Dengue Outbreak

Sheryl

Paracetemol and staying hydrated are the mainstays. In some people the pain is too severe for paracetemol alone and so codeine or tramadol need to be added.

And some people require IV hydration i.e. if they are unable to keep fluids down or take in enough to stay hydrated. Especially those with really high fever for many days.

The platlet count should be monitored.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paracetemol and staying hydrated are the mainstays. In some people the pain is too severe for paracetemol alone and so codeine or tramadol need to be added.

And some people require IV hydration i.e. if they are unable to keep fluids down or take in enough to stay hydrated. Especially those with really high fever for many days.

Thanks for that!

Thanks for that!

Further to my post on your other thread, here was my dengue chronology;

Felt like crap after lunch on Friday.

Felt near death on Friday night, Saturday morning. Itchy rash, brief intense fevers AND THE PAIN IN THE BONES!

Improved over Saturday and Sunday but far from well and the joints still ached (thought it may be flu!). NO appetite.

Saw doctor on Monday, tentative diagnosis from symptoms was dengue and blood was given.

Feeling better on Tuesday, some headaches, went to work even. Eating khao tom.

See doctor again Wednesday, confirmed dengue, more blood taken to assess platelets.

Improved again on Thursday with the odd headache. Appetite returning.

Friday visit with the doctor confirmed my body was coping, just stay hydrated and take paracetamols when needed.

The doctor did suggest that gauging one's recovery is difficult if you are not pursuing some activity such as golf, tennis or regularly working out. She suggested that if I was a golfer who happily whacked out all 18 holes before lunch, I may find myself absolutely exhausted and feeling ill after only 9 holes. Or if an hour of tennis was a dawdle before dengue, I may be lucky to last 10 minutes afterwards. The more demanding the exercise, the quicker the bodies weakened resources deplete. She reckoned you knew you were back to 100% when the old exercise or sport levels were easily reached. That's why the elderly, less active or total couch potato's would have the hardest time bouncing back and be stunned when they get totally knackered just running for a bus (or having a shag?) six months after the initial diagnosis.

This scares the hell out of me. A bit silly in looking back but I've never used any repellent in all my trips to Thailand. 1st time I used some anti mossie patches which have vit b. Last year I used nothing but I'm going to koh lipe this year and I know the aedes mossie is present there so will take some repellent.

I've never seen a mossie in Bangkok though. Are there some areas more prone to mossies than others?

This scares the hell out of me. A bit silly in looking back but I've never used any repellent in all my trips to Thailand. 1st time I used some anti mossie patches which have vit b. Last year I used nothing but I'm going to koh lipe this year and I know the aedes mossie is present there so will take some repellent.

I've never seen a mossie in Bangkok though. Are there some areas more prone to mossies than others?

It scares my mate so much he has had enough and plans to leave with his Thai wife and 2 children sometime within the next year!

You many need new spectacles!

As wilcopops said, the mosquito vector has an extremely small flight span. Most infections are acquired a very, very short distance from the breeding place. Water jars are a prime source.

As I understand, the mossie involved also does not like laying eggs in dirty water or water that has other mossies in it, it likes it clean and fresh.

Which is the paddy fields aren't the issue but chronic rain is.

I think then key point with water is that it needs to be static or "stagnant"........our criteria for "clean" could be misleading.

Further to my post on your other thread, here was my dengue chronology;

Felt like crap after lunch on Friday.

Felt near death on Friday night, Saturday morning. Itchy rash, brief intense fevers AND THE PAIN IN THE BONES!

Improved over Saturday and Sunday but far from well and the joints still ached (thought it may be flu!). NO appetite.

Saw doctor on Monday, tentative diagnosis from symptoms was dengue and blood was given.

Feeling better on Tuesday, some headaches, went to work even. Eating khao tom.

See doctor again Wednesday, confirmed dengue, more blood taken to assess platelets.

Improved again on Thursday with the odd headache. Appetite returning.

Friday visit with the doctor confirmed my body was coping, just stay hydrated and take paracetamols when needed.

The doctor did suggest that gauging one's recovery is difficult if you are not pursuing some activity such as golf, tennis or regularly working out. She suggested that if I was a golfer who happily whacked out all 18 holes before lunch, I may find myself absolutely exhausted and feeling ill after only 9 holes. Or if an hour of tennis was a dawdle before dengue, I may be lucky to last 10 minutes afterwards. The more demanding the exercise, the quicker the bodies weakened resources deplete. She reckoned you knew you were back to 100% when the old exercise or sport levels were easily reached. That's why the elderly, less active or total couch potato's would have the hardest time bouncing back and be stunned when they get totally knackered just running for a bus (or having a shag?) six months after the initial diagnosis.

