money from UK

pokoal2000

Got any friends? Friend of mine has his UK pension paid into my UK account and I give it to him in Baht weekly. My bank doesn't charge for Swift transfers in any case. Otherwise for that amount you might just as well use an ATM.

Got any friends? Friend of mine has his UK pension paid into my UK account and I give it to him in Baht weekly. My bank doesn't charge for Swift transfers in any case. Otherwise for that amount you might just as well use an ATM.

What bank you with that doesn't charge for swift transfers?

+1?

Most economical is to transfer from UK bank to Thai banking it's regular as places like Western Union, Moneygram charge a fee and give you a shocking exchange rate to the point where u can easily lose 15% of your money.

Try Halifax and have send via online I'm sure i saw a deal where it was 7.50 per transaction and at least u will get bank exchange rates.

Most economical is to transfer from UK bank to Thai banking it's regular as places like Western Union, Moneygram charge a fee and give you a shocking exchange rate to the point where u can easily lose 15% of your money.

Try Halifax and have send via online I'm sure i saw a deal where it was 7.50 per transaction and at least u will get bank exchange rates.

If you transfer in Thai baht you will only get the lousy UK exchange rate.

If you transfer the money in GBP you will get the much better Thai exchange rate.

I found Western Union cheaper and better exchange rate than the high street banks when I was in Dubai. The only trouble was it took two or three days to get the money out the ATM to take the cash to Western Union. Actually, to be fair, it was not Western Union - it was the Western Union agent, but for the transfers I was making, they did not use Western Union - some other remittance agent, into the Thai bank account.

More recently, I found Western Union less than 1% different exchange rate than the money changers, who were extremely competitive.

SC

+1?

Lloyds TSB Offshore

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I also found Western Union really cheap and a great rate.

I have had over 30 transfers done, and you can have it paid into any WU pay point in the UK of which there are thousands, and there are equally as many here in Thailand. Every Bangkok bank, BigC, Post offices.

I did one last week, paid into Sainsbury's in the UK and got 100,000 baht cash out here 15 minutes later.

Edited by klubex99

+1?
Lloyds TSB Offshore

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

So its not a UK based bank.

How do they make their money on transfers then?

If no swift fee they must charge you another way.

• Like 1

I guess you're right, Isle of Man is a British Crown Dependency. But whatever, they do not charge anything for international SWIFT transfers, although they used to up until about a year ago. They also don't charge any other account fees. I suppose they make money on interest, as I don't get any.

I guess you're right, Isle of Man is a British Crown Dependency. But whatever, they do not charge anything for international SWIFT transfers, although they used to up until about a year ago. They also don't charge any other account fees. I suppose they make money on interest, as I don't get any.

• 2 weeks later...

If its just for £700 go to an exchange kiosk and ask to withdraw 20,000 baht with your Visa Debit card. When they give you your 20,000 ask for another 15,000. If they say no just go to another exchange kiosk and ask for 15,000. Done it many times before. You will need your passport.

GBP 9.50.

I also get a Reward bonus of GBP 5.00 per month, so net cost very good.

Send on a Wednesday, in mu kasikorn account on Friday.

Send in Sterling rather than the online preset value of Baht.