Thai Banking Ombudsman

If one is having stupid problems with a bank, the SCB in this case is there anything like a banking ombudsman or other method of making a complaint and if so has anyone ever used it and with what success. Even my Thai lawyer says they are treating my problem with complete stupidity but if her involvement doesn't get me anywhere I'd like to know the next possible step is.

No banking ombudsman per se, but the Office of Ombudsman will accept a complaint regarding a Thai Bank. I submitted a complaint by fax concerning a "stupid" problem with SCB. SCB eventually resolved the problem but I don't know if my complaint had any effect on them

For information on how to make a complaint, see this url

http://www.ombudsman.go.th/10/eng/howtocomplaint.asp

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have a problem with refunds taking up to 45 days or more to appear in their accounts? I have had problems with Bangkok Bank withholding refunds for that kind of period and more if you don't complain. A refund to a Debit or Credit card in Europe is issued and received the same day and in most all cases immediately. This has been the case for some 30 years now, yet banks in Thailand hold onto the refund to gain interest at their customers expense. It is fraudulent and needs to be stopped! I had a refund of near 8,000 Baht to come to me from Hotels.com. The refund was issued but it was not until I complained to the bank that the money appeared in my account some 3 weeks after the refund. I still have 2 refunds from Lazada to see in my account which were refunded on 17th June 2019 now it is the 8th July. I have to wait sometimes over 50 minutes in a que to get in touch with Bangkok Bank to complain. A lot of money wasted in calling them. Who can keep an eye on their account to ensure that the refund has been paid if it takes that long. Maybe that is what they are hoping for, and don't pay you if you don't complain!

Ever since I've been in Thailand and got involved with a credit/debit card refund the Thai merchant would always say it could take up to 45 days due to the bank policy.   But since I was using my US credit cards the refund completed in less than a week...usually just a few business days.

However, for Thai debit/credit cards the story can be different....seems a 30-45 refund period is common for the Thai banking system.  Like if googling about Thai bank debit/credit card refunds you generally come across sites giving a heads up regarding the possible refund time of 30 to 45 days.   It's not fraudulent...just the way Thai banks work.....not like with western banks/cards which are governed by different laws, regulations and customer protection rules.

https://www.hotelthailand.com/customer_center/cancellation.html

4. Refund Policy :

Upon your request of cancellation, HotelThailand.com will contact your bank immediately to handle the crediting process. The refund will be made through the credit card you use to purchase, however it could take around 30-45 business days for the actual crediting to take place depending on the bank�s practice.

Original Payment Refund Process
By Credit Card 30-45 Business Days

*If your refund is likely to process longer than 45 business day time, we will notify you via email upon receipt of your request.