Glad to hear you rae on the mend. Believe it or not, from your description you had a comparatively mild case.

Be warned though that in addition ot prolonged fatigue on the recovery/post-recovery phase, depression and mood changes are also common. So if they occur just understand that it's due to the dengue and it will pass.

Ive been in Thailand for 1 month... picked up dengue yesterday. Im pretty sure im dying... 103 fever, head is killing me, body is killing me, cant get comfortable in bed too much pain, cant sleep, cant walk, cant eat or drink. By far the worst disease ive ever contracted. Looks like im stuck like this for a few months huh? Oh im also shaking and shivering uncontrollably. Extremely cold all the time. This is hell.

Sent from my GT-I9500

What you know is that you feel ill -----you may or may not have Dengue.

For the time being concentrate on remaining well hydrated and take paracetamol to help with the pain and to reduce your temperature.

If you really cannot drink and retain fluids then you must seek medical help now.

Yea just back from the hospital. .. checked in with 39.9 fever, ran the blood tests, confirmed. Im drinking, but they told me I have a throat infection. .. Extremely painful and half comes out my nose. Feels like a golf ball is in my throat. This virus is no joke, for real. Ive never been sick like this.

Sent from my GT-I9500

The hospital doctor will have given you advice and appropriate medication.

if you have Dengue the course of the disease is unpleasant (sorry) .

Make sure you return for a hospital check up/blood test( platelet count and heamocrit) as soon as the fever abates the reason being that it is at this time that complications of Dengue are likely to arise ( not common but possible)

Best wishes

Edited by jrtmedic

You will not be ill like you are now for months, this acute phase will be over in a week or so. What will last longer is just the fatigue and depression that occurs in the convalescent phase. That can indeed last for quite a while. But the fever and chills and pain will probably abate within a week.

Make sure to stay hydrated and also to have your platlet count monitored.

The sore throat is not usually a feature of dengue, if you mean sore inside the throat (as opposed to neck pain) then may also have a respiratory infection going on.

Fever just broke today... lasted 55 hours and maintained a pretty constant 39.5-39.9 for the duration. The fever went as quickly as it came... just randomly stopped. My joints feel ok today but my back still hurts (btw im 28 years old and exercise regularly). Hoping back pain goes away tomorrow. Still have a headache although not nearly as bad. Still blacking out when I stand although not nearly as bad. New development. .. legs are extremely itchy. Looks like I have small ant bites or mosquito bites... about 5 on each leg... hoping this stops very soon. I cant force myself not to itch no matter how hard I try.

Sent from my GT-I9500

As wilcopops said, the mosquito vector has an extremely small flight span. Most infections are acquired a very, very short distance from the breeding place. Water jars are a prime source.

As I understand, the mossie involved also does not like laying eggs in dirty water or water that has other mossies in it, it likes it clean and fresh.

Which is the paddy fields aren't the issue but chronic rain is.

This might help:

Prevent Aedes Mosquito Breeding:

To prevent the spread of dengue fever, you must first prevent the breeding of its vector, the Aedes mosquito. The Aedes mosquito is easily identifiable by its distinctive black and white stripes on their body. It prefers to breed in clean, stagnant water easily found around our homes. You can get rid of the Aedes mosquito by frequently checking and removing stagnant water in your premises.

The Aedes mosquito breeds in artificial containers mainly found in homes, and its life-cycle averages seven days. Hence it is imperative for all to do the Mozzie Wipeout to break the breeding cycle.

http://www.dengue.gov.sg/subject.asp?id=101

If you are infected with Dengue it is virtually certain that the breeding site of the mosquito that infected you was within 80m of where you were bitten.

Ahhh im in chiang mai about a km north of the canal. But I eat almost every meal outdoors so it could be from almost anywhere. I honestly havent been too careful of mosquitoes. I get bit up everyday. .. just part of eating outdoors here. I grew up in Florida so ive gotten as used to it as I guess you can be. I do advise people to take greater precautions though... im sure bug spray might have saved me...

Sent from my GT-I9500

As for an update on my condition. .. legs still itchy but not getting worse. Out and about today, headache came back and I have no energy... moving very slow. I feel like I will be fully recovered by tomorrow but I know this can last a while. Ill keep posting updates unless you guys arnt finding them useful...

