Thai-Visa and the Questions of Farangs

swissie

TV can be a highly informative source of information for any Farang. Not surprisingly, a good number of Farangs are making good use of it.

What puzzles me is the fact, that 90 % of all questionings, ranging from immigration-issues, over to matters of land purchases and all the way down to " where can I buy an electric-razor or when does the next overland bus leave for Bangkok." All strictly Thailand-related issues

As being married to a Thai-Female in most cases, why has the Farang to bother with such strictly Thai-related issues? Always assuming that the Thai-Wife speaks better Thai than the Farang.

I will refrain from any cynical comments at this point.

Cheers.

Hit the sauce a little heavy tonight? So your thesis would be - why does anyone living in Thailand have any Thailand-related questions, when they can simply ask their wife?

Because everyone's wife is a font of all knowledge on every topic? Bizarre.

• Like 2

Hit the sauce a little heavy tonight? So your thesis would be - why does anyone living in Thailand have any Thailand-related questions, when they can simply ask their wife?

Because everyone's wife is a font of all knowledge on every topic? Bizarre.

Of course not. Only concerning Thai-daily live.

If, some 10 years ago, if I wouldn't have assisted my wife in the "way's europe works", I could have been charged with "mental negligence" .

For sure, the same applies to Farangs in Thailand.

I rest my case.

Cheers.

Your case is BS. How do foreigner related immigration issues and land issues with foreigners (as stated in the OP) classify as 'daily Thai life'.

The first barrier you need to get past is language. It's extremely rare for a Thai to speak English well enough or a foreigner to speak Thai well enough to discuss nuances/details. 90% of what they "know", they really don't know, and even if they had an inkling, the vast majority of them still wouldn't have any practical experience with most of the issues that come up here.

Clearly, language is a problem. (See above). University graduates from BKK after 4 years of english-classes are not capable of forming a sentence that consists of more than 6 words.

On the other hand, a bar-hostess in Pattaya has a richer vocabulary (english), than most university-graduates from a reputable Thai-University.

Again, I rest my case.

Cheers.

Maybe the Op wants to talk about a topic which is not to the liking of 99.9% of ThaiVisa members.

He posted a topic last week that got locked and removed quick.

The web is a vast place , i'm sure you'll find your type out there(Hopefully the police will find you first)

CCC

Your case is BS. How do foreigner related immigration issues and land issues with foreigners (as stated in the OP) classify as 'daily Thai life'.

The first barrier you need to get past is language. It's extremely rare for a Thai to speak English well enough or a foreigner to speak Thai well enough to discuss nuances/details. 90% of what they "know", they really don't know, and even if they had an inkling, the vast majority of them still wouldn't have any practical experience with most of the issues that come up here.

Clearly, language is a problem. (See above). University graduates from BKK after 4 years of english-classes are not capable of forming a sentence that consists of more than 6 words.

On the other hand, a bar-hostess in Pattaya has a richer vocabulary (english), than most university-graduates from a reputable Thai-University.

Again, I rest my case.

Cheers.

I get fed up with people who can't carry their own luggage

I'm guessing some people on this thread don't trust their wives to be authorities on visa issues; sarcely surprising, if, like my wife, they have never worked in immigration department in Thailand. Indeed, my wife asks me about immigration issues in Thailand. And from time to time, I ask here.

SC

Farang and Thai some things are very different, some thing are unheard of, so how do you explain ?

So only yesterday we have been together for 11 years, we were discussing a large sink, I was able to show what I was talking about on searching for Belfast Sink Pictures on the internet, for my other half, was the 1st time ever seen such a sink, where to buy here ? YES a Thai in Thailand and has no idea...

Guess when the time comes that we do need one will ask on here if anyone knows where to buy one in Thailand...

Yes even wanting to know about a Bus, or how to get some place, how far, is not always straight forward, often sounds silly but some cases just easier to see if someone on here has the answer......

only a week ago needed to know something simple, searched on the net for some hours, asked more than a few Thais, no clear answer, after 1 week asked on here, less then 4 mins later had the answer 100% what i wanted......... often so much easier just to ask on here

I remember many years ago my wife having to travel three times in a single week from BKK to Nakhon Sawan, once to the Tambon and twice to the Amphur, to have documents signed and complete what should have been a simple task.

When I asked why the left hand never seemed to know what the right was doing, she said nobody ever knows - including the person you're told to travel five hours to ask.

If the locals don't know, how are we supposed to?

Edited by Songhua
  • Like 1

I remember many years ago my wife having to travel three times in a single week from BKK to Nakhon Sawan, once to the Tambon and twice to the Amphur, to have documents signed and complete what should have been a simple task.When I asked why the left hand never seemed to know what the right was doing, she said nobody ever knows - including the person you're told to travel five hours to ask.If the locals don't know, how are we supposed to?

