'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

This is a storm in a teacup.

Hitler is a historical figure, after all these years it's no different to a image of Genghis Khan yet it stirs up so much emotion.

Ok, so the man was a power crazed lunatic, but hey..that's politics.

Would you say the same thing to a Cambodian whose whole family were raped and slaughtered by Pol Pot (there are many, many of them around for you to ask)?

I would like to see you go to Pnom Penh holding a sign that has a picture of Pol Pot and a picture of the killing fields that reads "hey,....thats politics"

What do you think the reaction would be?

You are correct, because that's more recent and more important to the country concerned.

However, I stand by my assertion that it's over hyped and irrelevant. It wold not be irrelevant if it was in Germany, but honestly in Ubon (where the photo was taken), nobody gives a hoot.. and rightly too.

As another poster said, if it was Chairman Mao nobody would care and he was as bad or worse than Hitler.

Also.. and this is debatable of course.. it's highly likely that what you learned in school, books or documentaries about Hitler is factually incorrect to some degree or another. I have no real knowledge on the matter, but many people far more intelligent than I believe that he really wasn't so bad.

You really do have no knowledge on this matter. You should try reading some actual works of history and you will find that those who believe he "really wasn't so bad" are actually not far more intelligent than you, or even a little.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An inflammatory post has been removed. Keep it civil or do not bother posting.

I would suggest that posts denying the holocaust or saying that Hitler wasn't such a bad guy are inflammatory. Yet they remain on here.

You do know how to use the report button? Report the inflammatory posts then.

The excuse for this level of ignorance/insensitivity is called "the Thai Education System"

This has nothing to do with the Thai educational system. As a teacher i will assure you that this is not taught or condoned at any school i have been at.

The problem is that the Thai people as a wole were/are isolated form the rest of the world and really have ot much of an idea what happened.

I assume the Thai public in general just does not understand. I've seen the growing trend in dolls, decals on cars and trucks, etc. Mind you there are a lot of other past leaders being used in the same manor.

By the way; I assume that most people here understand that the Swastika is a tantric symbol used in Buddhism (that may have something to do with the Thai adoption).

Edited by alphaflight

^^ It was me, and I'm getting the impression your just fixing for a fight. Carry on. coffee1.gif

Thai at Heart......sounds to me ' freedom of speech ' and ' having an opinion ' have been cancelled by theblether -- unless of course, it happens to be in line with his own thoughts.....

Well, the blether obviously speaks for Thais. I've just watched the evening news in Thai, and not a peep about Adolf's chicken restaurant.

No one knows let alone cares one jot, beyond these pages. That and the fact that the story is out of date and inaccurate. There are real neo Nazis still today all over the world. Somchais chicken in ubon isn't that scary really.

But a national disgrace? They have hundreds of thousands of their own daughters and sisters swinging around poles every night and that doesn't even seem to register. What odds a German psycho from 80 years ago?

A comical train of thought by both of you. laugh.png

Works it out for yourselves thumbsup.gif

^^ It was me, and I'm getting the impression your just fixing for a fight. Carry on. coffee1.gif

Thai at Heart......sounds to me ' freedom of speech ' and ' having an opinion ' have been cancelled by theblether -- unless of course, it happens to be in line with his own thoughts.....

Well, the blether obviously speaks for Thais. I've just watched the evening news in Thai, and not a peep about Adolf's chicken restaurant.

No one knows let alone cares one jot, beyond these pages. That and the fact that the story is out of date and inaccurate. There are real neo Nazis still today all over the world. Somchais chicken in ubon isn't that scary really.

But a national disgrace? They have hundreds of thousands of their own daughters and sisters swinging around poles every night and that doesn't even seem to register. What odds a German psycho from 80 years ago?

A comical train of thought by both of you. laugh.png

Works it out for yourselves thumbsup.gif

Well, I am still waiting for any Thais to pipe up that this is a national disgrace.

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai. A little like the Thai girl who reports assaults by her boyfriend to the BIB and then he sues her for doing so.

