'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are Thai's ignorant for not knowing about Adolf Hilter?

Their news corporation isn't completely Jewish owned. As a westerner a lot of what you know about the world was learned from TV and a company called Associated Press. They have a complete monopoly on ALL international news. AP are owned by Reuters a news group that has been in the Rothschild family for 200yrs. Rothschild are the biggest donors Israel. Hence imbalance on that story. The amount of holocaust stuff rammed down our necks on a weekly basis by western media just goes to show you whos in charge of UK/US media. Stalin and Mao killed many many times more in the same period but the general population hardly hear about it.

In the states the anti defamation league is a very powerful force of lawyers who I can guarantee will be reading this.

So please don't complain/criticize Thai's for not wanting to get involved in our "his-story" becuase its questionable at best.

My own knowledge of the events of WW2 do not come from the Associated Press but from a variety of works by historians on the subject. What about yours? From neo-Nazi tracts perhaps?
No perhaps. Probably has a little Max Mosley gig going with the girls.

And I find it funny. This is more like degrading Hitler not elevating him. KFC is funny too. Ok, lets sue them, the problem is this is not America!

I agree there is some humor in it. Branding a junk food place isn't glorification. The Chiang Mai school Nazi parade, that was more like glorification and was quite a bit more serious coming from a so called educational institution.

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

the thai's have no idea who hitler was they were allies of the Japanese during the war. most thai's don;t have enough education to know what is going on in the world. and that's being nice!

To be fair I think you'll find that most younger generations in the west don't have much of a clue either. Hitler and WW2 are ancient history to them.

Most of the expats on this forum would have family who lived through (or died in) WW2 (my parents were in German occupied territory and one of my aunts was shot). It is understandable that many are shocked to see this news.

In 50 years time "Hitler" will just be another word.

Maybe, but I think you can agree that if anything similar looks like rearing its ugly head, , people will be aware of the history. At the end of the day, he was a dangerous, evil, little man, and has barely been outdone before or since in his actions. It will never really be completely forgotten.

And I find it funny. This is more like degrading Hitler not elevating him. KFC is funny too. Ok, lets sue them, the problem is this is not America!

How old are you. ?

I'm old enough, and I know Hitler's story quite well. Have even read Mein Kampf, underlying things I found interesting. Visited Auschwitz as well. When I see him dressed as a chef and selling chickens I find it funny.

How old are you. ?

I'm old enough, and I know Hitler's story quite well. Have even read Mein Kampf, underlying things I found interesting. Visited Auschwitz as well. When I see him dressed as a chef and selling chickens I find it funny.

Some of us oldies still alive still who's actual lives were affected by stuff do NOT look at Auschwitz as a museum but as a place of non humour for a pizza or burger outlet. Yes, another 20 years will see us all off and folk can have fun with the names, until that time expect comments from me eh.

• Like 1

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai. A little like the Thai girl who reports assaults by her boyfriend to the BIB and then he sues her for doing so.

Although KFC (like MacDonald's, 7/11 and many others) is an American brand. Yum Thailand,

the sole franchisee of KFC in Thailand, is a Thai Corporation. See this link:

http://www.yum.co.th/en/our_brands_kfc.php

If Yum sue Hitler's restaurant it is a Thai Corporation suing a Thai.

KFC in the U.S. would not be involved in such a law suit.

Are you sure? Yum (Thai) don't own the brand or the logo, only have a licence to use it. Not having a dig at you just asking a question. Wouldn't placing Hitler into the international logo be a breach against the KFC brand and not simply a franchise.

What you're saying makes sense, but in this case Yum Thailand is the one bringing the suit.

Very unlikely that KFC U.S.A. would get involved.

Rather depends on the feelings of the Jewish lobby in the USA. I hear they are rather influential sometimes....

I think Thais see Hitler in the same way some naive Westerners view Mao - as little more than a historical Icon worth plastering over the walls of their university dorm.

A parody on the Luftwaffe logo would have been a better fit for a chicken restaurant.

exactly, i've seen westerners having mao lapel pins. no one gave a rat's @ss. same with asians to hitler.

I think Thais see Hitler in the same way some naive Westerners view Mao - as little more than a historical Icon worth plastering over the walls of their university dorm.

A parody on the Luftwaffe logo would have been a better fit for a chicken restaurant.

exactly, i've seen westerners having mao lapel pins. no one gave a rat's @ss. same with asians to hitler.

