Thai Cabinet approves 'no alcohol drinking' campaign during Buddhist Lent

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thumbsup.gif What is an birthday anniversary? He is getting 86 when I am not completely wrong!

All animals born on Earth only have one birthday. My birthday was 30th March 1962. Every year I have an anniversary of my birth day; that is the day I was born on.

We usually associate anniversaries with other events in our lives such as weddings but strictly speaking every time we celebrate our birthday it is a celebration of the anniversary of our birth day.

The Supreme Patriarch of Thailand is celebrating his 100th birthday this year not the king.

It is not as spr&q said, a "Thai invention". It is simply a non-native speaker using the correct terminology.

That makes sense. Who is The Supreme Patriarch of Thailand?

Religion is also a threat to society, and has killed more people than alcohol ever will .

Buddhist religion here is currently under the microscope, so if respect is demanded from the population, and they intend to see this through, then they first have to show that they are serious about what their religion stands for in every respect.

That would mean a requirement to immediately defrock their current renegade fraudster and sequestrate the assets in all of his 40 bank accounts...!

When and how long is Buddhist lent?

Above it says days (plural).

Hopefully it will just be the starting day and the end day and not the entirety in between which is about 3 months isn't it?

Starting 23rd July and ending 20th October.

When these Buddha day bans were first introduced by Abhisit 4 or 5 years ago everywhere had to refrain from selling alcohol. Then the rich who own the hotels (or rather the land the hotels are built on) got together with their friend Mr Abhisit and hey presto, hotels were excluded.

Does the ban include the monks?

Funny you should mention that.. we were just discussing it.. There seems not to be anything in the Patimohkk, vinaya (monks rules) concerning drinking alcohol. Yes, there is in the precepts.. But the precepts are not rules.. any former Buddhist monks on here that can show where the rule states monks can't drink alcohol? I don't drink, so don't be jumping on my butt, please.. smile.png

Excerpt "He said the statistics show that 23.6 percent of all crimes have been linked to alcohol consumption"

A very revealing statistic. We need laws to protect us from the NON drinkers!

Fact: 23.6% of crime linked to alcohol

Fact: 76.4% of crime is NOT linked to alcohol.

This proves that NON-Drinkers are by far our society's greatest threat.

In my homecountry the insurance companies have asked the government to RAISE the allowed alcohol limit in an attempt to bring down the insurance claims.

They say with the low alcohol limit to many men let their wife drive.

• Like 2

thumbsup.gif What is an birthday anniversary? He is getting 86 when I am not completely wrong!

All animals born on Earth only have one birthday. My birthday was 30th March 1962. Every year I have an anniversary of my birth day; that is the day I was born on.

We usually associate anniversaries with other events in our lives such as weddings but strictly speaking every time we celebrate our birthday it is a celebration of the anniversary of our birth day.

The Supreme Patriarch of Thailand is celebrating his 100th birthday this year not the king.

It is not as spr&q said, a "Thai invention". It is simply a non-native speaker using the correct terminology.

That makes sense. Who is The Supreme Patriarch of Thailand?

The Supreme Patriarch or Sangharaja (Thai: RTGS: phrasangkharat ) is the head of the order of Buddhist monks in Thailand. The position is formally appointed by the King of Thailand, although the actual selection is made by senior clergymen. It was established in 1782 at the founding of the Chakri dynasty by King Rama I.

The incumbent Supreme Patriarch is Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara Suvaddhana Mahathera, who has served in this position since 1989. He is currently aged 99 and suffers from increasingly serious health problems. In 2003, because of questions about the Supreme Patriarch's ability to fulfill his duties, the government of Thailand appointed a special committee to act in his stead. In early 2004, Somdet Kiaw (also known as Buddhacharya) was appointed acting Supreme Patriarch.

Thanks for that.

Give the muslims their due, at least they respect their religious bans.

After working in the Middle East for over 30 years I'll take that with a large pinch of salt wink.png

But so much better with a large beer???

When these Buddha day bans were first introduced by Abhisit 4 or 5 years ago everywhere had to refrain from selling alcohol. Then the rich who own the hotels (or rather the land the hotels are built on) got together with their friend Mr Abhisit and hey presto, hotels were excluded.

Abhisit did not begin these bans - they existed under Thaksin and under Chuan Leekpai before Thaksin.

• Like 1

Yes you are completely wrong. Try to READ to OP again.coffee1.gif

Please explain why the question is so wrong I also have a little difficulty understanding. Thanks

TAT announce Alchohol; ban will have no adverse effect on tourism. Foreigners come to Thailand for the temples. whistling.gif

Yes 10% perhaps are ok with it but most western societies are brought up with alcohol on the menu, for example French, Spanish and Italians usually consume wine with the main meal of the day,. Seems that Thais are like children and cant be trusted to make decisions and when Thais drink (if there is enough money) they will drink themselves to death. (especially in the countryside).

All foreigners should be exempt from this rule.

Muslims coming here on holiday will all be pissed off because its a place where they can drink like fish, have sex with anything that moves, not wash for 2 weeks and basically break all the silly rules they are supposed to follow back home.

• Like 1

Yes you are completely wrong. Try to READ to OP again.coffee1.gif

Please explain why the question is so wrong I also have a little difficulty understanding. Thanks

It's in honour of TWO people. The king is NOT the Supreme Patriach: Google or read #40

Thai Cabinet approves 'no alcohol drinking' campaign during Buddhist Lent

While in the mean time, a nasty, nasty naughty monk, from an obviously unknown but unknowingly rich family circles, was sneaking away overseas to Paris, USA and all over the world, owning 22 luxury cars, Gucci bags, trillion kachillian in value house properties overseas, etc.,...

I'll only work if all Beer production in Thailand is shut down for the duration of lent. I can think of powerful people that would not agree to that. So best thing is to forget it. It's just another 'aint we great and good' Pony Show.

Edited by indyuk