Who's confused? Me, or immigration?

KarenBravo

I think both "visa on entry" and "visa exempt" can be construed as VOA or visa on arrival, that

perhaps is the intenion of the phrase " VOA "

No, one is a visa, one is not.

Well steven I assume that you consider "visa on entry" to be a visa and "visa exempt" not to be a visa??

I have never had a visa on entry but I have lots of 30/15 day entry stamps which I will have to assume are

what you say are visa exempt stamps which clearly have a line on all of them which very clearly says

"visa class" next to which immigration has written or stamped "non re". This I would say makes this a

30/15 day visa in anyones book, otherwise why mention a visa class on a visa exempt stamp????

I think the exempt means exempt from the necessity to obtain a visa on entry but not exempt from actually

having one to enter the country.

Yes, at least in common English they are both the same:

vi·sa

/ˈvēzə/
Noun
An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration was wrong, the 30 day stamp at the airport or 15 days at a land border is a visa exempt entry. The VIsa on arrival is where you actually get and pay for a visa at the border.

watch how you say they are wrong! the thai's have this thing about saving face and even when they are wrong if you don't give them a way out, YOU WILL NOT GET ANYTHING DONE! their pecking order is something else.

Good then that is were not the Thais giving this information.

That's what I thought, but, they just wouldn't have it.

The slips of paper that have a list of all the things you need for the visa list 30/15 day VOA.

OK, thanks for that.

I think both "visa on entry" and "visa exempt" can be construed as VOA or visa on arrival, that

Well steven I assume that you consider "visa on entry" to be a visa and "visa exempt" not to be a visa??

I have never had a visa on entry but I have lots of 30/15 day entry stamps which I will have to assume are

what you say are visa exempt stamps which clearly have a line on all of them which very clearly says

"visa class" next to which immigration has written or stamped "non re". This I would say makes this a

30/15 day visa in anyones book, otherwise why mention a visa class on a visa exempt stamp????

I think the exempt means exempt from the necessity to obtain a visa on entry but not exempt from actually

Maybe in your book, but it simply is not a visa, but a visa exempt or visa free entry.

Visa on entry does not exist BTW, it is visa on arrival.

It really is not a good idea to confuse these things, since correct wording is very important here.

Why don't you just try to upgrade to retirement using your current arrival stamp. They most likely won't know/appreciate the difference and just process your retirement in order to save face. biggrin.png

Can't at the moment.

Next week I'll be remitting the 800K. Once it's in the bank for three month, I'll then get the retirement visa + the bit of paper that allows you to leave and return from Thailand without using up the visa.

Pretty much knew I was right, but, the large African-American woman just wouldn't listen, insisting she was right. I think all the volunteers must think this, too, because the info slip refers to a 30/15 VOA.

Just wondering...how does a large African-American woman figure into all of this?

She's the woman I talked to who (after posting this thread) turned out to be wrong and would not listen to what I had to say on the subject.

Why don't you just try to upgrade to retirement using your current arrival stamp. They most likely won't know/appreciate the difference and just process your retirement in order to save face. biggrin.png

Can't at the moment.

Next week I'll be remitting the 800K. Once it's in the bank for three month, I'll then get the retirement visa + the bit of paper that allows you to leave and return from Thailand without using up the visa.

Pretty much knew I was right, but, the large African-American woman just wouldn't listen, insisting she was right. I think all the volunteers must think this, too, because the info slip refers to a 30/15 VOA.

Just wondering...how does a large African-American woman figure into all of this?

She's the woman I talked to who (after posting this thread) turned out to be wrong and would not listen to what I had to say on the subject.

She was some sort of volunteer? Sorry, but I've never heard of this and am just trying to get smarter.

The slips of paper that have a list of all the things you need for the visa list 30/15 day VOA.

OK, thanks for that.

Same old story, Thai Immigration officials make up their own rules a lot of the time.

OK, thanks for that.

Same old story, Thai Immigration officials make up their own rules a lot of the time.

No immigration officials involved here.

Same old story, people responding without reading the thread.

Can't at the moment.

She was some sort of volunteer? Sorry, but I've never heard of this and am just trying to get smarter.

Yes, she was one of two volunteers that have their desk located just inside the door.

OK, thanks for that.

No Immigration officials????? Why did the OP go to the Immigration office? To speak to the walls.

OK, thanks for that.

No Immigration officials????? Why did the OP go to the Immigration office? To speak to the walls.

Yes, no immigration officials. Just read the thread.

Maybe in your book, but it simply is not a visa, but a visa exempt or visa free entry.

It really is not a good idea to confuse these things, since correct wording is very important here.

Steven let me unconfuse things and you because your talking utter nonsense.

There are in general basically three groups of people that may obtain visas for entry to Thailand.

Group 1 are nationals of countries that are required to apply for a visa at an overseas Thai embassy or consulate.

