Farang Street Scammer in Pattaya

Ling Kae

If you go to York City Centre in good old UK and you will find all sorts of street entertainers, from buskers to people who "grow" to about 4 meters high, jugglers and of course "statue people". Some are quite hilarious, who will stand stock still until some unsuspecting passer-by gets to close and either move or go B-0-0 and frighten the living daylights out of them. I think these, quite often very talented people, can add a certain "character" to a street, but I wander from the topic - I too dislike scammers and feel quite embarassed to see them conning people. To get that down on your luck I think is mainly due to miss management. Nearly everyone should have a "patron" such as a parent/good friend who would be prepared to bail them out in the short term. If not, then they should have a small reserve of cash to get them back to their Country of residence.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I ran into this guy as well, same location. I just started walking fast. I'm rude that way I guess!

Not rude at all- your instincts served you well smile.png

Several years ago -also on Soi Buakao- a guy asked me "Do you speak english?" Then launched into the I lost my wallet routine. I said "Good luck" and kept walking.

He was not pleased...

(But I don't care smile.png )

Edited by Lancelot

Similar scam used to go on at the Don Mueng airport.

People were swarming about asking for 500 baht to leave Thailand as they'd spent all their money.

Yes that happened to me. I was asked at check-in to help fellow passenger, and I did. Then on boarding I noticed he was in Business Class!

Like I said, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Actually, on my very first trip to Thailand in '93, I had no idea that there was a "departure tax" and by the time I got to check-in I was down to my last 25 baht (I had arrived at the airport early and spent most of what I had left on something to eat).

In those days you and your bags went through security screening before getting to the check-in counter and your bags had a security band placed around them. There was no notice about the departure tax anywhere except at the check-in counter itself (yes, I looked afterwards while wandering around trying to figure out how I was going to come up with the cash). No ATMS in those days, and all I had for other currency at the time was Hungarian Forints and Croatian Dinar and the exchange counters wouldn't take either !

A group of German Peace Keepers that were returning home from a tour in Cambodia were having the same problem. Didn't know about the tax, No way to access their pay in Germany, not enough cash. They got lucky, as we were all on Lufthansa, the co-pilot (German of course) paid for their tax, but even though I showed him my UN I.D. (I was on holidays from a peace-keeping tour in Croatia) he wouldn't cover my tax as I wasn't German.

My only option was to try and talk to someone else from the airline. I went back through security (again), waited in line for 10 minutes behind some drunk that had missed his flight and just decided they should put him on this one instead and when I had the chance, I told the clerk I needed to speak to the "manager" as well as I had a problem.

The guy behind me, a little frustrated by this point, asked what the problem was. I explained about not knowing about the tax and being broke. He asked the clerk how much the tax was, and paid for both of us. Of course I thanked him and told him I'd repay him when we landed in Frankfurt (where the Exchange booths would take Hungarian currency) but he told me to forget it.

I did try any ways though. Got to Frankfurt, scurried to the first exchange booth, got some Deutsche Marks and rushed back but he was apparently long gone (one of the advantages of flying Business Class, as I found out in later years, is being able to get off the plane and being long gone before the herd of cattle starts moving).

Lessons learned though. Even in this day and age of Internet and ATMs, I always make sure I have enough cash to get me where I'm going (and back again).

The guy in the OP though ? Yeah, a scammer. Using a lie to con people out of money with the promise of paying it back (and no intention of actually ever doing so) is scamming, not begging.

No doubt the guy is probably broke, doesn't want to (or can't) go home for some reason and can't (legally) work. At 100 baht a person, over the course of a day he is probably raking in a couple thousand on average while getting some exercise and checking out which cuties are working at which bars.

If in doubt, next time you see the guy, tell him you speak Thai (or know someone who does) and can help him get his transfer done quickly. Or, offer to contact his Embassy so they know where he is and that he needs help. Or, tell him that because it has taken so long for his transfer to go through, perhaps he should contact the Thai police (and offer to assist him with that).

Take bets with your friends whether or not all offers of help will be turned down, and see how fast he scurries off when you mention the police.

My plan is, if I get to that age and end up down and out, too broke to afford public toilets and scavenging with the temple dogs for left-over scraps, I'll simply find an old plastic cup (thrown away by some successful beggar no doubt) and sit on Walking Street with a sign that reads "so broke and ugly that even Beach Road "girls" won't go with me !"

