Pm Thaksin Resigns

george

Thaksin says he will remain a member of parliament and the TRT party leader, so if another TRT member becomes the next PM then technically Thaksin will be the next PM's leader. The vote count makes it quite clear that TRT will easily win any 4 party race so Thaksin haters shouldn't cheer too early.

It seems more of a face saving move for all parties to reconcile without appearing to have been defeated before the all important aniversary coming up in 2 months.

Not quite sure that the PAD will roll over this easy though.....

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were quoting the Thai news agencies then?

No, they had an Indian guy answering studio questions on the phone, and praising Thaksin's CEO style leadership.

Watching him here for the past five years conviced many people that he's more like a Chinese family business leader than CEO, as it's known in the West.

Nation update

I will not accept post of premier in the next government : Thaksin

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced on Tuesday that he will not take the premiership in the next government.

He said his decision is aimed at restoring unity in the country and that the country is celebrating HM the King's 60th anniversary on the throne.

His abrupt announcement came after he was granted an audience with HM the King at Hua Hin palace in the afternoon.

On television Monday night, Thaksin said he saw no reason to resign since results showed that his party had won 16 million votes - enough for a victory but down from the sweeping mandate of 19 million votes his party received last year.

He apologised to the 16 million people who voted for him and his Thai Rak Thai Party in last Sunday's election.

"My main reason for not accepting the post of prime minister is because this year is an auspicious year for the king, whose 60th anniversary on the throne is just 60 days away," Thaksin said in a nationally televised press conference.

"I want all Thais to reunite," he said,"we have no time to quarrel. I want to see Thai people unite and forget what has happened, he said.

However he said he would remain in the position of caretaker prime minister until Parliament selects the new prime minister.

"I will remain a member of parliament and the Thai Rak Thai party leader."

Thaksin and his family who were at the Government House were all in tears after he made the announcement.

Weeping Khunying Pojaman, Thaksin's wife, had to try to comfort tearful Thaksin.

Some cabinet members, including caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Suriya Juengrungruengkit, former PM's Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva and former Government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee, were seen heavily crying.

The Shinawatra family left the Government House in a car driven by Thaksin himself.

The Nation

My guess is, and I may be wrong, that the opposition will now run in the by-elections. Parliament will be filled. Somkid will become PM. The 60 th celebration will go ahead. Electoral reform will be the priority probably thriough a neutralish body. There will be a new election in 12-15 months. The usual suspects will realign within parties. We may even end up back with the old style coalition government although some of the old influential faces will be gone. And all the megaprojects, privatisations and free trade agreements will be delayed until a government elected under an ammended constitution is formed.

Finally, all ex pats will remain utterly paranoid.

The Nation:

"Second round of elections be held on April 23

The second round of election for 38 constituencies will be held on April 23 and the Election Commission will allow new candidates to apply.

EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp and EC commissioner Prinya Nakchudtree said new candidates could apply for the 38 constituencies which saw no winners in the Sunday election.

The 38 constituencies were contested by one-horse Thai Rak Thai candidates who failed to earn 20 per cent of votes from eligible voters in their constituency.

The election laws require a candidate with no competitors to earn at least 20 per cent votes in the constituency she or he is contesting.

Prinya said the laws' intention was aimed to have new faces proposed to voters so new applications would be allowed.

The 38 repeated elections would be held on the same day with the first round of election in Nonthaburi's Constituency 3 where a Thai Rak Thai candidate has been disqualified."

This seems to contradict what was earlier said:

"The Election Commission will have to hold sub-sequent elections for constituencies where the one-horse candidates fail to earn votes up to 20 per cent of votes from eligible voters but the same candidates would have to run and no new candidates can apply.[/color]

Not sure if the law allows for new parties to apply, but sure I read somewhere about that so shall see if I can find that.

I think the easiest solution now would be if the constitutional court uphold the PAD's complaint that the elections were unconstitutional as they did not allow for secrecy of voting, and ordered new elections, this time with all parties participating. They have the backing of the National Human Rights Commission, PollWatch, and The Asian Network for Free Elections.

"PollWatch calls for investigation against EC

A civic group Tuesday petitioned two independent organisations to litigate against the Election Commission (EC) accused of violating the charter provisions relating to the Sunday's election.

