Where to rent a condo in Bangkok 4K-6K

mjef

^^^^^

I also visited On Nut and Phra Kanong. It's obviously too trendy and pricy

No offence mate, but I think this is the first time and only time i will ever hear of both these places being referred to as too trendy and pricey, lets cut to the chase, they are both dumps, popular with the sex pats and their upcountry teeraks.

Lat Phrao 48 Not only it is very far from the BTS,

Jeez, how close do you want, its less than a kilo.

but also the area is not lively at all!

Please define, lively, there are farang who go all the way to the lower Suk ghetto, when everything they seek is right on their doorstep, you like them, dont know what you are looking at, not lively, you are havin a laugh.

My advice to you, stay where you are.

Actually you're right about On Nut and Phra Kanong. What I meant was that there were several trendy apartments built in the middle of many torn apart houses, targeting rich farangs (including sexpats).

Family Park Condo was in Lad Phrao 48 yeak 1-4. I'm sure it was more than 1 km and it's not walkable anyway. But most importantly I hardly could see 5 people at the same time in the sois I passed by 11 o'clock in the morning! So that's definitely not lively. And by lively I don't mean 7 eleven, tesco lotus, family mart, or fast food/pizza shops! I mean people coming and going (Thais actually, not drunk sexpats willing to do anything they can't do in their home countries), food stalls, etc. If I live near the Sutthisan MRT, I can find something to eat without going to a restaurant or something when I get hungry anytime through the day. And these places are usually safer too. You will not find yourself alone walking down your soi at 10 o'clock at night!

My problem with the area around Victory Monument is that it's full of cars! And also many farangs of all types! I didn't find the area appealing or safe or even clean.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^

No offence mate, but I think this is the first time and only time i will ever hear of both these places being referred to as too trendy and pricey, lets cut to the chase, they are both dumps, popular with the sex pats and their upcountry teeraks.

Please define, lively, there are farang who go all the way to the lower Suk ghetto, when everything they seek is right on their doorstep, you like them, dont know what you are looking at, not lively, you are havin a laugh.

Actually you're right about On Nut and Phra Kanong. What I meant was that there were several trendy apartments built in the middle of many torn apart houses, targeting rich farangs (including sexpats).

Family Park Condo was in Lad Phrao 48 yeak 1-4. I'm sure it was more than 1 km and it's not walkable anyway. But most importantly I hardly could see 5 people at the same time in the sois I passed by 11 o'clock in the morning! So that's definitely not lively. And by lively I don't mean 7 eleven, tesco lotus, family mart, or fast food/pizza shops! I mean people coming and going (Thais actually, not drunk sexpats willing to do anything they can't do in their home countries), food stalls, etc. If I live near the Sutthisan MRT, I can find something to eat without going to a restaurant or something when I get hungry anytime through the day. And these places are usually safer too. You will not find yourself alone walking down your soi at 10 o'clock at night!

My problem with the area around Victory Monument is that it's full of cars! And also many farangs of all types! I didn't find the area appealing or safe or even clean.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion.

Lad Phrao 48 yeak 1-4. I'm sure it was more than 1 km and it's not walkable anyway.

Ok lets not split hairs, bai rot fai fa tai din Lat Prao dai mai,

chai krap,

tao rai,

yi sip baht por dee.

I passed by 11 o'clock in the morning!

Of course it was empty, all the people were at work, try the same area at 8 o'clock in the evening.

I mentioned to you before on another thread, try Ramkhamhaeng.

I think it's clear that the OP had unrealistic, Western, expectations about what they could get on their budget.

Look if you want the best of everything you will have to pay for it and you weren't willing to so don't moan.

I searched for a nice condo/apartment that I can sit in and work/study 15 hours a day for less than 10k per month

Depends on what you define as 'nice' but there's plenty of apartments for under 10k (this is cheap in BKK for Western style apartments) that have ample space, a desk, WiFi and are suitable for work and study. Seems like you expected too much.

I visited Victory Monument area and it feels more like busy rather than lively!

