"You cannot reply to this topic" message -- Why not?

Wavefloater

I was looking at a post -- one that, as it turns out, was simply an advertisement for a telemarketing position. Of course, telemarketers are the most annoying leaches of society, and I was going to poke a bit of fun at the advert. Then I noticed that the thread was closed for comment, so in essence it wasn't part of the forum (since the very nature and definition of a forum is a place to discuss issues and interests).

So, shouldn't adverts be placed in the "classified ads" section, where if we're looking for something to buy or a person to do a job for us we can choose to look in the particular section? Instead, I can't help but to feel that placing this advert as a normal post is sneaky because they're pretty much guaranteed to get more lookers than by properly placing it in the classified ads section.

It's no big deal but makes me feel that the decision to disguise an advert as a post is a poor reflection on either TVF or the The deVere Group, who is the company looking for the telemarketer.

Of course, telemarketers are the most annoying leaches of society, and I was going to poke a bit of fun at the advert.

And that is also the very reason why that particular subforum has no reply function smile.png

• Like 1

Of course, telemarketers are the most annoying leaches of society, and I was going to poke a bit of fun at the advert.

And that is also the very reason why that particular subforum has no reply function smile.png

I found the post the OP is talking about: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/654336-telesales-opportunity-basic-excellent-commissions/

And as JB already said, people can post offers there, but you can't reply to them. You can only contact them by PM

• Like 1

If you have problem with a post you can always use the report button (in the lower left hand corner) which is on every post

attachicon.gifcap2.JPG

Well...ya...I know that.

But I brought up the topic for the possibility of some discussion about the nature and integrity of forums. Basically, my question is whether posts appearing as normal posts should be open for discussion, and if people also thought there is something a bit deceptive posting like that. I thought there was.

It's against TV rules, as simple as that. smile.png

Could you imagine what would happen if we were allowed to comment on advertisers here? It would be a war zone with Libel suits flying all over the place. rolleyes.gif

They are not advertisers, they have posted in the Job Offers in Thailand Forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/106-job-offers-in-thailand/

And there people can post their job offers, but no one can post replies.

Edited by MJCM

What I'm saying is that if it is posted as what appears to be a normal (open for discussion) post, we expect to be able to reply. If it's nothing more than an advert, it should be put in the classified ads section (where we would expect it's not open for public comment).

When I go into TVF to see whats happening, I basically only use the "View New Content" button, and I always assumed that what was presented to me was regular threads that were open for discussion. when I saw the "You cannot reply to this topic" message, I was surprised. But now (thanks to some of you who have replied) I have learned that replies are not allowed in the "jobs....etc" subforum. Never knew that before. No big deal -- I was just surprised.

Edited by Wavefloater

Here a small list of all the Forums with their restrictions:

Can start new Topic, but can't reply

1. Job Offers in Thailand
  2. Job wanted in Thailand - Hire me!

Can't start new Topic and Can't Reply

1. Buy or Sell a Thai Business
  2. Announcements
  3. Free classifieds - For sale/for rent/wanted

Can't start new Topic but Can reply

1. Thailand News
  2. World News
Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Here a small list of all the Forums with their restrictions:

Can start new Topic, but can't reply

1. Job Offers in Thailand
  2. Job wanted in Thailand - Hire me!

Can't start new Topic and Can't Reply

1. Buy or Sell a Thai Business
  2. Announcements
  3. Free classifieds - For sale/for rent/wanted

Can't start new Topic but Can reply

1. Thailand News
  2. World News

Very informative!! Thank you.

I assume that to get content put in the "Can't start new Topic and Can't Reply" category one must submit info for approval and posting by admin.

Could you imagine what would happen if we were allowed to comment on advertisers here? It would be a war zone with Libel suits flying all over the place. rolleyes.gif

Hmmm, fair point, however I still think there's something in what I said.......the OP has admitted he was wanting to flame them. It would become a war zone.

• Like 1

Hmmm, fair point, however I still think there's something in what I said.......the OP has admitted he was wanting to flame them. It would become a war zone.

Oh relax, guys. I only wanted to poke a bit of fun at telemarketers in general -- not "flame" or "troll" the specific post.

After all, who appreciates being interrupted by a call from a telemarketer, especially during one's evening meal (which seems their favourite time to pester people)? I figure if somebody's going to post that type of position on a forum, they deserve a bit of heckling.

Perhaps there are enough farang working in LOS as financial services telemarketers and time-share touts that I should just start a thread about people's feelings when they're approached by these types...things like how they treat such vermin and how they feel about them.

Edited by Wavefloater