After a week I'll have probably "earned" enough to afford a slightly better begging cup, after I've paid for my 4 star hotel, new clothes, daily massages and trips to Ban Chang. whistling.gif

I had the same problem way back in 1980. I had no cash left and i was in the queue and didnt have the departure tax money although i had travellers cheques. The guy behind me paid it for me.I think it happened frequently in those days as many people just forgot or didnt realise you had to pay it seperately.

there used to be one in the sois on sukhumvit in BKK never hannd over anything . mind you i remember the pakistani who came up to me in the street in England and said he only needed a pound for his ticket home to Pakistan ,i gave him a fiver and told him to take four friends with him.smile.png

when I was in India I saw so many Brits scavenging the same way. But they were begging for 100 rupees to smoke some pot or whatever. I think these begging Brits should be locked up for breaking the law and then deported

we have a despicable conman here in NZ that seems to do very well for himself and many people seem to like him even tho is incapable of being honest on any level. His name is john key. Beware of him, dont believe a word he says

• Like 1

plenty of folk saying he is doing no harm, give him the 100 baht!

plenty of folk haven't seen the professional beggars stories, there was one recently where they estimated he collected £50k a year and then went home to his flat in London/Richmond...

go on then...give him your 100 baht whistling.gif

Edited by norrona

Embassy does not help with money. I have read many examples when the Swedes come home from overseas trip and complain that they do not receive any help at the embassy after they have been robbed of everything they have. The embassies do not have the task to lend or give money to someone regardless of citizenship.

Surely they would at the very least issue you a new passport, that is what they are there for? Are you saying they would leave a Swede to be permanently without a passport and wander around Thailand with no means? No help contacting family or other? I don't believe that either. I bet the Consulate Staff would have different opinion on that.

I think most embassies will not help with financial issues. Think about it -- if they helped even

one bloke with a sad story they would be inviting hundreds more to try the same approach.

If you can afford it pay the man 40 baht and walk away . He will not leave LOS anyway until Thai police find out about his expired visa.

I've seen more than a couple of these types over the years and am surprised at how long some of them last. Guess the police generally aren't interested in getting involved as they know there's no real money to be made have a sense of compassion for the unfortunate.

Edited by marell

Silver statue guy in Waikiki (Hawaii) was so popular he now has a hoard of imitators rolleyes.gif There is gold man, Mr. Silver Lame, the laser and feathers gang, and quite a few buskers playing music. Love to see people give a coin and get a wink. Sometimes he will move enough to startle a kid testing his stillness clap2.gif It can all be good fun, unlike seeing the guy with a sad story still out there with the same story you decided to give him the benefit of the doubt about last week.sad.png I hope the foreign street artists inspire some locals, since the foreigners will certainly get moved along by the BIB eventually.cool.png

I dont think he is harming anyone and likely really needs the money. This is hardly a scam.

Maybe not a scam, but dollars to donuts he's making serious coinage out of his activities. Unless he's lazy and has no work ethics, and stops when he's got enough for one meal rather than putting in a full days effort.

A job worth doing is worth doing well.

A few years back, there was a big story in India.

A homeless man was sitting on the door step of a high rise building in the heart of Delhi for years.

People use to give him food and money, and many could not understand why police has not removed him.

When he passed away, it turned out he owned the entire building

And then there was that DC (USA) street beggar. Had his weekdays spot for years and years on a busy office bldgs street.

Disappeared during the rather cold DC winters only to reappear first days of spring.

Nobody knew where he was hiding during the cold months. Didn't tell.

One time didn't show back for the warmer days as usual.

Inquiries were made about this heretofore semi-permanent DC street fixture that everybody seemed to know and like - and give to generously.

He had died in Miami where he owned a nice beachside condo and left behind a sizeable inheritance.

This outrageous DC beggar snowbirding in Miami in wintertime story made the US media at the time.

Edited by jayceenik

I thought scamming was a reserved occupation in Thailand. coffee1.gif

Have you ever seen a Thai selling Timeshare?

And for Real Estate I do not think there is any difference Falang or Thai, I am more inclined to believe a Soi 6 bar girl who says she is still a virgin.

Whatever happened to personal accountability? I went the extra few yards to build a future for my wife and kids. I believe in reaping what you sow. Down on your luck is one of the bigget misnomers going. You make your own luck and take every opportunity presented. If people won't stand on their own two feet then they deserve to live in the gutter. I reserve my charitable works for those who are genuine victims of misfortune such as abandoned or orphaned kids, particularly those who are HIV positive.

post-35987-0-47001200-1374492342_thumb.j

• Like 1

give the poor bloke 100b - what harm can it do ??

The "harm" is that many Thais have to work for a 100b and it's morally repugnant - to me at least - to encourage this "poor guy" to live like a lazy parasite.

but if he works you would be crying to have him arrested for having no work permit Edited by wwex

Embassy does not help with money. I have read many examples when the Swedes come home from overseas trip and complain that they do not receive any help at the embassy after they have been robbed of everything they have. The embassies do not have the task to lend or give money to someone regardless of citizenship.

