'Trayvon Martin could have been me' - Barack Obama

webfact

News from the States wasn't of much interest to me when I lived there, and still isn't. In other words, I'm not taking sides because I don't have sufficient information.

But I have read a few articles on this case, including Obama's comments, and I have yet to find any reliable source that provides any insight as to what Zimmerman did or said that indicates he picked on Martin because of his race.

So I'm wondering, is there a shred of reasonable evidence of any kind that race was involved? Was it introduced at trial?

The killer had a long history of repeated calls to 911 about young black men and boys. Generally, false alarms.

There had been a string of burglaries in his neighborhood and my understanding is the perps were generally young black males.

The killer saw another black boy "stranger" and jumped to conclusions.

It's profiling. Some may say justified. Is that racism? Who knows. Profiling is not a crime at least from a civilian. Racist thought is not a crime. MURDER is. The reason Zimmerman will be despised for the rest of his life, and rightly so, is the inconvenient corpse that he created, and so many people don't believe he HAD to create.

Thank you for not only answering, but in some detail. Wonder why no one else did?

Anyway, nothing concrete, because we don't know if any of his calls, though seriously over the top, also reported suspicious behavior by other races. Apparently neither the prosecution nor the defense took a stab at that.

But, by your understanding, numerous burglaries were perpetrated by black males. So really, it may or may not have been the race of the deceased that brought Zimmerman outside, it may have been Zimmerman's being a wanna-be cop, combined with being tired of his neighbors being burglarized.

Should a neighborhood watch volunteer, whose neighbors have been victims of crimes by blacks, upon learning someone suspicious was black, have gone home, afraid of being accused of racism?

Sorry, Jingthing, I'm still not seeing evidence of racism here. Stupidity, yes. Emotional immaturity yes. Inability to make adult decisions, yes. Racism, no.

Listen, if (more like when) a murder is committed by one race against another because of race, I'll be there with you. When James Byrd, Jr. was viciously murdered by being dragged to death over miles of asphalt, I found the whole thing disgusting beyond belief. Shame two of the murderers are still breathing.

But in the meantime, unsubstantiated race baiting, by either side, is divisive and unproductive.

If Trayvon was profiled because he was black, why didn't Zimmerman know for sure he was black when he first spoke to the 911 dispatcher? He did mention there had been a lot of break-ins in his neighborhood and there was someone who looked "really suspicious", on "drugs or something" and looked like they were "up to no good". Zimmerman pointed out that "it's raining and he's just walking around, looking about". That doesn't sound like Trayvon was walking in one direction, towards his father's home. When asked by the dispatcher about his race, Zimmerman said, "he looks black".

The only time Zimmerman knew Trayvon was black was later when Trayvon was coming towards him and Zimmerman said, "Yeah, now he's coming towards me. He has his hand in his waistband and he's a black male".

But it's probably better if you read the transcript and decide for yourself if there was any racist profiling going on:

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/326700-full-transcript-zimmerman.html

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The charge wasn't racism.

It was murder and also manslaughter.

Racism is not a crime.

I really don't get why people would project on everyone with a problem with this verdict as feeling exactly the same way.

I have repeatedly said profiling isn't always unreasonable.

What Zimmerman did that night SPECIFICALLY was extremely unreasonable

I have said repeatedly the Justice Department probably doesn't have a case based on civil rights violations but I see nothing wrong with a fresh look at it.

Jingthing

Posted 8 minutes ago

Again, the legal charges were not about racism, and the murder victim is NOT on trial. He was already judged guilty and executed by his killer.

I am not grouping you with anyone. I respect your right to voice your opinion. You were simply the only one with the intestinal fortitude to reply to my question.

Having said that, I was not referring to the "legal charges." I was referring to the POTUS and many others, including on this thread, bringing race into the equation. It doesn't add up.

And, yes, "racism" is a crime if the assault was based on race. Since Florida did not charge him with a hate crime, I guess they too had no evidence that Zimmerman took the actions he took because of Martin's race.

Again, my questions was, is there any solid evidence that Zimmerman acted based on Martin's race?

Apparently not.

I see evidence that Zimmerman is a twit, an idiot, emotionally immature. But I see no evidence that he is a racist (though he might be).

Again, the legal charges were not about racism, and the murder victim is NOT on trial. He was already judged guilty and executed by his killer.

