Thailand has a new popular sensation - Hitler

Lite Beer

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with bikers wearing swastikas as a statement of anti establishment. then the punks doing the same thing in the 70's 80's. they are saying. I'll were what I want. If you don't like it then get t <deleted>. They don't really care about what happened in WW2. Why does anyone really have a big problem with this??? Its called freedom. They are just pushing the boundary

Edited by beammeup
  • Like 1

Agreed. In Thailand, we foreigners are expected to respect things that are sensitive to Thais....such as the Monarchy, Temples, dress codes and behavior. When it comes to marriage, we dump tons of money on the family of the bride for the honor. In return we should expect similar courtesies/respect for issues that are sensitive to us. Hitler was a dog, no doubt about that. Nothing was ever funny or fashionable about his sadistic methods. As for Che, although an enemy to capitalism, he had a certain aura to him that might seem fashionable to some people (not to me!) But please stop with the Hitler/Nazi Fad.Could not have said it better. I'm sick of pretending to respect this 'culture' what is Thai culture? an emulation of other cultures, (white skin lotion, Japanese+Korean pop crapture, material consumption, etc etc) since MOST Thais are incapable of any original thoughts, perceptions or innovations.

I didn't dump no money on the family.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with bikers wearing swastikas as a statement of anti establishment. then the punks doing the same thing in the 70's 80's. they are saying. I'll were what I want. If you don't like it then get t <deleted>. They don't really care about what happened in WW2. Why does anyone really have a big problem with this??? Its called freedom. They are just pushing the boundary

This is not the first time I have heard that a 'symbol' that represents the wholesale slaughter of millions of people, is just pushing boundaries.

I doubt it will be the last.

• 4 months later...

I just don't get it. Do Thai's not know he was a very extreme white supremest. He would not think of Thai's a human.

He didn't mind the Japanese and Thailand was a Japanese ally during the last war.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK, I had thought that by now with the new Thailand "Nazi/Hitler Chic" trend growing I might be immune to shock reactions.

But alas, no.

Walking down the street a pleasant dark skinned Thai young man appears working a pancake cart.

Focusing on his shirt in HUGE letters:

WHITE POWER (plus a HUGE Nazi swastika)

Got me again!

My first knee jerk impulse is to confront him.

But of course I don't.

I just stare at him for a few moments and ... wonder.

I, too, am often shocked at what passes for acceptable in Thailand. A couple of years ago I saw a 14 y.o. girl wearing a T-shirt that read, "Eat my cherry pie". Last year at MBK I saw a Thai wearing a shirt that read, "<deleted> you you f**king <deleted>". I've seen T-shirts with the likeness of Mao, Stalin Osama, Che', Bush, Hitler, and others for sale. I have never seen such vulgar shirts in public in the States. I wonder if the shirts were in Thai language they would be as acceptable. It seems as if it is perfectly acceptable to be offensive to non-Thais as we really don't rate in this society.

In the past 10 years or so traveling around Asia I have seen some pretty low-class t-shirts - Hitler, Mao, Stalin etc etc, but by far the worst one I have seen is this one -

http://cdn.pjmedia.com/files/2010/04/20100314-5-Thaskin-on-a-Polo-ShirtP3145752.jpg

Edited by mikemac

Maybe the Thais to be reminded they joined the japanese who invaded their country , lost the war and in 1945 Thailand was a formal British Protectorate Governed by Earl Mountbatten.for a year... their misguided claim to have never been invaded is just not true.

Edited by Bkkbound
  • Like 1

OK, I had thought that by now with the new Thailand "Nazi/Hitler Chic" trend growing I might be immune to shock reactions.

But alas, no.

Walking down the street a pleasant dark skinned Thai young man appears working a pancake cart.

Focusing on his shirt in HUGE letters:

WHITE POWER (plus a HUGE Nazi swastika)

Got me again!

My first knee jerk impulse is to confront him.

But of course I don't.

I just stare at him for a few moments and ... wonder.