So you expected the 'center' of Bangkok to be quiet?

There is literally everything you could ever need at Vic Monument. The skytrain is there. The airport link is there. There's street food. Good bars. Good restaurants. Close to other main areas.

I walked down many sois and asked about every apartment/condo. There are few places priced at less than Bt10000/month

Try walking down the right soi's next time.

Some of them are very old buildings which are not liveable considering my expectations and conditions.

You expect modern for 4-6k a month in the centre of BKK? UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS!

I also visited Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower. It's awful for a person who is at home most of the time! A drab 30 sqm room for Bt8000/month and 7 THB/month for electricity! It's not even walkable close to the BTS station.

Ratchaprop Tower has rooms ranging from 20sqm to 67sqm but seeing as you came in on a peasants budget they didn't show you the nice rooms and just what you can afford and tbh should be grateful for as a lot of other apartments in the area will give you a SMALLER room for near double the price.

The rooms are not luxurious but for the price they are more spacious and with more mod cons than many in the area.

If you can't walk from the BTS to Ratchaprop tower you are very lazy. It's less than 10 minutes walk.

I also visited On Nut and Phra Kanong. It's obviously too trendy and pricy for my budget and too touristy for my taste. I didn't find the place lively enough; only few food/fruit stalls and everything was 2x overpriced. I found a few cheap places though (4k-6k). They were really dodgy!

Phra Kanong whilst having some nicer areas far along the soi isn't trendy and On Nut is where farangs looking for cheap and almost Westernized apartments go to so not sure what you're on about tbh. Not touristy places at all. No tourist attractions or anything around these areas.

Then a short visit to Lad Phrao. There are some buildings named Family Park in Lat Phrao 48. The good thing about this condo is that there are several condo types at different prices in the same building. It has a swimming pool and all the facilities that you might need like a microwave oven in the room, coin washing machines and laundry.

As does most apartments in BKK including Ratchaprarop Tower which you claimed wasn't good enough. Also comes with free Wifi.

Right now I'm staying at a hotel near Sutthisan MRT and I came across a newly built building on my way to hotel.

Where? Never heard of it. rolleyes.gif

Took a look at the condo and I can really call it home! It's small (30 sqm) and not cheap (10K)

30sqm is actually considered spacious in BKK for an apartment but 10k for some place in the middle of nowhere is NOT a good deal. You can get better at Victory Monument and MUCH better at On Nut.

You got ripped off.

It has a flat screen TV, free wifi, 24-hour security and key card

Even my friends 5k apartment in On Nut has this.

Pretty alive, not touristy (everything is written in Thai only!), clean and looking safe, not very busy and quiet late at night

Brilliant so little chance of you being understood. Not many people around so more chance of being robbed and definitely a a higher chance of you being seen as a target considering there's no other farang around. Enjoy!

You have seriously embarrassed yourself with this post. I don't imagine you'll get much more help now.

