Where to get a cheesecake

CiaranO

Yes, either Sara Lee or bake your own. They are very easy to make. Some recipes do not even require baking and are still better than anything you'll get in a restaurant here.

Thai-made cheesecakes are a travesty.

Yes, either Sara Lee or bake your own. They are very easy to make. Some recipes do not even require baking and are still better than anything you'll get in a restaurant here.

Sheryl,

Do you know the quality of the Phuket (foreign and Thai) bakeries?

Yes...make your own. It is very easy to do. Whereas the quality of cheesecakes in Thailand is very poor.

Wrong..!! Some years ago, Consumer Reports tested Cheesecakes from around the world - the even had cheesecake from France, Boston, New York, LA and many points East and West. The taste test had surprising results, as Sara Lee, the frozen Chessecake got best results - 1st place.

Sara Lee is available at Tops, along with a handful of other varieties.

Sheryl,

I've sampled quite a few over the years.

I haven't found a cheesecake in any (nor in Bkk, nor anywhere else in Asia) that is a proper cheesecake by my standards.

But I am from NY so my Cheesecake standards are pretty high,

Fair enough, but to be clear, you're talking about Phuket, right, where you have sampled quite a few over the years?

Sheryl,

I've sampled quite a few over the years.

I haven't found a cheesecake in any (nor in Bkk, nor anywhere else in Asia) that is a proper cheesecake by my standards.

But I am from NY so my Cheesecake standards are pretty high,

Fair enough, but to be clear, you're talking about Phuket, right, where you have sampled quite a few over the years?

Yes. (And everywhere else in Thailand too).

• Like 1

Here's a recipe that I use often, along with a couple of photos of the last one I made about a month ago, a baked lime cheescake with a coconut meringue topping. It's great with a soft fruit sauce, or just plain pouring (whipping) cream.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cheese-recipes/my-nyc-cheesecake

That looks pretty good @jamie oliver recipe at that.

I was trying to help my wife out as she asked me what i wanted for my birthday - my reply was simple " a decent chessecake". The reply of course "where will i get that" is what has caused all the problems.

Here's a recipe that I use often, along with a couple of photos of the last one I made about a month ago, a baked lime cheescake with a coconut meringue topping. It's great with a soft fruit sauce, or just plain pouring (whipping) cream.

I was trying to help my wife out as she asked me what i wanted for my birthday - my reply was simple " a decent chessecake". The reply of course "where will i get that" is what has caused all the problems.

I like the Delish suggestion, think will give it a go this week.

And yes, this thread made my mouth water.

I also read the recipe. What is caster sugar???? I was salivating until I read that part.sad.png

I also read the recipe. <deleted> is caster sugar???? I was salivating until I read that part.sad.png

"A very fine sugar in Britain, so-named because the grains are small enough to fit through a castor, a form of sieve. Commonly used in baking and mixed drinks, it is sold as "superfine" sugar in the United States. Because of its fineness, it dissolves more quickly than regular white sugar, and, so, is especially useful in meringues and cold liquids. Castor sugar can be prepared at home by grinding granulated sugar for a couple of minutes in a food processor."

You can buy caster/castor sugar in Villa Market. Here's a video that's quite good, where there's a couple of slight variations to the recipe (adding chocolate to the base mix, vanilla pod to the cheese mix):

I also read the recipe. What is caster sugar???? I was salivating until I read that part.sad.png

Just a very fine sugar.

Castor or caster sugar is the name of a very fine sugar in Britain, so named because the grains are small enough to fit though a sugar "caster" or sprinkler.

Ah, ok. Maybe I need a chemistry course for this dang pie. I went to Villaski Chalongski last night and bought the Sara Lee version (I have not had it in 15 years) and it was ...... ok.

Will re watch the video and see if I am brave enough to make it.

• Like 1

Ah, ok. Maybe I need a chemistry course for this dang pie. I went to Villaski Chalongski last night and bought the Sara Lee version (I have not had it in 15 years) and it was ...... ok.

Will re watch the video and see if I am brave enough to make it.

It's surprisingly easy, and once you've tried it, you won't want another 'bought in' one.

We tried to cook one at home. It was ok for a first try but we didn't persist that way. The total cost of the cake was ridiculously high compared to a normal cake that can be done with just flour, eggs and some fruits or nuts. Just the imported cheese cream that we found at villa market was more than 300 thb. Can you use only Thai made ingredients for a cheese cake?