I, too, am often shocked at what passes for acceptable in Thailand. A couple of years ago I saw a 14 y.o. girl wearing a T-shirt that read, "Eat my cherry pie". Last year at MBK I saw a Thai wearing a shirt that read, "<deleted> you you f**king <deleted>". I've seen T-shirts with the likeness of Mao, Stalin Osama, Che', Bush, Hitler, and others for sale. I have never seen such vulgar shirts in public in the States. I wonder if the shirts were in Thai language they would be as acceptable. It seems as if it is perfectly acceptable to be offensive to non-Thais as we really don't rate in this society.

In the past 10 years or so traveling around Asia I have seen some pretty low-class t-shirts - Hitler, Mao, Stalin etc etc, but by far the worst one I have seen is this one -

http://cdn.pjmedia.com/files/2010/04/20100314-5-Thaskin-on-a-Polo-ShirtP3145752.jpg

555 Yeah. I need one of those to put next to my Osama bin Laden T-shirt.

Maybe the Thais to be reminded they joined the japanese who invaded their country , lost the war and in 1945 Thailand was a formal British Protectorate Governed by Earl Mountbatten.for a year... their misguided claim to have never been invaded is just not true.

Source please.

Wherever you got that information, it is wrong. After the war, England wanted Thailand to pay restitution but the US stepped in on Thailand's behalf because Thailand's ambassador to the US never handed the Declaration of War papers to the US government in 1941. Thailand kept its civilian government during Japanese occupation and was never a Protectorate under the British. http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/History/Thailand-history.htm

• Like 1

Maybe someone can reach out to some local expat bloggers who have the ear of some of the local community. I'm sure if they were told of the horrors and true extent of the holocaust they may think twice.

Source please.

Wherever you got that information, it is wrong. After the war, England wanted Thailand to pay restitution but the US stepped in on Thailand's behalf because Thailand's ambassador to the US never handed the Declaration of War papers to the US government in 1941. Thailand kept its civilian government during Japanese occupation and was never a Protectorate under the British. http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/History/Thailand-history.htm

There are many sources relating to the SEAC command once the japanese had surrendered, Mounbatten took British Troops into Thailand and facilitated the transfer of power. It was done in a year, but during that time Thailand was under British jurisdiction..

There are quite a few photographs of the British military in Bangkok..

Edited by Bkkbound

Source please.

There are many sources relating to the SEAC command once the japanese had surrendered, Mounbatten took British Troops into Thailand and facilitated the transfer of power. It was done in a year, but during that time Thailand was under British jurisdiction..

There are quite a few photographs of the British military in Bangkok..

There are many sources relating to the SEAC command once the japanese had surrendered

So, why can't you give me even one of them. I majored in History and have extensive knowledge of Thai history and I've never seen a source where there was even a hint of British occupation or, as you claimed. being a British Protectorate for one year under Louis Mountbatten. Quote one reliable source or admit your post is half-remembered BS. Or, like most trolls, you can just ignore me; I'm fine with that also.

"Your are entitled to his own opinion but not to your own facts" - Daniel Patric Moynihan.

When monkeys are trained to salute does it really matter to whom?

Not to the monkeys... It becomes a gesture they are used to produce to get a banana.

Asking them to think, to remember, to differentiate, to analyze is too much...

This is why the greatest harm comes not from Commies, not from Nazis, not from Muslims, but from idealistic liberals...

IMHO.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

Interesting, - the OP and events triggered it go back to July 2013.

I thought the hot debate that followed was buried and finished, yet we see a revival ...

I do not believe the trigger of such revival was Putin, Crimea, N. Korea, Syria and some such International events since then.

I believe the internal 'politics' are at the bottom of the fact.

And what the members think? facepalm.gif

Outrage over this is a losing battle. It is a matter of lack of awareness rather than deliberate malice, IMHO. On the other hand, there is a restaurant in Bandung, Indonesia given over completely to NAZI themes, including having the waiters dressed in a variation of the SS uniform. In that case the owner, while denying it was pro-fascist, put the question : " was Hitler really so bad" and implied a political angle to his theme.

These symbols cause grief/outrage to people of a certain age but I suspect younger people in the west don't have much knowledge about any of the litany of monsters from what we might regard as the relatively recent past.

