failed to earn 20 per cent of votes from eligible voters in their constituency.

The election laws require a candidate with no competitors to earn at least 20 per cent votes in the constituency she or he is contesting.

Prinya said the laws' intention was aimed to have new faces proposed to voters so new applications would be allowed.

The 38 repeated elections would be held on the same day with the first round of election in Nonthaburi's Constituency 3 where a Thai Rak Thai candidate has been disqualified.

Sorry if this is a repeated obsevation as i,m using an Int.Shop and the provision of equipt ect is the usual low standard.

Took me nearly 3/4 hour to do this post and finnish it, talk about slow and old.

[Reply to earlier edited and deleted speculations deleted. My apologies, but this type of speculations are not allowed. Thank you for understanding. /Meadish]

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Gen. Prem denies to comment on the political situation

Statesman and Privy Council Chairman, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), has refused to give any comment over the political situation following the announcement of Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra that he will not take the post of Prime Minister.

Gen. Prem believes that the ongoing situation will ease as most parties have anticipated. However, he has denied giving any opinion over the current situation as well as the economic issues, adding that he is not an expert in economy.

DPM Chitchai is unworried about the rally planned on April 7th

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) revealed that he is not concern over the demonstration of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which will take place on the 7th of April.

Deputy Prime Minister Chitchai referred to the decision of the protestors who insist to hold the demonstration on April 7th until the end of this month. He disclosed that he is not worried since the officials can take care of the situation. He said the number of officials will be reduced according to the circumstances.

He indicated that people will use more consideration after caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has announced his resignation on a television program last night.

The Justice Minister denied commenting on the news claiming that an arrest warrant has been issued for one of the core leaders of PAD, Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) instead of issuing summons, adding that the officials who are investigating various cases will be able to provide more information on this legal matter.