Caught with cannabis

Benni81

I hate trying to get information from blogs because everyone is a know it all and many are way off base. I know a guy who was busted for a few joints on Koh Chang a long time ago. He was caught on a Friday so spent the weekend in detention, then got out on 20,000 baht bail. We (who lent him the bail) were expecting them to keep it as the fine, but they gave it all back except 700 baht. That was the extent of his punishment. Not to say your's will be similar, but if you go to court and act properly, you'll probably get a slap on the wrist. Once you start paying people off, it gets really expensive. It should be easy to find out the law and sentence for this offense.

• Like 1

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some bad luck man. I had a friend who smoked regularly in apartments, in guest houses, in hotels. Smoked around high-up heads of police, though they were friends with the guest house owner. That guest house always had clouds of pot smoke coming out into the street. Anybody who drove by could easily smell it.

Hopefully America's FORCED attitude towards pot (due to economy) will rub off on Thailand. I haven't smoked in over two years and happy for it, but pot being illegal is probably one of the dumbest laws ever.

Breaking the dumbest low is as dumb for us Farang as breaking any law in Los, in term consequences I mean!

You should absolutely approach the officer before the court date and try to arrange a fine "to keep it from going to court." If you know any Thai business owners or upstanding folks ask them to come with you for a "private meeting" to quietly discuss and explain that you dont understand Thai and they are there to interpret and clear it for you. If the cop is senior enough he will probably have a number for you. Pay it via your Thai friend.

I read most of the posting so far, but ... not sure if this was asked yet... Did they give you a receipt for the fine you already paid? Receipt for passport? Letter or official documentation citing case # etc? If not on any of these your chances to pay your way out are quite good.

Its always good idea to use a 3rd party, a go between. It always smooths things in Thailand (and Asia in general) as the conversation is not one on one anymore. Thais soften faster in this context.

• Like 1

I cannot speak of the penalties of marijuana use. Let me tell you this, Every month I fly with my wife down to Bangkok (Women's Prison). Her daughter (Thai by previous marriage) is 23 and received 10 years for 3 tablets of yaba (personal use). My wife said she received a cal fst before they sentenced her daughter. The person on the phone (anonymous) said it would cost 1 million baht to avoid prison. At that time (2 years ago) she did not have the money..so guess what? Yep 10 years. 2 Completed...and we are hoping for amnesty in 3 more years. Once sentenced, it was not possible to avoid prison. Do what you can before sentencing.

was she deemed a dealer? seems too high to a sentencing for personal use.

Edited by Jayroo

I cannot speak of the penalties of marijuana use. Let me tell you this, Every month I fly with my wife down to Bangkok (Women's Prison). Her daughter (Thai by previous marriage) is 23 and received 10 years for 3 tablets of yaba (personal use). My wife said she received a cal fst before they sentenced her daughter. The person on the phone (anonymous) said it would cost 1 million baht to avoid prison. At that time (2 years ago) she did not have the money..so guess what? Yep 10 years. 2 Completed...and we are hoping for amnesty in 3 more years. Once sentenced, it was not possible to avoid prison. Do what you can before sentencing.

was she deemed a dealer? seems too high to a sentencing for personal use.

This happened a year before I met my wife. She tells me it was only for her use...but sounds like to me that which you have just mentioned. Trying to get specific information is hard, but the more I ask, the more things come up. Her daughter had a history with gangs. (Bangkok). I presume she had previous arrests...so could have been that she got caught using yaba when she was a teenager, and was let off. I do not know the amount of yaba for which one would be liable for "dealing".She may have just been taking the rap for her gangster boyfriend. Could be deeper...

• Like 1

Thai weeds are defenitely the best, but paying 15,000b for 5 grammes is a bit much. Did you get a receipt ?

I condemn and disrespect all power abusing governments that forbid the God-given harmless herb of awareness and inspiration.

Sorry to hear the OP is in so much trouble for something that is legal or almost legal in many other parts of the world. We've all made mistakes. I hope you get some assistance from your embassy or a decent lawyer. A few visits to the temple or some other Thai form of making merit might not hurt either.

I wouldn't touch the stuff in Thailand. It's just not worth it.

