Biogents mosquito traps

ross163103

Does any one know anything about Biogents mosquito traps? It's a company out of Germany that sells these traps worldwide. Just curious if they work. Looking at their website the product looks pretty good but just wondering since the traps use some kind of attractant do the traps actually bring more mosquitos into the area than there would be without the trap. Pretty obvious that it would attract them, but guess I was just wondering about the range it works in; don't want to draw in more than are already here.

From what I learned from a YouTube video on the Biogents mosquito trap, it uses ultraviolet light to attract mosquitoes. I bought another brand of ultraviolet trap awhile back, but it didn't trap any mosquitoes. After doing some research, I learned that mosquitoes are NOT attracted to ultraviolet light, but ARE attracted to carbon dioxide.

Here are instructions on how to build a simple cheap trap that is apparently very effective. It was invented by some Taiwanese high school students.

http://www.diyhappy.com/quick-and-dirty-mosquito-trap

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naruwan/151675034/in/photostream/

• Like 1

Thanks for the info SurfRider, I'll check into making some of the cheap alternatives.

I'm not sure what Biogents trap you were looking at on YouTube but all the models I've checked into only use a scent attractant that mimics lactic acid--which is the same as the human skin produces, or Co2 gas, not sure where this gas would be available in Pattaya but need to check before I buy the trap--if I buy one as they're not exactly cheap and you have to keep buying the attractants. I don't think mosquitos are attracted to an ultraviolet light, only Co2 gas which is expelled from humans breath.

Edited by ross163103

My guess is that it's highly doubtful that whatever attractant Biogens uses would be available anywhere in Asia, let alone Pattaya or anywhere in Thailand. You would probably need to import it from Biogens.

The trap I suggested makes its own C02, but needs to be replenished every two weeks to remain active.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have one of their traps that has been operating for one month in a partially enclosed outdoor are that was plagued by mosquitoes. In 4 weeks it has drastically reduced the number, and a look into the collection bag shows a good harvest of corpses.

It uses only a pad that emits a scent that mimics human aromas and runs 24/7. The pad lasts up to two months and replacements can be ordered from Biogents who send by EMS. The complete unit is not small but not too large to be easy to place in an indoor or outdoor area. According to their literature it uses less electricity than a light bulb and I can see no increase in my monthly billing.

From order, through bank transfer, to receipt of the unit took

4 days for delivery to Chiang Mai. I am satisfied with the results so far. It is not possible to totally eliminate these insects but to date I am pleased with the results. My property is in a heavily wooded are that has plenty of stagnant pools at this time of year so is an ideal breeding ground.

Despite the results I still use a repellant that I apply immediately after a shower.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app