I think it's clear that the OP had unrealistic, Western, expectations about what they could get on their budget. Look if you want the best of everything you will have to pay for it and you weren't willing to so don't moan.
I searched for a nice condo/apartment that I can sit in and work/study 15 hours a day for less than 10k per month
Depends on what you define as 'nice' but there's plenty of apartments for under 10k (this is cheap in BKK for Western style apartments) that have ample space, a desk, WiFi and are suitable for work and study. Seems like you expected too much.
I visited Victory Monument area and it feels more like busy rather than lively!
So you expected the 'center' of Bangkok to be quiet? There is literally everything you could ever need at Vic Monument. The skytrain is there. The airport link is there. There's street food. Good bars. Good restaurants. Close to other main areas.
I walked down many sois and asked about every apartment/condo. There are few places priced at less than Bt10000/month
Try walking down the right soi's next time.
Some of them are very old buildings which are not liveable considering my expectations and conditions.
You expect modern for 4-6k a month in the centre of BKK? UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS!
First of all I don't come from the west. I come from a third world country. But since I'm going to spend most of my time inside the room here (I'm a programmer!), it's very important for me to have a good impression and be comfortable inside the place. Having too much cars in the area means NOISE so I don't want it. Having bars in the area means NOISE so I should avoid it. With quiet I don't mean isolated! I just don't like terrible noises like traffic noise or something.As I said there were plenty condos in the Vic Monument area. I visited something like at least 50 of them that looked nicer than others in different sois. Places that offer good prices are fully occupied. There are many places that offer under 8k rooms and condos. But when you ask the electricity rate they say 7/8/9 bahts/unit. This doubles the electricity bill so they are not actually offering a cheaper condo. It's funny the Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower didn't even offer free wifi on a 6-months contract. An old building with not so clean 30-sqm rooms that are not even repainted and old furniture and 7-baht/unit electricity for 8k/month??? Of course I have seen much better rooms at this price.I'm not here to challenge anyone or offend or embarrass anyone or even Thailand. I love Thailand and that's why I came here in the first place. Every one has different needs and budget. I'm just trying to get the best for my needs out of my budget (which is now increased to 10k as I said). Of course I might have looked into the wrong sois. That's exactly why I'm asking for help. If you know any places or sois that might be interesting to me please mention it. Btw I also have a Thai friend who talks for me and I trust him. He doesn't live in BKK though. Edited by mjef

I also visited Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower. It's awful for a person who is at home most of the time! A drab 30 sqm room for Bt8000/month and 7 THB/month for electricity! It's not even walkable close to the BTS station.

Ratchaprop Tower has rooms ranging from 20sqm to 67sqm but seeing as you came in on a peasants budget they didn't show you the nice rooms and just what you can afford and tbh should be grateful for as a lot of other apartments in the area will give you a SMALLER room for near double the price.

The rooms are not luxurious but for the price they are more spacious and with more mod cons than many in the area.

If you can't walk from the BTS to Ratchaprop tower you are very lazy. It's less than 10 minutes walk.

I also visited On Nut and Phra Kanong. It's obviously too trendy and pricy for my budget and too touristy for my taste. I didn't find the place lively enough; only few food/fruit stalls and everything was 2x overpriced. I found a few cheap places though (4k-6k). They were really dodgy!

Phra Kanong whilst having some nicer areas far along the soi isn't trendy and On Nut is where farangs looking for cheap and almost Westernized apartments go to so not sure what you're on about tbh. Not touristy places at all. No tourist attractions or anything around these areas.

Then a short visit to Lad Phrao. There are some buildings named Family Park in Lat Phrao 48. The good thing about this condo is that there are several condo types at different prices in the same building. It has a swimming pool and all the facilities that you might need like a microwave oven in the room, coin washing machines and laundry.

As does most apartments in BKK including Ratchaprarop Tower which you claimed wasn't good enough. Also comes with free Wifi.

Right now I'm staying at a hotel near Sutthisan MRT and I came across a newly built building on my way to hotel.

Where? Never heard of it. rolleyes.gif

Maybe the Vic Monument area is not for me! As you said I can get better condos for lower prices getting out of the city center. I know that Ratchaprarop Tower has a range of condos with different sizes. They even gave me a single page catalog for that matter! You're right that there are many sub-30-sqm apartments and condos in BKK. Some people call them shoeboxes. IMO 30-sqm is the right size for a single person with occasional guests staying a few days. So that's what I'm looking for. But the thing about the rooms at RT is that they're in a serious need of repair! Not only the rooms but the furniture too. Maybe free wifi on a 6-month contract?! (they offer it only on 1-year contracts) And the government rate for the electricity bill?! Then it will be well worth the price.

About On Nut and Phra Kanong, sorry I used the wrong word. I should have said westernized targeting farangs instead of touristy.

About Lad Phrao, you mentioned that most of the apartments in BKK has these facilities. I don't agree. I couldn't find another condo having all these facilities and furniture at the same time and at this price: a microwave, an electric stove, an LCD TV, a swimming pool, laundry, coin washing machine at 7500 THB/mo and the government electricity rate. But I didn't feel really good in Lad Phrao area. It was too calm and quiet, might be even dangerous when it gets dark. Didn't see that much food stalls like the rest of the city too.

