Thailand tourism shining bright

webfact

"Most tourists were from ASEAN states at 6.3 million or 28 per cent overall". - So were does the "minority" 72% come from.

They're classifying ASEAN states as one location to get the 28%. I suppose they then classify the rest of the world by individual country, so obviously the ASEAN states will come out as a significant number.

It's interesting that every foreigner arriving in Thailand is classified as a "tourist", even the Burmese traders that arrive on 1-day visas, usually in the form of a border pass and the Lao professionals/families/individuals etc. usually coming with passports (they get a 30 day stamp on arrival) who drive their cars down to Nong Khai, Udon Thani or even Khon Kaen for shopping. Of course if they count each arrival separately, then they'll come up with a lot higher numbers than counting unique individuals.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmon Thailand...

enough with the bullshit

This is Thailand

rayong-dirty-beaches1-610x327.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong--is this Jomptien beach ??? if not it is similar from the police box way south Jomptien..... Discusting but the Chinese do not come to Pattaya for the beach--they go to Tiffany's Central--Mike shopping Koh Lhan, and 1 night Montien (or) High end tourists do NOT sit on Pattaya beach.

They are so full of it, i think some of you are under the misapprehension that Thais read this forum, sadly i doubt it, those that do are too embarrassed to make comments.

I left Pattaya having lived there for some eight years, i lived in my own house (bought) in the so called upmarket area Wongamat, round about 2007 the Russkies started arriving on their cheap package tours arranged by TAT,and moved in arround the area, ive move further south now to escape the onslaught.

The jet ski scam cannot, or will not be stopped even by by the Mayor Kunplume himself or the Chonburi Govenor, so all this bull by the minister is just more hype.

They have encoraged the Russkies and their counterparts,also Indians, middle eastern, Chinese to come, it would appear for shopping, lol. They only follow in the footsteps of the farang from the States, Uk, Germany and some other Eruo countries who put the place on the map in the first place, so be it, because of the lady bars, night life ,cheap drink , food etc. Ive seen it take a plunge beyond recovery, since the good old days .

Changed times ahead brace yourselves, but dont think any laws will be passed to protect and support any farang against the thai mafia, they are not going anywhere !

• Like 1

Liked this quote from another source :

"But if the restless fugitive gaming the system can't overcome his seemingly heartless lust for power, Thailand loses, and all bets are off. Political strife will be rife and tourists won't be able to get to the airport quick enough"

Add that to what has bee posted previously and ....................................

'' By region, tourists from Europe (5.45 million) spent the highest portion, Bt357 billion, according to the Department of Tourism.

By country, China topped the chart, with Bt106 billion spent by 2.76 million visitors'' By my calculations Europeans spent an average of 65,505 Thb per head as against the Chinese at 38,406 per head. I think it's more Europeans I'd be trying to entice.

• Like 2

Where are the numbers for the US and Canada? I know a lot of those people who won't go to Thailand because it's a dangerous, smelly, rat infested shithole with litter and filth everywhere.

Florida has 4 times as many tourists as Thailand, employing 1 million people, and with tourist spending of $70 Billion.That doesn't count other states with big national parks which also attract a lot of tourists. Link

Americans and Canadians who want a real vacation go to Europe. I don't know anyone who hasn't seen, or who doesn't want to see the Coliseum, The Eiffel Tower, London, The Louvre, the Gare d'Orsay, The Vatican, The Loire Valley and so on.

But the Chinese will never see it for 38,000 baht. cheesy.gif

"Most tourists were from ASEAN states at 6.3 million or 28 per cent overall". - So were does the "minority" 72% come from.

I have only been here for 7 years and each year I hear the same promotion for tourism from TAT. Each year I read the same negative responses on Thai Visa. Each year I see more tourists.

Am I missing some thing. I know that TAT numbers are over blown and use people passing through as part of their count. But I also know that the rest of the world does not hold Thailand in as low esteem as a lot of the posters on Thai Visa.

When I first moved here I moved into a tourist area when I would walk out the door there would be at least 3 tuck tucks with in 50 meters. Now there are times I have to wait for one. In the low season there are times I am not sure it is a low season. Tourism in Thailand is on the rise. If you wish to believe all the beaches in Thailand are like the picture purported to be in Hat Jomtian go ahead. We were in Krabi last year and took a few tours. saw nothing like the pictures shown on TV. Try Kanom great beach. Get away from your key board and have a look around.

