Thunderer Tyre (Thai brand)

Hello All,

does anybody have any experience with thai brand tyre name "Thunderer" ? i drive an old Ecar with 2000c Engine and sometimes i do drive 170km+.

just noticed my tyres are worn out so need to have those changed.

Thunderer looks the most inexpensive of all at Bquick.

i'm also confused which one to get ? 195/50R15 and 195/55R15 ? i have 15inch alloy.

thanks guys,,

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice they have one called "Ice-trac" not sure where the ice is here!

Edit I also notice from their website that the inflation pressure for their tires is 50 psi which would explain why....

Edited by VocalNeal

Cheap tyres would indicate low quality all round. Caution should be exercised for an unknown brand. I really don't understand why people buy cheap tyres when you life could depends on them.

You like to travel at speed and yet are asking about the cheapest nastiest tyres to put on the car....................

allrighty then.

I think he was referring to distance, and not speed. One would hope so anyway:)

Tires are the ladt think I'd skimp on - pay an extra 1000K each and get a well know brand. Thunderer could be the sound they make after 20K kms lol

Well I do have close personal experience with them and found them to be a good low price performance tire based in part on the Goodyear F1 design. In fact I advised and provided R/D on the second series that corresponded with changes on the third evolution series (current design) and they made some recommended changes that made them a lot quieter, better dry grip and significantly better wet performance, with a respectable tread life.. IMO baht for baht they're the best value going..

Made a correction on second series to third, instead of first to second.. First series demonstrated poor tread life as they were too soft initially..

Edited by WarpSpeed

You like to travel at speed and yet are asking about the cheapest nastiest tyres to put on the car....................

allrighty then.

I think he asked about experience? You have that then?? Same for anyone else providing opinions? If you are just basing your opinion on the fact that they are Thai made and an unfamiliar name you'd be ill informed as most of the name brands are also manufactured there and oh BTW many by the same manufacturers only under generic names..

OP it'd be nice to know your current size? But additionally they'll be able to properly size you at the shop go as wide as possible without pinching the tire on the rim or rubbing body parts..

Edited by WarpSpeed

allrighty then.

I think he asked about experience? You have that then?? Same for anyone else providing opinions? If you are just basing your opinion on the fact that they are Thai made and an unfamiliar name you'd be ill informed as most of the name brands are also manufactured there and oh BTW many by the same manufacturers only under generic names..

OP it'd be nice to know your current size? But additionally they'll be able to properly size you at the shop go as wide as possible without pinching the tire on the rim or rubbing body parts..

Yes experience of being the weekend manager of tyre shop, they are cheap for a reason and 9 times out of 10 nasty.........hence cheap and nasty.

allrighty then.

Yes experience of being the weekend manager of tyre shop, they are cheap for a reason and 9 times out of 10 nasty.........hence cheap and nasty.

Competing shop no doubt, if you haven't actually owned and put them through their paces long term then just being a "weekend manager" isn't relevant experience..Likely at this point, given the life span, mostly you've been dealing with the previous 2 series not the more recent iteration as I'm certain given when that series was released most are still on the road..

Edited by WarpSpeed

thanks for the reply guys...currently my tyres are 195/50R15 ....but i'm thinking of getting 195/55R15....i found those to be a bit wider so should handle nicely...yes i do cruize at 170km speed but that's only for few seconds....i maintain at around 90km-100km .....i don't do much of long haul drive......even if i do that wont' be more than 300km at once.

judging from the comments above , i don't think anybody has any experience with the brand just except guys like warpspeed. I drive an inexpensive old car so i don't want to put on like 15k baht on tyres.

just because it is Thai brand and a new one, i won't put it away. It is sold by a reputed seller like Bquick so there must be something about it. they are thai product, locally made , new in the market therefore for obvious reasons they would provide cheaper cost to capture the market. it is inexpensive doesn't mean it is bad quality.

so if anybody using these tyres currently, i would like to know their view....i dont' care about the noise...i care about the smoothness and durability ...and should last at least 50k km ...thanks.