Now about Sutthisan, it's actually in the Huay Kwang area I believe. The good thing about it is that it's full of company offices. I saw many dressed up employees on the streets looking for lunch the other day. The good thing about this area is that it looks like that a lot of educated employed Thais live here. So the quality of life seems higher than something like city center. Everything is also very very cheap. Last night I bought some mangosteen on the main road for 30 bahts/kilo! The other day had a big dish of delicious Kao Pad Gung in a Thai restaurant for Bt50. And the higher price of the condo I found is because it's just 2 minutes far from the MRT station! :D I'll look into this area tomorrow and also around Ratchadaphisek and Huay Kwang MRTs. These areas might be the best for me.

Took a look at the condo and I can really call it home! It's small (30 sqm) and not cheap (10K)

30sqm is actually considered spacious in BKK for an apartment but 10k for some place in the middle of nowhere is NOT a good deal. You can get better at Victory Monument and MUCH better at On Nut.

You got ripped off.

It has a flat screen TV, free wifi, 24-hour security and key card

Even my friends 5k apartment in On Nut has this.

Pretty alive, not touristy (everything is written in Thai only!), clean and looking safe, not very busy and quiet late at night

Brilliant so little chance of you being understood. Not many people around so more chance of being robbed and definitely a a higher chance of you being seen as a target considering there's no other farang around. Enjoy!

You have seriously embarrassed yourself with this post. I don't imagine you'll get much more help now.

I said it's not cheap and I haven't signed the contract yet. So I'm not ripped off yet! It's a far from the city center, but it's just 2 minutes away from the MRT station. Maybe that's why it's expensive. And it's a new building. So the furniture, mattress, and the rest inside are very modern and seem new. There are plenty of places that I have to visit before I really decide.

About the being understood part should I say that I'm here to study Thai and already speak/read/write basic Thai. So I can cover my basic needs here. But for the most part I can practice my Thai here better than the city center which everything is bilingual. But thanks for the warning about being robbed.

And by the way I am never embarrassed by asking, and you and no one else can make me feel embarrassed either! So be helpful and mention a couple of sois I should take a look at instead of trying to ridicule me!

^^^^^

Sounds like Phra Khanong has taken a dive.

When i was there, i was among about 4 expats (to my knowledge), then all the big condos got finished and tonnes of westerners started moving into the area.

By the way...how does one spot a sexpat? and what is an "upcountry teerak"? ( i fear myself and the 'good lady' may fit this exact description crying.gif )

cheesy.gif

I just recently moved back to Bangkok. Had two agents and myself looking for apartments. I wanted in the same area that the op is looking to rent. My price range was higher but I looked at places from 10 to 40k and i think i viewed 20 or more over two weeks. What I discovered was that the size changed little but the location and amenities improved with price. I looked at one place that had a really nice room for a asking price of 11k but it took 40 baht by motor bike just to get to the MRT and there were 10 builds sitting on top of each other, pass ! Other low priced places had the worst beds I ever saw. Pools, gyms, lobbies, parking, security, landscaping all improved with price. Also the age group of the other tenants looked like it went up as the price increased. Size stayed almost the same. I ended up 5 minute walk to Ekkamai BTS and bus station , beautiful low rise apartment building, lovely pool surrounded by trees and a nice gym, great security,free tuk tuk service to Sukhumvit, quiet, room with oven, great bed, washer +++ ! All for 15k. Best deal in town as far as I am concerned. I saw places not near as nice going for 25k.

Take your time and shop. Look at places below and above your price range so you have an idea on what is available. You can find great values out there for low prices. Take a walk down some of those smaller streets and look for signs. As others suggested, ask Thai people as you can be sure they will pay the lowest prices. Good luck !