PollWatch said in its two separate petitions that the EC had failed to ensure voter privacy when casting votes, hence violating Article 104 of the Constitution as well as human rights.

It also claimed that the EC had violated Article 47 for displaying the information of selected candidates from Thai Rak Thai Party prominently at balloting stations which can be construed as favouritism.

Its petitions asked the National Human Rights Commission and the Office of Ombudsman to initiate the judicial review of the Constitution Court.

If found guilty, the EC will have to cancel the election outcome.

The Asian Network for Free Elections, a regional advocacy group for election monitor and human rights, co-signed the petitions."

"Human rights commission denounces voting method as unconstitutional

The National Human Rights Commission on Monday said the polling method in which voters could be seen casting ballots violated the intention of the Constitution.

The commission issued a statement saying the way the Election Commission organised voting booths violated the Constitution which required voting to be made with secrecy.

However, the booths made it possible for people standing outside to see how voters cast their votes."

Edited by konangrit

The call to go to Hua Hin came just a few hours after his very belligerent and defiant national broadcast last night.

He was told to go in no other terms.

This is final. He will respect His Majesty's wishes and I suspect Thaksin will retire from politics in the not too distant future.

That is a strong statement you made. Do you have any sources?

I would not presume to speak on behalf of the King unless I was real sure of what he said.

CNN had analysts discussing the situation and simultaneiously exposing their ignorance.

They were quoting the Thai news agencies then? :D

cv

Cdnvic - Spot on :D

Channel News Asia is providing honest, accurate, and educated analysis ... as they often do.

507 User(s) are reading this topic :o

too bad the thread rating system only goes up to 5... this is a 100 star thread for Thailand.

Edited by sriracha john

The call to go to Hua Hin came just a few hours after his very belligerent and defiant national broadcast last night.

He was told to go in no other terms.

On what basis do you make these claims? I don't like Thaksin either, but I try to be very cautious at any attempts to divine the Palace's intentions when it comes to political matters.

Thaksin looked like he had seen a ghost to me. He was nothing like the person he was the night before.

Don't forget this is about corruption in office. This is the key to the protestors staying silent.

With Thaksins hand removed from the Thai media's microphone who knows what may come out over the airwaves. Don't think that the country people know all that was being said against Thaksin by the protestors. Some people will defend Thaksin as they defend their football teams. But many others will want to know why he had to step down. The truth must be heard.

For the first time in years Superman, Batman, and Spiderman aren't killed at the end of the movie. Justice has a chance.

Edited by boppia

Mod maybe you can rename this topic in: "Pm Thaksin Resigns maybe, a little bit, or not or take a brake or so?"

To h90:

Thanks for the fun! Haven't laughed so much in a long time!

No new faces in by-elections, that's what has been mentioned in The Nation yesterday as well.

The Election Law doesn't stipulate that, though

Section 74

" In the case where one remaining candidate, standing for an election under paragraph one, receives votes of less than twenty percent of the total number of electors in that constituency, the Election Commission shall hold a new election in such costituency."

http://www.ect.go.th/english/laws/organicl...ection.html#1-1

Even if new candidates can apply - do they have any? I mean those small parites who fielded hundreds of unqualified candidates in the first round?

Also worth taking notice of is the fact that if after there has been a full enquiry in to the allegations made against him and he is cleared of any wrong doing. HE WILL BE BACK.

And I'd wager that PM will be cleared and he will be back. :o

Possibly, but considering his wealth and time spent in the public eye I wonder if he would want to come back.

So where are the results? They were unofficially being constantly updated after the election, then nothing for well over 24 hours, although Thaksin seemed to know the final results by then already. Yet still no Official results from the EC, and now not even recent unofficial ones from the media. Something very suspicous going on here.