Sent from my GT-I9500

As for an update on my condition. .. legs still itchy but not getting worse. Out and about today, headache came back and I have no energy... moving very slow. I feel like I will be fully recovered by tomorrow but I know this can last a while. Ill keep posting updates unless you guys arnt finding them useful...

Sent from my GT-I9500

Go to the hospital and get CBC test. The itchyness and spots on the legs can be from Hemorrhagic fever.

All your symptoms also fit with herpes (type4) and the initial stages of HIV.

KennyN,

The rash and itchiness you describe sound like the typical post-dengue rash. Calamine lotion or aloe vera may help.

Once the rash breaks it usually means the acute phase is over, though you will likely be very tired and possibly depressed for some time.

Well, it looks I have contracted Dengue this week. Three days fever, some joints hurt like hell, completely without energy, headache, eye balls hurt, dizzy, you name it. Three times bloodwork shows the PCT going down from 25 to 20 and today 18. WBC going down as well. The doc thinks it could well be Dengue but

their equipment can only detect it from day four or so. And, it's rampant in our area...

Meanwhile I'm pretty sick but hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and hanging in there...

Well today is day 7 for me. Overall, I feel like I am recovered... I still get dizzy WAY more often than normal when I stand (maybe 1 out of every 10 times I stand now), and I have slightly less energy than normal.... But all other effects are gone. Still cant believe I was completely bedridden just a few days ago. Crazy virus.

Well, it looks I have contracted Dengue this week. Three days fever, some joints hurt like hell, completely without energy, headache, eye balls hurt, dizzy, you name it. Three times bloodwork shows the PCT going down from 25 to 20 and today 18. WBC going down as well. The doc thinks it could well be Dengue but

their equipment can only detect it from day four or so. And, it's rampant in our area...

Meanwhile I'm pretty sick but hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and hanging in there...

Woke up with a rash over my upper body, no fever but almost all other complaints are still there. Bloodwork done at the local hospital and two hours later Doc says 'I don't think its Dengue, it's some other type of virus.

Bloodwork tomorrow if still feeling not ok. But, MIL dropped by and investigated me and she said something along the lines of 'he is sick with the bubbles'. And to her opinion the rash is not a Dengue rash.

I guess they have more knowledge than me... She came minutes later with tree bark that my wife is cooking now. Tonight I have to wash myself with it. And, my daughter fell ill this afternoon with fever, headache and pain in her eyes. Wife isn't feeling well either.

So maybe it's not Dengue after all...

Regards,

nongsung

Today I was diagnosed with DF. It's really strange because I first came down with the flu like symptoms on Wednesday, by Sunday the fever had gone and on Monday I was able to go out again,.

Then on Monday night it all blew up again, high fever this time with large blotches all over my body and aching eyeballs, so my wife took me to hospital. They conducted blood tests which showed the presence of DF, but in a mild form, thus I was not admitted for now, just given meds and sent on my way,

What really surprised me was the fact that it seemed to go away and then come back...really weird.

Today I was diagnosed with DF. It's really strange because I first came down with the flu like symptoms on Wednesday, by Sunday the fever had gone and on Monday I was able to go out again,.

Then on Monday night it all blew up again, high fever this time with large blotches all over my body and aching eyeballs, so my wife took me to hospital. They conducted blood tests which showed the presence of DF, but in a mild form, thus I was not admitted for now, just given meds and sent on my way,

What really surprised me was the fact that it seemed to go away and then come back...really weird.

When you say "diagnosed" - what do they mean "mild form"?....only a small presence of antibodies? this was a blood test done at the right time?

Edited by wilcopops

I have great reservations about testing , especially in Thailand as it seems to be largely a hit or miss affair - especially the "multiple testing" where things are treated like a sausage factory and the results can be wrong, inaccurate and finally misinterpreted.

I'd recommend if you need a blood test you chose a test for a specific thing (e.g. Dengue) and closely monitor where it goes and what sort of tests are made and by who.) If you are not completely convinced go to a completely different place and get a second opinion - making sure they aren't using the same lab service.

It's not just Dengue testing that is carried out incorrectly - some of the mistakes I've come across quite frankly defy belief, they are so elementary.

Dengue doesn't show up in test till after 2 days I believe. They can do a simple tournique test, cut/limit the blood flow for 5 minutes, to see if you will show red spots, which would indicate dengue. That can be done in an earlier stage.