Check, check and double check again !

• Like 1

I agree with the OP on some of his points,as my wife has been an invaluable asset in learning about, the things Thai's do and why. What is acceptable behavior and what is frowned upon.

My Step-daughter did her on the job training at the Thai Immigration office in Bangkok and can handle most questions and complete its required paperwork.

Language is not a big problem as my wife and daughters saw the value of learning English and some Spanish. My daughter is a recent graduate of the Thai University system with an English major, and has a good grasp of it conversational usage. I have learned much by simply listening to them and putting value in what they have to say.

I have found some great answers to my questions posted on TV, but the positive experience has been soured by the negative comments by many TV trolls on any subject matter expressed

But as TV has been a great source of most non Thai related questions and has been most valuable to me here and I wish to thank those members for the great input I have received.

Cheers:smile.png

You need to understand what ThaiVisa forum is about, which is (IMHO) to provide a source of information on Thai-related subjects to their readers.

There is no restriction as far as I am aware that hinders you using your wife/partner as a source of information. But you can't forget that probably the vast majority of readers and posters don't have long-standing relationships here; most are visitors, short or long term, and on occasion depend on sound advice from the experience of others.

Once you get out of the General & Pub forums, that advice is there. Of course, the falang sitting next to you at the bar (as an example only!) can provide another source of information, but it is up to the individual which one they base the future of their problem/query on.

Without blowing smoke, I think ThaiVisa works extremely well providing, or asking for, information Thai-related.

It also, on the rare occasion makes me laugh....................tongue.png

• Like 2

There are only so many Thai related Topics available, and they have all been done and done and done to death.

Therefore, you get many ( mostly) inane and banal threads in General Topics that in the main, are just mass cyberspace brawls, or a Thai bashing free for all.

I have seen some interesting threads from an OP, but closed as non Thai related, fair enough, it's a Thai related Forum.

Perhaps a sub forum for non Thai related threads ?

There are many sub forums dealing with a multitude of topics, specific themes, there is a lot less animosity in these forums.

General topics............. it's the same stuff done over and over and over ( ad infinitum ) again, most of which I would guess is not based on fact, Troll paradise. smile.png

Yet, I'll wager it's the General Topics forum that generates the most traffic for ThaiVisa.

So, it appears there is a fan base for total rubbish. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

The OP is going by the assumption that we all have Thai wives. Not a good assumption. coffee1.gif

So the mercedes-girl turned down your 20.000 sinsod offer? sad.png

Maybe better luck with a proton-girl! giggle.gif

Excuse me, I want to enjoy life, and that doesn't involve marrying a whole new set of brain damage. coffee1.gif

this happens every where and not only in Thailand. when you live away from home, there will be questions on everything. those questions may appear to be 'un-thinkable' questions for a native. for example, someone asked a Chinese in China - why Chinese likes RED ?

same apply on subjects in your everyday living - coconut, when to pick ? if your wife is not a farmer, would she able to answer ?

ASKING is an art in life, I enjoy asking and being ask :-)

Maybe the Op wants to talk about a topic which is not to the liking of 99.9% of ThaiVisa members.

The web is a vast place , i'm sure you'll find your type out there(Hopefully the police will find you first)

CCC

Above mentioned post was designed to outline the changing "Moral-Values" of societies over time. Or in other words: What was perfectly acceptable in the past is not acceptable today. No more, no less.

In no way do I advocate a return to the "old days" in any sort of way.

By writing this post, I was aware of the fact, that this would have the potential of much controversy and is wide open to mis-interpretation. So the removal of this post by the Mod's has not come as a big surprise to me.

I hope, this puts your mind at ease.

Cheers.

AND OP, I cannot get a simple answer to simple stuff from my mrs of many years. Why, not sure, but the horrid face thing comes up into the answer equation and normal logic, soooooooooooooooo, most of the time l bury my head in my beer.

Fun aside, if you can understand logic here you are half way to cracking it. smile.png

CCC

Above mentioned post was designed to outline the changing "Moral-Values" of societies over time. Or in other words: What was perfectly acceptable in the past is not acceptable today. No more, no less.

In no way do I advocate a return to the "old days" in any sort of way.

By writing this post, I was aware of the fact, that this would have the potential of much controversy and is wide open to mis-interpretation. So the removal of this post by the Mod's has not come as a big surprise to me.

I hope, this puts your mind at ease.

Cheers.

Dress your topic up any way you want!

Anybody who has young sons would be horrified by the post.

That talk has two outcomes for the poster...

Castration and the rope.

This forum on the whole is family orientated.

So please with ease do yourself a favour.

CCC