• Like 2

OP you have unrealistic expectations of what a lowly 4-6k should get you. It's the real bottom end of the budget for people looking for Western style apartments. Absolutely no way you'll get a new and modern Western style apartment for 6k. You'll get an older Western style apartment that's slightly shabby maybe but not a new one.

I think it's wise you increase your budget to 10k

OP you have unrealistic expectations of what a lowly 4-6k should get you. It's the real bottom end of the budget for people looking for Western style apartments. Absolutely no way you'll get a new and modern Western style apartment for 6k. You'll get an older Western style apartment that's slightly shabby maybe but not a new one.

I think it's wise you increase your budget to 10k

I think you haven't read my recent posts, just the title!

Practically I have done that already, as I'm searching for condos up to 10k/mo.

Op, have you looked at the RCA area? An acquaintance had a small studio apartment in that area last year, paying about 5k, one year lease. It certainly is a lively place. I think the complex was called I house or something.

Sorry, what is RCA? :D I'm not really familiar with all the abbreviations yet!

Op, have you looked at the RCA area? An acquaintance had a small studio apartment in that area last year, paying about 5k, one year lease. It certainly is a lively place. I think the complex was called I house or something.

Sorry, what is RCA? biggrin.png I'm not really familiar with all the abbreviations yet!

RCA is the popular (mostly Thai) nightclub area. However, i believe many foreigners do go there, but its mostly Thais and not a tourist nightclub place.

I believe it is located round about the Phra Ram 9 MRT station or the Petchaburi MRT station.

Edited by ChrisB87

I just recently moved back to Bangkok. Had two agents and myself looking for apartments. I wanted in the same area that the op is looking to rent. My price range was higher but I looked at places from 10 to 40k and i think i viewed 20 or more over two weeks. What I discovered was that the size changed little but the location and amenities improved with price. I looked at one place that had a really nice room for a asking price of 11k but it took 40 baht by motor bike just to get to the MRT and there were 10 builds sitting on top of each other, pass ! Other low priced places had the worst beds I ever saw. Pools, gyms, lobbies, parking, security, landscaping all improved with price. Also the age group of the other tenants looked like it went up as the price increased. Size stayed almost the same. I ended up 5 minute walk to Ekkamai BTS and bus station , beautiful low rise apartment building, lovely pool surrounded by trees and a nice gym, great security,free tuk tuk service to Sukhumvit, quiet, room with oven, great bed, washer +++ ! All for 15k. Best deal in town as far as I am concerned. I saw places not near as nice going for 25k.

Take your time and shop. Look at places below and above your price range so you have an idea on what is available. You can find great values out there for low prices. Take a walk down some of those smaller streets and look for signs. As others suggested, ask Thai people as you can be sure they will pay the lowest prices. Good luck !

Thanks for sharing the info. I haven't looked at Ekkamai yet. I'll do tomorrow. Could you suggest a couple of sois around you so that I waste less time walking the wrong sois?

Sorry, what is RCA? biggrin.png I'm not really familiar with all the abbreviations yet!

RCA is the popular (mostly Thai) nightclub area. However, i believe many foreigners do go there, but its mostly Thais and not a tourist nightclub place.

I believe it is located round about the Phra Ram 9 MRT station or the Petchaburi MRT station.

Yup, pretty much. It's a couple of kilometers from the Petchaburi MRT and just off of Rama 9. Has a few nightclubs, a few bars,a mix of eating places, mainly Thai clientele and some farangs. The housing complex indeed was called I-House.

Thanks for sharing the info. I haven't looked at Ekkamai yet. I'll do tomorrow. Could you suggest a couple of sois around you so that I waste less time walking the wrong sois?
I live up Sukhumvit soi 65 about 300 meters. As you go up the soi the road makes a left than a 90 degree right. After that right there are all kinds of places to rent. Great quiet area ! A few new building were just completed. walk around and have a look. Good luck !

You might want to try the Suphan Kwai area. It's a little farther out, but the rents should be cheaper and you're still within an hour of Times Square.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live in saphan kwei, I looked at several places when moving here and at all it was 15-20k for a 1 bedroom place with AC. 12-15 for a studio apartment.

