What do we give up to be an expat

GuestHouse

I think it's a valid question from GH to be honest.

For me, being an expat there are lots of benefits. However, some of the things for me that I miss are being nearby family and old friends, playing village cricket, certain foods and drinks, reading the local newspaper (the latest headline in my local was about cows attacking a dog walker laugh.png ), watching live football and rugby (good standard), walking on the sand dunes, driving my car on roads that have less idiots, and cold frosty mornings.

However, there are so many other things that I also have here, and I would find it quire difficult to live back in my old village.

• Like 1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing i gave up is only seeing my son once a year but he has a life with his family.Nothing in the uk interests me,the weather is shit(except an unusual heatwave,then everything is packed and expensive), the immigration issue is ready to explode,expensive overall,and the nightl;ife is awful for a more than middle aged guy lol.

I gave up nothing, I have far better life here than I would in Canada plus my wife is happier here than she would be in Canada. When I first moved here my idea was to spend 7 months here 5 months in Canada, but I soon realized after 5 days in Canada I was homesick for Thailand. Last time I was in Canada, 4 years ago, I was supposed to stay 2 weeks. I got bored and left after a week.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The only thing i gave up is only seeing my son once a year but he has a life with his family.Nothing in the uk interests me,the weather is shit(except an unusual heatwave,then everything is packed and expensive), the immigration issue is ready to explode,expensive overall,and the nightl;ife is awful for a more than middle aged guy lol.

You could say the same about almost any western country.

(except weather in California is usually quite good)

Miss? Short list, having been here 7 years now, (from Southern California) in order of importance:

1) Mexican Food (affordable, variety) and cheap Margaritas

(I HAVE finally located Salsa, and the makings for great burritos AND a Margarita pre-mix, so #1 is losing some priority LOL)

2) Magic Mountain & Disneyland (gigantic safely-maintained roller coasters)

3) Seeing my best friend and other friends, and the entertaining conversations..

4) Seeing the few family members who will still talk to me, after "abandoning America"

5) The moderate climate of Southern California.

6) Being able to go body-surfing in moderate size waves (2-4 feet high)

So... no "serious issues" in what's missed.

And I have to say there were a LOT of serious issues and problems I USED to have in my life in the states, which happily,are non-existent here in LOS.

• Like 2

What do we give up to be an expat in Thailand? O.k lets have a stab at this...

Not being looked at by younger women.rolleyes.gif

A sense of ease and safety whilst driving on the roads.facepalm.gif

A pension that rises with inflation.w00t.gif

Not looking over one's shoulder waiting for the next scam.( However this does have a plus side-Keeping you sharp offsetting the alzeimhers)thumbsup.gif

I'm off for a sunbathe and swim in our green and pleasant land. Then a few real ales later, followed by some swimming and surfing with the family over the weekend.biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Have a good evening and remember there's no place like homewink.png

CCC

Hijack thread alert: I’m not even from England, but from all the negative crap you take about your food, I’d dearly miss a proper English breakfast! Can’t be beat!

Someone mentioned Mexican food…unless it’s made by a guy with a hairnet in a dirty white t-shirt…it just ain’t like being there.

Miss? Short list, having been here 7 years now, (from Southern California) in order of importance:

1) Mexican Food (affordable, variety) and cheap Margaritas

(I HAVE finally located Salsa, and the makings for great burritos AND a Margarita pre-mix, so #1 is losing some priority LOL)

2) Magic Mountain & Disneyland (gigantic safely-maintained roller coasters)

3) Seeing my best friend and other friends, and the entertaining conversations..

4) Seeing the few family members who will still talk to me, after "abandoning America"

5) The moderate climate of Southern California.

6) Being able to go body-surfing in moderate size waves (2-4 feet high)

So... no "serious issues" in what's missed.

And I have to say there were a LOT of serious issues and problems I USED to have in my life in the states, which happily,are non-existent here in LOS.

It’s just downright f’ing cruel to even mention Mex….food. Are you trying to kill me????

• Like 2

Possibly the critical issue to the OP's original question is the definition of "Expat". If we deem this to be a person who thinks of themselves as a (Brit, ozzie, canuck, yank whatever, sorry for the slang) first and foremost then they will probably give up very little and will always yearn for the country of their birth and likely only leave for periods, and some may indeed be for extended times, but they will nevertheless return with some regularity. This person will not "give up" much in any aspect of their life to do what they do as an "Expat".

