Bluetooth hookup in car sounds?

cheeryble

Hi

I have at last got a smartphone, and have started using it for listening to podcasts as my iPad is clumsy in the car (I'm an avid podcast listener).

I find earpieces awkward and clumsy.....and I have bad ears.

I would like to transmit bluetooth to a replacement for my car radio, so I'm listening on the car sound system.

I don't need great quality at all.

What would be the most economical option? (I don't need anything but the Bluetooth but am aware it may not come alone)

Thanks!

ps where is best in CM for equipment like this?

Edited by cheeryble

I just find earpieces clumsy all those wires to tangle up.

BTW I've got a marvellous JVC pair which winds up into a little case.

But once they're out they're a pain like all earphones.

HEY!

just thought.

Whilst I'd love to just play to the car system, presumably I could use unwired bluetooth headphones.

Thing is I had some before and it's another thing on which the knobs are tiny and fiddly and the batteries run out.

Car system better.

Hey maybe a Jabra would be a good in-between......sounds like one can make calls with it.....and presumably one could play podcasts?

You mean like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabra-DRIVE-Bluetooth-In-Car-Wireless-Speakerphone-/330955082525?pt=US_Car_Speakerphones&hash=item4d0e75cb1d

ps: I just tried to insert an image but all the icons above the box here......and I mean ALL including bold italic etc.....are faded and don't do anything. What's my problem?

Edited by cheeryble

There are inexpensive Blue Tooth adapters, but your car radio must have a 3.5mm input jack. I haven't noticed them in Thailand though, but that doesn't mean they're not available. Check with a car sound shop in the CM area.

Edited by BB1950

I use a Promate, plug it into the cig lighter, link to it with Bluetooth and retransmit on the FM channel of your choice. Then your choice of audio is down to your App (I use Xiialive radio or Stitcher Radio depending if I want music or speech).

It will also take a USB drive if you want.

They have various models.

promate-fm10-plus-car-mp3-fm-transmitter

BB1950

That would be ideal but I don't have an input jack I'm afraid.

Chicog.

I used to play from a flashdrive plugged into a gadget which went into the cig lighter.

It actually sounded great......trouble was you can't fast forward and back and no screen for choosing podcast.

I actually half wondered if what you say, a bluetooth version might be available.

So tell me about the FM10 Promate....if I get one can I hook up bluetooth easily and choose and control a podcast purely from my mobile phone screen.

ie No need to touch any controls on the gadget?

Thanks!!

Edited by cheeryble

Buy a new car stereo. Many of the new models are bluetooth capable and you can answer your phone by pressing a button on your car stereo and then talk hands free. I just bought an Alpine car stereo that is bluetooth/ipod capable for $118 (USD), ~3500 baht (another $60 usd for install). I can play music from my Ipod touch via bluetooth or via USB on the front of the unit. Now this was in Hawaii not Thailand, but I was amazed at what you can get in a car stereo for a very low price. I have not bought a car stereo in over ten years and the technology has advanced considerably since then.

• Like 1

Chicog

Thanks.....

Where did you get your gadget? And how much?

RSokolowski

I saw an Alpine yesterday with Bluetooth.......but 6500 baht.

As I never would use a radio or a disc player I don't see the need to spend that much.

Edited by cheeryble

Chicog Thanks..... Where did you get your gadget? And how much? RSokolowski I saw an Alpine yesterday with Bluetooth.......but 6500 baht. As I never would use a radio or a disc player I don't see the need to spend that much.

Sadly not in Thailand, but I would think you can find something like it at Panthip or Fortune.

Chicog Thanks..... Where did you get your gadget? And how much? RSokolowski I saw an Alpine yesterday with Bluetooth.......but 6500 baht. As I never would use a radio or a disc player I don't see the need to spend that much.

Alpine makes a unit without a disk for 20 USD less. I opted for the disk just in case I ever need it, almost all my music is on my Ipod touch but some music is still only available on disk. Hard to buy a car stereo without a tuner.

I was just suggesting some options, good luck with your search for a something that meets your needs.

I use a Promate, plug it into the cig lighter, link to it with Bluetooth and retransmit on the FM channel of your choice. Then your choice of audio is down to your App (I use Xiialive radio or Stitcher Radio depending if I want music or speech).

Have you used this device in Thailand? Years ago I tried connecting a Satnav through it's FM transmitter. However, at least in Bangkok, there wasn't a single unused FM channel that the car hifi could receive on.

• Like 1

Thanks Dork

.....actually I was using a similar gadget to play from a flash drive in the cig lighter and transmit FM.

The best frequency in CM was 87.5 and it worked very well.

I guess the signal coming from so close overwhelmed any radio stations.

So I quite favour the gadget shown by Chicog and am going to ask a friend who gets Amazon things occasionally if we can combine a delivery of either this or the Bluetooth/flash drive replacement of the car radio.

I would much prefer to buy one here and was just hoping for something, and was hoping for 2-3000 but it ain't gonna happen I reckon, I went in another car place today and was told 6000 minimum.

Edited by cheeryble

Have you used this device in Thailand? Years ago I tried connecting a Satnav through it's FM transmitter. However, at least in Bangkok, there wasn't a single unused FM channel that the car hifi could receive on.

I too have found unless one is out in the boondocks, the chance of finding a free FM channel in Thailand is limited, making these FM transmitters useless? I would be interested in this wasn't true?

I too have found unless one is out in the boondocks, the chance of finding a free FM channel in Thailand is limited, making these FM transmitters useless? I would be interested in this wasn't true?

Here in the sandpit there is no real organisation either, and there are tons of FM radio stations that, at this time of year, reach me from the far reaches of the Gulf.

But once this turns on, it quiets them all, and then the music plays it is clear as a bell.

It has an extremely large range to choose from, so I doubt there isn't one slot on your FM dial it can't fit into.

I bought one of these for my car.

Replaces the existing car radio and works brilliantly.

Comes with complete hands free smartphone kit.

attachicon.gifradio_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B1C88Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$90, well worth the money.

put one of these into a work collegues vehicle, works a treat and he is well impressed. Was Bt2800 at some big car part market in BKK (He bought it).