Although KFC (like MacDonald's, 7/11 and many others) is an American brand. Yum Thailand,

the sole franchisee of KFC in Thailand, is a Thai Corporation. See this link:

http://www.yum.co.th/en/our_brands_kfc.php

If Yum sue Hitler's restaurant it is a Thai Corporation suing a Thai.

KFC in the U.S. would not be involved in such a law suit.

Are you sure? Yum (Thai) don't own the brand or the logo, only have a licence to use it. Not having a dig at you just asking a question. Wouldn't placing Hitler into the international logo be a breach against the KFC brand and not simply a franchise.

What you're saying makes sense, but in this case Yum Thailand is the one bringing the suit.

Very unlikely that KFC U.S.A. would get involved.

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai. A little like the Thai girl who reports assaults by her boyfriend to the BIB and then he sues her for doing so.

Although KFC (like MacDonald's, 7/11 and many others) is an American brand. Yum Thailand,

the sole franchisee of KFC in Thailand, is a Thai Corporation. See this link:

http://www.yum.co.th/en/our_brands_kfc.php

If Yum sue Hitler's restaurant it is a Thai Corporation suing a Thai.

KFC in the U.S. would not be involved in such a law suit.

Are you sure? Yum (Thai) don't own the brand or the logo, only have a licence to use it. Not having a dig at you just asking a question. Wouldn't placing Hitler into the international logo be a breach against the KFC brand and not simply a franchise.

What you're saying makes sense, but in this case Yum Thailand is the one bringing the suit.

Very unlikely that KFC U.S.A. would get involved.

It would probably be standard that the local national franchise has to act to protect the brand and any breaches.

• Like 1

No - it's an international embarrassment of epic proportions - a mass murderer is being lionized here to the discredit of Thailand. There's places to eat - tee shirts and people emulating the "seig heil" gesture - oddly enough - the people embellishing this are not "white" and therefore would have ultimately found a place in Hitler's ovens.

I'm about as lilly "white" (German/Scotch ancestry) as you can possibly get and am highly insulted that this is allowed to exist let alone flourish in my adopted new country.

Thailand went through WW2 and should well be aware of what could have happened, abeit; at the hands of the Japanese or the German forces, if they had prevailed.

There are some areas of life where boundaries are better not crossed - this is one of them. Regardless how "trendy" it might seem. Isn't that where the real problems really take root? Trendy.....popular.....chic....fun......ignorant.....

Ernesto 'Che' Guevara was a true hero and true humanitarian and I idolise and idore the man!

He fought for beliefs not money.

Why are Thai's ignorant for not knowing about Adolf Hilter?

Their news corporation isn't completely Jewish owned.

I'm sure there is some substance in what you say.

Some substance? Really? To a tired old anti-semitic Jewish media control conspiracy theory? I don't think so, mate.

Somehow it's not too surprising that a topic about Hitler Fried Chicken would stir up some people who would agree with Hitler's opinions about Jews.

Anti-semitism: the "gift" that keeps on giving ... bah.gif

Read all the post "mate" rather than choosing a few words and distorting them for your own purpose. I see you like to be politically correct - anyone who comments about Jews or Jewish issues must be anti-semitic or a Nazi supporter unless they are sychophantic in their unreserved praise. Lots of my Jewish friends see that as patronizing, and they are certainly not pc.

You have no idea what my views are, and obviously haven't gleaned them from the posts.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Their news corporation isn't completely Jewish owned.

I'm sure there is some substance in what you say.

Some substance? Really? To a tired old anti-semitic Jewish media control conspiracy theory? I don't think so, mate.

Somehow it's not too surprising that a topic about Hitler Fried Chicken would stir up some people who would agree with Hitler's opinions about Jews.

Anti-semitism: the "gift" that keeps on giving ... bah.gif

Read all the post "mate" rather than choosing a few words and distorting them for your own purpose. You have no idea what my views are, and obviously haven't gleaned them from the posts.