Edited by sunny747

" it is inexpensive doesn't mean it is bad quality." You can give us an update on that in 6 months!

Warped has some sort of interest in the brand, so he says....so it would be interesting to hear his comments if in fact he didn't have an interest. I suspect it would be different to his current point of view.

thanks for the reply guys...currently my tyres are 195/50R15 ....but i'm thinking of getting 195/55R15....i found those to be a bit wider so should handle nicely...yes i do cruize at 170km speed but that's only for few seconds....i maintain at around 90km-100km .....i don't do much of long haul drive......even if i do that wont' be more than 300km at once.

judging from the comments above , i don't think anybody has any experience with the brand just except guys like warpspeed. I drive an inexpensive old car so i don't want to put on like 15k baht on tyres.

just because it is Thai brand and a new one, i won't put it away. It is sold by a reputed seller like Bquick so there must be something about it. they are thai product, locally made , new in the market therefore for obvious reasons they would provide cheaper cost to capture the market. it is inexpensive doesn't mean it is bad quality.

so if anybody using these tyres currently, i would like to know their view....i dont' care about the noise...i care about the smoothness and durability ...and should last at least 50k km ...thanks.

Let us all know how they go after your few seconds at 170km/h.

As for Bquick only selling reputable tyres BWAHAHAHAHA...............did you ever wonder how they can sell those rim and tyre packages sooooo cheap.... it because they fit the cheapest china ying yang tyres.

Now before warpie comes on to have his dig, yes I have 22' rims and yes I fitted chingling tyres, why the cheapo tyres..... I travel a return trip daily at less than 100km/h and they suit my end use perfectly........... now if I exceeded 170km/h frequently well then I would be looking at a reputable tyre and not some chingling/ying yang/newbie thai made tyre that has a proven history but then maybe some value their families lives the same as new tyres..........cheaper the better.

" it is inexpensive doesn't mean it is bad quality." You can give us an update on that in 6 months!

Warped has some sort of interest in the brand, so he says....so it would be interesting to hear his comments if in fact he didn't have an interest. I suspect it would be different to his current point of view.

The only "interest" I have in the brand is that they approached me to R&D a couple of sets and give them feed back on their performance and if needed make suggestions on what changes might make them better, which for their part they corrected and came out with a much higher quality tire that gave a much better ride, better grip on both wet and dry and a quieter ride as well..

I got no compensation whatsoever except a couple of courtesy sets of tires to long term test which I did for over a year and a half.. Not unknown, in fact often done, to have qualified pro drivers evaluate tires..

OP the size you're considering is going to throw off your speedo, it's going to be reading slower then you're actually traveling, and the side wall is going to be higher so a more spongy ride, they aren't actually wider they are taller.. The "55" represents the aspect ratio of the tire which means the side wall is 55% of the overall width of 195 from bead to bead where as the a 50% aspect ratio is a lower tire side wall..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cheaper means cheap. Doesn't matter what you are buying. A cheap tyre manufacturer can do a near copy of a tread design to persuade folk wishing to save a buck. Why don't new car/truck manufacturers fit Hurricane, ooooop's sorry, Fireflash, gawd, what was their name, tyres to save costs.?

The OP asked who had experience with this brand of tire and was it worth the cost and that's the answer he got. The answer has naught to do with comparing oranges and apples, the tires are worth their cost, they are a good tire baht for baht equal to any other brand. For those who are having problems understanding that, what that means is that any other tire of equal value he'd be getting a better tire, not an f'ing Nitto high performance or Bridgestone or whatever else but a good quality, reasonably priced performance tire. End of.......

Let us all know how they go after your few seconds at 170km/h.

As for Bquick only selling reputable tyres BWAHAHAHAHA...............did you ever wonder how they can sell those rim and tyre packages sooooo cheap.... it because they fit the cheapest china ying yang tyres.

