Amazon dot com new Global shipping

Sheryl

Some people simply do not like Kindles and like books...and I am one of them.

Yes, I know a mail forwader is an option bu if possible would like to avoid the hassle and extra expense, especially since I have been getting books and videos from Amazon for years with no problems, all by regular post, never had any duty levied on books, with the videos it is hit and miss, sometimes yes, sometimes no, more likely when a big shipment than when small. But no big deal, I just pay for it when I get the parcel.

Through trial and error, deleting one of the books at a time and then checking to see the shipping options, I found that one specific book was the problem and deleting it gave me the Standard International shipping option. There is no reason why this should have been so, I can only assume a glitch in their software had it mis-coded as something other than a book. I note that on their online community forum many others are complaining of same issue -- no standard shipping option appearing.

Other than books and videos though, I always found in the past that most things would show up as "cannot ship to your location". Possibly this new "Amazon Global" thing is meant to expand the range of things that can be shipped, vis. one poster reporting in getting electronics through. Personally though for that I would use a forwarding agent in the use willing to send by mail as I have had nothing but bad experiences with couriers here.

Anyhow it seems that the "Global" thing is supposed to be an option only, at least for books, but that there are glitches that cause the Standard option to sometimes not appear.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually used 'shipito' and what were their experiences?? I have a shopping basket in amazon, but getting stumped at the shipito registration process. Seems they want a notorised form giving them permission to open my parcels to consolidate into one package to me??

Also in reading reviews of shipito, there are quite a few complaints.

Yes, I have a shipito account and it is easy to set up. The notarization requirement is only to increase your mail box limit and is not a United States Postal Service requirement. (the USPS form 1583 is required for them to be legally allowed to open and consolidate packages) Without notarization you are only allowed one package at a time in their warehouse and have a monthly dollar limit on the amount of re-shipments you want to do

See the below graphic of the address verification process for my current account

post-10942-0-58544000-1373641843_thumb.p

Some people simply do not like Kindles, and like books...and I am one of them.

Yes, I know a mail forwarder is an option bu if possible would like to avoid the hassle and extra expense, especially since I have been getting books and videos from Amazon for years with no problems, all by regular post, never had any duty levied on books, with the videos it is hit and miss, sometimes yes, sometimes no, more likely when a big shipment than when small. But no big deal, I just pay for it when I get the parcel.

Through trial and error, deleting one of the books at a time and then checking to see the shipping options, I found that one specific book was the problem and deleting it gave me the Standard International shipping option. There is no reason why this should have been so, I can only assume a glitch in their software had it mis-coded as something other than a book. I note that on their online community forum many others are complaining of same issue -- no standard shipping option appearing.

Other than books and videos though, I always found in the past that most things would show up as "cannot ship to your location". Possibly this new "Amazon Global" thing is meant to expand the range of things that can be shipped, vis. one poster reporting in getting electronics through. Personally though for that I would use a forwarding agent in the use willing to send by mail as I have had nothing but bad experiences with couriers here.

Anyhow it seems that the "Global" thing is supposed to be an option only, at least for books, but that there are glitches that cause the Standard option to sometimes not appear.

What is it that you do not like about the kindle?

My mum is retired here in Nan province with zero access to English language books. We setup an internet book exchange just so that she could have new reading material but after I bought her a kindle for her birthday a few years ago, she has never looked back. We donated all the books she had, and she now reads everything on the kindle including daily papers delivered daily from the UK via the net and wifi.

Many of the books she gets from amazon are free, but they are quite often the first in a series, and she ends up paying for the continuation if they are to her liking. Recently she read a real paperback and did not like it compared to the kindle as it was heavier, had to use manual bookmarks and she could not change the size of the text.

I just find it strange to hear that you would not like a kindle, to me it seems to be the book worms answer in a foreign land.

Ever since I've lived in Thailand, I've ordered regularly online from Amazon.com and always had my packages forwarded here and handled by Shipito.com. They're a reliable service that has performed well for me, and I've never had a package lost among some 60 sent by them.

The basic deal is Shipito charges an annual service fee, $50. They give you a choice of mailing addresses -- California, Oregon and now Nevada -- and then receive and handle your box (not letter mail) deliveries. Everything is done online via your account and their website, including filling out of customs data, selection of shipping method, deciding when to send, etc etc. Payment is via Paypal or credit/debit card. (I should add, you also can skip the annual fee but instead pay a $8.50 per package handling fee).

But with the annual membership/fee, the Shipito customer pays just $2.50 per box received handling fee plus the postage costs for the method you choose, along with some tax and a small bank fee. The advantage of Shipito is they offer their own Airmail shipping method for smaller packages (up to about 4 pounds) that are half or less the price for sending the same package by FedEx, DHL, etc. Then at the Thai end, those Airmail sent boxes are delivered by ThaiPost and normally no tax or duty assessed.

