The value of a farang in Thailand

Angeledge777

Like all East Asian societies, Thailand is deeply hierarchical. A deeply entrenched patronage system functions.

The methods of entry to this society are family, educational institutions (school, university), village (for the lower classes), workplace, government institutions (military and police are especially good), profession (e.g. doctor, lawyer, etc.) and social organisations.

All foreigners, not just farang Westerners, are largely excluded. The main exception being those involved in business here and they are only allowed temporary membership in the system.

Little or no value is placed on those outside of the system.

However it is a false jump of logic to necessarily connect that to the ridiculous number of deaths on Thai roads and the ubiquitous fleeing of the scene. That is related to lack of effective policing (fleeing the scene = get away with it), appalling lack of driver training and lack of emotional and moral development (selfishness trumps any concern for strangers).

Driving is indeed dangerous to all on the streets, Thai's as well as Falang's, I do not drive a car for that reason, Knowing that I can also have an accident in public transportation as well as someone elses car, but has not happen now in well over a decade.

In the village death does not discriminated on who they take as many very young Thai's die in motor bike accidents, I have gone to many funerals of people who died very young.

Very sad, indeed.

Cheers:smile.png

Yes, migration of westerners was indeed encouraged back in the day. Thailand still has quite a simple if not archaic immigration system that is going through changes, now that the social and economical fabric has been enriched by the foreign presence and tourism rocketed to the goals they wanted.

Now I feel that the mission is complete and maybe they have overdone it a bit and need to change attitude and laws to stem the influx.

Sometimes I think it is like when they introduced rabbits to Australia, it was a good idea at the time and did the job, but now they are a problem.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

And your value here? That value is completely depending on the environment you hooked up with... some people chose to be with people who "value" you based on your bank account... others (me included) have people around me who value my personality...

Tell em you ran out of money, and see how much value your 'personality' gets you!

I still respect him as long as he isn't another snob like some farang khee nok I met.

I can't see how you make the link from Thai driving habbits to the value of a foreigner here? People who drive away from accidents will drive away no matter whether they drove over a fellow citizen or a foreigner...

I am struggling to make a connection on this one as well, but the one thing that strikes me about this post and similar ones on TV is that someone moves to Thailand as farang and then they gets all paranoid and convinced the Thai population is out to get them...one suspects for 80% of the Thai population farangs dont even appear on their radar, but some farangs seem to think there is national Thai conspiracy against farangs.

What a b...itt, it is the posters perception. His reality. People will share it and others consider it nonsense. Apprantly there are 4 groups of expats on this forum. The ones care nothing about anything, the sensible 1s who not stick by an opinion but are willing to alter it, slightly, after a 'discussion', the thai bashers at all cost and the thai defenders at all cost. Reality is in the eye of the beholder. Truth is.............

Why do you think everyone follows the rules in your home country? Because the police are well paid and professionally run and you cannot bribe them. Everything is recorded. If you try to bribe, fight or run away from a police officer they will make your life a misery. Lawyer fees will run you thousands of dollars, get you fired, etc. Your arrest record and photograph will be on the internet forever. People follow the rules because it is in their best interest to do so.

I'm also a bit confused about which direction the OP is heading in. Some here have gone off on the "what value is human life?" angle, some have just talked about road safety, and some have mentioned the economic value of foreigners in Thailand. On that last topic I might point readers towards a paper I wrote some time ago which might get some keyboards chattering.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Why do you think everyone follows the rules in your home country? Because the police are well paid and professionally run and you cannot bribe them. Everything is recorded. If you try to bribe, fight or run away from a police officer they will make your life a misery. Lawyer fees will run you thousands of dollars, get you fired, etc. Your arrest record and photograph will be on the internet forever. People follow the rules because it is in their best interest to do so.

Very good explanation of how things are. Farangs...or Japanese...or Germans, do not have a strain in their DNA that makes them any less corrupt or dishonest. It's the system and the penalties for not complying with the rules. Driving is a good example. Most drivers in the US try to comply with the laws (or try to avoid being caught) because the penalties are extreme. But put them somewhere that doesn't enforce the laws...like the LOS? Some of the absolute worst drivers in Thailand are farangs. Or rather, it's the farangs who think they understand the rules of the road but really don't.

Edited by Berkshire

And your value here? That value is completely depending on the environment you hooked up with... some people chose to be with people who "value" you based on your bank account... others (me included) have people around me who value my personality...

Tell em you ran out of money, and see how much value your 'personality' gets you!

I still respect him as long as he isn't another snob like some farang khee nok I met.

Your respect + 50bht will buy him a cup of coffee.

The link is that there are 2 justice systems in Thailand. The one for the farang and the one for the Thai. The Thai can kill somebody on the road not being scared of being caught by the police. If the driver in the video would have been a farang, he would be on the front page of a national newspaper with 4 policemen smiling behind him. Still, this attitude of "die for free" that many Thais told me they have disgust me and we clearly see an exemple on this video.

there are not 2 justice systems...you are completely wrong, although I will agreed that double standards may be applied in terms of certain goverment departments, but this is not the justice system per se...

anyone who has lived here long enough that there is nationalist thing going on..which says "Thai's good....not Thai bad"

In example you cite...if Mr Farang kills somebody on the road..Mr BiB will try to make an example...but once it gets into a court of law...if Mr Farang was driving on a legitimate DL and in invesitgation it wasnt his fault, interms of the Justice system he will not be treated an different to a Thai national

The link is that there are 2 justice systems in Thailand. The one for the farang and the one for the Thai. The Thai can kill somebody on the road not being scared of being caught by the police. If the driver in the video would have been a farang, he would be on the front page of a national newspaper with 4 policemen smiling behind him. Still, this attitude of "die for free" that many Thais told me they have disgust me and we clearly see an exemple on this video.

there are not 2 justice systems...you are completely wrong, although I will agreed that double standards may be applied in terms of certain goverment departments, but this is not the justice system per se...

anyone who has lived here long enough that there is nationalist thing going on..which says "Thai's good....not Thai bad"

In example you cite...if Mr Farang kills somebody on the road..Mr BiB will try to make an example...but once it gets into a court of law...if Mr Farang was driving on a legitimate DL and in invesitgation it wasnt his fault, interms of the Justice system he will not be treated an different to a Thai national

Correct. There is also the assumption that most farangs are not well connected, and thus lower on the food chain and therefor can be easily screwed over. A few phone calls usually can usually fix a problem for some of us:)

A value of o a farang is how much money you bring to the contry

and how much money Thai people can get out of you

If you are dumb, your money will be gone quick

Thais will be nice an friendly to you until they see you have zero left

You will soon be forgotten and they will move on to the next

I'm also a bit confused about which direction the OP is heading in. Some here have gone off on the "what value is human life?" angle, some have just talked about road safety, and some have mentioned the economic value of foreigners in Thailand. On that last topic I might point readers towards a paper I wrote some time ago which might get some keyboards chattering.

You are quite correct.

Please refer back to my earlier post which deals with both points and even links them. I think it is rather good even though I say so myself.

Edited by Briggsy