Now before warpie comes on to have his dig, yes I have 22' rims and yes I fitted chingling tyres, why the cheapo tyres..... I travel a return trip daily at less than 100km/h and they suit my end use perfectly........... now if I exceeded 170km/h frequently well then I would be looking at a reputable tyre and not some chingling/ying yang/newbie thai made tyre that has a proven history but then maybe some value their families lives the same as new tyres..........cheaper the better.

I wasn't gong to make any digs at your tires I couldn't care less as it has nothing to do with the OP's post.. I will say that your ass/u/mptions are limited to your personal experience which in this case you have naught. We track tested them and long term tested them on a daily driver but a sporty one. I had no concerns driving my family anywhere and often at higher than normal speeds and when they weren't in the car with me the tires got a serious hiding from me and I never had any confidence issues with them.. In fact I'll even say that at one point they took a pounding from a pot hole/cavern that ruined a new rim and the side wall was not damaged at all though the impact deflated the tire due to the significant rim and bead damage .

You're also making an ill informed & unfounded statement speaking of Bquiks supplier as THIS brand of tires is specifically made locally and not in China which is how they keep the cost down.. You're in Thailand too I'd be careful about how you spread malicious information regarding other businesses reputation they may not see it as just a generic post on a Thailand related form but more as intent to their harm their reputation and without accurate information to make matters even worse.. Just a word of caution to the wise..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cheaper means cheap. Doesn't matter what you are buying. A cheap tyre manufacturer can do a near copy of a tread design to persuade folk wishing to save a buck. Why don't new car/truck manufacturers fit Hurricane, ooooop's sorry, Fireflash, gawd, what was their name, tyres to save costs.?

They don't need to save costs they buy the tyres they fit at a similar price to what the smaller companys could quote without going out of business.

Quite a few Big Brand names are moulded in the same factory here.Like Bridgestone is Michlin or something similar.I stick with Pilots, not much choise round here. I think Tyre Plus, my Fav is Mich backed .At last they have On Car Disk Brake Skiming.thumbsup.gif

If you go to www.Alibaba.com, a Chinese trading site, you will find pages of companies all flogging tyres of identical appearance to the thunder. If you want they will even make the tyres with your name on them! As for quality......

Ps: They maybe Ok tires for the shopping trolley that goes from home to the supermarket and back, but trips of 170km in this heat???

Edited by BSJ

I sometimes borrow an old 2004 honda jazz when in Thailand, noticed a couple of years ago my friend had fitted some Thunderer tyres.

Didn't notice much diffrence driving it compared to the OEM tyres, except they did seem to squeal alot when going up the really steep hill on Koh Chaing compared to the original tyres.

They seem to have held up OK in the last couple of years. Distance wise I have driven a good 300 or 400 km on them with no issues. I never drive as fast as 170 kph in Thailand though.

Cheers

Nice oneBSJ. Look Identical. Like Black Rings with a Hole in the Middle.!! Can't be any worse than the crap used in F.1.this year.thumbsup.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif> .

"Like Black Rings with a Hole in the Middle" Would be nice if it was that simple.

I actually thought about buying Chinese tyres to sell in Oz. It's do able but I was always concerned about consistent quality and durability. I would have needed a QA person in their factory in China full time for testing raw materials and finished product. Plus to get the best price you need to buy 4 or 5 40 ft containers a month. That's a hell off a lot of tyres to move! It's easier to buy other things to sell in Oz!

Nice oneBSJ. Look Identical. Like Black Rings with a Hole in the Middle.!! Can't be any worse than the crap used in F.1.this year.thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif> width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif> .

"Like Black Rings with a Hole in the Middle" Would be nice if it was that simple.