• Like 1

It's already gone to far and I'm waiting for court while they kept my passport

And here on a 90 days touris visa.... I'm happy to pay any fine.... Just that I want to avoid jail and getting deported

Section 26 No person shall produce, dispose of, import, export or possess narcotics of category
IV or category V unless the Minister has issued the license with the approval of the Board for each case.
Any person who, in violation of Section 26, possesses narcotics of category V
shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine not exceeding one hundred
thousand baht or to both.

Yes sounds way too high a sentence for only three pills.

Guy in our village, 20 years old, got 6 months suspended for a couple of pills last year.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is because if you are caught with two pills you are considered a user and will get a suspended sentence. If you have 3 pills or more you are considered to be a distributor, If you have 100 or more you are considered to be a drug dealer. I must warn you that the Government earlier this year ordered a clamp down on drug gangs especially in Bangkok. They caught over 500 drug dealers and distributors including a German friend's son age 17 who was caught with 98 Yah Bah pills. He was remanded in custody for two months and two weeks ago received 2.6 years in prison. If he had a hundred pills he could have got 10 years. A little old Thai grandmother age 71 years got 10 years for a similar offence.

another way to look at it... has anyone in Thailand ever been arrested for trying to bribe an officer of the law (or the court) ?

I dont think so. Therefore, I think this is the best first move. And best done with a Thai friend or lawyer to act as intermediary.

@HardenedSouk. No one is getting on their high horse. Most of us probably have a pretty laisez fair attitude to weed, though I don't partake. Problem is though, the consequences of being caught in Thailand aren't pleasant. So better not to do it, no?

I'm not in disagreement with that. People know the penalties but if they want to take the risk, it's up to them.

Still, if the guy comes on asking for a little help with stuff like lawyers etc., I don't see the point in beating him over the head with his foolishness.

Been ten years in Thailand, out and about all the time, and never ever ever has a cop even intimated that he might search me.

Same goes for all my friends, mostly 20 years here.

I'm surprised it took as long as it did for somebody to pipe up with this old chestnut?

We're supposed to think how lucky and charmed your life must be to go for 20+ years without so much as a glance from a copper but the reality of the situation is just as likely to be that you probably look 200+ years old and the cops think you'd have a coronary if they tried to search you.

Yeah and there's another poster whose "mate" got busted with a half a kilo of ganja and only got an ฿8,000 fine. Classic cheesy.gif

3 tablets? 10 years? Yeah, right!

She was a either a dealer or had a particularly thick priors jacket; plain and simple

• Like 1

another way to look at it... has anyone in Thailand ever been arrested for trying to bribe an officer of the law (or the court) ?

I dont think so. Therefore, I think this is the best first move. And best done with a Thai friend or lawyer to act as intermediary.

You would be wrong, many have been arrested and convicted

Get a lawyer. But not through Thai friend, or friend of friend. There are as many bent lawyers here as bent police officers. And that Thai friend will get a kickback from the lawyer / police.

Like someone said, get a lawyer recommendation from consulate. Ring up your consulate, explain your situation, and they will do something for you. I cannot say any lawyer they get will be "perfect", but your chances of getting reasonable representation are much higher than trying to go through "friends and friends of friends". Places are Pai are breeding grounds for parasites who like to befriend farangs and then shop them at first opportunity to police / lawyers.

And no, I'm not saying all Thais are like this, just many of the ones you meet in tourist traps. Any Thai guy that comes up to you in tourist area and says "I want to be your friend" is on some kind of scam.

As for what the lawyer can do, it just depends on the circumstance. Sounds like too far for a "quick exit", a court date is more likely, but who knows. TIT

"And that Thai friend will get a kickback from the lawyer / police"

It depends on ones Definition of Friend I guess.

Why did you actually (have to) pay 15,000b upfront, for what ? Did you pay this to a crocodile smile with some vague promise like 'I will try to help you' ? In this case they might like to keep they new friend for a little more time and accept another kind donation.

They have hundreds of this issues with tourists every year and even in Thailand they are usually not too serious about 5 grammes of pot (in Chiangmai you can get it on almost every corner) they just taking advantage of their exotic catch, hence they are so kind to offer you free internet to 'arrange something'.

