Disliking everyone you meet in Thailand...

MrWorldwide

Mr WorldWide,

Thank you!! I have often wondered why so many people on TV are so jaded. If they hate Thais and Thailand so much, why are they here. I happen to love this place, and it's people. Sure, I get frustrated sometimes. But that is because I am living in THEIR culture. It is not wrong, it is different. Now, three years on, it's amazing how much easier to live here it now that I have learned to read, write and speak the language. It has opened my eyes to things I would have never seen and helped me to understand the things that frustrated me.

Don't worry, once your gf does you over, you will feel the same as all the other jaded guys.

• Like 1

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr WorldWide,

Thank you!! I have often wondered why so many people on TV are so jaded. If they hate Thais and Thailand so much, why are they here. I happen to love this place, and it's people. Sure, I get frustrated sometimes. But that is because I am living in THEIR culture. It is not wrong, it is different. Now, three years on, it's amazing how much easier to live here it now that I have learned to read, write and speak the language. It has opened my eyes to things I would have never seen and helped me to understand the things that frustrated me.

Don't worry, once your gf does you over, you will feel the same as all the other jaded guys.

Perhaps he'll get so bitter and twisted he'll feel like a new man

Mr WorldWide,

Well that is what lots of guys here seem to feel like.

Mr WorldWide,

Well that is what lots of guys here seem to feel like.

Maybe he'll get so bitter and twisted his girlfriend will feel like a new man.

• Like 2

Mr WorldWide,

I am married to an American girl. So it's not going to happen. Entering into marriage is hard enough without the cross-cultural aspect. I think that a lot of guys are just not prepared to handle the culture shock that comes from inter-cultural marriage. I for one knew I would never be able to handle it so I never "went there." I was here for 3 years as a single. 1 in Isaan and 2 in CM. Then I met my wife and we've been back now 2 years. At this point I have nothing but love for this great country I am now blessed to call home. I honestly think it has a LOT to do with studying Thai 3 hours a week for a couple years. I'm no linguist but even that was enough to help me get proficient in the language which made it IMMENSELY easier to live here.

• Like 1

Mr WorldWide,

GOOD POST,

I love Thailand most of the time

I love thais most of the time

I love farangs most of the time

I love me mummy long time

• Like 1

Ahh ! That one line says a lot more than the 19 words that made it.

I did not get "done over" by my girlfriend, but my first marriage here failed, and rather than blame my ex-wife for what happened I accepted the fact that it takes two to tango and moved on.

Moved on from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai and started over. Remarried in 2010 and my wife is expecting a baby in September. My second marriage has made me happier than I ever thought possible.

Have met many western guys since I came to Thailand who had been "done over" by Thai girls and as a result became quite bitter and twisted and now spend their days drinking Leo beer and telling anyone who will listen to them what a horrid country Thailand is and how evil the women are here.

I do feel sorry for them, but I am a very sympathetic person by nature.

deesquared made a good point regarding learning the Thai language. The best thing I ever did was to enroll in a language school in Chiang Rai for 6 months and learn to read, write and speak Thai. It makes living in Thailand so much better, the cultural gap seems to disappear when the people here realize you went to the trouble of learning their language. Have met lots of guys who have lived here for 20 years or more and can only speak 2 or 3 words in Thai, and they seemed to be the ones who moaned about the country the most. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Or as a Thai person recently asked me: Don't you trust me? Answer: I don't want to be in a position where I have to trust you. Goes for the farang here in LOS as well, I guess.

JLCrab made a very astute observation that fits well with the idea to never invest in anything that you can not walk away from. If there is one thing that I've learned in the past few years it is that everything changes and nothing stays the same. It is how you accept those changes that counts. I've also learned that we can be happy with far less than what we think we need. We've been sold a bill of goods of what and who we should be.

I can't believe this pointless thread still has legs; it will attract flaming trolls for as long as it does. Note the individual that started it had long gone!

Read my post from 5 days ago - it's at the top of this page on my 15" laptop. I seem to recall that you had said all you wanted to say several pages back ??

• Like 1

I can't believe this pointless thread still has legs; it will attract flaming trolls for as long as it does. Note the individual that started it had long gone!

Read my post from 5 days ago - it's at the top of this page on my 15" laptop. I seem to recall that you had said all you wanted to say several pages back ??

I read it, and in keeping with the ridiculous title (and motive) of this, your thread (authored from Australia), I dislike you intently.

there are few people i trust in this world in any country, most of those people have the same last name as me although i dont trust everyone that shares my last name. i trust people here both Thai and farang no more or less than I trust people back in the USA.

p.s. i do enjoy the company of many people i would not trust with anything significant.

Edited by yourauntbob
  • Like 1

I read it, and in keeping with the ridiculous title (and motive) of this, your thread (authored from Australia), I dislike you intently.

Its a discussion forum, not your personal blog - grow up. That last jab is worthy of a sulking 13-year old.

It wouldn't matter where I was posting from, or where I told you I was posting from - you didn't like the opinion expressed in the first post and have attempted to drag the thread down ever since. Even if this forum was restricted to Thai IP addresses, there are ways around that, but I completely reject your assertion that I have to be an expat (presumably of long standing) to object to the rampant negativity displayed in many 'General Topics' threads. It's telling that the majority who had an issue with the fact that I dont live in Thailand posted to that effect and left - clearly, that wasn't enough for you. I was accused of being both a troll and an impostor, posting under any number of other identities to support my original post. Just drives home that you've played the man and not the ball from the start - classic keyboard warrior strategy to respond with the 'troll' tag to everything you disagree with, but you've gone beyond that and now you are clearly enraged that this thread has even been allowed to remain in the current list of topics. You and I can play this 'game' for as long as the mods allow it, or we can allow the thread to die a natural death - your call.

I'll repeat what I said earlier - if the mods choose to close/delete this thread, its absolutely fine with me.

Isn´t obvious why it has turned into that? Most Thais have very little interaction with foreigners and cannot communicate properly whereas the foreigners come here with their presumptious thoughts and know-better attitude, showing who's the boss. It's bound for disaster.

The golden rule on any forum (internet or newspaper based or whatever) - is that the begrudged are the loudest vessels. People like to rant and moan - and its that that we hear and read - few would write a post about how contented they are, and fewer still would probably read it. Thus followers of forums anywhere get a skewed view. Forums are not the best place to decide popular feeling or attitudes (demographics thereof) - its a place to ask questions, research and mine information from those that have the t-shirt already, and to have fun chatting (moaning and ranting too of course ;))

• Like 1

there are few people i trust in this world in any country, most of those people have the same last name as me although i dont trust everyone that shares my last name. i trust people here both Thai and farang no more or less than I trust people back in the USA.

p.s. i do enjoy the company of many people i would not trust with anything significant.

I guess I agree with this - trust is a sliding scale. I trust some people enough to leave my bag or drink with them while I visit the toilet, I trust others with my money and my very existence - strangers I trust with neither, but do not overtly so. It is human to weigh up risk, sometimes we get it wrong (and I'd better there is not a person here, or anywhere over 20, that has not been burned in some way for trusting the wrong person) - and this teaches us to be more vigilant about who we trust with what.

This of course does not mean we should generalise and/or state publically (as fact in many cases) that one race or group is less trust worthy than another - the case should always be, only trust those that have earned it with that which matters most, and trust anyone with that which matters not at all.

• Like 1