Crash helmet

splodger

I would buy in a country where you can be sure the product is as safe as it claims to be and not flooded with Chinese copies/fake products bearing fake certifications.

As far as KiteMarks go these are British Standards Institute mark of product conforming to a BSI standard in the case of crash helmets for motorbikes this is BS6658:1985

http://www.kitemark.com/products-and-services/protective-clothing/motorcycle-helmets.php

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-helmet-law

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

Where can I buy a good helmet,and roughly how much?Also what "kite mark"should I look for?

If you want a decent reasonable cost helmet then the REAL brand are decent. They are also DOT standard . Can get in most bike shops in Thailand. If you have a big bike then Panda rider in Bkk or similar shop. I think that there is a shop in Srichai .Look on Mocyc.com.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thaicbr

The shop GT Rider(?) on Pattaya Tai (South), right at soi 8, has Real, Bilmola, Index, Shark helmets. I've had a Bilmola Advance model (2200 baht) for a year now. It's a nice, comfortable, open-face helmet, with removable, washable inner foam. I forget the certification (I don't have the helmet at hand), but it took a pavement crack (yes, my head was in it) and did its job. Have ordered another.

• Like 1

The problem is that although imported helmet will exceed any standard in Thailand, helmet not having Thai Industrial Standard Institute mark is in a legal grey area, in that although the relevant bodies says that's it's okay and they accept marks from other, more stringent institute, the boys in brown see this as a loophole and a possible revenue source when you're pulled over,

Here's the Thai TISI mark

content2232551142848.jpg

At shops like Panda rider or Dirt shop, on their helmet shelf there are sign in Thai to the effect that these helmets are for off-road, competition use only, lest the shop be raided for selling unroadworthy helmets,

Luckily the TISI mark are on everything from electric kettle or cheap 400 baht helmets you get thrown in with a PCX, so peel one off whatever and stick it inside your good helmet and you're done.

Edited by brummiebob

go spend a few hundred quid on a quality lid forget all this index etc they are better than nothing yes but its a one shot deal your trying to protect your head not your wallet you cant spend money on a second chance thats one reason why so many thais die on motorbikes no helmet or a plastic piece of crap only usable for a skateboard .

• Like 1

Do any of the better locally available brands do full face with fitted bluetooth?

Mine is getting a little old and love having some music on the way to work.

I know there are fit in kits but prefer something built in.

The helmet that saved my life in a bike accident about a year ago was an 800 Baht Space Crown. The helmet was a write-off but my face still intact and I hit the road face down at about 50 kmph. At 80+ kmph whatever helmet would not have made much of difference.

• Like 1

Is the helmet for "head" protection ? or for "getting a fine" protection ? Posted Image

All the more reason for buying a helmet in Thailand and not off the net. Make sure it fits properly.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Is the helmet for "head" protection ? or for "getting a fine" protection ? cheesy.gif

All the more reason for buying a helmet in Thailand and not off the net. Make sure it fits properly.

And snuggly fasten the chin strap, or assuredly the helmet will fly off and you will soon be bareheaded before hitting the asphalt or tree or truck etc.

protect your head not your wallet you cant spend money on a second chance thats one reason why so many thais die on motorbikes no helmet or a plastic piece of crap only usable for a skateboard .

Percentage-wise, the death rate of farangs may be as high as the Thais on account of wearing no helmet (before the BIB extort them) or of wearing the plastic pieces of crap, happy to saved money otherwise wasted on a proper helmet. You'll see lots of such farang riding around Pattaya; I really wince when I see a helmetless bald head. And even on the plastic piece of crap, the farangs may not fasten the strap. Saw that just yesterday.

Funniest is when the plastic piece of crap is much too small for the farang head, so that it rides on top of the head. Or when it seems glued on, esp in the case of a stupid bald farang.

• Like 1

The helmet that saved my life in a bike accident about a year ago was an 800 Baht Space Crown. The helmet was a write-off but my face still intact and I hit the road face down at about 50 kmph. At 80+ kmph whatever helmet would not have made much of difference.

I'd like to add that it was a full face helmet. That is probably the single most important factor otherwise your face is not protected and if you hit the road face first as I did there won't be much left over from your face.

protect your head not your wallet you cant spend money on a second chance thats one reason why so many thais die on motorbikes no helmet or a plastic piece of crap only usable for a skateboard .

Percentage-wise, the death rate of farangs may be as high as the Thais on account of wearing no helmet (before the BIB extort them) or of wearing the plastic pieces of crap, happy to saved money otherwise wasted on a proper helmet. You'll see lots of such farang riding around Pattaya; I really wince when I see a helmetless bald head. And even on the plastic piece of crap, the farangs may not fasten the strap. Saw that just yesterday.

Funniest is when the plastic piece of crap is much too small for the farang head, so that it rides on top of the head. Or when it seems glued on, esp in the case of a stupid bald farang.

Stupid bald farangs? That statement alone is not nice. Are you not a farang yourself?

Myself, I am against helmet laws and it has been statistically proven that most deaths in the USA on motorcycles were not from the fall but because the helmet was so heavy that it breaks your neck. Google it.

I always wear a helmet here because I don't like paying fines as it is illegal.

To each his own but I do recommend not so experienced riders in Thailand to use as much protection as possible and the OP is smart asking about a GOOD helmet.

Stupid bald farangs? That statement alone is not nice. Are you not a farang yourself?

