Where are the seagulls?

2planes3towers

Back to seaguls. I found a map that shows their habitat range. They apparently do not like Thailand but are in southern China. One poster said terns are over here, which are related to seaguls. If terns are near Bangkok, why do I not see them in Pattaya-Jomtien? Do they know something we do not know about water pollution here? I would think not because the closer you get to Bangkok the more polluted the water is. Nuff said.

Seagulls are often seen in large numbers at garbage disposal landfill sites, so they're probably not all that fussy about where they live.

"Deserts"? You should visit a good coral reef, far from being a desert.

I've been to many coral reefs and you are right, but, they are tiny, tiny oases in vast deserts.

There are far more pelagic species in cold water than in the tropics. This is why animals that need large amounts of food, such as whales and big sharks, hunt primarily in cold seas and oceans.

Instead, Pattaya beach has plenty of pigeons (rats with wings) that live off the bits and pieces of food left on the sand. For those who have condos with balconies, these birds are a real problem.

Edited by toenail

As Goshawk quite correctly points out, Bangpoo in Samutprakan is famous for its gulls (not terns, though you'll terns there too).

The big flocks are around roughly October-February I think. It's mostly brown-headed gulls with one or two other species in lesser numbers. They fly up and down the length of the pier catching food that people lob into the air for them.

Are there gulls on the other side of they bay? there are many migrating birds that pass through Prachuab Khiri Khan (Hua-Hin) jut opposite Pattaya, as that's the only land mass connecting the southern hemisphere with Europe and Central Asia, I've seen peregrine falcon in Prachuab Near Chumphorn, but It's never cross my mind to look for gulls

As Goshawk quite correctly points out, Bangpoo in Samutprakan is famous for its gulls (not terns, though you'll terns there too).

The big flocks are around roughly October-February I think. It's mostly brown-headed gulls with one or two other species in lesser numbers. They fly up and down the length of the pier catching food that people lob into the air for them.

the popular feeding of the birds is secondary... they still congregate here in very large numbers regardless of that. Bang Pu lies at the mouth of the Chao Phraya, and where freshwater & saltwater meet, with the resulting nutrient rich vast mudflats, it becomes prime feeding territory for many seabirds and waders. Also, it's more like a good 7-8 months of the year that you'll find gulls all around the Bay of Bangkok (and beyond)

Seagull eggs have a very high estrogen content(2).

In the late 1990's- women flocked to Pattaya from Issaan, bringing with them odd dietary habits(3). Many of these neophytes became pregnant, and their progeny developed in an estrogen rich womb(2). Many female offspring entered womanhood as stunning beauties(3). However, the males became ladyboys (1)- whose biggest worry was a shortage of 'estro' eggs'(2). The gulls developed a healthy fear of effeminate homosexuals, and flew North(1). The ensuing hue and cry reached the ears of overly sympathetic (Boyz Town regulars) pharmaceutical executives(1), and the self-serving decision was made to supply Pattaya with inexpensive injectable estrogen. (2)

Sources:

(1) Homophobe Monthly

(2) The Conservative Journal of Medicine

(3) The Daily Monger

Sounds like total bullshit to me.