If however we define an "Expat" as someone who recognises that due to his/her cultural/racial/physical characteristics will be recognisable as different within a given cultural group but who, nevertheless, willingly and most likely, enjoyably immerses themselves in said culture and lives life as it comes rather than making constant comparisons to a previous (and deemed more acceptable) life, then in all likelihood they will have to give up nothing as an Expat. And gain immeasurably.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the OP. Obviously depends on where and who you are going back to

Been here 10 years now and the novelty has well and truly dried up. It was great for a few years, dont get me wrong, but you soon see through the cracks. So taking my son home for a decent free education, and real friends and family.

Most of the guys I have known here, you take away golf and bar girls, and they would be lost. I have done that, but cant imagine being like that myself, a big red faced whore junkie at 50 or 60. Keeps them happy, on the outside anyway, but not for me.

Looking forward to a decent 2nd hand car for 10k, decent roads and driving, culture, going to live football, sport in general, friends, family, beer, food, long summer nights, UK holidays for my son inc Xmas with the family, Easter, Haloween, Summer breaks, Going somewhere for a bet, horse racing days out, poker tournaments, Buying a decent house that I can pass on that wont be a run down p1ss hole in 30years, drinking water from the tap, My <deleted> being flushed away from the house, not having to put up with the smell of <deleted> when walking in town, bus drivers not doing 120kmh up the hard shoulder,minimal power cuts, no dogs everywhere yapping away, no dogs splattered in the road, no dogs banging away at the side of the road, no cobras in the garden, a house in my name, land in my name, not having to photocopy and sign 100 pieces of A4 everytime I want to change something legally, no blatant under the table pay offs, free healthcare, not driving to a shop to buy something and being told "Mai mee' or 'mai roo'.

Not having to listen to being referred to as 'Farang'...... ,defend it all you want, but lets face it, they may as well cut to the chase and just call us nxxger.

The land of smiles. More like the land of smiling assassins.

Son and wife?...or just the son?

Not having to listen to being referred to as 'Farang'...... ,defend it all you want,  but lets face it,  they may as well cut to the chase and just call us nxxger.

So Thailand hasn't become politically correct yet (thank god) When I grew up the immigrants were called, Limies, Waps, Spics, Chinks, Polacks, Japs, Frogs, Jerries, and then the Packies came and Portuguese (for some reason they never seemed to get a nickname) and the Blacks (in Canada most people didn't use the n name). I rather like farang and once they get to know you it is seldom that you hear it. For instance in my village most people call me Leum George, and a few Teacher. I almost never hear farang anymore except from a farang friend who likes to use it and says to his farang friends when he greets ghem "hello farang".

Not having to listen to being referred to as 'Farang'...... ,defend it all you want, but lets face it, they may as well cut to the chase and just call us nxxger.

So Thailand hasn't become politically correct yet (thank god) When I grew up the immigrants were called, Limies, Waps, Spics, Chinks, Polacks, Japs, Frogs, Jerries, and then the Packies came and Portuguese (for some reason they never seemed to get a nickname) and the Blacks (in Canada most people didn't use the n name). I rather like farang and once they get to know you it is seldom that you hear it. For instance in my village most people call me Leum George, and a few Teacher. I almost never hear farang anymore except from a farang friend who likes to use it and says to his farang friends when he greets ghem "hello farang".

Leum? you mean Lung?

George? i am yet to meet a Thai who can say George in English speaking Thailand where i live.

When you are referred to as Lung, the name is not used, just as Yaai or Paa but no doubt your village is differentthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Ah, the Good Old Daze ....

Totally agree with the OP. Obviously depends on where and who you are going back to

Been here 10 years now and the novelty has well and truly dried up. It was great for a few years, dont get me wrong, but you soon see through the cracks. So taking my son home for a decent free education, and real friends and family.

Most of the guys I have known here, you take away golf and bar girls, and they would be lost. I have done that, but cant imagine being like that myself, a big red faced whore junkie at 50 or 60. Keeps them happy, on the outside anyway, but not for me.