I was referring to pui's post, as were you. I am sorry if the way I truncated the posts for brevity (which is allowed here) is not to your liking. If you really think there was an intentional distortion of meaning because of that, feel free to use the report function.

Edited by Jingthing

Their news corporation isn't completely Jewish owned. As a westerner a lot of what you know about the world was learned from TV and a company called Associated Press. They have a complete monopoly on ALL international news. AP are owned by Reuters a news group that has been in the Rothschild family for 200yrs. Rothschild are the biggest donors Israel. Hence imbalance on that story. The amount of holocaust stuff rammed down our necks on a weekly basis by western media just goes to show you whos in charge of UK/US media. Stalin and Mao killed many many times more in the same period but the general population hardly hear about it.

In the states the anti defamation league is a very powerful force of lawyers who I can guarantee will be reading this.

So please don't complain/criticize Thai's for not wanting to get involved in our "his-story" becuase its questionable at best.

My own knowledge of the events of WW2 do not come from the Associated Press but from a variety of works by historians on the subject. What about yours? From neo-Nazi tracts perhaps?

• Like 2

Very distasteful, do the Thai people not know who this monster was? Have seen Nazi flags here for sale, politefully pointed out very bad!

I think the common Thai on the street thinks Hitler was a very strong "f-rang" leader in war. In Asian cultures, strong leaders are admired. I don't think most are aware of the extent of his evil actions. As is well known, the Thai educational system doesn't emphasize WW2 very much possibly because Thailand's role in it was not very flattering. I also doubt there is much education here about the specific issue of racial and industrialized GENOCIDE which is of course is needed to fully appreciate the extent of the badness of this Hitler man.

A country where the people were adequately educated about WW2 would not be subject to the Nazi and Hitler fashion incidents that predictably keep happening in our beloved Thailand.

Knowledge about "Hitler" or better the "nazi system" should not just be reduced on the industrialized mass murder. There was so much more that went wrong, was wrong and should be kept in mind and not forgotten in order not to repeat it.

Yet many genocides have taken place since WW2.

History is a poor educator.

Case in point. If someone called it "Stalin fried chicken", "Leopold fried chicken", or even "Mao fried chicken", would anyone care?

There's a lot of venom directed at Thais for not understanding the significance of Hitler, but there's lots of genocidal dictators the average westerner wouldn't know too much about either.

Let's call it "Jean Kambanda fried chicken" and see how many Europeans would give a shit.

What about "Hideki Tojo fried chicken"? He's credited with wiping out 5 million, yet I don't believe that name would raise too many eyebrows in the west.

Edited by tropo

Nobody is going to do Stalin Fried Chicken in Thailand...

Wanna bet? I've had Stalin Fried Chicken with generous portion of Pol Pot Hot Hot Hot sauce on Sukhumvit Soi 53 and was best southern friend chicken I ever had.

Shows again the ignorance of some people and their desire to insult.

I know that shop. You should also try Dzerzhinsky's bar on Suk 56. they mix an excellent Molotov Cocktail, they also have hot Zinoviev shots, kosher Bloody Kamenevs and a marvellous Trotsky Ice Pick Tea.

Edited by antfish

Wanna bet? I've had Stalin Fried Chicken with generous portion of Pol Pot Hot Hot Hot sauce on Sukhumvit Soi 53 and was best southern friend chicken I ever had.

I know that shop. You should also try Dzerzhinsky's bar on Suk 56. they mix an excellent Molotov Cocktail, they also have hot Zinoviev shots, kosher Bloody Kamenevs and a marvellous Trotsky Ice Pick Tea.

You are asserting there is a store called STALIN FRIED CHICKEN in Bangkok? Interesting. I find that hard to believe but will gladly admit my "ignorance" on the matter if someone can supply some objective evidence, such as a photo of the shop, a media link, etc.

