Where can i buy minced garlic?

buck99

I live in Pattaya and have searched the local Falang markets for minced (crushed) garlic in a jar but with no success. I have found packages of dried garlic but its just not the same. Can anyone give me a clue where to find it? Thanks!

Why on earth don't you make it yourself? Just get some fresh garlic, chop it into smaller chunks, then use the flat side of a large knife or cleaver to mash it against a chopping board.

Takes five minutes.

(or buy a garlic press, they're cheap as chips).

• Like 1

Yes, thank you i have a garlic press and use it on occasion. However a jar of minced garlic is so handy to use and kept in the refrigerator the garlic keeps nicely. Its quite common in the USA but maybe not in Thai.

Available in USA but not Thailand.

Thais are VERY picky about using FRESH ingredients and garlic in a jar IS, obviously, not fresh.

Everyone's idea that you use your garlic mincer is right - then put it in a jar in vegetable or olive oil. Then it is ready for use when you need it.

Hi Buck,

As mentioned above, minced garlic is not available in Thailand (as far as I am aware).

I have to get mine when I visit Hong Kong.

Best to mince your own by getting a garlic mincer as a garlic press would take too long and store the minced garlic it in a re-sealable jar.

Attached is a picture of the style of garlic mincer that I have (I think I got it from Big C or Tesco).

Canola oil or olive oil are good for preserving and keeping the garlic fresh but do not use vegetable oil, as this will solidify in the fridge.

The only problem is that Thai garlic is not as strong as the minced garlic that you get in jars, so you will need to add extra when you are cooking with it.

Best regards,

Tony Hawkins.

post-87166-0-07020300-1373244193_thumb.j

I have bought it before in Villa Market Pattaya and also minced Ginger on our bi-annual shopping trip from Korat. I was used to using both in the UK when I made curries, so convenient and easy, being lazy I suppose. Now I use fresh, I buy a bag of pealed garlic from Macro and it keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge and after that I just put in in the freezer as it freezes well. I have a 'pump action' veg and garlic chopper so it only takes seconds, the longest time is washing up the chopper.

Another option is to use a large, heavy pestle for smashing/grinding it into a paste (bash a clove, take off the wrapping, grind until smooth. Very therapeutic!). There's a pic here, on my blog...

http://www.yumsome.com/masala-dosa/

This is how I learned to do it when I lived in India (always used a garlic press or knife before) - you can also grind up chillis, ginger, and spices at the same time. Now I'm back in Thailand, I do the same here... in fact, one of the first things I bought when I got back was a large, heavy pestle (no need for a mortar - just use a cutting board, or marble counter top).

I also find I have to use a lot more Thai garlic than Indian or European (I'm Italian - I adore garlic), same with onions, because of the lack of strength!