That is a gross simplification. Mao and Hitler are entirely different historical figures. Mao is pretty much revered in China today. Not saying he should be, but he is. That's a HUGE DIFFERENCE to how Hitler is viewed in Germany.

Any strong taboo about Mao, whatever existed, is largely neutralized globally. Mao icons are indeed used a symbol of cool and cute internationally.

Hitler images and Nazi stuff like Nazi swastikas are taboo in much of the world, and it's anyone's call when/how that will change but I seriously doubt they will ever be the same kind of thing as Mao icons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4587570.stm

Edited by Jingthing

This is a storm in a teacup.

Hitler is a historical figure, after all these years it's no different to a image of Genghis Khan yet it stirs up so much emotion.

Ok, so the man was a power crazed lunatic, but hey..that's politics.

Would you say the same thing to a Cambodian whose whole family were raped and slaughtered by Pol Pot (there are many, many of them around for you to ask)?

I would like to see you go to Pnom Penh holding a sign that has a picture of Pol Pot and a picture of the killing fields that reads "hey,....thats politics"

What do you think the reaction would be?

Bringing Pol Pot up in Pnom Penh isn't akin to bringing Hitler up in Bangkok. Everyone in Cambodia knows who Pol Pot is, as he's Cambodian. If you hold up that same sign and pic of him in some city in Germany, I think there might not be much of a reaction.

Bringing Pol Pot up in Pnom Penh isn't akin to bringing Hitler up in Bangkok. Everyone in Cambodia knows who Pol Pot is, as he's Cambodian. If you hold up that same sign and pic of him in some city in Germany, I think there might not be much of a reaction.

That makes sense. Pol Pot's horrible impact was rather localized. Hitler's horrible impact was much wider, involving a WORLD WAR and all that ...

Quite obviously, Pol Pot's image isn't even world famous.

I just looked up his image. I didn't really recognize him. Could just be another taxi driver in Bangkok really.

Compare to the iconic global images of Hitler, Stalin, Mao ... no comparison.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

How old are you. ?

The problem as I see it is that Hitlers image epitomises evil and suffering to many, so humour usually takes a sharp exit. I can see how some might find this image funny, but thought they would be people that knew little of the horrors that happened.

War is war and is ugly, but after recently reading about the experiments that went on (injecting ink into children's eyes while they were conscious is one that springs to mind) that I fail to see the funny side. Then again it maybe because I have a small child and a vivid imagination.

I suppose it all comes down to the undefinable quality of decency.

The problem as I see it is that Hitlers image epitomises evil and suffering to many, so humour usually takes a sharp exit. I can see how some might find this image funny, but thought they would be people that knew little of the horrors that happened.

War is war and is ugly, but after recently reading about the experiments that went on (injecting ink into children's eyes while they were conscious is one that springs to mind) that I fail to see the funny side. Then again it maybe because I have a small child and a vivid imagination.

To be fair and balanced, Hitler was not the one conducting those experiments and likely knew nothing of them, even though it happened under his watch. There were plenty of other sick individuals who let loose during those years. Do they get a free ride because Hitler was the leader at the time?

How old are you. ?
Unfortunately (this being Thailand) just as likely to be a senile hipster.

To be fair and balanced, Hitler was not the one conducting those experiments and likely knew nothing of them, even though it happened under his watch. There were plenty of other sick individuals who let loose during those years. Do they get a free ride because Hitler was the leader at the time?

Yep. Completely agree with your point. I even think that Hitler and Germany were pushed pre war to such an extend economically that War was probably there best option. It still doesn't detract from the baggage his image evokes. Imagery can create such powerful emotions that may or may not be wholly justified.

If you are a Brit, Myra Hindley's image evokes more fear and hatred than Fred West, but Fred was the more prolific murderer. It's not completely logical, but it is the way it is.

How old are you. ?

Some of us oldies still alive still who's actual lives were affected by stuff do NOT look at Auschwitz as a museum but as a place of non humour for a pizza or burger outlet. Yes, another 20 years will see us all off and folk can have fun with the names, until that time expect comments from me eh.

I did not know you were that old trans am, 2013 - 1940 = 73 minimum age to still know a bit about it being 5 at the end of the war.

