Silly signs around the island? Seen any - got any?

Now, Watson, what, quite, do you postulate that this curious, yet specific, gesture is implying, eh?

9475187366_0abdc33591_z.jpg

(Another lovely poster - thanks Trop!)

The wife thinks it's 'OK'...i.e. the driver of the orange car is giving the blue car the OK to go...quite why the blue driver is flicking the 'V's' I have no idea LOL

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, Watson, what, quite, do you postulate that this curious, yet specific, gesture is implying, eh?

The wife thinks it's 'OK'...i.e. the driver of the orange car is giving the blue car the OK to go...quite why the blue driver is flicking the 'V's' I have no idea LOL

It looks more like a "up yours " sign the blue car is giving

Perhaps she's not familiar with this gesture - see vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiMIxMWJSkk

R

Ohmigawd! I was admiring a Thai guys jeep the other day and gave him the thumbs up when I saw him! What exactly does it mean in Thailand?sad.png

Thumbs-up in Thailand

This gesture of agreement or approval is an easy reflex when language barriers are at play. Try to avoid it in Thailand, though, where it’s a sign of condemnation. It’s typically a child’s gesture, the Thai equivalent of sticking out your tongue. People will likely be more bemused than hurt if you slip up. Still, it’s a good one to avoid.

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/10-common-gestures-easily-misunderstood-abroad/

Ohmigawd! I was admiring a Thai guys jeep the other day and gave him the thumbs up when I saw him! What exactly does it mean in Thailand?sad.png

Thumbs-up in Thailand

This gesture of agreement or approval is an easy reflex when language barriers are at play. Try to avoid it in Thailand, though, where it’s a sign of condemnation. It’s typically a child’s gesture, the Thai equivalent of sticking out your tongue. People will likely be more bemused than hurt if you slip up. Still, it’s a good one to avoid.

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/10-common-gestures-easily-misunderstood-abroad/

Chuckle . . . thanks for the heads up (or is that rude over here)? Every time I have to take a photo of a Thai chef with a special dish he has made, he always gives a thumbs up. Every single time. Perhaps he's trying to talk to me in my own gestures. Or is he havin a laff? Now I'm really confused!

BUT . . . that makes me ask - what's the Thai gesture for approval, then? Their version of thumbs up?

R

Edited by robsamui

Thumbs-up in Thailand

Chuckle . . . thanks for the heads up (or is that rude over here)? Every time I have to take a photo of a Thai chef with a special dish he has made, he always gives a thumbs up. Every single time. Perhaps he's trying to talk to me in my own gestures. Or is he havin a laff? Now I'm really confused!

BUT . . . that makes me ask - what's the Thai gesture for approval, then? Their version of thumbs up?

R

I was always under the impression that if you gave a thumbs up in Thailand it was the same as saying you are , or it is, number one / very good. If it is done with a smile it always seems to be accepted with goodwill.

The aussie two finger gesture has long been replaced the middle finger salute . Has been popular ever since Dennis Hopper gave the bird to the rednecks in Easy Rider . What a monumental film that was.!

This is a food stall in my neighbourhood. I already told her that the English is really bad and she should cut it out. The intention was that she doesn't have pork.

It's been a year and it's still there.

The irony is that the owner/cook is an obese person.

post-17753-0-79045400-1376186138_thumb.j

When you fill up your tires at PTT on Ring road, Chaweng, you can bring the air with you. wink.png

attachicon.gif16082013.jpg

Noooooo - it is asking you to take the air with you when you've finished!

Obviously they don't want too much free air lying about on the forecourt.

R

Jimmys photos @#110 should be translated into Thai & placed either end of Lamai beach road!

Along with all the signs that say "please drive on the left". They're all in English.

There is a serious need for one of these signs every 10 feet - in Thai!

R

At Namuang 2 trek to the waterfall ...

IMG_6294.JPG

Nice one Jim - looks like they've had 5 or 6 goes at this notice until they decided the top one was best!

R

I like the way they even got the exclamation mark in the warning sign the wrong way up.blink.png

I think it depends on the situation for the thumbs up here ... expression on face etc!

Perhaps this guy was trying to tell me some thing yesterday, when I stopped to look at these bikes! ....either that or he had flees in his armpit biggrin.png

Sore armpit? He gave you the finger!laugh.png

I saw 2 cars in quick succession yesterday which appeared to be hire cars. The logo on the doors read "Dare to drive":)

Dare to drive maybe means they dare you to drive on the same road as they drive Thai style.laugh.png