My thai mother-in-law told me a short while ago about the time when the Japanese invaded Surat Thani and the Brit or US gave the thais advice to destroy the large bridges so the Japanese Army can not move quickly forward to the deep South of Thailand.

Hold on, hold on.

The Thais who are doing this Hitler crap obviously have no idea about what happened during World War Two. Off-course, it's not their intent to cause offence.
Now, we get people who mock political correctness, and go on about how people should see things as a laugh and harmless fun. Let's get real, Thais are not actually supporting Nazism or Hitler, they mean no harm at all.

Let's have consistency. If people say something that is offensive or wrong, well, should they be banned and condemned ? Yes, we are offended by the ridiculous Hitler crap that Thai youngsters are into. It might be the case that other people are offended by some of the stuff we do and say.

Who is the judge in deciding what is offensive and what is harmless fun ? How about we accept, that if enough people regard anything as offensive, then, it should be banned and condemned. OR, we accept that anybody who says anything, as long as they didn't mean to attack anybody, well, it's okay, it's their freedom of expression.

Fits the personna of so many Thais, power, control and all the rest but they won't understand that as they don't know who he was.

But yet was it 1942 Thailand declared war on US and UK. and still against us a little bit, and had it not been for the west and it's friends Japan would be in control of all Asia as far as India and the Nazis would have had control of the west, only then to fight for win all, I wonder who would have been the victor in the end ???

Let this be a lesson to the world, about the true mentality and the lack of respect many Thais have for foreigners, countries and cultures. However, this is an excellent opportunity for business investment as one can see, simple minds can easily be manipulated.

Are you saying that Thai people have simple minds, if so, compared to who?

Rather racist if you ask me.

Hold on, hold on.

The Thais who are doing this Hitler crap obviously have no idea about what happened during World War Two. Off-course, it's not their intent to cause offence.

Now, we get people who mock political correctness, and go on about how people should see things as a laugh and harmless fun. Let's get real, Thais are not actually supporting Nazism or Hitler, they mean no harm at all.

Let's have consistency. If people say something that is offensive or wrong, well, should they be banned and condemned ? Yes, we are offended by the ridiculous Hitler crap that Thai youngsters are into. It might be the case that other people are offended by some of the stuff we do and say.

Who is the judge in deciding what is offensive and what is harmless fun ? How about we accept, that if enough people regard anything as offensive, then, it should be banned and condemned. OR, we accept that anybody who says anything, as long as they didn't mean to attack anybody, well, it's okay, it's their freedom of expression.

The question is, why don't Thai people learn about the Nazis?

Thailand and Thai people certainly suffered the consequences of WWII.

Framed in a bigger picture of the dangers of Nationalism, the dangers of a One Party State gaining power through democratic elections or the dangers to all citizens that arise from allowing a political party to claim the right to act only for those who support it, to establish political militias throughout the nation.

It seems that there is something that Thailand can learn from the lessons the west learned from the Nazis

Well, I think youngsters in Europe should certainly read about the six million who were killed by the Nazis, and also World War Two.

Yes, Thais should learn about the Nazis, but surely, because Thailand is in East Asia, Thais should learn about the mass murder done by Japan before learning about the Nazi crimes in Europe ? After all, Japan might (or did) kill as many in Asia as Germany did in Europe and Russia ?

Once we start looking at the Nazis, and we try to see how present day governments are slightly copying the Nazi way of doing things, well, surely, people like George Bush and Putin are closer to the Nazis than anything that Thailand has ? After all, Thailand has no intention of expanding it's army, and taking over it's neighbours. And that's with or without the present government. :)

Shall we suggest now that America and Russia should get their youngsters to learn about the Nazis, that way, America and Russia will learn that Nazism is not the way forward ? Does teaching youngsters about Nazism cause them to not vote for certain political parties ?? :)

• Like 1

Interesting Article in Al Jezeerra

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/08/20138916509337563.html

"As a nation that relies on tourism, you cannot afford to have such ignorance.