When Korn was talking with BBC he said that since it's believed that Thaksin entered politics to expand and protect his business empire, and that he achieved his goals, there's no reason for him to come back.

only for the STATS...

bak THAKSIN >>

---------

APPOINTED March 11, 2005

BIRTH DATE/PLACE July 26,1949 / Chiangmai Province

RELIGION Buddhism

MARITAL STATUS Married with Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra (Damapong)

# EDUCATION BACKGROUND 1973 - Graduated from the Police Cadet Academy in Thailand

# 1975 - Master Degree in Criminal Justice, Eastern Kentucky University, U.S.A.

# 1978 - Doctorate Degree in Criminal Justice, Sam Houston State University, U.S.A.

# EXPERIENCES 1973-1987 - Joined the Royal Thai Police Department and was promoted to Police Lieutenant Colonel in 1987. Last position was Deputy Superintendent of the Policy and Planning Sub-division, General Staff Division, Metropolitan Police Bureau

# 1987-1994

- Started Shinawatra Computer and Communications Group

- Chairman of Shinawatra Computer and Communications Group

# POLITICAL APPOINTMENT Novermber 2,1994 - February 10, 1995 - Minister of Foreign Affiairs

# May 28, 1995 to November 18, 1996 - Leader of the Palang Dharma Party

# July 20, 1995 to August 14,1996 - Deputy Prime Minister (in charge of traffic and transportation in Bangkok)

# August 15,1997 to November 14, 1997 - Deputy Prime Minister

# July 14,1998 - present - Established the Thai Rak Thai Party and Leader of Thai Rak Thai Party

# January 6,1998 to February 9, 2001 - Member of the Parliament (Party List)

# February 9,2001 - The 23rd Prime Minister of Thailand

# March 11, 2005 - The 24rd Prime Minister of Thailand

# SOCIAL ROLES 20 September 1993

- Found the THAICOM Foundation, (initiating the satellite education program for young children in remote areas unable to continue their education at the secondary school level)

- Vice Chairman of the THAICOM Foundation

# 1994 - present - Chairman of the Advisory Committee of Pre-Cadet Class 10 & Police Cadet Class 26

# September 12,1998 - President of the Northerners' Association of Thailand

# February 9, 1999 - Honorary Chairman of the Northern Thai Association of Washington, D.C., U.S.A

# June 28, 1999 - Honorary Advisor of the Thai Northerners Association of Illinois, U.S.A.

# AWARDS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 1992 - Awarded the "1992 ASEAN Businessman of the Year" from the ASEAN Institute, Indonesia

# 1992 - Awarded the "Kiattiyod Jakdao" in Economical Development from the Committee of the Armed forces Preparatory School Foundation

# 1994

- The "1993 Outstanding Telecom Man of the year Award"

- Honored as 1 of 12 Leading Asian Businessmen by the Singapore Business Times

- One of the finalists of the Asian CEO of the year selected by the Financial World

- Invited as the first Thai and third fellow to attend the "Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellowship" program

# 1996

- Received the "Outstanding Criminal Justice Alumnus Award" from the Criminal Justice Center, Sam Houston State University

- Honored the "Distinguished Alumni Award" from Sam Houston State University

# 1997 - Received the Honorary Award as the Outstanding Politician (who has contributed significantly to the society) from the Mass Media Photographer Association of Thailand (MPA)

# March 29 to April 4, 1998 - Attended the Special Visitor Program as Special Guest of the Australian Government

# November 8 to November 11, 1999 - Special Guest of the Chinese People's Institute Foreign Affairs, the People's Republic of China

# ROYAL DECORATIONS 2002 - Knight Commander (Second Class, lower grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao

# 2002 - The Most Blessed Order Of Setia Negara Brunei (P.S.N.B.)

# 2001 - Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn

# 1996 - Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

# 1995 - Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

-----------

Edited by lung

Who cares a view months...

PARTY GUYS ole ole ole

Suhibidubi

finally corruption has received it's fist in the face...

Hope this bastard will be punished soon, for his dictorael, short-minded monologue styled rulership

Great news...suhibidubi ...jabadabaduuuuuu

I wonder what the final trigger was?

doesn't matter as long he will be gone for sure for ever!

Party !!!!!!

:o

please temper your comments and be polite, to bad mouth another person is not the Thai way please make your comments in a dignified manner and show respect for others regardless of thier political or morel beliefs.

my name is Breconman.

According to Channel 11 this evening the ball is now in the PAD court

- some factions are still calling for a royally appointed PM

- others want nothing less than the removal of Thai Rak Thai

- many more won't accept Thaksin remaining as an MP

The protests may very well continue.