Surely they would at the very least issue you a new passport, that is what they are there for? Are you saying they would leave a Swede to be permanently without a passport and wander around Thailand with no means? No help contacting family or other? I don't believe that either. I bet the Consulate Staff would have different opinion on that.
I know an English guy in the same situation, no money, overstay, family dont realize the seriousness of his situation, he plays guitar in the street for money. hes been to the british embassy several times, they tell him to hand himself in to immigration, hes even been to the police station several times and said hes an overstayer and they just tell him to go away Edited by wwex

I dont think he is harming anyone and likely really needs the money. This is hardly a scam.

Maybe not a scam, but dollars to donuts he's making serious coinage out of his activities. Unless he's lazy and has no work ethics, and stops when he's got enough for one meal rather than putting in a full days effort.

A job worth doing is worth doing well.

A few years back, there was a big story in India.

A homeless man was sitting on the door step of a high rise building in the heart of Delhi for years.

People use to give him food and money, and many could not understand why police has not removed him.

When he passed away, it turned out he owned the entire building

And then there was that DC (USA) street beggar. Had his weekdays spot for years and years on a busy office bldgs street.

Disappeared during the rather cold DC winters only to reappear first days of spring.

Nobody knew where he was hiding during the cold months. Didn't tell.

One time didn't show back for the warmer days as usual.

Inquiries were made about this heretofore semi-permanent DC street fixture that everybody seemed to know and like - and give to generously.

He had died in Miami where he owned a nice beachside condo and left behind a sizeable inheritance.

This outrageous DC beggar snowbirding in Miami in wintertime story made the US media at the time.

There are many stories like this, in Sydney was a woman who lived on the street and was fed by people, but when she died, they found over 1 million dollars in her mattress.

The Indian guy was the big deal, because that building from memory was worth something like 80 million dollars or some crazy amount close to it. It was the sky scrapper in the heart of New Delhi

Is it totally inconceivable that something unexpected has happened rendering these people penniless/homeless? It happens all over the world. When I worked in both NYC and London I'd often give some loose change. Why does it have to be a scam? I've only been living here 7 months so maybe I am missing something? Also, genuine question, Does it follow that the 'your' embassy has to help if you are destitute?

Perhaps you are missing the fact that the OP said the scrounger was waiting for funds due in 5 hours. Six weeks later he is either in the same situation or he underestimated the 5 hours. That is what makes it sound like a scam to me......

I also gave some guy 100 baht at Ekamai as he didn't quite have enough for the bus to Pattaya.

And on another forum a guy was played with the 'awaiting funds' line for substantially more Baht...... twice.

Precisely. Earlier today 5 Thai people spent 20 minutes washing my car for 100B and did it with a smile and a wai.

Why does some shiftless farang good-for-nothing loser deserve to get the same sum for doing sod-all?

Maybe before rushing to insult the guy, and call him derogatory names, we should learn his circumstances. But we don't, cos that would require empathy.

Maybe he is down on his luck, maybe he isn't well. That guy does not pester or annoy anybody. Keep walking, and don't give him anything, if you disapprove. But live and let live. That guy does no harm to you, me, or anybody else.

Why is it so hard to be kind to each other?

that's EXACTLY what he's doing: pestering & annoying people.

when complete strangers ask me for money, they annoy me greatly.

generally speaking, i prefer not to have to say 'no' to people.

so when they back me into a corner, i resent them for it.

i'd rather starve than beg

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in weird fonts thank you
  • Like 2

Actually, on my very first trip to Thailand in '93, I had no idea that there was a "departure tax" and by the time I got to check-in I was down to my last 25 baht (I had arrived at the airport early and spent most of what I had left on something to eat).

In those days you and your bags went through security screening before getting to the check-in counter and your bags had a security band placed around them. There was no notice about the departure tax anywhere except at the check-in counter itself (yes, I looked afterwards while wandering around trying to figure out how I was going to come up with the cash). No ATMS in those days, and all I had for other currency at the time was Hungarian Forints and Croatian Dinar and the exchange counters wouldn't take either !

A group of German Peace Keepers that were returning home from a tour in Cambodia were having the same problem. Didn't know about the tax, No way to access their pay in Germany, not enough cash. They got lucky, as we were all on Lufthansa, the co-pilot (German of course) paid for their tax, but even though I showed him my UN I.D. (I was on holidays from a peace-keeping tour in Croatia) he wouldn't cover my tax as I wasn't German.

My only option was to try and talk to someone else from the airline. I went back through security (again), waited in line for 10 minutes behind some drunk that had missed his flight and just decided they should put him on this one instead and when I had the chance, I told the clerk I needed to speak to the "manager" as well as I had a problem.