Truth and education are the best disinfectants against bigotry and lies."

"As a nation that relies on tourism, you cannot afford to have such ignorance".

This comment is partly true for certain countries, but is it true about Thailand ?

A person can easily claim "most of the tourists who come here are looking for the bars with ladies, these people are not going to switch to another country on the grounds that some Thais are wearing Nazi t-shirts, and they are unaware of Nazism" ! :)

I follow an American ex pat journo in Thailand - Michael Yon, and I asked him if he ever considered doing a piece on this. His response was that it was a good idea and he would do one today. He has reach within the Thai community and thankfully those that did respond know very well who he was and like many others blame the education system.

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage

Source please.

Clearly your education has colluded with the Thai notion of invincibility. I leave you with just a taster of the evidence available;

www.britishpathe.com/video/garden-party-in-bangkok/query/siam

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/military-parade-in-bangkok/query/siam

There are a number of films including British Military patrols in BKK, the Brits have never claimed this means much, but it was the British that transferred power within Thailand to Rama 7.

I follow an American ex pat journo in Thailand - Michael Yon, and I asked him if he ever considered doing a piece on this. His response was that it was a good idea and he would do one today. He has reach within the Thai community and thankfully those that did respond know very well who he was and like many others blame the education system.

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage

Hello there !

I've just had a quick look at this facebook page. Yes, Micheal Yon is an anti-Thaksinite. He did write something that I totally agree with. Comparing Hitler with Thaksin massively reduces the credibility of anyone who actually does this !! :)

I'm not a fan of Suthep, and yes, I am a slightly nasty person because I would like to see the anti-Thaksinites carry on there "Thaksin is the same as Hitler" comments, because yes, this damages the entire anti-Thaksinite campaign !! :)

Although he referenced some comments on comparing taksin with hitler the main point was to highlight that hitler was evil and should not be the subject of fast food restaurants or t shirt logos.

Unfortunately as well as a few educated Thais there are also a few clueless ones there displaying full ignorance in saying taksin was worse as hitler at least was a patriot.

Although he referenced some comments on comparing taksin with hitler the main point was to highlight that hitler was evil and should not be the subject of fast food restaurants or t shirt logos.

Unfortunately as well as a few educated Thais there are also a few clueless ones there displaying full ignorance in saying taksin was worse as hitler at least was a patriot.

Yes, there's the post about Hitler fried chicken, and above that post is the one about "comparing Hitler with Thaksin", and how doing this damages the credibility of those who do this.

Do you feel that those who make any comments connecting and comparing Hitler with Thaksin (in any shape or form) reduces and damages their own credibility ??

Hold on, hold on.

The question is, why don't Thai people learn about the Nazis?

Thailand and Thai people certainly suffered the consequences of WWII.

Framed in a bigger picture of the dangers of Nationalism, the dangers of a One Party State gaining power through democratic elections or the dangers to all citizens that arise from allowing a political party to claim the right to act only for those who support it, to establish political militias throughout the nation.

It seems that there is something that Thailand can learn from the lessons the west learned from the Nazis

Well, I think youngsters in Europe should certainly read about the six million who were killed by the Nazis, and also World War Two.

Yes, Thais should learn about the Nazis, but surely, because Thailand is in East Asia, Thais should learn about the mass murder done by Japan before learning about the Nazi crimes in Europe ? After all, Japan might (or did) kill as many in Asia as Germany did in Europe and Russia ?

Once we start looking at the Nazis, and we try to see how present day governments are slightly copying the Nazi way of doing things, well, surely, people like George Bush and Putin are closer to the Nazis than anything that Thailand has ? After all, Thailand has no intention of expanding it's army, and taking over it's neighbours. And that's with or without the present government. smile.png

Shall we suggest now that America and Russia should get their youngsters to learn about the Nazis, that way, America and Russia will learn that Nazism is not the way forward ? Does teaching youngsters about Nazism cause them to not vote for certain political parties ?? smile.png

ONly the ones studying history.

iT'S PAST, FORGET IT. iS IT OK TO GO TO A TOGA PARTY DRESSED AS A rOMAN?