How ironic that whilst the country is failing everywhere it's tourists that are Thailand's saving grace. So maybe some Thais will start to learn not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Thank Buddha for farang!

edit.

Good point.

Money wise a tourist dollar touches more people than any other area.

A tourist baht will affect manufactures , waiters, cooks, street venders and a lot of people in the hospitality industries.

• Like 1

Europe while being only 25% of the travelers, accounted for 36% of the revenue,
while China being 12% of the travelers accounted for only 10% of the revenues.

PRC has about 2.5 time the population of the EU,
but less than 1/3 the GDP per capita

As PRC's GDP/capita rises, its importance to Thai's tourism will increase
but each tourist will spend less than the average European.

In terms of revenue, its probably a push (quality vs quantity)
but given the recent focus on quality tourist,
I know the area I would focus on.

I have had a good look around ,that pic that I posted is in Hua Thanon ,samui .I lived across the road from there for a few years ,that pic is after a storm and its not like that all the time I have to admit ,but if you look at it at a quick glance when driving past in the car or stand on the beach and look out of the corner of your eye it looks ok ,but walk down to the waters edge and step on a broken m150 bottle and the sight of your blood may change your mind .

Out there is a reef and and if your game enough to dodge the broken glass and get your googles wet you will see rubbish all the way out to the reef 365 days a year ,and if you get on the island out there its filthy .Most of it comes from the fishing village down the road .

I went back down there last week and being in the hash house harries that run everywhere on that island ,i went on a run out in the sticks in some lovely coconut plantations and hills ,and same as the many runs ive been on there you come across piles of dumped rubbish and building materials everywhere .

Last time I went to ko Samet a few years ago it was like a garbage tip ,I thought I had discovered a new species , the plastic bag tree.And thats a national park .

The problem is rubbish, and Thais think that chucking it in the bush its gone ,but when the rain comes and it goes into the ocean .

I agree with the other guy that says post pics and shame them into doing something about it ,I dont really think that chinese and indian tourists mind standing around in a bit of rubbish if they can breath a bit better than there homeland and dont need a pair of stilts to walk through the <deleted>.

They really need to to start an ed program in schools here ,ever been behind a song tow full of kids on there way back from school .

• Like 1

I see they are still pirating photographs to dupe people into thinking that this is their beach. Where is the rubbish, the clutter of broken chairs and torn umbrellas, the dog <deleted> all over the place and the hundreds of mangy soi dogs begging for food.

Use photo's of your own beaches and then people may listen for a moment.

It seems TAT loves Boracay.

Maybe they add Boracay arrival numbers too?

• Like 1

How ironic that whilst the country is failing everywhere it's tourists that are Thailand's saving grace. So maybe some Thais will start to learn not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Thank Buddha for farang!

edit.

Not wishing to appear to be toe-ing the line of Thai Authority's' 'if you weren't there it wouldn't have happened'. But seriously?blink.png The beaches would've remained pristine (no tourists to sling up bars/restaurants to accommodate). No open air tart bars, they'd have stayed 'underground', where they belong. I don't want to have some pissed up tart/katoey screaming 'hello welcome' at me as I go about my day/night. No Godawful jetskis. No endangered species for photo ops, I could go on.

And it's a fact that the Thais wouldn't have become so rude/money grubbing if it were not for the tourist industry. The Thais on Phuket are even worse now that the Russians are here. I am certainly not bashing Russians, it's simply that their perceived brusque manner has been emulated by the Thais in tourist areas, much like early Ko Pang Ngan, with it's drunken partying euro youth. A trip up country opened my eyes to how nice the Thais are, once you get them away from any farang influence.

• Like 1

For those poopooing the fact that tourism only makes up 8% of the economy, just stop and think what that actually equates to

Manufacturing

Wholesale and Retail Trade

Transport, Storage and communication

Agricuture

Construction and Mining

Other services *

Note* Other services include financial sector, education, hotels and restaurants, etc.

About the same as agriculture, more than construction astonishingly, nearly as much as logistics and transport

http://www.bot.or.th/English/EconomicConditions/Thai/genecon/Pages/Thailand_Glance.aspx

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Thank Buddha for farang!

edit.

Not wishing to appear to be toe-ing the line of Thai Authority's' 'if you weren't there it wouldn't have happened'. But seriously?blink.png The beaches would've remained pristine (no tourists to sling up bars/restaurants to accommodate). No open air tart bars, they'd have stayed 'underground', where they belong. I don't want to have some pissed up tart/katoey screaming 'hello welcome' at me as I go about my day/night. No Godawful jetskis. No endangered species for photo ops, I could go on.