Although the payoff is you are right on top of the BTS line, its more like 30 mins to times square :)

I know in ladprao area (a bit north of saphan kwei) apartments are a few thousand cheaper, if you go for a studio apartment that could be an option in a nice area.

I agree with the other poster, its important to think carefully, how much time are you going to spend at home? Are you going to be out every night? Or do you enjoy quiet weekends indoors? If the first, great, go for a cheap option. If you plan to spend a significant amount of time at home, I'd recommend doing everything you can to increase your budget a bit, wherever it is you choose.

Edited by razorramone
  • Like 1

You might want to try the Suphan Kwai area. It's a little farther out, but the rents should be cheaper and you're still within an hour of Times Square.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live in saphan kwei, I looked at several places when moving here and at all it was 15-20k for a 1 bedroom place with AC. 12-15 for a studio apartment.

Although the payoff is you are right on top of the BTS line, its more like 30 mins to times square :)

I know in ladprao area (a bit north of saphan kwei) apartments are a few thousand cheaper, if you go for a studio apartment that could be an option in a nice area.

I agree with the other poster, its important to think carefully, how much time are you going to spend at home? Are you going to be out every night? Or do you enjoy quiet weekends indoors? If the first, great, go for a cheap option. If you plan to spend a significant amount of time at home, I'd recommend doing everything you can to increase your budget a bit, wherever it is you choose.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a look at Saphan Kwai area tomorrow. I will also give Lad Phrao another chance :-).

I'm not much of an outgoing person. But I will be out most of the weekends. So I need a comfortable place with easy access to some of these items: street food, Tesco Lotus, 7-11, restaurants, etc.

I live up Sukhumvit soi 65 about 300 meters. As you go up the soi the road makes a left than a 90 degree right. After that right there are all kinds of places to rent. Great quiet area ! A few new building were just completed. walk around and have a look. Good luck !

Well I visited this soi today and spent some time there. This is an extremely quiet area. Just a couple of food stalls in the whole area, no KFC, no nothing! Then I searched door to door. Found something really cool. Here are the cons and pros.

Cons:

- it's 12000/month only on a 1-year contract (which is 2 times my original budget)

- it's a 12-minute walk from the Ekkamai BTS (I'm not complaining though)

- very far from my idea of living in a lively Thai style area

- wifi and cable are not free (but it's not that expensive either)

Pros:

- I'll get a 36 sqm western style condo which is very clean and new and very beautifully designed

- mostly rich Thais and farangs live in this soi, so at least it seems pretty safe and clean

- it's much much cleaner and more visually appealing than On Nut as I don't see any fallen apart buildings in the middle of the newly built ones

- a washing machine inside the room

- an electric stove so that I can cook at home

- roof top swimming pool and fitness room

- government rate for electricity and water

I know this would be a totally off the topic choice considering my budget and expectations, but visiting many areas now I saw that I can't find anything to satisfy all my need considering my budget. If I choose this one at least I'll have everything I need for everyday life at my disposal and I can take the BTS a couple of times for the rest of the thing. I'm sure cooking and washing my clothes at home will cut off my expenses greatly, so it'll pay off.

I still have a couple of other places to see before I actually sign the contract. What do you think about it?

I'm not much of an outgoing person. But I will be out most of the weekends. So I need a comfortable place with easy access to some of these items: street food, Tesco Lotus, 7-11, restaurants, etc.

That's pretty much every apartment in Bangkok then.

Going from 4k to 12k is a big jump, why did you want somewhere so cheap in the first place when you could afford so much more?

You complained earlier that Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower was too far from the BTS. Yet you're considering a place that's 12 minutes away. Ratchararop Mansion is less than 12 min walk to BTS.

Edited by TheSpade

Going from 4k to 12k is a big jump, why did you want somewhere so cheap in the first place when you could afford so much more?

You complained earlier that Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower was too far from the BTS. Yet you're considering a place that's 12 minutes away. Ratchararop Mansion is less than 12 min walk to BTS.