As I would expect you to be less upset about if the evidence were true and Martin went back to beat up who he thought was a gay guy.

EDIT: and unlike racism, beating up people is a crime, and beating up someone because they are gay is a hate crime. I agree though, execution is too extreme of a punishment.

Edited by mopar71
  • Like 2

The Drugs Zimmerman's doctor stated in the medial report aired by ABC News May, 2012 are:

Adderall Amphetamine -Street Name "Speed" Detroampheetamine- a pure form of Speed" Street name Kiddie Speed and uppers.

Trayvon in his autopsy was found with traces of Marijuana street name "weed" which was noted in the report to have been ingested days before, and had no effect on Trayvon's behavior on the night he was shot.

As many posted that Trayvon was under the influence of weed the night he was shot is untrue, but that speculation abounded never the less.

Zimmerman was taking the doctor presbibed medication at the time of the shooting but him being under a potent influence of a prescribed Drug "Speed" as it is known on the street. never has been discussed!

Cheers:tongue.png

Edited by kikoman

Zimmerman was taking the doctor presbibed medication at the time of the shooting but him being under a potent influence of a prescribed Drug "Speed" as it is known on the street. never has been discussed!

More nonsense. Adderal is a lot milder stimulant than methamphetamine (speed) and it has the opposite effect on people with ADHD. It calms them down. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Seriously, you might want to rethink that dogma.coffee1.gif

MIAMI Jurors discussed Florida's controversial Stand Your Ground self-defense law before rendering their not-guilty verdict in George Zimmerman's trial, one of the jurors told CNN's Anderson Cooper.

It was COMMON LAW - not stand your ground.

Some people have insisted that SYG was applied in the case as a defense through Judge Nelsons jury instructions. This is understandable given the fact that the jury instructions state that there is no duty to retreat. The jury was told that if Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed [as above].

However, the common law does not impose a duty to retreat. It preexisted the SYG law in most states. If it didnt, hundreds of thousands of cases of self-defense would have had different results after people defended themselves rather than flee.

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/07/20/the-stand-your-ground-law-and-the-zimmerman-trial/

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Again, it wasn't murder, it was self defense. And George Zimmerman was judged innocent and acquitted.

He was not judged innocent.

The jury gave a verdict of not guilty. Big difference.

It means that the jury did not believe the evidence at trial proved the charges beyond their reasonable doubt.

• Like 1

Who had a criminal record:

CBS News March 26, 2012

"Authorities confirmed to the Associated press that Martin did not have a juvenile offender Record"

He was suspended from school because traces of Marijuana were found in an empty plastic baggie in his book bag, Another Suspension was for painting graffiti, a search found a screw driver found women jewelry, the police found that those items were not stolen and returned them to Trayvon . Had another suspension tardiness.

Clear Criminal record School suspension stated nothing else.

George Micheal Zimmerman 2005 arrested for Resisting Officer with Violence and Battery on Law Enforcement Officer.

Veronica Zuazo v, Zimmerman, George M, Domestic violence < Restraining Orders Issued.

Clarification on Adderall: Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine (Methamphetamine) Mixed Salts

Brand Name, Adderall, Adderall XR

Cheers: tongue.png

More nonsense. Adderal is a lot milder stimulant than methamphetamine (speed) and it has the opposite effect on people with ADHD. It calms them down. whistling.gif

It can also have some serious adverse reactions and interfere with rational thought.

However, there is no point discussing the prescriptions in this context because we will never know the truth in respect to the psychiatric illness medications. The police did not take blood samples.

Either the police were complicit, or negligent, or confused Zimmerman's incoherence with shock, or saw no signs of outward impairment. As there was no sample, we are precluded from making a definitive statement on the impact of these drugs. All we know is that Zimmerman was taking some potent medication.

The bigger issue, is how the blazes is someone on a Class II medication allowed to obtain a concealed firearm permit?

I suppose that's a hot topic for the USA. Jurisdictions with an emphasis on prevention and a concern for justice would be asking such questions and wanting to know if the drugs were properly prescribed to Zimmerman. Florida has a bad reputation as the state where controlled drugs are handed out like candy by unethical clinics focused on making profits. Adderall is an expensive drug and the profit margins are high. The emphasis is on the easy issues like guns and racism. The bigger issues that society and commentators don't want to touch is mental illness and the ease with which powerful drugs are handed out.

