Bangkok Bus Route Maps

I use the Bus Routes & Map, 5th edition plus my own notes. I would say - from my area - it's around 80-85% accurate.

I agree with the poster who said that trial & error is as good a way as any to find out where the busses go. You do indeed need a lot of spare time as some of the routes can take 3 or more hours end-to-end.

The main problem I've had is with busses (e.g. No 25) that can go in completely different directions depending apparently on a Thai notice in the window next to the driver. Being able to read Thai would certainly help.

Apart from Michael Schumaker style drivers, I've had nothing but good experiences on the local busses, including help on getting a bus to get back to where I wanted to go after the one I initially got went the wrong way (no: 25 again).

Thanks for the posts - good thread.

A rough guide is:-

a yellow notice with red or black writing means it's going to go on an expressway,

a red notice with white writing means it either started from or is going to (or both) somewhere other than what you'd expect, but will use the route that the number suggest for a large part of the journey,

a white notice with red writing means it'll not go the whole distance by a long way.

A blue notice with white writing usually means that the bus will do as expected.

25's have all these notices :)

Yes - I found all this out by trial and error and some hilariously garbled conversations in Thai. clap2.gif

• Like 1

This 5th edition Bus Routes & Map seems to be one of the most well-known and often recommended. It's priced at 50 baht, and appears to be at least several years out of date. It's also not especially easy to find. I checked major bookstores like Asia Books and others around Siam Paragon and Central World, and none of them had it. Finally, I was able to find one copy at the Asia Books store at the Landmark Hotel, and heard there were more copies at the Asia Books shop at Central Rama 9.

I called the company that produces this foldout map the other day, after taking a closer look at their website.

They did in fact have an English language 6th edition of their Bus Routes and Map publication, but the lady there that I spoke with said it's now out of stock and no longer available -- at least from the company itself.

The 6th edition looks like this:

post-58284-0-74034000-1374113577_thumb.j

The lady at Bangkok Guide Technology (1986) Co. Ltd. did say, however, that they're supposed to be producing a new version of the English language map sometime next year.

They also appear to directly sell various of their map products via their company website.

Good news sad.png for all out there who have learned their local BKK bus routes through time-consuming trial and error.

There was an article in the BK Magazine online a week or two ago that had an interview with Chula Sukmanop, who was listed as Director of the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning.

Part of what he said was:

"We are planning to re-route all the bus lines in Bangkok to better serve the BMT [bangkok Mass Transit] system--

they are a total mess now right now.

"As part of this plan, we are ordering 3,000 new buses, which will be delivered in the next two years."

I'm not quite sure whether to laugh or cry... Indeed, the routes of many of the BMTA bus lines seem totally crazed, like they were drawn by some drunk with an Etcha-Sketch pad. But at the same time, the notion of the government bureacrats attempting a re-do of hundreds of bus lines is equally a cause for concern, especially if they bring their normal level of efficiency and planning to the task.

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/article/plans-fix-bangkok-traffic-problems

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Good news sad.png for all out there who have learned their local BKK bus routes through time-consuming trial and error.

There was an article in the BK Magazine online a week or two ago that had an interview with Chula Sukmanop, who was listed as Director of the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning.

"We are planning to re-route all the bus lines in Bangkok to better serve the BMT [bangkok Mass Transit] system--

"As part of this plan, we are ordering 3,000 new buses, which will be delivered in the next two years."

I'm not quite sure whether to laugh or cry... Indeed, the routes of many of the BMTA bus lines seem totally crazed, like they were drawn by some drunk with an Etcha-Sketch pad. But at the same time, the notion of the government bureacrats attempting a re-do of hundreds of bus lines is equally a cause for concern, especially if they bring their normal level of efficiency and planning to the task.

Let's hope for the best, at least they are being pro-active instead of sweeping the dirt under the rug. Thank you for the information and I look forward to seeing what comes of this. thumbsup.gif

I've noticed that they've changed some of the depots already, which has confused a few people. Goodness knows how much confusion will reign if they ever try to re-align the actual routes :(

• 5 months later...

A great thread, which probably should be 'pinned' somewhere - ideally on the bangkok forum. I've been using 'Transitbangkok' since I moved here 3 months ago.and have found it very useful, Shame to hear its out of date. i havent fopund a flaw so far, though admittedly its early days. One of my pet projects over the coming months is to crack the bus maze as I think its a great way to travel.

Didn't see this last year. A couple of things in reponse to the above article.

First, don't expect either the new buses anytime soon nor routes to change for a few mores years. Both of these projects are not new.