Group 2 are nationals of countries, which are exempt from the requirements of group one, and may apply and pay

for a visa on arrival at a booth/office/desk prior to proceeding to immigration. This is a visa ON ARRIVAL.

Group 3 are nationals of countries, which are exempt from the rquirements of groups one and two, and can arrive

and proceed straight to immigration and obtain, free of charge, a visa on entry, maximum 30 or 15 days depending

on point of entry. This is a visa ON ENTRY.

To my knowledge NO ONE, except a Thai passport holder, may enter Thailand without a valid current visa of some

description. I suggest steven that you look at your own passport for the type of visa you have.

The phrase " visa exempt " is a misnomer and is grossly misleading and should never be used in any discussion on

Thai visas.

The only thing you are actually correct about steven is "It really is not a good idea to confuse these things, since

correct wording is very important here ".

There are in general basically three groups of people that may obtain visas for entry to Thailand.

Group 1 are nationals of countries that are required to apply for a visa at an overseas Thai embassy or consulate.

Group 2 are nationals of countries, which are exempt from the requirements of group one, and may apply and pay

for a visa on arrival at a booth/office/desk prior to proceeding to immigration. This is a visa ON ARRIVAL.

Group 3 are nationals of countries, which are exempt from the rquirements of groups one and two, and can arrive

and proceed straight to immigration and obtain, free of charge, a visa on entry, maximum 30 or 15 days depending

To my knowledge NO ONE, except a Thai passport holder, may enter Thailand without a valid current visa of some

description. I suggest steven that you look at your own passport for the type of visa you have.

The phrase " visa exempt " is a misnomer and is grossly misleading and should never be used in any discussion on

Thai visas.

The only thing you are actually correct about steven is "It really is not a good idea to confuse these things, since

Oh dear. Maybe you should look at post #9 from the Immigration's own web-site. It mentions Visa Exemption.

• Like 1

Thai visas.

Maybe read upon things before you start talking about them. There is NO visa on entry, but visa exempt (also called visa free) entry. That is the correct term, and you really have no clue.

There is a visa on arrival, where you actually buy a visa at the border and there is a visa exempt entry, where you do not hold a visa are you are exempt from it.

visa on arrival: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15393-Visa-on-Arrival.html

(tourist) visa exempt entry: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

• Like 2

There is a visa on arrival, where you actually buy a visa at the border and there is a visa exempt entry, where you do not hold a visa are you are exempt from it.

visa on arrival: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15393-Visa-on-Arrival.html

(tourist) visa exempt entry: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

I recently had a look at one of these visa on arrival in a passport of a person who's nationality didn't qualify for the 30 day visa exemption stamp.

They had to pay 1000 baht at the airport. They did not have to show a bank statement with funds but did have to show their return air ticket. They filled out the TM card and the A4 paper application, like in the Embassies.

They only get 15 days.

It's not a sticker in your passport like the ones from the Thai Embassies. It's just a large stamp. Larger than the visa exemption stamp. I expected a visa sticker but it's just a stamp.

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

Thai visas.

Maybe read upon things before you start talking about them. There is NO visa on entry, but visa exempt (also called visa free) entry. That is the correct term, and you really have no clue.

And I have in my passport a free visa which I obtained on entry to Thailand, no one is exempt from the

requirement to have a visa to enter Thailand. You can dance around all you like there is no such thing as a

visa free entry to Thailand rather it is a free visa obtainable on entry otherwise why would anyone eligible

for your so called visa exempt require a stamp of any kind in their passport or any limit on duration of stay??

Why don't you post a copy of your visa or your " visa free entry " stamp in your passport on here steven???

Edited by phuketjock

Thai visas.

And I have in my passport a free visa which I obtained on entry to Thailand, no one is exempt from the

requirement to have visa to enter Thailand. You can dance around all you like there is no such thing as a

visa free entry to Thailand rather it is a free visa obtainable on entry otherwise why would anyone eligible

for your so called visa exempt require a stamp of any kind in their passport or any limit on duration of stay??

If you entered visa exempt you have a visa exempt stamp in your passport. This means you entered visa free, so without visa. Exempt is an English word, meaning 'free from an obligation', 'not subject to', etc. See also the links that Mario gave.

The duration of stay is simply a limitation set upon the visa exempt entry, just as visa on arrival and tourist visa have limitations.

From one of Mario's MFA links:

"According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004), 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), and 23 June 2554 (2011), passport holders from 48 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit."

"Not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand"

Do you understand what that means?

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Thai visas.

requirement to have visa to enter Thailand. You can dance around all you like there is no such thing as a

If you entered visa exempt you have a visa exempt stamp in your passport. This means you entered visa free, so without visa. Exempt is an English word, meaning 'free from an obligation', 'not subject to', etc. See also the links that Mario gave.

