Thailand Marriages Based On Money - Why The Imbalance?

ABCer

Considering that socio-economic factors - like need for security, earning capacity and family responsibility - work both ways for Men and Women

Well that's obviously not true. Women earn less and have less access to wealth (and/or other non-financial resources) everywhere in the world. And at the same time, they nearly always have much greater responsibilities.

• Like 1

Considering that socio-economic factors - like need for security, earning capacity and family responsibility - work both ways for Men and Women

Well that's obviously not true. Women earn less and have less access to wealth (and/or other non-financial resources) everywhere in the world. And at the same time, they nearly always have much greater responsibilities.

Whatever school did you go to, it was not in Thailand. Repeating populist feminist cliche slogans does not work here. If you look around here in Thailand - you will see that

- street vendors are mostly women

- office workers are mostly women

- scooter owners/drivers are mostly women

- Uni students are mostly women

- keepers of the family units are mostly women

- factory workers are mostly women

- construction workers are mostly women

- even their PM is currently a woman

- shop assistants are mostly women

- if you need help translating your English into Thai in the street - 90% chance it will be a woman

Thai men are in most cases walking sperm donors in Thailand.

Thailand's complete social, economic and cultural life is women based.

• Like 2

Think about it. If marriage isn't based on money then what is it based on? Women don't like sex. They pretty much only do *that* sort of thing if they're compensated in some way because it isn't pleasurable to them.

If that is a serious comment then it speaks volumes about YOUR experience with women. Its a pretty sad comment really, pathetic even. Its been my experience that women enjoy sex just as much if not more than men.....they are multi orgasmic for gods sake! Who the hell doesn't enjoy having an orgasm???....your previous partners perhaps?? What a croc!...buddy, sex isn't just about lying on top of a woman and humping her like a dog for a couple of minutes.

Women need to have security..but so do men! I am committed to my wife until my son is old enough to stand on his own two feet. My wife is a good mother, a good worker that also provides for our family..financial responsibility doesn't just rest on my shoulders. If we divorce the whole house of cards comes tumbling down and my sons life takes a nosedive!

Yes, women like sex, yes they want security in a relationship both financially and emotionally/sexually and they also want to be respected and have a very deep form of friendship.. BUT SO DO MEN!

Complete <deleted>.

I think you may be confusing common patterns in farang-Thai marriages to marriage in Thailand in general.

Among Thais marrying Thais, it is unusual for there to be a very large income gap in either direction. People tend to marry within their own socio-economic class, and it takes quite some persuading to get families to accept otherwise. (not including the "mia noi" phenomena in this...just actual marriages, which in Thailand as elsewhere in Asia are seen as familial alliances).

There are exceptions but they are not the rule. And they are just as likely to involve a wealthier woman as a wealthier man. Among my Thai friends I can off-hand think of several such cases. Took a long time to get the girl's family to consent though.

Yes, Sheryl, you are right. Usually in Marriages each class sticks to its own. Hi-So marry Hi-So, Lo-So marry Lo-So and So-So marry So-So. Exceptions possible, but rare.

But this is not what we are trying to establish here. Look back at the OP. Why such a huge Imbalance? I will repeat it again.

Forget about mixed marriages. Forget about old farang/young Thai girl marriages. Forget about marriages for love.

I am saying that if we take 1000 marriages for money - only less than 10% men marry for money and over 90% women marry for money. Statistically speaking this is a huge Imbalance that cannot be explained by socio-economics.

And this is true not only for Thailand! It must have something to do with male/female biology or physiology.

Edited by ABCer

Forgot to mention it.. its also harder for a guy to fake it then for a girl.

But in general guys stay sexual active longer then females and in general wealth is accumulated with age.

Yes, robblok, this one is much better. I actually was thinking along this line, - biological reasons.

As to the wealth accumulation, it does work both ways, for men and for women.

I believe that in Thailand women had very little wealth or earning capacity until recently (as it was in the west 100 years ago).

So men just controlled 90% of the wealth and earning capacity, and women were drawn to that.

In the last 20 years, women started to get education, earn more, get better jobs, and as a result they will be more financially independent (as it is in the west).

But biologically women are programmed to want someone that can protect and provide, this has been going on for a hundred thousand years, and will not change so quickly.

