Thailand's public transport issues to be solved in 2 months

webfact

2 weeks ago Transport Minister took a bus ride, one week ago he took a motocy ride. In 2 months he will shut public transport down. Problem solved.

There will be another Car Buyer SCAM in the near future instead. People want to own a car to put up a pretty FACE clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think the opposition would keep a record of all these 90/60 day promises that this ridiculous governernment insists on making. And then, aggresively challenge and question the PM/DM on why they haven't been kept or delivered as promised.

Whoops!! Forgot TiT. There is no PM's question time and she rarely bothers to attend anyway; there is no credible opposition; and everyone just ignores the lies anyway because they know nothing will change.

Same Same! Thailand number 1 !!

Raise fuel prices for everyone. Red diesel for all official business uses. Regulated properly. Use this money to promote free public transport and improve the infrastructure. Yeah, I will keep dreaming...But the only way to improve the traffic is to reduce it and if you can spend 300 baht going in your car, or go for free on a nice and reliable free public treansport service that runs on time with good drivers etc. Get rid of the majority of taxis, there are far too many and test all drivers, get the good drivcers to drive the public transport vehicles for a decent wage sso they are still happy and kick out the crap ones, let them find jobs they are better suited to...just saying...

• Like 1

I worry about this. Not so much from what is being said but the fact that a supposedly high ranking person is saying this and expecting people to believe it.

We all know this is unachievable and in reality getting taxi's to stop refusing fares and buses to pick up at designated stops will be as effective to overall traffic congestion and chaos as what swabbing the decks on the titanic was afternoon before they hit the iceberg.

In fact the analogy of iceberg seems to fit the Ministry of Transport except they are all tip and no berg....

If they had of come out and said right new plan.. even plates allowed in CBD M/W/F/Sat , odd plates T/ T/ Sat/ Sun great but they cant do that as other countries have done as they don't have the public transport infrastructure in place to handle this.... BKK has one of the lowest rail density figures for any capital city worldwide.

I am also curious as to how a taxi not refusing a fare actually assist traffic congestion... think about it.. you are standing on Sukhumvit, you flag a taxi , he pulls in, you open the door and say airport, he says no and he drives off... if he had of said OK and you got in then what actual time or reduction on congestive traffic flow has been achieved.

Id actually rather hear the statements that they would like to do something but alas powerless to really change anything.

or what about new transport plan involving all the idle lorries that used to ferry the rice to the ports for export now carrying people....

No wonder the rice isnt selling when the populations seems to be very content with a government feed of continual bs.

The point is that having a good public transport system encourages people not to use their own vehicle. If you know there is likely to be a problem with taxis - refusing pick ups, demanding fixed prices, dodgy meters, long routes etc then you are more likely to say fck it and use your own car, despite the traffic jams and parking problems.

Over more than 20 years, problems with taxis has been very small, a tiny % of the journeys I use them for. But, I have noticed an increase in issues over the last few months. More refusals, taxis from the airport with "quicker" meters than normal, more demands for a "fixed" fee, more grumbles about you live far (30km from Sukhumvit in fact) etc. Also had several ask provocative questions about the political situation here, or bad mouthing farangs in general. This is still a relatively small % but a growing one.

I am much more inclined to drive into Bangkok now. Sort the taxis out and I will use them all the time.

Raise fuel prices for everyone. Red diesel for all official business uses. Regulated properly. Use this money to promote free public transport and improve the infrastructure. Yeah, I will keep dreaming...But the only way to improve the traffic is to reduce it and if you can spend 300 baht going in your car, or go for free on a nice and reliable free public treansport service that runs on time with good drivers etc. Get rid of the majority of taxis, there are far too many and test all drivers, get the good drivcers to drive the public transport vehicles for a decent wage sso they are still happy and kick out the crap ones, let them find jobs they are better suited to...just saying...

And how many countries do you know that have manged to achieve your suggestion or anything like it?

If they think illegal parking and taxis not skipping passengers are the most pressing problems with public transport in Thailand (or Bangkok) that really need to be solved, then that shows you the caliber of the folks running the government.

At first I thought...wait a minute... we're already past April Fools Day for the year, so the NNT announcement and the comments therein aren't an AFD joke...

