Bangkok: Magnificent motors owned by royalty, govt officials and celebrities go on show

webfact

Revving up for fame
The Nation

30210263-01_big.jpg?1373672461019
Prapon Techawipak

Magnificent motors owned by royalty, government officials and celebrities go on show at a Bangkok mall

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Classic Car Club recently joined up with Seacon Bangkae to showcase the kingdom's 50 best motors as part of the "Classic Car Exposition 2013".

The shopping centre's activity zone was transformed into a luxurious warehouse reserved for the priceless collection and featured talks by owners on the motors' backgrounds and maintenance.

"I first saw this car at a scrap yard and fell in love with its beautiful body and dignified ship-like curved edge. I decided then and there to buy it and spent the next three years fixing it up to restore it to its former glory and make it roadworthy once again," says Prapon Techawipak, exporter of diving gear, of his 1947 Austin A Sheerline, which once belonged to Queen Rampaipannee.

"My father instilled in me a love for classic cars. I drive them every day because they need movement to maintain their mechanisms. Maintenance can be difficult to the lack of availability of spare parts but everything's possible with love," says Boonyarit Junlasap, the owner of the 1952 Bentley Hooper Saloon Empress, the government car used by Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram and a Mercedes Benz 190SL, another government car used by Air Chief Marshal Thawee Junlasap.

"Its body is so beautiful," says Kriengkrai Chaimongkoltrakul, the heir of Sampran Crocodile Farm, proudly patting his 1975 Mercedes Benz W 107SLC. "For me, a classic car must be a top automobile with a timeless design. Nowadays, it is rare we see any on the road because owners are afraid of accidents and the elements."

Among the other cars on show were a 1928 MG D type used by Field Marshal Sarit Dhanarat and now owned by ML Apimongkol Sonakul; a 1982 Bentley Convertible, used by Prince Peerapong Panudej and owned by Sawat Horungruang, a Mercedes Benz 300SL, also owned by Sawat; and a Mercedes Benz W111, belonging to actor Thiradet "Ken" Wongpuapan.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-13

I saw that. Some magnificent muscle cars on show. I often wonder why there are so few on the roads in Thailand?? I guess it's the Asian obsession with owning new things.

also because the roads in Thailand are not fit for such cars ... not to mention the other drivers and road accidents ..if I own a car like this I surely want it to stay in good condition.

I saw that. Some magnificent muscle cars on show. I often wonder why there are so few on the roads in Thailand?? I guess it's the Asian obsession with owning new things.

also because the roads in Thailand are not fit for such cars ... not to mention the other drivers and road accidents ..if I own a car like this I surely want it to stay in good condition.

What's wrong with the roads?

• Like 1

Too many steep bridges over the canals? When you plan to drive out a low-slung car, you need to plan your route carefully. :(

The roads themselves are fine it's the ruts and holes that separate the good bits of road that are generally a problem.

Then travelling on the roads are the nuts and a'holes that also contribute to a general danger.

Too many steep bridges over the canals? When you plan to drive out a low-slung car, you need to plan your route carefully. sad.png

I was referring to the muscle cars

Too many steep bridges over the canals? When you plan to drive out a low-slung car, you need to plan your route carefully. Posted Image

I was referring to the muscle cars

Also low slung.

Maybe not the roads in the big cities but perhaps the fine Thai hit and run driver technique.

30 or 40 years ago you had to pay people to take cars like that Austin A135 Sheerline away as nobody wanted them.

I nearly bought a 1930s Rolls Royce shooting break back in the UK in the early 1960s but I thought £250 was far too much to pay.

Oh would I could back to that time with the money.