What visa do we apply for?!

Hey guys! I need some advice pretty quickly.

I am currently a teacher here, employed with a work permit as well. I was recently married to an American and she had been living with me here in Thailand on student/tourist visas. We are trying to get her onto my visa but now the process has become quite convoluted.

The only information I can find readily available concerns the Non-IMM O visa, which seems to only be applicable to people who have married a Thai national. Can someone help guide us as to what we actually should be applying for and how we should go about applying for it? Thanks guys!

Are you on an extension of stay for employment or not?

She must obtain a non immigrant O visa on the basis of marriage to you/your passport with stay in Thailand and then after 60 days can apply for a matching extension of stay.

• Like 1

I am not sure what you mean by 'extension of stay for employment or not.' My visa is good for about the next 9 months and I have my work-permit. I just have to do the 90 day check ins at immigration.

My wife was looking at prices for the visa and she saw two different prices - one was 550 RM (Ringit) but it said it was good for a year. Now, I have read before (and it looks like you are saying the same) that she can get the shorter visa and then just extend it once she gets back to Thailand after 60 days? Is that the best way (best for money that is!) to go about this process?

Thanks for the help so far!

Looks like you are on extension of stay based on employment from Immigrations.

Visas are issued by consulates abroad.

She can get an extension of stay as your dependant for 1.900 baht at immigrations.

That is not a visa - a visa only allows a 90 day stay - so you have an extension of stay from immigration issued by submitting a TM.7 form for such and paying a fee of 1,900 baht. Good.

Short form is your wife will be eligible for a matching extension of stay for same paperwork/fee once she obtains the single entry non immigrant visa for about 220Rm and applies after being here for several months on that 90 day entry.

You seem to be on extension under clause 2.6 or 2.7

2.6 In the case of a teacher, professor or expert working at a state-owned educational institution:
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) Confirmation and request has been made by the particular educational institution.

2.7 In the case of a teacher, professor or expert working at a private educational institution:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) The particular educational institution holds a license from the competent authority to operate
(3) Confirmation and request has been made by the particular educational institution.

She can get a dependant visa under clause 2.20

2.20 In the case of a family member of an alien who has been permitted temporary stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this Order (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) Proof of family relationship;
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto; or
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, the said person shall be 50 years of age or over.