I actually thought about buying Chinese tyres to sell in Oz. It's do able but I was always concerned about consistent quality and durability. I would have needed a QA person in their factory in China full time for testing raw materials and finished product. Plus to get the best price you need to buy 4 or 5 40 ft containers a month. That's a hell off a lot of tyres to move! It's easier to buy other things to sell in Oz!

Vegimite.thumbsup.gif

If you go to www.Alibaba.com, a Chinese trading site, you will find pages of companies all flogging tyres of identical appearance to the thunder. If you want they will even make the tyres with your name on them! As for quality......

Ps: They maybe Ok tires for the shopping trolley that goes from home to the supermarket and back, but trips of 170km in this heat???

A lot of narrow minded people used to say this exact thing about Kumho tires when they first came to the states and low and behold it wasn't long before they got into motorsports and were kicking the backsides off a lot of the higher end brands on the track at half the price, oh! and that's in the heat too, again a concept foreign to most of those here and Europeans who don't experience real heat until you get to Thailand but not to EVERYONE, again don't loose focus here, not speaking of specific track grade racing tires but street legal, off the shelf, DOT tires only shortened tread for optimized performance. coffee1.gif

The real silly of this is the cluelessness of those like you here and elsewhere is you just don't understand how many products you currently purchase and use daily that are already manufactured in China but to the foreign manufactures specs..Most likely even the notebook,PC or phone you're using to read and post with whistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I sometimes borrow an old 2004 honda jazz when in Thailand, noticed a couple of years ago my friend had fitted some Thunderer tyres.

Didn't notice much diffrence driving it compared to the OEM tyres, except they did seem to squeal alot when going up the really steep hill on Koh Chaing compared to the original tyres.

They seem to have held up OK in the last couple of years. Distance wise I have driven a good 300 or 400 km on them with no issues. I never drive as fast as 170 kph in Thailand though.

Cheers

Well that's 2 with ACTUAL experience and not mere conjecture, one pro and one daily driver, neither with a personal agenda except to give the Op accurate information. I had 2 sets to evaluate I'd say that given the age of the set you're speaking of they are probably not the most recent improved generation of the brand either which explains the squeal you're experiencing it was one of my first criticisms of the previous generation as well..

Edited by WarpSpeed

"A lot of narrow minded people used to say this exact thing about Kumho tires" But Kumho are made in Korea, are they not?

I've only had one set of Kumho tyres, fitted as original equipment to a Daewoo I bought for my now ex-girlfriend some years ago in Oz. All was good till we took the car up country one summers day. Whilst passing a 'B' double at 120kph the left front blew out. Scary experience. But I guided it on the wrong side of the road till speed dropped then pulled onto the verge. The tyres had less than 20k on them.

Despite claims of tyre makers it's always good to bear in mind you only get what you pay for. And even if Bridgestone. Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin or Pirelli make tyres in China you can be damn sure the quality is as good as the ones they used to make in Europe or U.S.A.

"A lot of narrow minded people used to say this exact thing about Kumho tires" But Kumho are made in Korea, are they not?

I've only had one set of Kumho tyres, fitted as original equipment to a Daewoo I bought for my now ex-girlfriend some years ago in Oz. All was good till we took the car up country one summers day. Whilst passing a 'B' double at 120kph the left front blew out. Scary experience. But I guided it on the wrong side of the road till speed dropped then pulled onto the verge. The tyres had less than 20k on them.

Despite claims of tyre makers it's always good to bear in mind you only get what you pay for. And even if Bridgestone. Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin or Pirelli make tyres in China you can be dam_n sure the quality is as good as the ones they used to make in Europe or U.S.A.

So how many kerbs did the ex hit prior to this.

Despite claims of tyre makers it's always good to bear in mind you only get what you pay for. And even if Bridgestone. Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin or Pirelli make tyres in China you can be dam_n sure the quality is as good as the ones they used to make in Europe or U.S.A.

So how many kerbs did the ex hit prior to this.

From the look of the tyres I would say none with the force required to do long term damage. She was a good driver....but a lousy GF it turned out!