Native Vegetables

HeijoshinCool

Depends on how native is native. Some go back a few hundred years, some thousands. Trade has always been such a strong part of geographical change it is hard to clearly state what is native.

herbs (leaves and stems) yes, lots.

spices some,

vegetables not many, certain gourds (which are technically fruits), kale (at least 300 hundred years, some other green vines and leafies.

Tomatoes, chilis, about 200 years ago.

green pepper corns were the original and only thing in Thai cooking to give heat for centuries.

Thanks.

My neighbor said that until the 60's, she had never seen a tomato. But then, considering where I'm living, that doesn't surprise me.

Makes one wonder what deficiencies their diets had back 100 years ago. Must have been pretty boring, too.

No need to worry about deficiencies in the past. It's simply that newer vegetables were tastier and/or were more productive.

Talking to an old friend of mine she talked about her childhood food in Isaan. She was brought up on a diet of nam phrik with rice. Fish and meat were a very occasional luxury.

In the north traditional meals were often boiled roots, stems and leaves with perhaps a little meat.

Yes, boring, but almost certainly far healthier than a diet of burgers, fries and Hitler Fried Chicken.

In my analysis there have been four major imports of foreign vegetables (roughly in historical order):

(1) Indian ingredients: peppercorns, okra, spinach, ginger, galangal, cucumber (I'm surprised by cucumber - I'd assumed it was south american, but Wikipedia says it's not.)

(2) Chinese vegetables: Chinese celery, Chinese Kale, Chinese radish, soy bean

(3) South American vegetables (introduced during the Ayutthaya period by the Portuguese): chilli, tomato, aubergine with European vegetables such as carrot and potato.

(4) Modern commercial crops: asparagus, baby corn, lettuce

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is quite a wonderful thread, thank you all, for those that are very knowledgable, do you recommend any websites out there with a large resource of this kind of information? Not sure if it's against the forum rules! ( ! sorry if it is ! ) but I am highly motivated to learn more.

Wrong spelling should be ma kheuua:

มะเขือ camera.gif speaker_sm.gif

ma kheuua

noun

eggplant; [general term for the family of] eggplants

มะเขือขาวphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif

ma kheuua khaao

noun

a large eggplant, Solanum melongena

มะเขือขื่นphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif

ma kheuua kheuun

noun

yellow eggplant, Solanum xanthocarpum

มะเขือตอแหลphr_link.gif

ma kheuua dtaaw laae

noun, phrase, colloquial

an eggplant that bears fruit unusually fast

มะเขือม่วงphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif

ma kheuua muaang

noun

eggplant

มะเขือยาวphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif

ma kheuua yaao

noun

eggplant

มะอึก speaker_sm.gif

ma euk

noun

hairy eggplant, Solanum ferox

สีมะเขือ

see ma kheuua

noun

the color of aubergine, the color of an eggplant and the official color of thai-language.com

หยิบมะเขือยาวขึ้นมาสามลูก ราคาสี่สิบบาทphr_link.gif

yip ma kheuua yaao kheun maa saam luuk raa khaaMsee sip baat

example sentence

" picked out three eggplants; the price was 40 baht."

Tomatoes are also classified as ma kheuua - ma kheuua thaeht

Edited by wayned