Drivers License - Tourist Visa

zib

Hi

I just feel that I have to start a new thread about this since nothing i've read in past threads have been correct. Also for example the text on http://www.thaivisa.com/thai-driving-license.html

I went to Phuket Town Immigration a few days ago to get a "Proof of Residency"-certificate because I was going to buy a new motorbike.

While submitting the form I asked the officer if it was possible to get a Car and Motorbike drivers license on a TR visa. He replied that they did not have any special VISA requirements when it came to getting a drivers license.

Because what I read in the past on thaivisa.com among others I asked him if he was sure about this (heh). He checked with his collegue next to him who also said that there is no VISA requirement except for that you need a real VISA and no the "on arrival 30 day"-one.

2 days after I went to the Road dept in Phuket Town and converted my International license to Thai within 15 minutes. Not sure they even looked at my VISA.

• Like 1

Not really sure what you are trying to say other than that you could not be bothered to read all the threads - and I don't really blame you for that.

However it has been very well documented in multiple different threads that every Driver Licencing Centre interpretates the regulations as they want and even differently depending on the day and individual concerned.

For example re the comments above on visa - I have only ever entered on a visa waiver and have received and renewed my DL and am about to (hopefully unsure.png ) do so again.

The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain..........

• Like 1

I presume you got a 1 year license? Because that is the official rule, and afaik also the Phuket rule: tourist visa 1 year license, for 5 year license non-immigrant visa required.

Visa exempt entry: sometimes a 1-year DL will be granted, sometimes not.

And that is also the rule that you will see here on the TV forums.

• Like 1

Not really sure what you are trying to say other than that you could not be bothered to read all the threads - and I don't really blame you for that.

However it has been very well documented in multiple different threads that every Driver Licencing Centre interpretates the regulations as they want and even differently depending on the day and individual concerned.

For example re the comments above on visa - I have only ever entered on a visa waiver and have received and renewed my DL and am about to (hopefully unsure.png ) do so again.

The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain..........

Yeah the main point here was that the immigrations officers actually said it. Not the Driver Licensing Centre. I just felt bad for other people reading guides etc, like the one on thaivisa.com, where it says explicitely "Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don’t qualify)"

I presume you got a 1 year license? Because that is the official rule, and afaik also the Phuket rule: tourist visa 1 year license, for 5 year license non-immigrant visa required.

What I read at the driving license entre,or well what I got translated for me by my wife since it was in thai, was that everyone gets the 1 year license at first and then you just renew for the 5 year one. Applied even to Thais she said.

What I read at the driving license entre,or well what I got translated for me by my wife since it was in thai, was that everyone gets the 1 year license at first and then you just renew for the 5 year one. Applied even to Thais she said.

True, but for the 5 year license a non-immigrant visa is required.

There's no such thing as an IDL. If the OP got real lucky and they issued a 1-year Thai DL against an International Driving Permit (IDP) from his host country without checking the actual driving license that the IDP was issued against OR his visa status, I would recommend he go and buy a lottery ticket or two as well!!

• Like 2

There's no such thing as an IDL. If the OP got real lucky and they issued a 1-year Thai DL against an International Driving Permit (IDP) from his host country without checking the actual driving license that the IDP was issued against OR his visa status, I would recommend he go and buy a lottery ticket or two as well!!

I went to my consulate a few days before and got a translation of my drivers license and a consulate stamp saying it was verified etc. At the driving license center they just wrote "INTER" on the application and that was it.

My 5 year TDLs (auto and motocy) expire next year and I no longer live in LOS with a non immigrant visa. I wonder if it wiill be sufficienf to show a condo contract with a tourist visa to renew, or will I need a retirement or ed visa or something more permanent than a 30 day visa to renew.... ?

Any thoughts?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To the OP ...

You have given a good example of Universal Laws not being applied Universally in Thailand.

I had read stories of the Licensing Centre in Pattaya/Jontiem issuing 1 year Driver Licences on a Tourist Visa.

So I had my Thai gf phone through to the Licensing Centre in Samut Prakan (near Bangkok) to confirm that it was possible because the weight of information here from other members was that it's not doable.

The lady of the phone said 'no problem' ... gf happy, I was sceptical.

Yes, I had an International Drivers Permit.

So we rocked up to the Licensing Centre and confirmed the information ... all we had to do was to pop on down to the Immigration office and get the Residency Certificate (or similar, maybe I don't have the correct term).

On arrival there I was told flatly NO ... a Tourist Visa does not qualify me for a Residency Certificate ... game over.

So zib, you were lucky that you received a Thai Driving licence, from that officer in Phuket.

But you also offer false hope that the experience can be replicated throughout Thailand.

Thanks, zib! Very interesting post. You thought out of the box. Why didn't I think of this...facepalm.gifthumbsup.gif

You merely converted the IDL. clap2.gif

No ... he just got lucky.

That is assuming that what he calls a 'TR visa' is a standard 60 Tourist Visa.

My 5 year TDLs (auto and motocy) expire next year and I no longer live in LOS with a non immigrant visa. I wonder if it wiill be sufficienf to show a condo contract with a tourist visa to renew, or will I need a retirement or ed visa or something more permanent than a 30 day visa to renew.... ?

Any thoughts?

You'll get 1 year. for 5 year non-immigrant visa is required.

To the OP ...

You have given a good example of Universal Laws not being applied Universally in Thailand.

I had read stories of the Licensing Centre in Pattaya/Jontiem issuing 1 year Driver Licences on a Tourist Visa.