Off-topic posts deleted.

Zimmerman was found not-guilty.

If you are done discussing this topic rationally, then you are welcome to move on. Continued comments directed at other posters position is going to earn posters a warning.

It can also have some serious adverse reactions and interfere with rational thought.

So can almost any drug, as has been pointed out to you before, but these side effects very rare and there is no evidence at all that it happened here. In fact, the policemen that arrived on the scene found Zimmerman calm and rational.

However, there is no point discussing the prescriptions in this context because we will never know the truth in respect to the psychiatric illness medications. The police did not take blood samples.

Either the police were complicit, or negligent, or confused Zimmerman's incoherence with shock, or saw no signs of outward impairment. As there was no sample, we are precluded from making a definitive statement on the impact of these drugs. All we know is that Zimmerman was taking some potent medication.

The bigger issue, is how the blazes is someone on a Class II medication allowed to obtain a concealed firearm permit?

I suppose that's a hot topic for the USA. Jurisdictions with an emphasis on prevention and a concern for justice would be asking such questions and wanting to know if the drugs were properly prescribed to Zimmerman. Florida has a bad reputation as the state where controlled drugs are handed out like candy by unethical clinics focused on making profits. Adderall is an expensive drug and the profit margins are high. The emphasis is on the easy issues like guns and racism. The bigger issues that society and commentators don't want to touch is mental illness and the ease with which powerful drugs are handed out.

I agree with you totally, for some reason the police were at the best negligent, and failed to properly collect evidence on the case. Requiring Zimmerman to take a blood test, he had just shot a 17 year old kid to death. Zimmerman was not in a position to refuse the test while in police custody for possible charge of manslaughter.

CNN News dated June 22, 2012 In the last 2 paragraphs of the programs transcript States:

"And the investigator expressed doubt that Zimmerman, who has lived in the neighborhood for three years and described himself as the head of the neighborhood watch, did not know the names of the three streets in the subdivision."

"to be honest with you. I have a bad memory anyway," Zimmerman said, adding that he has attention-deficit (hyperactivity) disorder and takes medication for it".

Two very important points were made in those paragraphs

:(1) Zimmerman stated he has always had a Bad Memory. yet his version a the encounter was eventually excepted by the Sanford Police Department as the "Gospel" truth.

(2) Zerino was made aware that Zimmerman was most likely under the influence of prescribed prescription drugs at the time of the killing.

To me that would qualify for "criminal negligence" by officer Zerino, in the improper collection of evidence

At The Trial he testified to a 180 degree position of the doubt he stated in his signed affidavit report of the interview done on the night of the shooting,

Every one has a right to change their mind, but based on excepted police interrogation methods and the fact that he was demoted to street duty, indicates the possibility of pressure from department supervisors.

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman

That murderer Zimmerman has been at it again...

Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of a family of four -- two parents and two children -- trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway in Sanford, Fla. at approximately 5:45 p.m. Thursday, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

From here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-truck-crash-rescue/story?id=19735432

No doubt this was all set up just so he could look good.

(And for those who don't know me or lack the ability to spot sarcasm... YES, this was an attempt at sarcasm.)

It certainly sounds too good to be true. Not saying it isn't.

News from the States wasn't of much interest to me when I lived there, and still isn't. In other words, I'm not taking sides because I don't have sufficient information.

But I have read a few articles on this case, including Obama's comments, and I have yet to find any reliable source that provides any insight as to what Zimmerman did or said that indicates he picked on Martin because of his race.

So I'm wondering, is there a shred of reasonable evidence of any kind that race was involved? Was it introduced at trial?

The killer had a long history of repeated calls to 911 about young black men and boys. Generally, false alarms.

There had been a string of burglaries in his neighborhood and my understanding is the perps were generally young black males.

It's profiling. Some may say justified. Is that racism? Who knows. Profiling is not a crime at least from a civilian. Racist thought is not a crime. MURDER is. The reason Zimmerman will be despised for the rest of his life, and rightly so, is the inconvenient corpse that he created, and so many people don't believe he HAD to create.

Thank you for not only answering, but in some detail. Wonder why no one else did?