Looking forward to a decent 2nd hand car for 10k, decent roads and driving, culture, going to live football, sport in general, friends, family, beer, food, long summer nights, UK holidays for my son inc Xmas with the family, Easter, Haloween, Summer breaks, Going somewhere for a bet, horse racing days out, poker tournaments, Buying a decent house that I can pass on that wont be a run down p1ss hole in 30years, drinking water from the tap, My <deleted> being flushed away from the house, not having to put up with the smell of <deleted> when walking in town, bus drivers not doing 120kmh up the hard shoulder,minimal power cuts, no dogs everywhere yapping away, no dogs splattered in the road, no dogs banging away at the side of the road, no cobras in the garden, a house in my name, land in my name, not having to photocopy and sign 100 pieces of A4 everytime I want to change something legally, no blatant under the table pay offs, free healthcare, not driving to a shop to buy something and being told "Mai mee' or 'mai roo'.

The land of smiles. More like the land of smiling assassins.

Son and wife?...or just the son?

Wife aswell. But I'm obviously not returning for her benefit, so didnt mention her, although she is moving for ours. Thats the sort of person she is. So if you need to know, I Had a nightmare Thai GF when I first moved here, but my Thai wife now, of 7 years, is a gem. My House and car, all bought by me, and although an initial gamble, was always in her name, and everything has now been sold in the last 2 months. She has subsequently sent all money from our joint account, straight to my personal account in the UK. All sales and savings from 10 yrs amounted to around 15 million baht. She hasnt taken a penny from our savings, although could have quite easily cleaned me out.

Maybe not the answer you were hoping for, but unfortunately, true my friend. .

• Like 1

Rubbish

If a Thai says the word "farang" within earshot of 10 white or non-Thai people, perhaps 1 of them would take offence.

If a Thai says the word "nxxger" within earshot of 10 black people, he knows for certain that he'll have 10 very big problems on his hands.

Frankly, after 10 years here, you really ought to know that, most of the time, Thais will bend over backwards to avoid causing offence to others.

If they knew for sure that ALL whites/non-Thais found the word "farang" offensive, they wouldn't use it.

• Like 1

Where I am from: small town in the rOCKY MOUNTAINS

Pros: Cold dry mountain air, honest friends, great house partys, full access to every religion, philosophy and culture on earth+ Occasional ganga which is legal or almost legal? Direct access to the best business markets in the world?

The freedom to express your thoughts and have others around that are capable of engaging in thoughtful discussion?

Cons: expensive rat race and too cold sometimes and stress!

Where I am now:tHAILAND

Cons: Too hot and damp all the fricken time makes me feel sick.

Too much sugar in the food and difficult to get proper exercise.

Women HERE are predators very dangerous BEWARE! (unless they are fat and ugly but then you may have got something better at home? Maybe at home she at least got a good job?

pROS: Cheap living and easy going life the fruit juice flows like water and proximity to the rest of Asia which is the most exotic part of the world?

Conclusion: stay here until its not fun anymore and then leave!

• Like 1

We get away with a lot more than Thai people do, because we're Farang.

The drunken bullshit many Farangs give to Thai guys would not be tolerated if it was a Thai guy giving the abuse, you'll get a free pass because you're a Farang most of the time, a Thai guy won't get the second chance.

• Like 2

The drunken bullshit many Farangs give to Thai guys would not be tolerated if it was a Thai guy giving the abuse, you'll get a free pass because you're a Farang most of the time, a Thai guy won't get the second chance.

What drunken bullshit are you referring to?

Why do not you get drunk, go to Thai bar and give Thai guy some shit and see what happens

The only place where they get away with it to a point is with taxi drivers and inside girly bars without security.

Rest assured the moment foreigner steps over the line he gets attacked by a pack of wolves.

The only time he does not get attacked is when a Thai is alone or Thai does not understand a word being said

• Like 2

Why do not you get drunk, go to Thai bar and give Thai guy some shit and see what happens

The only place where they get away with it to a point is with taxi drivers and inside girly bars without security.

Rest assured the moment foreigner steps over the line he gets attacked by a pack of wolves.

The only time he does not get attacked is when a Thai is alone or Thai does not understand a word being said

Well, I have only been here for 23 years, so I will bow to your greater experience, I stand corrected. blink.png

But, in the real world , what I said was right. thumbsup.gif

Well, I have only been here for 23 years, so I will bow to your greater experience, I stand corrected. blink.png

But, in the real world , what I said was right. thumbsup.gif

please do not tell me you want to play "mine is bigger than yours"

real world? you mean YOUR world of what you have seen?, it does not mean a real world, no matter how long you have been hererolleyes.gif

• Like 1