But then I realized.... ahhh.... these guys are just auditioning for side jobs as latenight television comedians. biggrin.png

BTW, didn't they already "solve" the problem of taxis skipping passengers by creating a system to fine taxi drivers who do that? And just how many of those fines have actually been levied in the intervening months?

This absurd article is painfully lacking in detail and structured to evoke negative remarks. "...handled within two months." can be interpreted in many ways. It is thrown into the text without proper context and supporting remarks to incite criticism.

Ha HA this will never happen They have to revoke all the taxi licences first and start educate them from scratch ,than the cops have to police this (will never happen) and book all of them for 500 Baht every time they do wrong .This would be a good way for the Gov to make Billions of Baht

What a laughing JOKE

Saw the headline and spat coffee all over the front of my shirt. Now I'm going to have to race home to change.

Oh well, it was worth it for the laugh.

Yeah totally man! I woke up late today as its my free day, this provided my morning laugh! Good one public transport, good one! Now lets hear the next joke!!!!

If a taxi doesn't want to bring me where I want or wants a fixed price, I leave the back door open and walk away to the next taxi smile.png

Works well, especially in rain cos they get soaked hehe

And one day one of them will fly into a rage at such disrespect, grab a machete from under his seat and cut your <deleted> head off.

Thais need to learn the difference among issues to be solved, addressed, or discussed. Thais writers and those being quoted continually commingle the words and create deception and confusion among readers. The truth is probably that they have no intention of doing anything about these "transportation" issues, but they don't want to say that so they sidestep around thinking that they are skillful enough to fool us because they have fooled the reporters.

Do you really think everyone involved is that stupid? And regarding the differences in issues solved, addressed or discussed, are you reading the original stories in Thai language, or relying on the Bangkok Post and Nation?

And I don't think Thailand has a monopoly on politicians and senior civil servants who sidestep issues by obfuscating.

It beats me why the journalists never bother to ask how things like this are going to be done,

they just seem to accept the bs that is fed to them.

All too often on this forum, people assume that stupidity is at the root of all of Thailand's problems - that they are just a pack of mentally retarded children. in fact, it is the system that is stupid and prevents people from making use of their intelligence.

If journalists get too "mouthy", they turn up dead - or at the very least their career prospects are crushed under the boot heel (remember the runway cracks and Thaksin's response? Or the current lawsuits for anyone who dares to say the rice stockpiles are contaminated?). In the early 90s, reporters became more emboldened after the May riots, believing that true democracy was in the pipeline. Then in 1993, I believe it was, they dropped like flies from drive-by shootings - motorcycle passengers firing into their cars at red lights. That year, Thailand had the highest rate of journalist intimidation. The journos had been told in no uncertain terms, and they haven't forgotten, so effectively have become mere stenographers. And if you can't ask questions anymore, eventually you stop thinking them up.

And watch how many government affiliated advertisers drop off if a newspaper starts printing the truth or becoming overly critical.

• Like 2

"Accountability" for these kind of statements is in less supply than Witnesses for the Chao Phya Park Hotel shooting of some years ago... but everyone needs to be careful, the government ministers are not responsible for the problems of the country and if we blame them they are likely to take legal action against us taxpayers for harming their reputation w00t.gif

Mr. Theerapong further added that the current issues, including vans parking in prohibited areas, taxi drivers rejecting passengers as well as buses not pulling over at the stop, are expected to be handled within two months.

The first thing that's needed is a body to enforce the laws. FAIL

Not much point in going any further.

Old Thaksin must be embarrassed. He was more a 6-month man. I remember him declaring that Thailand would be drug free in 6 months. He really gave it a go too -- killed almost 3,000 suspected dealers (and didn't waste time arresting them or giving them the trial they were legally entitled to).

Imagine that! Thailand, the only drug-free country in the world.

Considering the Thai attitude about Hitler lately, maybe they can also resurrect Mussolini...didn't he make the trains run on time?

no thats a modern myth.........

Edited by winstonc

This outlandish claim was made to take the TV posters attention away from the Rice Pledge scheme, government multitude of failures and cock-ups, Thaksin, redshirts, Chalerm, etc etc.

Judging by the number of comments posted so far it seems to be working. cheesy.gif