Anyway, nothing concrete, because we don't know if any of his calls, though seriously over the top, also reported suspicious behavior by other races. Apparently neither the prosecution nor the defense took a stab at that.

But, by your understanding, numerous burglaries were perpetrated by black males. So really, it may or may not have been the race of the deceased that brought Zimmerman outside, it may have been Zimmerman's being a wanna-be cop, combined with being tired of his neighbors being burglarized.

Should a neighborhood watch volunteer, whose neighbors have been victims of crimes by blacks, upon learning someone suspicious was black, have gone home, afraid of being accused of racism?

Sorry, Jingthing, I'm still not seeing evidence of racism here. Stupidity, yes. Emotional immaturity yes. Inability to make adult decisions, yes. Racism, no.

Listen, if (more like when) a murder is committed by one race against another because of race, I'll be there with you. When James Byrd, Jr. was viciously murdered by being dragged to death over miles of asphalt, I found the whole thing disgusting beyond belief. Shame two of the murderers are still breathing.

But in the meantime, unsubstantiated race baiting, by either side, is divisive and unproductive.

If Trayvon was profiled because he was black, why didn't Zimmerman know for sure he was black when he first spoke to the 911 dispatcher? He did mention there had been a lot of break-ins in his neighborhood and there was someone who looked "really suspicious", on "drugs or something" and looked like they were "up to no good". Zimmerman pointed out that "it's raining and he's just walking around, looking about". That doesn't sound like Trayvon was walking in one direction, towards his father's home. When asked by the dispatcher about his race, Zimmerman said, "he looks black".

The only time Zimmerman knew Trayvon was black was later when Trayvon was coming towards him and Zimmerman said, "Yeah, now he's coming towards me. He has his hand in his waistband and he's a black male".

But it's probably better if you read the transcript and decide for yourself if there was any racist profiling going on:

Zimmerman saw Trayvon and said Trayvon was a "f_cking coon."

Edited by Publicus

But I have read a few articles on this case, including Obama's comments, and I have yet to find any reliable source that provides any

Zimmerman saw Trayvon and said Trayvon was a "xxxxxxx coon."

Actually, sounds like "XXXXXXX cold" when analyzed with high end software that removed the wind noise and enhanced voice. Pretty unmistakeable in sound and consistent with weather and him just getting out of car.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/crime/2012/04/05/ac-tuchman-zimmerman-audio-enhanced.cnn.html#/video/crime/2012/04/05/ac-tuchman-zimmerman-audio-enhanced.cnn

Edited by metisdead

Zimmerman saw Trayvon and said Trayvon was a "xxxxxxx coon."

Trayvon saw Zimmerman and said Zimmerman was a "creepy a__ cracker" (racial slur for those who don't know) then went back to bash him because he thought he might be a gay rapist. According to the sworn testimony of Trayvon's girlfriend, Jeantel.

Edited by metisdead

This thread is old, tired, worn, repetitive, redundant, long past its prime.

Almost all of you have said your piece 40 times over..........and over.......and over..........again.......and again.............................and..............again.

Have you any sense of time or of proportion, or of degree?

Why do you have to repeat yourselves 40 times over, and to one another........there aren't any new posters to this thread. It's the same tired old gang who keep banging away the same old points against the same posters.

Give up the ghost.

My god.

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

• Like 1

As I watched the video that came with the ABC news report of GZimmerman assisting with a car rollover, there followed an ABC News video of George Stephanopolous who asked 2 of GZ's lawyers about a federal civil rights charge, a civil lawsuit by the Martin family, and a possible lawsuit by Zimmerman himself. Answers:

1. Not Likely given results of FBI's investigation of the case to date.

2. Up to the the Martin Family but such a suit "probably wouldn't go anywhere"

3. Possible as charges were only brought due to unwarranted outside pressure after the local authorities did not bring charges.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

People have commented to the fact that the GZ Trial jury contained 6 women all but one (possibly) white. Seminole County has a population of roughly 430,000 of which in 2012 81% are listed as 'White alone'. The jury was chosen according to The Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure at random from a list of eligible Seminole county citizens county wide -- not just in Sanford which tends to have a higher non-whit only population.

As to gender, someone in Florida is considered to be Male or Female; only in Thailand when asking for gender do they give boxes to tick: Male, Female, Other.