What's the most valuable trait or attribute for living here?

HardenedSoul

I wouldn't know. For the life of me I can't understand why, if someone can afford to live in style in his home country, and just travel to Thailand a couple of times a year for extended vacations, he would permanently move.

I do understand that some countries, and the N. US have very cold winters and/or lots of snow or rain. That could be a reason but still that winter can be traded for a long vacation to a warmer spot.

I also understand that some do it for tax purposes in high tax countries and I can understand that.

I have to say that I'm always happy to land in Thailand, and just as happy to get home, where I don't need anyone's permission to be, and where I own my land.

$.02

Well you sort of answered your own question: When I am in Thailand -- or any country for that matter -- I want it to be more than an 'extended vacation'. I spent a long time learning the language at least to a conversational and partial reading level, have no problem dealing with the overwhelming majority of Thais who speak no English, and I've developed a family-type arrangement here that I never had back home.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take care of your money number 1, anything involving your passport or copies thereof do yourself and always cross through your copy passport with the date and reason for giving the copy. Be respectful and contain your anger as best as possible and accept the racism that exists everywhere because the people are not educated to ow better in the main.

Take care of your money number 1, anything involving your passport or copies thereof do yourself and always cross through your copy passport with the date and reason for giving the copy. Be respectful and contain your anger as best as possible and accept the racism that exists everywhere because the people are not educated to ow better in the main.

Why would so many choose to freely live in Thailand, when everything back home is so great and that life in Thailand has a double standard when it involves them? Where people dislike you and only want your money, where you will marry a woman you do not trust and distant yourself for her family?

You would have moved back to the old country already, if it wasn't for the fact that your dog has allergy problems, and the cost of vet care is so high that is why you are forced to stay here.

I find the acceptance from the Thai people and the lack of the prejudice one has to live with in the states.

A willingness of the Thai's to share their country and their friendship with me. My willingness to learn new things and new ways of doing things.

Isolation, from the lifestyle, values and interest of living in a Farang oriented city. Do have many expat friend I met mostly on TV, but none live close enough to have a greater friendship.

Willingness to accept Thailand as it is and the freedom to live a free life, distant from the worry's of the world, that I have no power to change.

Most of all glad to leave the prejudice and the Police state the US is rapidly becoming.

A place where I am free to live the "Thailand Dream"!

Cheers:smile.png

• Like 1

Awareness

Being aware of what is happening around you, what is real and what needs to be questioned, even if you do trust your own instincts.

Understanding

Making sure your judgment isn't clouded by what would be acceptable in the West/your home country, and what is acceptable/expected over here. Re-learn how to read the 'danger' signs in conversation and actions by people you don't (or even think you do) know.

Appear defensive rather than aggressive, without becoming submissive......................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Apparently, prejudice.

For me, the only thing I've needed wherever I may have wandered is a job.

Yeah that keeps most people honest but not all.

A friend of friend got a well-paid job with insurer in BKK. Got here from Blighty, took up his post and got fired within 6 months.

Lost the plot on the freedom to shag around and cheap booze even though he'd visited the country umpteen times.

Know of quite a few people who came to Thailand on good jobs and lost the plot as well.....I think in some respects its expected for a little while when you arrive, certainly if your working for/with other farangs,but if it continues too long that when the problems start on the job front.....

I know when I came here to work, 11 years ago the first 6 weeks was certainly kid in candystore time...but after while you realise you cant keep doing it as you cant keep up with having an "active" social life and doing the job you were brought here for....

and I think thats were some people fail...they never realise that, and there maybe a degree of arrogance as well in that, they believe a company has taken the trouble to bring someone here to work, presumably on very good money/package...therefore the person concerned can do what they want as they are "so" important to the company and sometimes a very rude awakening occurs for those people

That's why I like my 6-9 month temporary consultancy jobs in Bangkok. Just about the time it's all about to go to hell in a handbasket, the project ends and I can escape intact, move back to Nakhon Nowhere and decompress. Then I take a few overseas or offshore jobs for a reality check and refill the bank account while relishing the next opportunity to get my soor plooms sucked in the Big Mango.

Instinctive Reasoning

Trust your instincts. Just because you have moved from one country to another, doesn't mean your instincts have changed, or how you deal with them. If something doesn't feel right, then there is a good chance it isn't no matter what you have been told.

Don't jump in the bath without testing the water first.................thumbsup.gif

I'll go for a good measure of personal insight. Whatever you are doing, right or wrong be truthful to yourself why you are doing it.

Don't be a prat and rationalise to yourself that you are here because of culture, food, or are a baht millionaire. Know why you are here, what keeps you here, and why you want to be here. False rationalising takes a lot of effort, is unsustainable,and does not make you happy.

Put simply if you have to false rationalise that you are happy...you are not happy.

Next for me is options. By that I mean that if you continue to be here because you cannot survive emotionally, financially, socially in your home country that is not a good thing. If you are a social misifit at home in my experience you will not do well here in the long run. Admittedly for a certain group in Thailand you may become more handsum on arrival (now remember insight!) I know more than a few people who sold up everything, or cut family and friends off, quit very goodjobs on bad terms, or otherwise burn't their bridges and remain here (unhappily) because they cannot for pride, finances. or other reasons go home. There is a big difference between running to Thailand verses running away from your home country. Don't burn bridges.

Last have some financial accumen....be money wise ...get your finances right...build in contingencies (inflation,currency rates, delays in funds access)...and as a radical concept not only live within your means but have the discipline to save here as well. Thats what got a lot here and will make your stay here more enjoyable and sustainable. Living week to week financially is not living and is stressful.