Myself, I am against helmet laws and it has been statistically proven that most deaths in the USA on motorcycles were not from the fall but because the helmet was so heavy that it breaks your neck. Google it.

To each his own but I do recommend not so experienced riders in Thailand to use as much protection as possible and the OP is smart asking about a GOOD helmet. 

I say <deleted> to your idea about helmets breaking necks.

And I have had a few were if I was not wearing a helmet I would be dead now.

You wear a helmet for the protection it gives against the hard concrete/ asphalt road.

• Like 2

Some good other suggestions already but agree buy from a reliable country you cant trust anything to be genuine or safe in Thailand, I would say avoid anything under 3000 baht and expect to pay 5000, One annoying thing is the limited size options (Thai moto.. One size fits all....) which basically means we are lazy and dont want to stock each size.
The shop on the corner of Soi Bongkot has a lot of helmets, and all are size L, they do not offer any other size, a poorly fitting helmet is dangerous

Is that why Formula 1 drivers do NOT wear helmets? Is that why Moto GP riders do NOT wear helmets? Is that why motorcycle cops do NOT wear helmets? Is that why power boat drivers do NOT wear helmets? Is that why racing course students do NOT wear helmets? Is that why governing bodies around the world do NOT mandate helmets?

Wait a minute, they do wear helmets. What a load of dinosaur excrement you write, Gone. LOL. And you only wear a helmet because you want to avoid a fine? You need to reread what you just wrote.

• Like 2

Some good other suggestions already but agree buy from a reliable country you cant trust anything to be genuine or safe in Thailand, I would say avoid anything under 3000 baht and expect to pay 5000, One annoying thing is the limited size options (Thai moto.. One size fits all....)  which basically means we are lazy and dont want to stock each size.

The shop on the corner of Soi Bongkot has a lot of helmets, and all are size L, they do not offer any other size, a poorly fitting helmet is dangerous

Most helmet manufacturers have 2 helmet sizes then they use the padding in the helmet to size it. REAL supply additional padding in the different sizes. Maybe you need to enquire.

Percentage-wise, the death rate of farangs may be as high as the Thais on account of%2

Is that why Formula 1 drivers do NOT wear helmets? Is that why Moto GP riders do NOT wear helmets? Is that why motorcycle cops do NOT wear helmets? Is that why power boat drivers do NOT wear helmets? Is that why racing course students do NOT wear helmets? Is that why governing bodies around the world do NOT mandate helmets?

Wait a minute, they do wear helmets. What a load of dinosaur excrement you write, Gone. LOL. And you only wear a helmet because you want to avoid a fine? You need to reread what you just wrote.

Why would I need to re-read my post? I think it should be a choice. Sometimes I would choose to wear one and other times I would choose not to.

Even in Canada people who wear turbines don't have to wear then because of "religious" beliefs. Is that fair?

Anyways like I say Google the stats.

PS: I also did say that the OP is making a wise decision.

Edited by Gone

Lighten up man, the man voice in a opinion

• 2 weeks later...

We all cool down here a bit.

As for gone's claim, I find it a bit unorthodox, but always happy to learn more. Please provide a link to prove your point as otherwise we have here a violation of that forum rule dealing with false information.

I for one would be dead without my full face helmet.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From Wikipedia:

Motorcycle Safety

" .....

Two major scientific research studies into the causes of motorcycle accidents have been conducted in North America and Europe: the Hurt Report and the MAIDS report.

Hurt Report
Main article: Hurt Report

A major work done on this subject in the USA is the Hurt Report, published in 1981 with data collected in Los Angeles and the surrounding rural areas.[7] ...

The Hurt Report concluded with a list of 55 findings, as well as several major recommendations for law enforcement and legislation. Among these, 75% of motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, usually a car. In the MAIDS report, the figure is 60%.

Other notable findings in the Hurt report (quoted below) were:[9]

• 75% of accidents were found to involve a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, while the remaining 25% of accidents were single motorcycle accidents.
  • "In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide-out and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering."
  • "Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement" and "injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size."
  • In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
  • The report's additional findings show that the wearing of appropriate gear, specifically, helmets and durable garment, mitigates crash injuries substantially.
  • "Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat" and "Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents."
  • "The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents... Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."
MAIDS report
Main article: MAIDS report

The most recent large-scale study of motorcycle accidents is the MAIDS report carried out in five European countries in 1999 to 2000, using the rigorous OECD standards, including a statistically significant sample size of over 900 crash incidents and over 900 control cases.

The MAIDS report tends to support most of the Hurt Report findings, for example that "69% of the OV [other vehicle] drivers attempted no collision avoidance manoeuvre," suggesting they did not see the motorcycle. And further that, "the largest number of PTW [powered two-wheeler] accidents is due to a perception failure on the part of the OV driver or the PTW rider." And "The data indicates that in 68.7% of all cases, the helmet was capable of preventing or reducing the head injury sustained by the rider (i.e., 33.2% + 35.5%). In 3.6% of all cases, the helmet was found to have no effect upon head injury" and "There were no reported cases in which the helmet was identified as the contact code for a serious or maximum neck injury." (emphasis added).

I am no fan of mandatory helmet laws, but to say that helmets do not significantly reduce the liklihood of head injury in the event of a motorcycle accident is rediculous. It is your head and you should have the right to break it, but anyone with any sense should voluntarily and willingly wear a helmet when they ride on a motorcycle. Next.......

• Like 2