The duration of stay is simply a limitation set upon the visa exempt entry, just as visa on arrival and tourist visa have limitations.

"According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004), 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), and 23 June 2554 (2011), passport holders from 48 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit."

Copy of your entry stamp steven ????

Or show me visa exempt stamp please??

Edited by phuketjock

Copy of your entry stamp steven ????

Don't see what a copy of my entry stamp on non-immigrant B visa from many years ago together with quite a few extensions of stay would add to the already given information: exempt means not required, visa exempt means visa free, MFA website clearly states what visa on arrival and visa exempt mean and how to obtain.

How anyone can be so obnoxious with the proof given here many times really is beyond me.

Edited by stevenl

Just ask an educated thai person to read that page of the immigrations website and see how they translate it. A *lot* is lost in translation wink.png

Why would anybody do that when there are good websites with the correct information in English available from the MFA, see links given on the previous page?

Well -- since you appear to not have done what I suggested, I can only report that on asking 3 well-educated fluent english-speaking thais to translate it they all came up with different versions. The thai immigration (and many other) laws do not translate into english clearly, and the Thai version is the important one. ;)

To apply for a 12 month extension for retirement (it is not a Visa)

You need the money in the bank for 60 days for the first application and three months from then on.

From a Visa Exempt Entry you need to convert to a Non Imm O Visa first before applying for the Extension.

They might send you to Bangkok to do this as most offices will not do it.

I tried to convert from Non Immigrant B which was expiring in few days as I was leaving the job.

Chang Wattana Immigration told me it was impossible to convert from that status to Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage - EVEN IF I had all the appropriate documents. She told me I had to go out of the country and get a new visa.

So I went to Laos to get a Non Immigrant O based on marriage. Returned a month later... saw the kind woman again and she was creative enough to ask me for a document I did not see on the list. It was "Proof of Eligibility for Marriage" which states I was either divorced or never married. I went to the Ampur to get it and they just stared at me and said - you got married 3 years ago and that document is in a file somewhere.... it could take weeks. Please dont ask us to go look for it. I smiled and said... well... could you give me a letter from them saying they have it but cant find it. That document was enough for my friend at Chang Wattana.

Most of the time, my experiences with Thai bureaucracy are pleasant enough. But sometimes, it just gets bizzare.

Stop making a fool of yourself phuketjock.

Here is some more proof from a Thai immigration website listing the 43 nationalities that can enter Thailand WITHOUT a visa.

The first Thai word is essential (see translation here under).

That they decided not to create a separate stamp to indicate how long you may stay WITHOUT a visa but instead just use the same one for all visa types AND for the visa exempt visitors is a fact but not important.

attachicon.gifVisa exempt.PNG

attachicon.gifTranslate.PNG

As far as making a fool of myself, as they say in Thailand " up to me "

The info that " they " decided to use the same stamp for all came from where or did you just invent it???

If this is true how does anyone know if they have a visa exempt stamp or a valid visa stamp??

Here is a copy of one of my passpost pages now are these stamps visas or visa exempt stamps?

post-145612-0-55719900-1373957936_thumb.

I obtained them free of charge on entering Thailand.

Here is some more proof from a Thai immigration website listing the 43 nationalities that can enter Thailand WITHOUT a visa.

That they decided not to create a separate stamp to indicate how long you may stay WITHOUT a visa but instead just use the same one for all visa types AND for the visa exempt visitors is a fact but not important.

The info that " they " decided to use the same stamp for all came from where or did you just invent it???

If this is true how does anyone know if they have a visa exempt stamp or a valid visa stamp??

Here is a copy of one of my passpost pages now are these stamps visas or visa exempt stamps?

attachicon.gif2556-07-16 13-20-04_0002.jpg

Re-entry permit on extension of stay. Nothing to do with visa exempt or visa on arrival.

Re-entry permit on extension of stay. Nothing to do with visa exempt or visa on arrival.

Dear oh dear steven the re-entry permit just happens to be on the same page that is not an entry stamp

old chap. Your lack of knowledge is in danger of falling out. giggle.gif

That they (= Thai Immigration) use the same stamp is based on personal experience as I visited Thailand numerous times both with and WITHOUT visa.

A person might remember whether he applied for a visa at a Thai consulate or embassy prior to his visit, or that he did not as he qualifies for a stay WITHOUT a visa. From the stamp alone you cannot tell.

The stamps in your passport are visa stamps nor visa exempt stamps. They only indicate how long you can stay in Thailand.

A visa is a sticker.

Looking at your stamps you seem to be (or were) on a non-immigrant B visa and also obtained a re-entry permit stamp so you were able to leave Thailand without your visa becoming void.

• Like 1

Dear oh dear steven the re-entry permit just happens to be on the same page that is not an entry stamp

old chap. Your lack of knowledge is in danger of falling out. giggle.gif

Sigh