Edited by mamborobert

Ignorance is bliss.

Many people who ascend to personal nirvana in Thailand were at the bottom of the heap in their homelands. Therefore, Thailand represents a great leap forward for them.

However, for the people that are "normal", and who wish to have comfortable lives, the bottom line is, don't go to Thailand unless;

1. You have a transferable job skill or,

2. You have the financial resources to maintain the lifestyle you desire and

3. Are emotionally stable, have self discipline and are capable of patience.

The reality is that money is essential to maintaining a quality life in Thailand. Most people would go batty after a year of living in a 1 room fan studio apartment spending their days chasing balloons, the cheapest all you can eat buffets and seeking out the cheapest retailer of Leo. Financial worries and deteriorating personal health are the key driver of the suicides we see reported.

It sucks to be an impoverished foreigner in Thailand. They are treated poorly and are easily trampled. In Thailand, money and social status do matter and if you don't have it, you are treated accordingly.

Well...I have 2 N 3....but tonight, I intend to be a P&&& Pot, cause I can, and it's my birthday......

dont listen to what most falang tell you,

youll end up a lonely old man,

dont judge people untill you have met them for yourself,

ive lived with that all my life and has served me well,

some people might tell you there no good, he,s no good, she,s no good,,,,,,,,,,,judge people how you find not how others tell you,

this is a beautiful country if you go to the right places, and youll meet some beautiful people, who will try and help you just becouse they want to help you, not for what they think they can get out of you,

BRILLIANT assumption....

just my thoughts jake,, came here with an open mind, and im slowly filling it up with beautiful memories,

some people might tell you there no good, he,s no good, she,s no good,,,,,,,,,,,judge people how you find not how others tell you,

this is a beautiful country if you go to the right places, and youll meet some beautiful people, who will try and help you just becouse they want to help you, not for what they think they can get out of you,

BRILLIANT assumption....

just my thoughts jake,, came here with an open mind, and im slowly filling it up with beautiful memories,

BRILLIANT assumption....

Brilliant Assumption,,,

I wouldn't know. For the life of me I can't understand why, if someone can afford to live in style in his home country, and just travel to Thailand a couple of times a year for extended vacations, he would permanently move.

I do understand that some countries, and the N. US have very cold winters and/or lots of snow or rain. That could be a reason but still that winter can be traded for a long vacation to a warmer spot.

I also understand that some do it for tax purposes in high tax countries and I can understand that.

I have to say that I'm always happy to land in Thailand, and just as happy to get home, where I don't need anyone's permission to be, and where I own my land.

$.02

Family.

The most important personality traits are probably the same wherever you live.

I would say wisdom, forethought, good judgement and flexibility are probably the most valuable along with a warm and friendly personality. After that I would rank intuition,persistence and motivation.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

Kind of a simple question to answer really, you only need to be able to feel yourself as much a part of the local culture as you felt yourself to be part of the culture where you originated, see yourself almost literally as one of the crowd of local people you see on the street every day.

This is the most important attribute and all you really need.

I did not say it would be easy.

You have either got it or you do not got it.

I have got it.

I feel completely at home in Thailand.

It is usually the Farang that take a bit of getting used to.

I like 'em.

But I'm not used to them.

Anyway, if you got this attribute, that is all you need to live here (If you have ruled out the discussion of money.)

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference

Think that says it all....

What if you only get to choose 2 out of 3?

Why should we live by a different set of rules, just because we happen to live in Thailand??

Yes you can maybe pay your way out of a drunk driving offence. But whether back home or in Thailand, I don't do it because it against the law, and morally wrong.

Yes, it easy to find female company, but what company??w00t.gif If you have no standards whatsoever, I am sure you can find equiliant in the local trailerpark.

So whatever standards, you did apply back home, just transfer them here, and you will be just fine!thumbsup.gif

I can see no reason to "adjust".

Good post.

Some people think they should live without morals or standards JUST because we live in Pattaya.No excuse for ignorance,over indulgence with alcohol,and treating thai ladies with dis respect.

I live life as if i was back in uk,and do things in moderation,enjoyment is much better

Tolerance and patience.

Which are also the moist valuable traits for living anywhere else other than on a desert island.

A sense of humor also helps.

Yes, but more than these things which help one to get along also in one's own country, the key attribute required for living in Thailand is you gots to love it here, the people, the culture, Asia.

And you need to have a strong interest in learning more about the culture.

You need to be able to see yourself as actually part of the fabric.

And you need to be willing to be assimilated into the culture.

I've got it.

But there are too many who will fail at this because they see themselves as being separate from the Thai culture and from the Asian culture. They hide in their bars and pubs, watching their "games" broadcast from home, drinking their wine, smoking their cigars quietly chatting in Farang, while the rest of the madding Asian crowd flows by outside.

I do not find it too comfortable to be with these farang because they really do not share my interests in Thailand or Asia at this level. Give me the farang that owns a farm here, owns land, and is making this place home, and then I am sure I will get on fine with them, and there will be much to talk about, too.

The farang that are here today, planning to be gone tomorrow, or the ones who live in their separated communities and social circles, I will never really be able to enjoy their company, their interests and mine just too dissimilar. They, for example, learn Thai to get by, and only the minimum required. I would like to learn Thai for the pleasure of using it, and of reading it, even when I am not in Thailand.

You've either got this attribute and interest, or you don't got it.