1) NGV new BMTA buses saga (Note: This is only a very brief overview)

The ongoing saga to purchase new NGV aircon buses has been around since 2008! It started initially as a plan to lease 6000 NGV buses for $US2 billion dollars (yes you read that correct)! That was then changed to leasing 4000 buses. This was the BJT partys pet project in the Democrat coalition govt (they had MOT) and was an obvious scheme to enrich themselves given the inflated leasing prices such that is was opposed by the Dems causing mush internal friction.

The whole new NGV bus scheme has gone back and forth between govt departs & agencies, been subject to Senate panel inquiries and been amended probably over a dozen times under 3 different govts. A great case study on how not to procure new public transport vehicles. In that time NOT ONE NEW BUS has been purchased for the BMTA!

The situation for the loss making BMTA (currently 60 billion in debt) is critical as there are reportedly anywhere between 700-1000 buses sitting in their depots which are not in use due to either requiring new parts or a major rehab. When the purchase plan originally first commenced in 07 the need for new buses then was pressing.

Currently, the plan which was approved by Cabinet back in April 2013 is to pruchase 3183 new buses for 13.16 billion baht (1524 aircon, 4.5m each & 1659 non aircon, 3.8m each). PLus 10 yr maintainece contract for 13 billion baht. The tender is due to go out next month with the first 250 buses due for delivery in August 2014.

(see the TOR details in the graphic below)

However, late last year disability advocacy groups filed a case at the Administrative Court as only the aircon buses are planned to have disabled access. The Anti- Corruption Commission is also investigation allegation of price collusion in the tender.

I'd be surprised if the tender goes ahead next month but wait and see.

2) Bus routes changes

In relation to changing bus routes this has been a plan for by OTP & MOT of nearly 10 years. The obvious is that once the metro network expanded there would be a need for new bus routes & current ones to be adjusted to act as a feeder network and compliment rather than compete with new metro lines. Given that most metro lines are 5 years behind schedule - or to put it more correctly, the master plan is some 5-8 yrs behind schedule - the implementation of changing bus routes will not occur for a few more years. I'd guess around the 2016-17 period but that is just speculation on my part.

However, there was an attempt to start renumbering routes back in 2010 in preparation for route changes that was extremely poorly executed by the BMTA. (The current numbering system has been in place since 1961) It provoked a huge backlash from commuters - most people are used to these routes having taken them for years. The renumbering plan was quickly dropped and a number of senior BMTA had their fingers burnt.

Here is an article from that time to give more context;

14 Jul 2010

A plan to familiarise commuters with a new system of bus route numbers has descended into farce leaving thousands of people baffled by the double numbers. The chaotic situation prompted the Transport Ministry to order the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) to remove new bus signs which were aimed at alerting commuters to bus rerouting over the next two years. The BMTA replaced the number signs of its air-conditioned buses on some routes yesterday. The signs display existing route numbers with new ones in brackets.

The trouble is that the new numbers apply to bus routes which will only become operational in two years' time, when the city bus agency deploys new air-conditioned buses and introduces new routes. The BMTA said it hoped to familiarise commuters with the new numbers well before the new routes are established. But the plan led to widespread confusion among commuters who filed complaints with government agencies and posted negative comments on several community websites.

Deputy Transport Minister Suchart Chokechaiwattanakorn said he ordered the BMTA to use only existing bus number signs to end the confusion. Any changes to signage should only be made after the BMTA has deployed the new buses and introduced new routes. The number of bus routes in Bangkok will rise from 108 to 155. BMTA director Opas Phetmunee said yesterday passengers are confused because his staff who work at local bus offices did not do enough public relations to familiarise them with the new numbers.

1381955_551442698237621_999369573_n.png

it would be nice to know where the buses go when the protesters are in the way !

Sunday the 40 bus was no where to be found leaving chinatown , I walked over to the MRT and took it back...

plus the 48 bus gets lost coming back because of MRT construction and I never figured out which road it took back as it does not stop in front of Klong Thom market anymore....

just some of the fun of using the bus....

The whole new NGV bus scheme has gone back and forth between govt departs & agencies, been subject to Senate panel inquiries and been amended probably over a dozen times under 3 different govts. A great case study on how not to procure new public transport vehicles. In that time NOT ONE NEW BUS has been purchased for the BMTA!

The situation for the loss making BMTA (currently 60 billion in debt) is critical as there are reportedly anywhere between 700-1000 buses sitting in their depots which are not in use due to either requiring new parts or a major rehab. When the purchase plan originally first commenced in 07 the need for new buses then was pressing.