I think they're goin' to demand he leaves politics totally - and doesn't just step aside - although I personally believe he will quit of his own accord soon.

Felt depressed this morning when I woke - because of the stalemate - but feel much better now and having a celebratory drink. :o

Edited by bulmercke

According to Channel 11 this evening the ball is now in the PAD court

- some factions are still calling for a royally appointed PM

- others want nothing less than the removal of Thai Rak Thai

- many more won't accept Thaksin remaining as an MP

The protests may very well continue.

I think they're goin' to demand he leaves politics totally - and doesn't just step aside - although I personally believe he will quit of his own desire soon.

Felt depressed this morning when I woke - because of the stalemate - but feel much better now and having a celebratory drink. :D

PAD's making an arse out of itself. :o

Thaksin says he will remain a member of parliament and the TRT party leader, so if another TRT member becomes the next PM then technically Thaksin will be the next PM's leader. The vote count makes it quite clear that TRT will easily win any 4 party race so Thaksin haters shouldn't cheer too early.

Seen it all before he's not gone! 'Technically' is the operative word, he will just be like some of the other former PM's who take on advisory positions but in fact pull the strings from behind the scenes Such is the Thai Kriengjai, face saving respect system.

I don't think he will be in position to keep TRT on a short leash, especially when selecting the Cabinet. The way he ran things people didn't know about their positions until they saw it in the news. He obviously will not be able to continue like that. They'll just ask him for blessings, that's all.

I also heard the Sudarat decided to take a break, too, but then Thaksin came on TV and I forgot about her.

Anyone heard anything about Sudarat?

*****PM to step aside for national reconciliation*****

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra officially announced Tuesday evening that he would step down for the sake of national reconciliation.

Appearing on TV pool, Mr. Thaksin announced that he would not accept the premiership despite his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party won the majority vote of around 16 million in the April 2 general election.

"I won't accept the premiership in a selection process when the House of Representatives convenes its first session after the general election," he declared.

Mr. Thaksin said he decided to step down from power to end the country's political standoff and restore national peaceful order and unity to pay tribute to His Majesty the King on the auspicious occasion of the 60th anniversary of the beloved monarch's ascension to the throne this year.

The caretaker premier said, however, that he would be in office until a new prime minister from his TRT Party is elected in the House, and that he would continue to be the leader of the TRT Party and a member of the House of Representatives.

Mr. Thaksin apologized the 16 million eligible voters who support him and his TRT Party, saying he had to give priority to the national interest.

"As an MP, I will still visit people in various areas and the TRT-led government will continue to implement policies earlier prominsed to the voters, namely the war on drugs, the Bt30 per hospital visit, the poverty eradication and mega development projects," he pledged.

Mr. Thaksin said Monday evening in a live TV talk show, Krong Sathanakarn, on government-run TV Channel 11 that he would be open to every channel which could help end the current political standoff--even stepping down with a leader from his TRT Party being assigned to, instead, take the premiership until the second-round political reform taken part by all parties concerned is completed over the next 15 months and a new general election is held.

This proposal is on conditions that the former three main opposition parties, including the Democrat, the Chart Thai and the Mahachon Parties, end their boycott and run in next general elections, and that an anti-government movement led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) end their two-month rallies.

Both the former oppostion bloc and the PAD have accepted the caretaker premier's proposal.

Mr. Thaksin officially announced his decision after seeking an audience with His Majesty the King at Klaikangvol Palace in the upper southern province of Prachuap Khiri Khan Tuesday afternoon.

--TNA 2006-04-04

I don't think he will be in position to keep TRT on a short leash, especially when selecting the Cabinet. The way he ran things people didn't know about their positions until they saw it in the news. He obviously will not be able to continue like that. They'll just ask him for blessings, that's all.

I also heard the Sudarat decided to take a break, too, but then Thaksin came on TV and I forgot about her.

Anyone heard anything about Sudarat?

I heard the rumors about her and her leader which shouldnt be repeated I guess

Seen it all before he's not gone! 'Technically' is the operative word, he will just be like some of the other former PM's who take on advisory positions but in fact pull the strings from behind the scenes Such is the Thai Kriengjai, face saving respect system.

Greng jai has nothing to do with saving face.