Italian Sweet Basil

Andyman

I know slightly off topic, but I really haven't notices a huge difference in flavor from thai sweet basil horapa and italian varieties. Is it really that different? I haven't had the italian kind in over 20 years so frankly I don't remember, but seems close to me. Now the other thai types like grapao and manglak are completely different.

Wow, incredible difference between Thai and Italian basil. Add to that, this is the Phuket forum, and what is available locally? Bottom line you can get it in Villa Market, or try some of the farms that have been quoted.

Edited by pagallim

I know slightly off topic, but I really haven't notices a huge difference in flavor from thai sweet basil horapa and italian varieties. Is it really that different? I haven't had the italian kind in over 20 years so frankly I don't remember, but seems close to me. Now the other thai types like grapao and manglak are completely different.

..............and I think hoorapa is far superior.............far more robust...........basil flavour is lost in cooking................and even too delicate when you add it at the end. I love the hoorapa with the lemon flavour............delicious. I wish they used it in more Thai dishes. Krapao is not special for me. Give me Kee mao any day.

Visited the farm yesterday gates closed so my wife called the lady, what a pleasure that was, i only wanted 300g but she drove out and delivered it, this is obviously a labour of love for her and if anyone else has some salad needs couldn't recommend her enough.