Clear answer on foreigner obtaining new blue book with new car

wailee

I'd like to know if there is an official proclamation on this please, as I heard in the past that dealerships sometimes have difficulty putting the blue book (tabien rot, is it called?) in the foreign purchaser's name.

I purchased a Honda motorcycle recently and had absolutely no difficulty whatsoever (although that of course is a green book). The sales rep. at Honda said they arranged them often for foreigners and all I had to provide, was a letter which my lawyer obtained from the immigration office, to say where I lived. There was no trouble at all.

The Ford motor showroom in Phetchburi however (see my other post on this forum about purchasing the Everest) was unclear about this - she said she normally sold the vehicle to a Thai spouse, but anyway that Ford purchase has unfortunately died a death, in view of the models no longer being made - they are just being drawn from stock. So, that Everest is out of the equation, sadly.

All I need is some form of evidence to show that a foreigner has done this already (with a new motor car), and I will then include the clause within the purchase agreement with the dealer. Thanks.

Edited by wailee

Oh, and I expect you will save money by getting your residence certificates yourself (I cant imagine a lawyer doing this for nothing). The real price at Immigration is 0B but the tip you may be expected to leave will vary from 0B to 500B (500B in Bangkok, 200B in Pattaya etc).

If you are out in the sticks you should also be able to get a residence certificate from your local police or town hall and it will probably cost less there.

One other thing: the certificate is only valid for a few weeks so dont get it until the car is delivered and the dealer is about to get the blue book done, otherwise you will end up having to do it twice. (It took my dealer 8 months from the delivery date and 9 months from ordering to get my tabien rot issued.)

My honda is in my name no problems - 50% down + repayments. That was 9 years ago though. Most cars are put in the spouses name for whatever reason I don't know - perhaps the husband had no credit history or couldn't put up enough downpayment, or the wife simply had/earned more money. There's definitely no clause where it had to be in a Thai's name. Our swift is in my wife's name as she wanted to claim the excise rebate, but that has finished now.

My blue book for my new truck was issued in my name. I am not Thai.

Is that clear enough?

We'll only know when I try, but it's good enough for me. Thanks for the clarification.

Incidentally, the residence certificate was a Notarised document before on the Notary's letterhead, both several years ago when I bought a car and then recently when I bought the Honda motorcycle. I also do the same when I renew my Thai driving licences. I don't recall the reason, but it's entirely historic - I simply believed that a Notarised copy of one's address was required.

I think my motivation for this was always that official documents tended to indicate the need to obtain proof from my embassy. They charge a fortune!

Incidentally, the residence certificate was a Notarised document before on the Notary's letterhead, both several years ago when I bought a car and then recently when I bought the Honda motorcycle. I also do the same when I renew my Thai driving licences. I don't recall the reason, but it's entirely historic - I simply believed that a Notarised copy of one's address was required.

I think my motivation for this was always that official documents tended to indicate the need to obtain proof from my embassy. They charge a fortune!

As with many such things in Thailand, the "rules" will vary according to what town you are in, the day of the week and what the person in charge had for breakfast. Here in Pattaya places like the car registration/driving licence office seems to want a residence certificate issued either by local immigration (200B) or your consulate (generally much more expensive, as you say). I dont think that a notarised copy would cut it with them here, but who knows?

Luckily the certificate is easily obtained here in under 24 hours for a fairly small sum. I feel very sorry for those in Chiang Mai where apparently it is almost impossible to obtain one without a lot of unpleasant queuing and a delay of several weeks. Paying 500B in Bangkok seems like a pretty poor deal also.

When I first got here I bought a new 2009 Toyota Fortuner and the blue book is in my name. I'm farang and married to a Thai but the Toyota dealership had no qualms about processing the paperwork with the govt to get the blue book in my name. We wanted to put the car in both our names like you can do in the U.S. but that's when we found out a personal vehicle can only be in one person's name in Thailand. So, we put the vehicle in my name; fair enough as the land/house chanote is in the wife's name but I have a Usufruct on it.

By the way, the salesman at this Toyota dealership was so helpful he helped me get my Yellow Book during our first few week in Thailand...that is taking the wife and I to the local district office, helping us to fill out the paperwork, being a reference on the paperwork, etc...got my Yellow Book the same day. We are still good friends with this salesman...just a nice guy. I did send along a copy of my Yellow Book with the title registration paperwork but that was at my insistence...the Toyota dealership could care less about a Yellow Book or certificate of residence, but I expect they sell so many cars and deal with the govt folks on a daily basis that they have no problem in quickly getting blue books issued in the name of whoever handed them the cash for the car.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

There's been some good info on there, thank you all. This is all directed to buying new though and I'm considering buying used. The vendor has a lien with the bank. Spoken with them and they seem pretty cool about it all. Pay it off in cash at any branch, they will fax through the amount left to clear. Draw up a contract with the vendor and me. They will also process change of ownership and registration (moving from Hua Hin to Chon Buri). I know I'll need proof of residency, and passport, I'm just wondering is there anything lurking out there I should know about first?

As with many such things in Thailand, the "rules" will vary according to what town you are in, the day of the week and what the person in charge had for breakfast. Here in Pattaya places like the car registration/driving licence office seems to want a residence certificate issued either by local immigration (200B) or your consulate (generally much more expensive, as you say). I dont think that a notarised copy would cut it with them here, but who knows?

Luckily the certificate is easily obtained here in under 24 hours for a fairly small sum. I feel very sorry for those in Chiang Mai where apparently it is almost impossible to obtain one without a lot of unpleasant queuing and a delay of several weeks. Paying 500B in Bangkok seems like a pretty poor deal also.

There's been some good info on there, thank you all. This is all directed to buying new though and I'm considering buying used. The vendor has a lien with the bank. Spoken with them and they seem pretty cool about it all. Pay it off in cash at any branch, they will fax through the amount left to clear. Draw up a contract with the vendor and me. They will also process change of ownership and registration (moving from Hua Hin to Chon Buri).

I don't like the sound of paying off someone else's credit before getting the ownership transferred, especially if they live elsewhere.

What if the current owner has a change of heart once you have deposited the cash? I wouldn't trust anyone here (Thai or farang) that much. Far too many cheap losers around for my taste.