Transferring a tourist visa to a new passport

Hi :)

There seems to be a huge amount of conflicting information about this on the forums, so I thought I would ask again to see if anyone has any updated/recent experiences of transferring a single entry tourist visa from an old (full) UK passport to a new one?

I only received the visa one week ago, so it still has 60+30 days validity remaining, however I want to transfer it ASAP as I want to use it to apply for a non-b visa in bangkok.

If I cannot transfer the tourist visa, is it still possible to get the non-b visa from Bangkok in the new passport if both are presented??

Many thanks,

Phoebe

A visa can never be transferred. Only the information can be but this is done on exit of country for those not on extensions of stay so you would have to do in the process for non immigrant B visa entry. But most people find getting a non immigrant B visa from a Consulate easier than conversions anyhow so I would suggest just exit and apply for visa from Consulate.

Visas - proper visas issued overseas, cannot be transferred to a new passport.

Extensions of Stay - which some incorrectly call visas, can be transferred to a new passport (in fact, they should be).

Non-Immigrant B visas are usually applied for from a consulate abroad, with supporting documentation.

It may be possible to convert at immigration, if so, you just produce both passports

Passports are normally renewed with a least six months or more validity remaining so very easy to have a valid visa in it (in the case of USA the normal visa for a tourist is valid for 10 years regardless of passport validity). In this case he clearly said "full passport" so might have years of validity before new passport was issued to replace it.

I still have 7.5 years validity remaining on the passport in fact!! It's just full which is frustrating!

I have just recently taken a teaching position, and my agency told me to go get a tourist visa saying that I could transfer it at immigration to my new passport, and then they would transfer it to a non-b in Bangkok for me.... If I was to exit the country, surely I wouldn't be able to then come back inside and get a non-b, I would have to do this from a consulate outside of Thailand... I really want to get the non-b visa ASAP (I actually wanted to apply for it when I was in Penang just last week but my agency told me this method would be easier... for some strange reason!!!)...

So, if I can not transfer my tourist visa, is there a way that when I go to get the 30-day extension I could get the extension stamp in my new passport? Or is this not possible? How about obtaining the non-b visa using my current visa and passport at the same time?

It's too complicated and frustrating >.<! Thank you for your help though :)

If there is no space they will have to do it in the new passport, and it should not be a problem. They might transfer some details from the old to the new passport.

Make sure the agency and you aply for a work permit. No work permit, no conversion, no extension and working illegally.

I have been told that the work permit application is already in process, but I need to transfer the tourist visa into a non-b before the actual permit can be put in my passport (or whatever happens with a work permit)!, which is why I am so concerned about getting the tourist visa moved across ASAP so everything can get done and put in place as it should be!!

Good, that means they are serious.

The work permit is a blue book, that will belong to you. It is not placed in the passport.

You need a wp3 form from the labour office, that will signal to immigration that you will get a work permit and makes it possible to convert to a non-immigrant visa. Once you have the visa you get the actual work permit.

If you have a 60 day tourist visa entry and want it extended they will move the entry/permit to stay stamp to new passport and do extension of stay in it.

You may need to show them letter from embassy proving you got a new passport to do this.