"Pattaya" is bad for the reputation

Gone

When I moved to live here 8 years ago, I asked the agent from whom I was renting what my correct postal address was. He gave me xxxx Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150, Thailand as well so no mention of Pattaya.

When asked where I come from, I always say Jomtien which caused some amusement in Chiang Mai earlier this week!

Alan

Pattaya isn't an address. Your written Address, as you would use at Immigration fro 90 day etc should be something like:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Edit: I use Pattaya when talking. If anybody (I talk to) has a fixation with that and implies any impropriety with living here, I give them an educated gobfull and get them on the back foot so fast that they fall over themselves apologising. As to the Pattaya bashers on TV......don't really care what they think, Tossers are allowed opinions too. coffee1.gif

Most of us are well aware that Pattaya does not (or doesn't have to) appear in most addresses, but that's not to say that if you use Pattaya instead of Nongprue & Banglamung it will not arrive.

If you substituted the following for the above address, you'd still receive your mail. (I don't think there'd be too many mail employees in Thailand who don't know where Pattaya is):

123/45 Moo 10, Soi (or road)

Pattaya 20150

Thailand.

Most hotels in Pattaya use Pattaya in their address so as not to confuse their customers who don't have a clue where Nongprue or Banglamung is.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you substituted the following for the above address, you'd still receive your mail. (I don't think there'd be too many mail employees in Thailand who don't know where Pattaya is):

Pattaya 20150

Thailand.

Most hotels in Pattaya use Pattaya in their address so as not to confuse their customers who don't have a clue where Nongprue or Banglamung is.

Pretty wild and sweeping generalization!

I guess you're one of those that like to disiminate mis-information.

Remember Pattaya is a self-governing municipal area which covers the whole tambon Nong Prue and Nakluea and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai.

Mail may not get to you if you're in Nakluea, Nong Pla Lai, or Huai Yai. If it does, it may take some additional time while the Tambon is worked out. Remember the Moo(Mooban) is a division within a Tambon.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Put Chonburi on your profile/CV

There's plenty of legitimate business like factories around

Problems Solved.

Not sure that will solve it.

About 10 years ago I lived a few months in Pattaya. When I talked on the phone with a Thai lady

and told her I lived in Chonburi, she immediately asked, "What are you doing in Pattaya?"

Shortly after that I left Pattaya, and have never lived there again. Problem solved.

Put Chonburi on your profile/CV

There's plenty of legitimate business like factories around

Problems Solved.

Not sure that will solve it.

About 10 years ago I lived a few months in Pattaya. When I talked on the phone with a Thai lady

and told her I lived in Chonburi, she immediately asked, "What are you doing in Pattaya?"

Shortly after that I left Pattaya, and have never lived there again. Problem solved.

Maybe that lady was very familiar with Pattaya coffee1.gif

Pattaya 20150

Thailand.

Remember Pattaya is a self-governing municipal area which covers the whole tambon Nong Prue and Nakluea and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai.

Mail may not get to you if you're in Nakluea, Nong Pla Lai, or Huai Yai. If it does, it may take some additional time while the Tambon is worked out. Remember the Moo(Mooban) is a division within a Tambon.

(The resident professor on all thing postal comes in firing on all cylinders. Give it a break sir. There's no need for flame.)

Mail addressed as stated above will make it just fine.

Obviously the Soi and/or Road should be named.

For example, I live on Pratumnak Road in Pattaya.

My address could be:

123/43 Moo 12, Soi xxxxx

Pratumnak Road,

Pattaya 20260

Any letter addressed as such would arrive in the same time, no problems. The 20260 (or 20150) gets it to destination post office and all staff at 20260 (or 20150) know where Pattaya is and there's only one Pratumnak Road here. Nongprue and Banglamung are absolutely not necessary.

In all your brilliance you forgot what the purpose of postal codes is. i.e to offer a quick reference to the destination post office.

Regarding addresses offered by Pattaya Hotels. Most don't bother with the Banglamung or Nongprue.

Here's some good examples from major hotels:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pyxmc-pattaya-marriott-resort-and-spa/

http://www.sheratonpattayaresort.com/?PS=LGEN_AA_DAPI_CGGL_TDST

The Hilton does include Nongprue and Banglamung, in addition to Pattaya, but the majority of hotels don't.

Edited by tropo

I said it before and will say it again: There are some "ladies" that want to give the impression that they would never go to Pattaya, have never worked in a bar or, thought of working in a bar. Then there are other "ladies" that try to turn the farang some kind of low life, by asking "what do you do in Pattaya". In fact, these "ladies" know exactly what the farang is doing in Pattaya, since they probably worked their themselves, or vacationed there, to pick up a bit of extra cash.

• Like 1

Pattaya 20150

Thailand.

(The resident professor on all thing postal comes in firing on all cylinders. Give it a break sir. There's no need for flame.)

Mail addressed as stated above will make it just fine.

Obviously the Soi and/or Road should be named.