Would not be too serious about it actually, you just having a bad trip and need donate something tot the local flics. With a positive attitude you will be kicked out faster. Don't act like a loser but try have a laugh with them and understand the culture. Suggest them to share a smoke, LOL

Cheers

Doing drugs is a stupid thing to do anywhere, doing them in Thailand is monumentally stupid due to the strict laws. Get a lawyer and face your punishment, that's all you can do.

Lots of hypercritical stuff on this thread about "paying the police off". The point is he should not have the option to pay the police and most of the time I read of people complaining about the corruption. It seems that to some of you the corruption is ok when it works in your favor, total nonsense.

If you don't want to face the music then don't break the law, simple.

Well yes! People enjoy corruption when its in their favor.

• Like 1

Doing drugs is a stupid thing to do anywhere, doing them in Thailand is monumentally stupid due to the strict laws. Get a lawyer and face your punishment, that's all you can do.

Lots of hypercritical stuff on this thread about "paying the police off". The point is he should not have the option to pay the police and most of the time I read of people complaining about the corruption. It seems that to some of you the corruption is ok when it works in your favor, total nonsense.

'Doing drugs is a stupid thing to do anywhere'

Hopefully you never touch an addic-making chemicals filled sigaret, or a can of beer or liquor because that's way more stupid, and causing a lot more troubles in society or either in your body then an innocent joint, don't talk nonsense. iJlElAm1JeApP.gif

ps, personally me too I love breaking laws, hope you don't mind, and I love corruption too, can be very helpful ;)

wow. I had no idea.

Yes sounds way too high a sentence for only three pills.

Guy in our village, 20 years old, got 6 months suspended for a couple of pills last year.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes. I mistakenly called the drug yaba.. It was Ice. Higher penalties. Sorry, I did not specify correctly. And no, she was not dealing

'Doing drugs is a stupid thing to do anywhere'

Hopefully you never touch an addic-making chemicals filled sigaret, or a can of beer or liquor because that's way more stupid, and causing a lot more troubles in society or either in your body then an innocent joint, don't talk nonsense. iJlElAm1JeApP.gif

ps, personally me too I love breaking laws, hope you don't mind, and I love corruption too, can be very helpful wink.png

Of course the difference here is that booze and cigarettes are legal.......

wow. I had no idea.

Edited by simple1

Hi I'm a first time offender in Thailand , currently staying in mae hong son, I got caught for a few days a ago with 5 grams of cannabis in my pocket, I'm waiting for my court day, and I had to pay 15000 baht in bail. Am going to get deported from Thailand, or am going to have to go to prison. Maybe anyone knows a good lawyer around mae hong son are or changmai. Thanks for any reply

This is one area where a BG is useful. I believe you should do what others have suggested by having a talk with them. As long as your file doesn't state you were booked for distribution, you'll be fined for a max of fifty days equivalent, and allowed to walk.

A hefty fine and deportation.

The fine could be any amount and not able to pay or buy himself out, will result in a long stay at a Thai stink hole prison, where even the rats and flies avoid due to the extreme foul hygiene conditions.

Whatever, the OP`s days are numbered in Thailand or maybe turned into a living hell.

Hope he has a bottomless pit of cash at hand and a darned good lawyer who won`t be cheap?

Welcome to Thai justice system, have lots of cash or prepare to do lots of time in a Thai stink hole prison.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine in Phuket a couple of years ago. He was not so lucky to get out on bail, instead he was transported to Bangkok and had to sit in jail for like three weeks. The sentence was a fine around 5000 baht but more important he was transported to the airport in handcuffs and footcuffs(?) and they were removed when he boarded the plane (of course as the last passenger so everyone could see him). He was not allowed to enter the kingdom of Thailand for three years because of this offense. Hurry up and bribe the cops if you want to stay /visit Thailand in the next years. For such a small amount you will not have to spend time in jail, but you sure will get deported. If you wanna do drugs in Thailand dont get caught. Good luck!

As it was told before , try to talk to the police and make this thing go away. trust me when I tell you it would not be the first time this would happen, we had something similar happen with a Thai nephew of mine. cost 30,000 bht

If you have Thai family member that you trust have them talk to the police on your behalf, explain to the policemen how you are a good boy, how you didn't know, and how you will never do it again,. have the ask him if he knows of some one who can help you, most likely he will say that he knows someone who can help but it will cost, this way he does not admit it is him who is taking the money, and looks good for helping,

He will pocket the money, and your arrest report will get lost.