I am assuming the OP's theory is based on documented quantitative research, and not just his own barstool pronouncements...

You are not attentive or just joking. Check out my OP.

Do you really believe that such statistics exist? Or if it exists, it is available? And how would you get it? - just ask: "Excuse me, dear, did you marry your hubby just for his money?"

Please share with us your figures, if you have them...

On the other hand, if "my own barstool pronouncements" do not satisfy you - suggest your own. I will be happy to discuss them.

However, if your intention is just to spill you bile excess - please use the toilet.

Or stick to your music Mr. Stradivarius. We have been doing fine here participating in a meaningful discussion without a visitor dropped off his bar stool pissed off or pissed drunk.

Gosh! a man taking a loud famous name never is up to it!

Edited by ABCer

Women need to have security..but so do men! I am committed to my wife until my son is old enough to stand on his own two feet. My wife is a good mother, a good worker that also provides for our family..financial responsibility doesn't just rest on my shoulders. If we divorce the whole house of cards comes tumbling down and my sons life takes a nosedive!

Yes, women like sex, yes they want security in a relationship both financially and emotionally/sexually and they also want to be respected and have a very deep form of friendship.. BUT SO DO MEN!

In Thailand many men do not assume responsibility for they kids.

Child support is not mandatory as it is in the west, and you can check TLL to see the number of single women looking for a farang sucker to support their kids (the father doesn't feel responsible of course).

Men can just walk away in Thailand, women can't (socially and biologically).

In Thailand many men do not assume responsibility for they kids.

Child support is not mandatory as it is in the west, and you can check TLL to see the number of single women looking for a farang sucker to support their kids (the father doesn't feel responsible of course).

Men can just walk away in Thailand, women can't (socially and biologically).

Sure that's true but I aint a farang sucker. I made an effort to learn the language so I am not walking around blind being led by some woman with dubious intentions like a lot of people I have met. Thailand has a LOT of responsible hard working women that just want a normal relationship with a decent bloke. To meet them you need to normally get out or the bar/tourist scene, internet dating sites should also be handled with caution....the game is not so different to back home if you want to meet a woman that isn't just after a visa or a wad of cash.....

Women don't have to worry about their husbands wealth in the USA because the government pays for everything. And often, they are even better if he is out of the picture. A single mother receives something like $30,000 a year worth of benefits from the government.

Show me the US of A babe that stands in front of the judge and says "Your Honor, I really don't care about my soon to be ex-husbands financial assets, because my benevolent government provides for all my needs..."

Yeah right whistling.gif

You are missing the point. Many women are willing to get pregnant without a man even in the picture or rock on her finger because she knows the government is going to take care of her and her children. For black minorities in the USA, only 25% who have children are married. Husband not necessary!

There is no free lunch in The US, if you fail to pay court ordered child support, the US government can recoup any benefits they paid to take care of your children, in the form of seizing income tax returns or SSA money you receive. I would like for you to post the documentation of your statement, I worked for Child Protective services and never encountered anything near $30,000. dollars, any benefits are based on the lowest cost of living and you can receive 70% of that for your monthly survival.

Money is a decisive factor considered in marriages all over the world, the ability of a man to offer financial stability for his future bride that are the same or better than she enjoyed when he met her.

Thailand is different when an older man wants to marry a young Thai women you are in essence paying for that privilege, by proving you can offer her financial stability by showing you have a good income and if you marry a Thai lady that has never been married before by paying Sin Sod, which is a Thai custom.

Most older man understand that her #1 priority is financial stability, it never is a case of "love at first sight"

and that he is in fact not a handsome man !!

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman

Your right Kikoman but many, including myself are in a totally different kettle of fish. I came here in my mid twenties and started dating Thai ladies of around my own age. I met my wife when I was in my early thirties, after living here for a while and learning the culture/language. I and I know a lot of others get pretty tired of hearing all the old farts ( and some young ones) rave on and on about how Thai women are only in it for the money, they lie, they cheat...rah rah rah. I know a few of them, they cant even order friend rice without having their wife helping them, they are like kids. They are usually the ones that moan the loudest.

I respect my wife, she is a 'good girl' that went to Uni, has a decent job and had never even considered having a relationship with a falang before she met me. I genuinely feel that our relationship is based on the same stuff that a relationship in the west would be based on....and yes, she finds me attractive as I do her, she likes sex as well....