Using their Airmail method, you can figure total Shipito costs of about $10 to $11 per pound of actual weight (not dimensional weight) from their Torrance CA location to Bangkok. Another nice thing is, for every package received, you get an online menu that shows you all available shipping options and the corresponding price and estimated delivery times. In addition to FedEx and DHL, they also send via TNT, USPS Global Express and Global Priority along with several of their own Airmail options, which can include insurance or decline it for each package.

I should add, though, that to sign up with them or similar mail forwarding services, you typically need to fill out a U.S. Postal Service authorization form and have it notarized, which usually is an expensive pain in Thailand, and provide them other forms of identification before they can start handling your packages.

http://www.shipito.com/shop-pricing

In all that time, I've never once tried to have Amazon deliver a package direct to Thailand. A lot of products are simply not eligible to send outside the U.S. And for those that are, sending here by DHL or FedEx is just asking for an expensive headache along with ripoff customs fees.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Ever since I've lived in Thailand, I've ordered regularly online from Amazon.com and always had my packages forwarded here and handled by Shipito.com. They're a reliable service that has performed well for me, and I've never had a package lost among some 60 sent by them.

Thanks for that breakdown, very useful.

Just to be clear, I guess I should have added, for anyone who orders regularly from Amazon.com, it pays to pay for their annual Amazon Prime membership, which includes free domestic shipping on many of their products (as well as a full year of their Netflix-like video streaming service). Also, all of their Subscribe and Save items also automatically come with free domestic shipping.

So when I mentioned about the total cost of using Shipito.com's Airmail service averaging $10 to $11 per pound for packages up to about four pounds, that would be the total price to get one's items delivered to Thailand -- assuming you were pairing their service with one of Amazon.com's free U.S. domestic shipping options.

AFAIK, there's no option or route with Amazon to get them to deliver anything internationally for free.

But with U.S. domestic shipping such as sending to a Shipito address, it's very easy to have most of one's Amazon orders sent without paying any shipping for that part of the journey.

I just received some books from Amazon no duty charged anywhere and delivered by DHL. The books were delivered by DHL because of the shipping speed I chose.

My recent experience with DHL, UPS, Thai Post, and FedEx is much different than before and inline with what is indicated on the Thai Customs web site.

Edited by hml367

I guess what is happening is that people are rejecting packages with the courier added RIP OFF padding charges made by their customs agent and no doubt shared with........u no hoo. My info may be out of date but UPS had it's own customs clearance arrangement and you paid duty always but it approximated the true duty. DHL are an absolute bunch of .....

In fairness to Thai customs, when I have been charged duty on non courier items it has been in line with guidelines on web site and NEVER the 60% and I think even 100% DHL have charged me - including charging on non dutiable books (+ rip off "storage" and "insurance" more than the value of the item).

There are more problems than just the extra charges with couriers...

Like: the customs process being rendered unnecessarily complicated due to their inability to explain what the item is/inept handling leading to a nightmarish round of being sent here and there to different departments for different (unnecessary) "licenses" and "inspections". I have known this to drag on for more than 6 months and then had to pay the storage fees for that time as well. I have also been forced to go down to customs myself to sort out what the courier failed to.

That's when I have been lucky enough to get the item at all. Most often it never arrives and they claim "delivery attempted - unsuccessful" when in fact no serious attempt was made. Granted that is likely because I live in a remote rural area, no courier has an office here (would have to drive out from Bangkok, 200 km each way) and they can't readily tell from the mailing address where it is, so it is a hassle to them. An address in Bangkok would likely fare better in this regard..but not in the first.

Great info, TallGuy, thanks!

If you are talking about any health related products or equipments they all require licences which you should have obained in advance.

DHL are not my favorite people but when goods have been sent to me in Chiangrai where they do not have a local office they reship with EMS and when queried give you the ems tracking number.

One problem wiht all methods is that if duty is charged it is charged at the rate of the highest item in the package. If you have one shirt worth $5 and $5000 of books you will be charged customs on $5005 plus the shipping and insurance.

No, not talking about anything that required a license. Just sheer bungling by FedEx.

I have finally gotten some degree of clarification from Amazon as follows:

Books and videos can be sent by Standard International shipping (i.e. regular post). No explanation as to why sometimes this option fails to show, presumably a miscoding within their system, in my case I was able to pin it down to one book. Note that judging from the complaints in their online forum this is happening not infrequently, but it is not supposed to as long as all the items are books and/or videos.

Everything else has to go by "Global" i.e. by courier. These are items that in the past, you couldn't order at all from Amazon so in that sense nothing lost over the past situation. Unfortunately there does not seem to be anyway to chose the courier yourself so you are at the mercy of what they decide. Personally I would opt to use a forwarding agent i n the US before I'd use a courier service. Less expensive and much more reliable.