1. BMTA HAS got new buses, about 2-3 years ago

a.80 brand new white AC from CHIna, running on 140/141/76, based in Samea Dam. These are about the only profitable routes-on expressway.

b.40 ditto looking buses that were not new, but came from Premium Managemaent, after it gained the contract for Swampy airportbuses, but also could not make them profiatble. They were about 2-3 years old when coming to BMTA and have been repainted white. Based in Rangsit/AC depot for route 522, also ex-way.

BOTH series are nmbrd. as 90.001-//040/080

The current main series date from:

the red buses from 1992/93. Many of these (at that time also an order for 4000+ new buses) have been sold to the rot ruam and painted white.

the orange AC buses from 2001-2004.

In Europe buses usually last for about 9-12 years and are then sold on to developing countries for a few more years. But this also due to ever more stringent emission rules and not life-expiry perse. (In UK far more, as left hand is not easily sold onward).

2.BMTA-just as many rot ruam=private buses, also suffers badly from a serious staff shortage, also due to the union-insistence on 2 persons per bus-even in China they work OK with just 1 man and smartcards for paying. About 5 rot ruam routes do not run currently also due to staff-shortages and many now use Cambodians and Burmese workers.

3.re all those colours etc: there are also busguidebook(let)s, more in Thai but every now and then also in English, which explain it all, list all the variations-which transitbkk also seems unable to even understand. But right now these are out of print.

4.for those wanting to ride; there are 7-day and monthly season tickets (100/200 for 7-day, for non AC or//AC+non, or 400/800 for 1 month) but ONLY valid on the govt. own BMTA buses and not on rot ruam.

1. BMTA HAS got new buses, about 2-3 years ago

a.80 brand new white AC from CHIna, running on 140/141/76, based in Samea Dam. These are about the only profitable routes-on expressway.

b.40 ditto looking buses that were not new, but came from Premium Managemaent, after it gained the contract for Swampy airportbuses, but also could not make them profiatble. They were about 2-3 years old when coming to BMTA and have been repainted white. Based in Rangsit/AC depot for route 522, also ex-way.

Thank you for the correction Khun asanee. I was thinking in the context of the NGV procurement when I wrote that not one new bus had been purchased but it was poorly worded on my side and required correction.

I had been under the impression that BMTA had purchased some 2nd hand buses back in early 2012 as and interim measure and didn't realise that the China buses were purchased new. Do you know what they paid for them?

Oh and yes a mod should really move this to the Bangkok sub-forum as it seems it would much more pertinent there.

What do you think TBJ?

A move to the BKK Forum would be fine by me... Whatever is most useful for folks.

And thanks for the updated info that LG and Asanee provided above. Dunno how you guys know all this stuff. But very glad you do and take the time to share it here. smile.png

Meanwhile, re the bus routes article info I posted about above, I guess it just shows the incredibly shallow and inaccurate nature of much of the news reporting here.

The news outlets are decent at reporting whatever the government bureacrats SAY, no matter how unrealistic or incorrect it may be. But they're horrible at providing any context of whether the various things that are said have any chance of happening or any history on the subject that might inform future developments. sad.png

When I read the item about supposedly 3000 new buses in two years, I just mentally kind of sloughed it off as another of the frequent kind of government claims that was certainly unlikely to come true. But I gave more mental credence to the notion they'd try to rejigger scores and scores of BKK/BMTA bus routes -- and likely fail miserably in the trying -- until I read LG's added background above.

it would be nice to know where the buses go when the protesters are in the way !

Sunday the 40 bus was no where to be found leaving chinatown , I walked over to the MRT and took it back...

plus the 48 bus gets lost coming back because of MRT construction and I never figured out which road it took back as it does not stop in front of Klong Thom market anymore....

just some of the fun of using the bus....

Looking ahead to Monday, this is a perplexing question. And what I'm posting below is totally non-political.

I read in the news the other day that Suthep was saying his demonstrations were not going to disrupt public transport services, either buses or the rail lines.

But I'm trying to figure out, for example, how the protesters are planning to "occupy" Victory Monument all day without severely disrupting bus services, considering that VM is a main hub for buses in BKK that go pretty much everywhere.

Same thing, on a more limited basis, for all the planned protest sites along the major Sukhumvit Rd intersections such as Asoke, Ratchaprasong, etc etc. The last time/day they did a similar thing like this a month or so ago, I was around Asoke the day they blocked/occupied the intersection there. And I saw no buses running along Suk Road for the whole time I was around.

Has anyone heard anything from anyone in BMTA about what they're planning to do come Monday???