For example, I live on Pratumnak Road in Pattaya.

My address could be:

123/43 Moo 12, Soi xxxxx

Pratumnak Road,

Pattaya 20260

Any letter addressed as such would arrive in the same time, no problems. The 20260 (or 20150) gets it to destination post office and all staff at 20260 (or 20150) know where Pattaya is and there's only one Pratumnak Road here. Nongprue and Banglamung are absolutely not necessary.

In all your brilliance you forgot what the purpose of postal codes is. i.e to offer a quick reference to the destination post office.

Regarding addresses offered by Pattaya Hotels. Most don't bother with the Banglamung or Nongprue.

Here's some good examples from major hotels:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pyxmc-pattaya-marriott-resort-and-spa/

http://www.sheratonpattayaresort.com/?PS=LGEN_AA_DAPI_CGGL_TDST

The Hilton does include Nongprue and Banglamung, in addition to Pattaya, but the majority of hotels don't.

I'm not flaming, however you seem to be flaming as usual. You also seem to be quite ignorant in that many areas of Pattaya; roads and sois do not have names or numbers, and that both Nonprue and Huai Yai both have 12 Moobans.

For example, I live in Huai Yai (a part of Pattaya). If I were to follow you eample my address would be:

123/45 Moo 12

Pattaya, 20150.

Now what in this example would get the mail directed to Huai Yai rather than Jomtien? Yes both use use same post office. Both are very large Moobans. In Huai Yai, there are very few names for the roads or sois, so one can't be provided. The house numbers don't have any locational relevance at all, for example a house that is just one number from mine is about 3 Km away. We often get each other's mail because the postal carrier can't find the them, even when a proper address is used. Especially when there is a change in letter carriers! You example would make it impossible!

Consider yourself lucky that you live on Pratamnak Hill and mail would probably get to you. The references you provided are major landmarks! Of course they can get away with a vague postal address. Everyone who's been here a while knows of them. Your generization could only work for well known locations.

I'm just pointing out that it's people like you, passing out mis-leading information that only leads to more confusion!

Now give it a break yourself, Sir!

I'm done with your flames and ignorance.

I think the easiest way to tell if your tambon belongs in Pattaya is does the residents gets to vote for the mayor, if not, the area is not part of Pattaya

So for Nong prue, only Moo 5,6 9-13 apply

Huay Yai, only Moo 4

Nong Plalai, Moo 6-8

Naklua 1-7 (Whole of naklua and Koh Larn Island)

Pattaya has no bearing on postal address anyway, you can choose to put it on in addition of the Tambon and Amphur if you choose, but omitting the word Pattaya will get your mail delivered anyway

Omitting the Moo, Tambon and Amphur however, means you are at the mercy of the mailman

• Like 1

Consider yourself lucky that you live on Pratamnak Hill and mail would probably get to you. The references you provided are major landmarks! Of course they can get away with a vague postal address. Everyone who's been here a while knows of them. Your generization could only work for well known locations.

Yes, bingo!!! My generization was intended for people who live in Central Pattaya and live in named Sois and/or Roads. Not for people who live in the bush without Road names. I thought that would have been obvious.

Obviously if you don't have a Soi or Road name to add you may have to include additional information.

It's not a matter of "probably" a letter would get to me without Nongprue or Banglamung, it's a certainty.

Years (and years) ago, farangs that chose to hang their hats in Pattaya always ADDED Pattaya to their mailing addresses. They couldn't understand how a letter (remember those?) could ever find it's way to their house somewhere in the sprawl that is Nongprue with just the strange local combinations of numbers plus the esoteric ม

Wind forward 20 or 30 years and the nouveau Pattaya-area farang will frantically perjure himself simply to AVOID having Pattaya mentioned in the same breath as his name.

I think the easiest way to tell if your tambon belongs in Pattaya is does the residents gets to vote for the mayor, if not, the area is not part of Pattaya

So for Nong prue, only Moo 5,6 9-13 apply

Huay Yai, only Moo 4

Nong Plalai, Moo 6-8

Naklua 1-7 (Whole of naklua and Koh Larn Island)

Pattaya has no bearing on postal address anyway, you can choose to put it on in addition of the Tambon and Amphur if you choose, but omitting the word Pattaya will get your mail delivered anyway

Omitting the Moo, Tambon and Amphur however, means you are at the mercy of the mailman

Sorry, but I live in Nong Plalai Moo 4, near the regents school.

I really can't figure out how a postman can find the addresses, but I think the most important in the address is the postcode-Moo and the housenumber.

There are many Banglamungs and Nongprues in Thailand.

Dam_n, I didn't mean to start a war !!! wai2.gif

Never mind, with the advent of the internet, email and GPS, beyond the water and light company, who really needs the address anyway?

I beg to differ...unless you're living in the dark ages our physical addresses are more important now than they ever used to be. Online shopping by credit card is a booming industry (eBay, Amazon and thousands of online stores). Even online grocery shopping, takeaway and restaurant shopping. We need to be found. It's no big deal to lose a letter, but not an expensive item we bought online.