As far as "insults" I don't know where you are coming from. Living in Pattaya which has a majority of tourists from Russia it is clear to anyone many are quite nationalistic and their leader PUTIN has openly worked to rehabilitate the political reputation of the horrible mass murderer Stalin. I don't approve of that of course, but bottom line Hitler is Hitler and Stalin is Stalin.

Edited by Jingthing

these articles are actually free advertising for KFC why because the low class British correspondents in Thailand cannot even do the basic duty of reporting the address - nobody here on this forum has identified the locations which just goes to show what crap Bangkok's pothead journos churn out - the Brit media says it is Bangkok but here on Thai Visa people are speculating on places like Ubon and Chaing Mai - of no one reveals a REAL location then I would say all the readers of these British rags have been scammed good and proper or else everyday is April Fools Day

You are asserting there is a store called STALIN FRIED CHICKEN in Bangkok? Interesting. I find that hard to believe but will gladly admit my "ignorance" on the matter if someone can supply some objective evidence, such as a photo of the shop, a media link, etc.

As far as "insults" I don't know where you are coming from. Living in Pattaya which has a majority of tourists from Russia it is clear to anyone many are quite nationalistic and their leader PUTIN has openly worked to rehabilitate the political reputation of the horrible mass murderer Stalin. I don't approve of that of course, but bottom line Hitler is Hitler and Stalin is Stalin.

Well, if those Fried Chicken Shop owners think that using the names of past brutal dictators is beneficial for their business then they should slightly alter the names of them such as ....

Hitler / Hitlero, Stalin / Stalino, Pol Pot / Poli Poti, Franco / Franconi, Salazar / Salazaro, and

for Mussolini / Benito. (his first name)

"Benito Fried Chicken" > BFC < would be a good name, it would represent Italian's good food

reputation and quality, and KFC could not complain about it, nor sue it.

Edited by personchester

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

the thai's have no idea who hitler was they were allies of the Japanese during the war. most thai's don;t have enough education to know what is going on in the world. and that's being nice!

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

the thai's have no idea who hitler was they were allies of the Japanese during the war. most thai's don;t have enough education to know what is going on in the world. and that's being nice!

To be fair I think you'll find that most younger generations in the west don't have much of a clue either. Hitler and WW2 are ancient history to them.

Most of the expats on this forum would have family who lived through (or died in) WW2 (my parents were in German occupied territory and one of my aunts was shot). It is understandable that many are shocked to see this news.

In 50 years time "Hitler" will just be another word.

these articles are actually free advertising for KFC why because the low class British correspondents in Thailand cannot even do the basic duty of reporting the address - nobody here on this forum has identified the locations which just goes to show what crap Bangkok's pothead journos churn out - the Brit media says it is Bangkok but here on Thai Visa people are speculating on places like Ubon and Chaing Mai - of no one reveals a REAL location then I would say all the readers of these British rags have been scammed good and proper or else everyday is April Fools Day

No need for speculating, it is in Ubon, said many times

https://www.facebook.com/hLerFoodAndDrink

The Hitler chicken shop may not have ever existed.

KFC has called off its lawyers after learning that a chicken shop in Thailand that created a Colonel Hitler logo had either shut down or had never existed in the first place.

Yum!, the parent company of KFC, told the Huffington Post that it was considering legal action after a photo of "Hitler" chicken surfaced on Twitter.

The company had used the KFC logo but replaced Colonel Sanders' face with Hitler's.

A spokesman for Yum! said: "We find it extremely distasteful and are considering legal action since it is an infringement of our brand trademark and has nothing to do with us."

The photo was found online by Andrew Spooner, the author of Footprint Thailand Handbook who said he did not take the photograph himself.

FOLLOW IBTIMES

Despite that, media outlets picked up on the picture and the story went viral.

The Daily Mail quoted a man called Alan Robertson as saying: "The place opened last month and nobody quite knows what to make of it.

Photo from 2011

"I went in for a bite last week and got some fried chicken and asked the guy behind the counter why it was called Hitler.

"He just shrugged his shoulders and said the owners had thought it was good image."