Wish the couriers would simply send by EMS, that would be a big improvement but in my experience -- over >15 years and with multiple couriers -- this hasn't happened. I think mostly they take one look at an address that is completely unfamiliar to them (even the town) and just decide not to bother. And/or take one look at an out of the ordinary item that they don't readily recognize and ditto. Sometimes the file gets passed from desk to desk within the courier office before the file gets conveniently "lost". In general my impression is that the courier services here mainly deal with businesses and are not keen on individual customers, especially farang ones with out of the way addresses.

And in some cases they seem to be playing some sort of game perhaps in league with customs. For example, insisting that anything electrical (even battery-operated) needs a special inspection and license.

If you are talking about any health related products or equipments they all require licences which you should have obained in advance.

DHL are not my favorite people but when goods have been sent to me in Chiangrai where they do not have a local office they reship with EMS and when queried give you the ems tracking number.

One problem wiht all methods is that if duty is charged it is charged at the rate of the highest item in the package. If you have one shirt worth $5 and $5000 of books you will be charged customs on $5005 plus the shipping and insurance.

Thanks I did not know about duty on all at highest applicable rate. - explains something. Not really logical....oh never mind.

As mentioned duty levied on non courier dutiable items by Thai Customs are not excessive. From bitter experience (particularly with DH) I still go out of my way not to import via post/courier anything other than non [import] dutiable books or computer parts - as others have said you can get badly ensnared with something you would maybe not expect to. For computer parts I label "Computer part. Thai Customs heading 8741 no import duty payable" - shows I am not trying to evade VAT which is applicable but which they (touch wood) do not seem to levy.

Thanks I did not know about duty on all at highest applicable rate. - explains something. Not really logical....oh never mind.

As mentioned duty levied on non courier dutiable items by Thai Customs are not excessive. From bitter experience (particularly with DH) I still go out of my way not to import via post/courier anything other than non [import] dutiable books or computer parts - as others have said you can get badly ensnared with something you would maybe not expect to. For computer parts I label "Computer part. Thai Customs heading 8741 no import duty payable" - shows I am not trying to evade VAT which is applicable but which they (touch wood) do not seem to levy.

HS Code for computers is 8471 with parts coming under 8473.

I still go out of my way not to import via post/courier anything other than non [import] dutiable books or computer parts - as others have said you can get badly ensnared with something you would maybe not expect to. For computer parts I label "Computer part. Thai Customs heading 8741 no import duty payable" - shows I am not trying to evade VAT which is applicable but which they (touch wood) do not seem to levy.

end quote.........can someone fix this quote system.

That is why I prefer using th Global System....no surprises..the tax estimate is prepaid and I may get some refunded but never have to pay more.

I just wish I could use it for more things than they allow to ship.

I doubt it. The mail forwarders are registered agents of the shipping carriers, including USPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc. As such they are required to report the amount of the invoice enclosed on the customs declaration. That's what my mail forwarder explained to me. They are not interested in jeopardizing their relationship with the carriers which is the crux of their business.

Does "Ship to" send parcels declared as a gift without invoice ?

Thanks.

I have heard good things about these guys but personally have never used them

http://www.reship.com/Default.aspx

they are in oregon so you never pay sales tax on your items and they also offer consolidation of parcels and you pick the carrier and you supply the info for the customs tag.

I wasn't familiar with this company, so I was looking thru their details.

One limitation I see immediately is their shipping options only include FedEx, DHL and USPS, which means the prices often are going to be higher and risk duties with FedEx and DHL.

The other issue is they say their shipping charges will be based on the higher of either dimensional weight or actual weight. So if someone ends a very small or light item in a larger box, you're going to end up paying higher prices. It's usually better to have a shipper who charges by actual weight... I know from personal experience.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with your question.

But, with Shipito.com, you have the option for an added price of having them open your box, and discard the interior packaging box, or even discard everything except whatever you've purchased or want to keep. But the weight savings of doing that usually is offset by Shipito's extra charge for opening and repacking your package.

As for the invoice per se, most packages sent by Shipito Airmail are never opened by Thai customs...so they never look at what is or isn't inside. But in order to send the item thru Shipito, you do still have to fill out your own customs declaration online and the basics of that get printed and attached as a label on the outside of the box.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thanks.

You, fill out the customs form for anything forwarded by Shipto, all they do is slap a new address label and your filled out customs form on the package before mailing or turning it over to a private carrier

Patience, waiting for amigos to come visit and going back home yourself are the keys to getting things in Thailand. I simply refuse to pay these prices. It really has not been that bad wither once you get your want lists and system down.