Well I'm not for the idea that you have spend your money to the last dime! If I was comfortable in a 4k condo I wouldn't have paid even 500 bahts more! And with comfortable I mean comfortable in my terms, which I can call it home and can stay in it even 24 hours a day. To me Ratchaprarop Tower was exactly like a prison! And as I said 2 times before, the problem with Ratchaprarop was not the distance to the BTS station. But for such a price I expected something to justify it which I couldn't find. If you take a look at the condo that I was in today, you will not even call Ratchaprarop Tower a prison!

And about my budget I should say I was back home when I was planning. 4k wouldn't buy anything even close to my expectations so I increased it step by step as I got feedback from the market and people on this forum. Now I have a more realistic view about the hidden fees and what is really available! There are lots of comfy rooms out there at 6k-8k per month, but when you see that you can't cook at home, you can't wash your clothes at home, you have to pay double the government rate for elec and water, you have to pay for swimming/fitness separately, and you might not even be comfortable at home, then it all makes sense to pay the extra. Again, it will pay off.

Now I hope all your questions are answered :-) Do you have anything to suggest? Like a soi or some areas for me to look?

Edited by mjef

Members made the effort to help the OP find something within his budget then he turned around and threw his criteria outta the window after a month of insisting his budget was absolutely, positively immovable.

He said . . .

My budget is not 1000 baht, but 4000-6000 baht which I can add 1k more if I come across a good deal

Turns out he could add another 6-8K.

The only way I'd consider giving this guy even more recommendations is if I had sweet FA to do with my time and even then . . .

Edited by HardenedSoul

Members made the effort to help the OP find something within his budget then he turned around and threw his criteria outta the window after a month of insisting his budget was absolutely, positively immovable.

He said . . .

My budget is not 1000 baht, but 4000-6000 baht which I can add 1k more if I come across a good deal

Turns out he could add another 6-8K.

The only way I'd consider giving this guy even more recommendations is if I had sweet FA to do with my time and even then . . .

I think you didn't get the whole idea behind forums! If you read the posts, I have been suggested quite a few times to increase my budget even further and here's what I did. I said this was my budget and it didn't mean I make only 4k-6k/mo. I have something in my mind, through it out in a topic, everyone contributes to the post and then it comes to a conclusion which might be totally against what the OP thought in the first place. As it happened with my idea of a 4-6k condo for my conditions. I tried to visit all the places mentioned in this forum and haven't decided yet as they are some other areas to visit. I'm still trying to find something below 10k.

Now it's really strange that some people can't or don't want to contribute and just post something just to hurt others. :-(

Well I'm not for the idea that you have spend your money to the last dime! If I was comfortable in a 4k condo I wouldn't have paid even 500 bahts more! And with comfortable I mean comfortable in my terms, which I can call it home and can stay in it even 24 hours a day. To me Ratchaprarop Tower was exactly like a prison! And as I said 2 times before, the problem with Ratchaprarop was not the distance to the BTS station. But for such a price I expected something to justify it which I couldn't find. If you take a look at the condo that I was in today, you will not even call Ratchaprarop Tower a prison!

A prison, how?

8k gets you a 38sqm room in Ratchaprarop Tower so it's bigger and cheaper than the place you intend to stay.

They also have much bigger rooms if you're willing to pay the price for them.

And about my budget I should say I was back home when I was planning. 4k wouldn't buy anything even close to my expectations so I increased it step by step as I got feedback from the market and people on this forum. Now I have a more realistic view about the hidden fees and what is really available! There are lots of comfy rooms out there at 6k-8k per month, but when you see that you can't cook at home, you can't wash your clothes at home, you have to pay double the government rate for elec and water, you have to pay for swimming/fitness separately, and you might not even be comfortable at home, then it all makes sense to pay the extra. Again, it will pay off.

Many people told you that you were being unrealistic and you didn't believe them.

I personally told you it was doable to get somewhere if you upped your budget from 4k to 8k but seems that even still you had unrealistic expectations about what 8k would get if you expected a place close to the BTS with all mod cons, kitchen, washing machine etc.