And it's a fact that the Thais wouldn't have become so rude/money grubbing if it were not for the tourist industry. The Thais on Phuket are even worse now that the Russians are here. I am certainly not bashing Russians, it's simply that their perceived brusque manner has been emulated by the Thais in tourist areas, much like early Ko Pang Ngan, with it's drunken partying euro youth. A trip up country opened my eyes to how nice the Thais are, once you get them away from any farang influence.

I recently moved from (up country farm areas NO FARRANG INFLUENCE) back into the city again.

In the north-up country, as you say. BUT it is the same in general. True a % of Thais are super, the rest have the same attitude as everywhere else. in 32 years not a lot has changed, most WANT WANT, so maybe you got into a area where greed does not exist.

Thank Buddha for farang!

edit.

I recently moved from (up country farm areas NO FARRANG INFLUENCE) back into the city again.

In the north-up country, as you say. BUT it is the same in general. True a % of Thais are super, the rest have the same attitude as everywhere else. in 32 years not a lot has changed, most WANT WANT, so maybe you got into a area where greed does not exist.

Never sure what to think when I hear stuff like this. If you are in an area with a lot of Thais yes they are just like you. When you were working you want wanted. Always got the most you could from your boss in fact some times go on strike to get it. Now the shoe is on the other foot and you are the boss and they are the ones who want want.

Try living in a Thai neighborhood and stay away from the farong neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Just saw that Lonely Planet voted one of the beaches in Krabi the second-best in the world.

Was there last year. I find that hard to believe.

Mind you it is easier to believe than what some of the posters On Thai Visa would have us believe.

I had two problems there in the Krabi area with the beaches.

1 no lounge chairs. That in no way affects the looks of the beach in fact it enhances them. I just like them.

2 Because of Diabetes my feet are sensitive and I found the large grain sand to be hard to walk on.

My favorite beach was LaRopa in Mexico but who knows that was many years and a whole lot of Gringos ago

There are still some nice islands/beaches in the Trang area, Andaman sea. Krabi/Phi Phi used to be beautiful, but is now a tourist trap like elsewhere.

I rarely travel these days in Thailand. Overpriced, overrun and the attitude at tourist places is appalling. Fortunately, Asian neighbour countries still have beautiful spots and friendly people.

• Like 1

HD, read my post mate--I have lived in Thai farm villages most of my 14 years Near Khorat-prov- Udon- prov Phrayou-prov Nong bua -prov. the farrang neighbourhoods I have lived UDON and Jomptien.

the want word was used in the term I am going to get- working and asking is different to trying to get by any means.

Posters have posted about this so much and MOST will tell you they have been stung--YES by families in rural areas. If you have not--well good--MOST have. I rent now because of this----my car and m/cycle are mine and with books so is my condo--but rent in Udon. so I have escaped from Thai family/rural ares--too risky.

class my self as honest-happy and quite normal. Hope you understand--I love it here and do not have grudges-only mine and thousands of others lives have been hit at sometime or the other. O.K.

Edited by Rimmer
Messed up quotes removed

That's what you want millions more tourists throwing rubbish all over the beach and blocking up already overloaded sewage systems ,more cars busses and pollution .

I went down south last week and it was filthy ,the beaches and water just made me want to go home were I don't have to look at it ,and chooka your right that's the phillipines ,I'll show you a shot of a thai beach ,from Samui and you understand why they wanted to show another country's beach for promo shots.

To be fair, when the monsoon changes in November all tha garbage will wash back into the sea and at the proper tide level the beach will look pristine.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Thailand Tourism Shining Bright"

post-146250-0-67949900-1374217449_thumb.

This is a Banca Boat on a beach in the Philippines for Christ's sake. From the

sand and the cleanliness I may speculate either Boracay or Palawan.

Sure as hell isn't LOS that's for sure. Why is TAT so stupid? Or is it just

an excuse at birth?

attachicon.gifx30210618-01_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EddfYxVJfN.jpg

an excuse at birth?

TAT show the one from Jomptien esp., soi 6--12

attachicon.gifx30210618-01_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EddfYxVJfN.jpg

an excuse at birth?

TAT show the one from Jomptien esp., soi 6--12

Didn't they just charge the monk with false advertising???