For whatever reasons, the average Thai female earns less than a male, and considerably less than a professional expat male. If the opposite were true, and women earned a lot more then men, there'd be a higher ratio of men marrying for money. But i'm guessing the % would still be low.

Women are actually equally or more horny than men. But their horniness does not depend on youth or looks, but on Alpha attitude, status, wealth of the man.

For men, it is mostly looks and youth.

This is basic biology. Most men in Asia know that, many Western men still live in a romantic dream world.

It's that same romantic dream world that has led most westerners to consider any connection between money and marriage to be vulgar. Money can't buy you love and all that.

Repeating populist feminist cliche slogans does not work here.

No doubt true enough; the miserable troglodytes who drag themselves through this dismal swamp obviously aren't going to be open to even the faintest whiff of feminism, and it's not exactly hard to work out why. Still, facts is facts, eh. From the 2011 Global Gender Gap report (cited at the excellent ประเทศไทยอยู่ตรงไหน?): "ส่วนประเทศไทย อยู่ในลำดับที่ 60 ของโลก ที่ 0.6892 หรือ ผู้หญิงไทยได้รับโอกาสต่างๆ ในสังคม คิดเป็น 68.92% ของผู้ชายไทย"

• 3 months later...

Women sexual drive actually rises when they get older, at least western woman sexuality peaks around 40-50. But for man its opposite, it decreases when getting older (not just getting up but also libido), 20yo you have highest sexual energy. At least so say western studies. Good that Ive always liked older woman than I am. ;)

Edited by THssii

I think it's very simple. In Immigration's logic, a "Retired Person" needs to be able to support himself by his own means. They set a limit which in their minds is the minimum yearly income needed to live here without becoming a burden on Thai society since by law you cannot work legally. If you get caught your gone! Interestingly, that limit is very close to several other countries.

Now if you marry, the rules change. The major difference is "you " can get a work permit. Therefore you can make additional income. And your wife/husband being Thai, normally has a job or business, is working and making an income which offsets your income. Plus any income you have usually goes to helping the wife improve her business. Of course unless they are complete jerks which we all know exist even here in LOS.

I don't think there is any other reason. But of course this is TV. And why does anyone really care? It's their country. Either flow with it or leave. But there are rules that do need to be changed or modified only to make life simpler...like the 90 day report.

I think it's very simple. In Immigration's logic, a "Retired Person" needs to be able to support himself by his own means. They set a limit which in their minds is the minimum yearly income needed to live here without becoming a burden on Thai society since by law you cannot work legally. If you get caught your gone! Interestingly, that limit is very close to several other countries.

Now if you marry, the rules change. The major difference is "you " can get a work permit. Therefore you can make additional income. And your wife/husband being Thai, normally has a job or business, is working and making an income which offsets your income. Plus any income you have usually goes to helping the wife improve her business. Of course unless they are complete jerks which we all know exist even here in LOS.

I don't think there is any other reason. But of course this is TV. And why does anyone really care? It's their country. Either flow with it or leave. But there are rules that do need to be changed or modified only to make life simpler...like the 90 day report.

Some people care about small things called 'human rights', and one of the commonly agreed human rights is the right for a family to live together as a family.

And whose country is it? Is it my wife's country (100% Thai), or is it a certain criminal Chinese immigrant's country?"

Edited by FiftyTwo

Because you can't buy happiness, but it sure buys everything else***.

I think the 'imbalance' reflects the wealth distribution to an extent.

Women are probably more pragmatic about marriage choices compared to men.

Good earning capacity reflects well on other areas too.

In Asia (from married experience and opinion), is that the man's role is to provide.

Women's role is to take care of home and children.

They will take care of everything else, you can focus on the job.

Do it well enough, and you can even have mistresses :)

And yet,

that minimum they think working locals can get by on is 300bht a day.

Retired locals ....... 500bht a month.

I know as foreigners we get caught in the double pricing system but x8?

Edited by FiftyTwo

Women don't have to worry about their husbands wealth in the USA because the government pays for everything. And often, they are even better if he is out of the picture. A single mother receives something like $30,000 a year worth of benefits from the government.

I'm late reading this but your observation is how do I say "STUPID" Those women are the ones a hard working man would would never think of having. Those women are welfare trash.