Spooner wrote on Twitter: "[The] best thing about that Daily Mail piece is that the restaurant is not in Bangkok and the Mail made up quote. My tweeted photo of Hitler Fried Chicken has gone global and viral. 1000s of tweets, it's in about 20 newspapers and all use false Mail quote.

"I emailed the Daily Mail and told them there was little chance 'Alan Robertson' existed. They didn't reply. Even more amusingly KFC's legal people emailed me and asked me where 'Hitler' chicken is."

The Bangkok Post added that the restaurant in question was in Ubon Ratchathani, not Bangkok and was called H-ler, not Hitler.

The Hitler chicken shop may not have ever existed. KFC has called off its lawyers after learning that a chicken shop in Thailand that created a Colonel Hitler logo had either shut down or had never existed in the first place. Yum!, the parent company of KFC, told the Huffington Post that it was considering legal action after a photo of "Hitler" chicken surfaced on Twitter. The company had used the KFC logo but replaced Colonel Sanders' face with Hitler's. A spokesman for Yum! said: "We find it extremely distasteful and are considering legal action since it is an infringement of our brand trademark and has nothing to do with us." The photo was found online by Andrew Spooner, the author of Footprint Thailand Handbook who said he did not take the photograph himself. FOLLOW IBTIMES Despite that, media outlets picked up on the picture and the story went viral. The Daily Mail quoted a man called Alan Robertson as saying: "The place opened last month and nobody quite knows what to make of it. Photo from 2011 "I went in for a bite last week and got some fried chicken and asked the guy behind the counter why it was called Hitler. "He just shrugged his shoulders and said the owners had thought it was good image." Spooner wrote on Twitter: "[The] best thing about that Daily Mail piece is that the restaurant is not in Bangkok and the Mail made up quote. My tweeted photo of Hitler Fried Chicken has gone global and viral. 1000s of tweets, it's in about 20 newspapers and all use false Mail quote. "I emailed the Daily Mail and told them there was little chance 'Alan Robertson' existed. They didn't reply. Even more amusingly KFC's legal people emailed me and asked me where 'Hitler' chicken is." The Bangkok Post added that the restaurant in question was in Ubon Ratchathani, not Bangkok and was called H-ler, not Hitler.

It was originally named "Hitler" and then renamed:

Update: According to the Bangkok Post, the Hitler chicken restaurant mentioned in this story has changed its name: “The ‘Hitler’ restaurant has long since undergone an image makeover as the owner wanted to avoid criticism of any Nazi association.” The Post continues: “The restaurant is in Ubon Ratchathani, not Bangkok … Today it is known as ‘H-ler’ and bears a different sign, a local correspondent in the northeastern province said.” This story has been updated to reflect the new information.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/08/kfc-is-not-amused-by-hitler-fried-chicken/

Furthermore i see here no one complain about too many Jews around KSR or Swedish in Khao Lak or suggesting that the Germans must love to visit that Hitler chicken shop but only your post starting here to rant about Russians tourists.

The Germans have not rehabilitated Hitler TO THEIR CREDIT. The Russians have rehabilitated Stalin, to their shame. I calls em as I sees em. It is public record what Putin did regarding Stalin and it is public record how popular Putin is in Russia. So why WOULDN'T many Russians enjoy a fried chicken place named after Stalin?

I was not "complaining" about Russians in Pattaya, merely talking about a fact of life here. Obviously if you wanted to make the biggest splash in Thailand with a potential Stalin Fried Chicken shop, Pattaya would be ground zero. I still don't think anyone would actually do that though, because though it may be appreciated by some it would still be offensive to most foreigners here (not that most Thais would even get the issue).

I'd be the first to admit some of these taboos about naming aren't entirely rational. Mao has become internationally rather a CUTE symbol and you could open a Mao restaurant in many countries without much flak. One factor is Mao is officially admired in China but of course its complicated. Myself I own antique Mao mechanical clock that doesn't work.

Edited by Jingthing