Anyway I don't think its good taste to use hitler and I too went to a destruction camp in Eastern Germany as a school project. But on the other hand its not really honoring his ideals. I actually think its stupid as he did not think highly of people who were not like me blue eyed blondes (thais would be the bottom of the barrel for him)

Yep. Completely agree with your point. I even think that Hitler and Germany were pushed pre war to such an extend economically that War was probably there best option. It still doesn't detract from the baggage his image evokes. Imagery can create such powerful emotions that may or may not be wholly justified.

If you are a Brit, Myra Hindley's image evokes more fear and hatred than Fred West, but Fred was the more prolific murderer. It's not completely logical, but it is the way it is.

Sure Germany was partly pushed into the war and the other side did plenty of bad things too. Wonder who ordered the fire bombing of Dresden that is questionable act. Just like the second atomic bomb. To act like the allies were angels and the other guys were all bad is also not completely true.

War is a nasty business and nobody has clean hand then.

• Like 1

This is a storm in a teacup.

Hitler is a historical figure, after all these years it's no different to a image of Genghis Khan yet it stirs up so much emotion.

Ok, so the man was a power crazed lunatic, but hey..that's politics.

Would you say the same thing to a Cambodian whose whole family were raped and slaughtered by Pol Pot (there are many, many of them around for you to ask)?

I would like to see you go to Pnom Penh holding a sign that has a picture of Pol Pot and a picture of the killing fields that reads "hey,....thats politics"

What do you think the reaction would be?

I will concede that, however I think the point is still valid. Say for instance someone did it in the US.

In other countries, once people understand what is going on, they will not stand for it and will do their best not to offend anyone. The Thai response (and that of the apologists) is not a..."we didn't know, we are sorry and we'll make sure it NEVER happens again," its more like "to us its not offensive, its cute, therefore it doesn't matter if others are offended"

This is the attitude that I think upsets people, not the act in itself.

Also, I hear the apologists assuming that no Thai person knows who Hitler was or what he did, therefore we should forgive them. To me, this is demeaning and offensive to Thai people. Why do you assume they are ignorant? Apparently because you think you are smarter/more knowledgeable than them. In trying to defend them you are actually insulting them.

In addition, if an uneducated white person did the same thing, even though his intent might be the same as some Thais, people will not forgive this person the same as a Thai, based solely on the persons background/race etc.

Can you not see the folly and hypocrisy in these attitudes?

@ robblok.

I had to watch my dad have regular fits when l was a kid, he had brain damage via enemy action which affected his and my life, so l always respond to this sort of topic..

Fair enough my mistake of not taking something like that into account.

Sure Germany was partly pushed into the war and the other side did plenty of bad things too. Wonder who ordered the fire bombing of Dresden that is questionable act. Just like the second atomic bomb. To act like the allies were angels and the other guys were all bad is also not completely true.

War is a nasty business and nobody has clean hand then.

Bombing was ordered by the RAF chief of the Bomber Command. Area bombing (terror bombing) was a policy authorised by Churchill.

Damage is already done - not to KFC, Yum or whatever, to Thailand. The article has made it to my local paper back home and all people are really going to think is what a ....................................fill in blank................................... that country is.

For a country that values image, that lives for face, it's sad. Even sadder is they really don't get what other people think of this and have no clue how little things like this produce major face loss.

Edited by LomSak27

Damage is already done - not to KFC, Yum or whatever, to Thailand. The article has made it to my local paper back home and all people are really going to think is what a ....................................fill in blank................................... that country is.

For a country that values image, that lives for face, it's sad. Even sadder is they really don't get what other people think of this and have no clue how little things like this produce major face loss.

Perhaps folk here don't give a toss what others think cos there is no others.

I don't think westerners would generally take this kind of thing very seriously. It's more of a that's so funny, these people must have skipped history class kind of thing. It's not the same as actual Neo-Nazi fascist movements growing in various countries such as in Russia. Bottom line: it's just a gimmick to peddle more fried chicken. Last time I checked, there isn't any noticeable real Neo-Nazi movement in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes and no

The problem is we live in a more global world (sorry for the cliche line) so people in my little burg read these things more often the keep reading really dumb things about someplace, they ask questions.

I know because the first I heard of this story was because friends on facebook asked me about it. Locally Thailand has gotten some bad press in the last couple years, these things are starting to add up ................. while in the past in one ear out the other ........... and where is thighland again?

Its a different world