He said . . .

The only way I'd consider giving this guy even more recommendations is if I had sweet FA to do with my time and even then

Indeed he was given a lot of good advice that he ignored then had the cheek to come back on here moaning about the places he had been suggested as they weren't up to his very specific standards.

I think you didn't get the whole idea behind forums! If you read the posts, I have been suggested quite a few times to increase my budget even further and here's what I did. I said this was my budget and it didn't mean I make only 4k-6k/mo. I have something in my mind, through it out in a topic, everyone contributes to the post and then it comes to a conclusion which might be totally against what the OP thought in the first place. As it happened with my idea of a 4-6k condo for my conditions. I tried to visit all the places mentioned in this forum and haven't decided yet as they are some other areas to visit. I'm still trying to find something below 10k.

Now it's really strange that some people can't or don't want to contribute and just post something just to hurt others. :-(

I think YOU don't get that people gave you a lot of good suggestions based on your unrealistic expectations tailored to your low budget (which we later found out could be tripled) and then when you checked them out you came back on here and threw them back in everyones face saying they didn't match what you'd asked for, the area wasn't good enough, they were too far, they didn't have this and that, blah blah blah.

Not sure people will be so quick to help you next time.

OP just adjusted his budget , and he has not been complaining about all your suggestions , so no need for all this negativity.

I know filipino teachers with a 17000 salary living in rooms for 3000 baht so it all depends on your needs and what you feel you can afford.

Edited by balo

OP just adjusted his budget , and he has not been complaining about all your suggestions , so no need for all this negativity.

I know filipino teachers with a 17000 salary living in rooms for 3000 baht so it all depends on your needs and what you feel you can afford.

I think "negativity" is the wrong word.

Indifference is better.

Anyway, I wish the OP the best of luck

Well I visited this soi today and spent some time there. This is an extremely quiet area. Just a couple of food stalls in the whole area, no KFC, no nothing! Then I searched door to door. Found something really cool. Here are the cons and pros.

Cons:

- it's 12000/month only on a 1-year contract (which is 2 times my original budget)

- it's a 12-minute walk from the Ekkamai BTS (I'm not complaining though)

- very far from my idea of living in a lively Thai style area

- wifi and cable are not free (but it's not that expensive either)

Pros:

- I'll get a 36 sqm western style condo which is very clean and new and very beautifully designed

- mostly rich Thais and farangs live in this soi, so at least it seems pretty safe and clean

- it's much much cleaner and more visually appealing than On Nut as I don't see any fallen apart buildings in the middle of the newly built ones

- a washing machine inside the room

- an electric stove so that I can cook at home

- roof top swimming pool and fitness room

- government rate for electricity and water

I know this would be a totally off the topic choice considering my budget and expectations, but visiting many areas now I saw that I can't find anything to satisfy all my need considering my budget. If I choose this one at least I'll have everything I need for everyday life at my disposal and I can take the BTS a couple of times for the rest of the thing. I'm sure cooking and washing my clothes at home will cut off my expenses greatly, so it'll pay off.

I still have a couple of other places to see before I actually sign the contract. What do you think about it?

It's really about what will make you happy. If you cook, wash cloths, entertain and spend some of your off time at pool and exercising you will make up the difference easy plus you will be in shape. On the other hand if you are locked into a budget perhaps you need to look further. I for one need a quiet place that is not old and dirty where I can relax. I have invites from friends, guys and girls to go out most nights but I am content to stay at home. I entertain my ladies at home and they love it. A swim in the pool and a nice romantic dinner cooked in my own kitchen, love it !!! I am not on holiday so i want to be comfortable everyday. My apt is smaller than I would have in my home country but it is just as nice. Security is also very good in my building so never have to worry about break ins or people blasting their music at all hours. I think sitting in a nice room or by the pool studying your Thai is the way to go... We only live once ! But look at a few other places and then make your decision. There are some deals out there.

• Like 1