So I had my Thai gf phone through to the Licensing Centre in Samut Prakan (near Bangkok) to confirm that it was possible because the weight of information here from other members was that it's not doable.

The lady of the phone said 'no problem' ... gf happy, I was sceptical.

Yes, I had an International Drivers Permit.

So we rocked up to the Licensing Centre and confirmed the information ... all we had to do was to pop on down to the Immigration office and get the Residency Certificate (or similar, maybe I don't have the correct term).

On arrival there I was told flatly NO ... a Tourist Visa does not qualify me for a Residency Certificate ... game over.

So zib, you were lucky that you received a Thai Driving licence, from that officer in Phuket.

But you also offer false hope that the experience can be replicated throughout Thailand.

Ok. Well I've got a "Proof of Residency"-cert 3 times. Two times in Phuket and one time in Bangkok. Never had any problems with it. All on Tourist Visa. Keep in mind also that there's 2 types. a "Proof of Residency" and a "Residency Certficiate". The first one is just for confirming where you live while the second one is a certficiate that you have received residency status in Thailand. For the second one you need a non-immigrant visa etc.

Any thoughts?

You'll get 1 year. for 5 year non-immigrant visa is required.

Yeah all makes sense.

Thanks, zib! Very interesting post. You thought out of the box. Why didn't I think of this...facepalm.gifthumbsup.gif

You merely converted the IDL. clap2.gif

No ... he just got lucky.

That is assuming that what he calls a 'TR visa' is a standard 60 Tourist Visa.

Yes TR is the official term. But i've always had double or triple entry.

From the OP.

2 days after I went to the Road dept in Phuket Town and converted my International license to Thai within 15 minutes. Not sure they even looked at my VISA.

In actuality, his home country drivers license was what he used, which is what is needed to get a Thai DL. The OP calling it an 'international license' is incorrect. Just because some desk clerk noted it as 'Inter' on the application paperwork doesn't make it an international anything.

Also, the OP is 'not sure' if they looked at his passport which again is an assumption that they didn't.

So, to recap, a passport with a visa and a valid home country drivers license is needed to get a Thai DL. SOMETIMES an applicant will get a Thai DL with only the permission to stay stamp and SOMETIMES a Thai DL can be renewed with just a permission to stay stamp.

But we knew all this already didn't we?

Hello guys,

I don't have a drivers license in my own country.

I assume i can still get a thai drivers license but that i will have to do additional theory and practice tests or something, is this correct?

What do I need to study for the theory? Will the theory test be available in English? (my thai is very bad)

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Im looking to buy the mrs a car, in order for me to drive it when i am in Thailand do i need to get a thai driving liscense or is my UK one valid? Also how does this work with insurance? Iam only in Thailand a few times each year on 30 day visa.

Im looking to buy the mrs a car, in order for me to drive it when i am in Thailand do i need to get a thai driving liscense or is my UK one valid? Also how does this work with insurance? Iam only in Thailand a few times each year on 30 day visa.

Presuming you're here visa exempt, so without visa, as you mention a few times each year you're ok with your UK license.

Also the car insurance is fine with that, provided you don't have a policy with named drivers.

Presuming you're here visa exempt, so without visa, as you mention a few times each year you're ok with your UK license.

Also the car insurance is fine with that, provided you don't have a policy with named drivers.

Excellent thanks

Stevenl are you certain about that - I was led to believe that you had to have an IDP? Which is easy enough to get from your home country especially in UK.

Stevenl are you certain about that - I was led to believe that you had to have an IDP? Which is easy enough to get from your home country especially in UK.

Yes, many people are led to believe that, but it is not required provided the home license is in English, has a photo and is valid (and of course is valid for the vehicle driven).

• Like 1

Do you think it would be wise to let the insurance company used know that you are driving on a UK license, in view of allegedly read of some companies stating in their small print only valid with a Thai driving license.

Do you think it would be wise to let the insurance company used know that you are driving on a UK license, in view of allegedly read of some companies stating in their small print only valid with a Thai driving license.

No insurance company has that in their small print, that is just the usual scare mongering.

They may have in their conditions 'valid license', so UK license is ok.

No insurance company has that in their small print, that is just the usual scare mongering.

Maybe " stevie " I have never read one in my life to be honest, biggrin.png .

On some sites read by people it does make you think telling the insurance about your license is worth the question maybe.

This one states small print :- even though it is about being non-tourist after a certain amount of time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.Licence.Requirements.html

if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand.

On some sites read by people it does make you think telling the insurance about your license is worth the question maybe.

This one states small print :- even though it is about being non-tourist after a certain amount of time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.Licence.Requirements.html

if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand.

Yes, that is because 'after a certain amount of time' a Thai DL is legally required (3 months the 'certain amount of time' is I believe).

I think the time criteria is the clincher in this non-debate. If only visiting 3 or 4 times a year, then the UK DL will suffice. One can always spend a fiver at the Post Office and get a UK IDP for 'belt and braces.'

Now, if someone is here almost all the time through dint of visa-running, learning the language or working, married or retired and is generally living in bought or rented accommodation, then driving on (in this instance) a UK DL is a bit tenuous to say the least.

Posted while stevenl was correctly indicating that anything longer than 3 continuous months in LOS is the accepted yardstick.

Edited by NanLaew

I'll get the IDL when next in UK to be sure, will also get her to check with insurance company the specifics just incase. I dont mind paying a higher premium but expect to be covered no excuses.