I buy computers, exercise equipment, jewelry, mobile phones, sports and health supplements and a host of other things online. It's almost at the stage now (not quite there in Thailand yet, but getting there in other countries) where you can stay in the house and never go out.

I think the remarks you mentioned are true to a certain extent. I can't think that anyone would live in Pattaya except old ugly men who could never find a decent looking girl in their own country. You can see them every where in Pattaya

So true, as all the handsome men are in Udon Thani.....

Those handsome men met their partner in Pattaya and later moved.

I think the remarks you mentioned are true to a certain extent. I can't think that anyone would live in Pattaya except old ugly men who could never find a decent looking girl in their own country. You can see them every where in Pattaya

.... to a place where they are less handsome. Must be hard on the ego.

.... to a place where they are less handsome. Must be hard on the ego.

What does it matter if you live in Pattaya, Bangkok or Ubon nowhere? There will be similar thoughts about Thailand in general. Just explain you are one of the newest wave of tourists coming through with an elite card and this should satisfy all curiosity.

I would use Sunee plaza instead of Pattaya as my address. At least if somebody does know where this is then you have a brother in arms potentially.

What does it matter if you live in Pattaya, Bangkok or Ubon nowhere? There will be similar thoughts about Thailand in general. Just explain you are one of the newest wave of tourists coming through with an elite card and this should satisfy all curiosity.

I would use Sunee plaza instead of Pattaya as my address. At least if somebody does know where this is then you have a brother in arms potentially.

Yep, there's a certain stigma attached to living in Thailand in general.... especially if you're getting on a bit.

Well I couldn't imagine why that is?

Old guy - young girl... you're never going to solve the disturbance that causes in other people's minds.

That's one of the good things about living in Thailand - it doesn't raise any eyebrows.

Let's face it,most of them are jealous and would be here themselves if they could rid of their ropey old western wife

Yup, that's it. Everyone is just jealous they can't live among Russians in a brothel with filthy beaches, polluted sea water and never ending tour bus / baht bus traffic.

• Like 2

Let's face it,most of them are jealous and would be here themselves if they could rid of their ropey old western wife

Yup, that's it. Everyone is just jealous they can't live among Russians in a brothel with filthy beaches, polluted sea water and never ending tour bus / baht bus traffic.

I reckon many people who live in Nakonsonowhere are jealous. You sound like one of them.

• Like 1

As it was mentioned, perhaps handsome Udon Men have been to Pattaya, but turned down many offers. Landed here in Udon single, best move I ever made. Met my gal in Big C, ....very fine lady, who has worked as a Manager in a major outlet earning 30 grand a month. Owns two properties and a resort in Mae Hong Son. Does not drink, gamble or smoke, and has never even been to Pattaya. Yes...she does find me handome. ... So much for your attempt at lowering her character.. Not that I am Holier than Thou, as my first wife and several other girlfriends worked in bars.... This is my first attempt at self reform. I do miss the excitement that a bar girl brings, but I do not miss the prospects of losing another fortune....smile.png

Everyone has their Kryptonite....

I reckon many people who live in Nakonsonowhere are jealous. You sound like one of them.

I'm not sure which is more hilarious, the fact that some of you guys actually think people are jealous of those who live in Pattaya, or the fact that some of you who live there are so touchy about what others think about Pattaya.

I'm not sure which is more hilarious, the fact that some of you guys actually think people are jealous of those who live in Pattaya, or the fact that some of you who live there are so touchy about what others think about Pattaya.

I don't really mind if you're envious or not, but I know many people living boring lives in Nakonsanowhere are... and you come across as one of them.

You couldn't pay me enough to live full time in a rural farming community. I know this full well, because my wife is Filipino and I spend a 2- 4 weeks every year living in a farming town in the Philippines (population 50,000) and know exactly how it feels.

If I was living full time where you are I'd be envious too. Each to their own.

• Like 1

+ 1 Right on!

I don't really mind if you're envious or not, but I know many people living boring lives in Nakonsanowhere are... and you come across as one of them.

You couldn't pay me enough to live full time in a rural farming community. I know this full well, because my wife is Filipino and I spend a 2- 4 weeks every year living in a farming town in the Philippines (population 50,000) and know exactly how it feels.

If I was living full time where you are I'd be envious too. Each to their own.

The ignorance is unbelievable !!! Perhaps you have not been to Isaan? Yes there are rural communities, but you can also live inside, or near, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, and several other Urban Centers. Its not even what people think it is. The only thing that we do not have are gogo bars, a filthy beach, tons of tourists/pollution. Yes, thats right, Malls, Restaurants, Pubs and Cafes (albeit less), Gyms, Swimming Pools, Mountains (Loei) and Laos. The people up here are just friendlier... Sure, Pattaya has action...and its good for the adult male to get his foot wet, but its not at all as comfortable as up here.

• Like 1