The guy behind me, a little frustrated by this point, asked what the problem was. I explained about not knowing about the tax and being broke. He asked the clerk how much the tax was, and paid for both of us. Of course I thanked him and told him I'd repay him when we landed in Frankfurt (where the Exchange booths would take Hungarian currency) but he told me to forget it.

I did try any ways though. Got to Frankfurt, scurried to the first exchange booth, got some Deutsche Marks and rushed back but he was apparently long gone (one of the advantages of flying Business Class, as I found out in later years, is being able to get off the plane and being long gone before the herd of cattle starts moving).

Lessons learned though. Even in this day and age of Internet and ATMs, I always make sure I have enough cash to get me where I'm going (and back again).

The guy in the OP though ? Yeah, a scammer. Using a lie to con people out of money with the promise of paying it back (and no intention of actually ever doing so) is scamming, not begging.

No doubt the guy is probably broke, doesn't want to (or can't) go home for some reason and can't (legally) work. At 100 baht a person, over the course of a day he is probably raking in a couple thousand on average while getting some exercise and checking out which cuties are working at which bars.

If in doubt, next time you see the guy, tell him you speak Thai (or know someone who does) and can help him get his transfer done quickly. Or, offer to contact his Embassy so they know where he is and that he needs help. Or, tell him that because it has taken so long for his transfer to go through, perhaps he should contact the Thai police (and offer to assist him with that).

Take bets with your friends whether or not all offers of help will be turned down, and see how fast he scurries off when you mention the police.

My plan is, if I get to that age and end up down and out, too broke to afford public toilets and scavenging with the temple dogs for left-over scraps, I'll simply find an old plastic cup (thrown away by some successful beggar no doubt) and sit on Walking Street with a sign that reads "so broke and ugly that even Beach Road "girls" won't go with me !"

After a week I'll have probably "earned" enough to afford a slightly better begging cup, after I've paid for my 4 star hotel, new clothes, daily massages and trips to Ban Chang. whistling.gif

Kerryd, thanks for that well balanced story. That is why I gave the guy a 100 baht in the first place, I am actually quite a compassionate person and then I caught him out. To those that haven't read the whole thread he did make a promise to repay me "if I ever see you again" he said. Well he did see me again, same old story, same old lies and no repayment, just wanted another 100 baht.

Kerry, your airport story is about as honest it gets, you were just caught out without knowing. It's a good thing that guy behind you helped you out, well done on trying to pay him back, good man. clap2.gif

Precisely. Earlier today 5 Thai people spent 20 minutes washing my car for 100B and did it with a smile and a wai.

Why does some shiftless farang good-for-nothing loser deserve to get the same sum for doing sod-all?

Maybe before rushing to insult the guy, and call him derogatory names, we should learn his circumstances. But we don't, cos that would require empathy.

Maybe he is down on his luck, maybe he isn't well. That guy does not pester or annoy anybody. Keep walking, and don't give him anything, if you disapprove. But live and let live. That guy does no harm to you, me, or anybody else.

Agree 100, valgehiir must be living in a dream world.

This guy approached me and his courteous approach got my attention. Once the punch-line came in with a request for money, I just said "sorry pal" and walked off.

It did leave me feeling slightly intimidated/uncomfortable.

How can they back you into the corner?

How can they back you into the corner?

no, fair question.

some folks need a play by play.

if i was explaining this in person, i'd speak slowly.

being backed into a corner refers to being forced to take an action i generally avoid.

in this case, telling people 'no'.

i like to treat people with courtesy & respect.

sometimes, that's a luxury i can't afford.

i wouldn't dream of going up to complete strangers, interrupting them & then begging for succor.

it's disrespectful, obnoxious & pathetic.

being allegedly short of funds is the least of many beggar's problems:being devoid of self respect & dignity should be of far greater concern.

imo

-snip-

You say you like to treat people with courtesy and respect.

Suggesting your opinion needs to be explained to 'some folks' slowly, and play by play, is courteous and respectful, you think?

• Like 1

I once met a Dansih guy in Sukhumvit like that. Came up with some sob story about his bag being stolen from under his feet at Suvarnabhum (he had just arrived apparently - in his flip flops, vest, and Billaboong shorts too facepalm.gif). He was determined that a few quid wouldn't be enough and wanted 'a few hundred dollars'. I was supposed to believe that if he gave me his passport, he had to return the money. cheesy.gif

there used to be one in the sois on sukhumvit in BKK never hannd over anything . mind you i remember the pakistani who came up to me in the street in England and said he only needed a pound for his ticket home to Pakistan ,i gave him a fiver and told him to take four friends with him.smile.png

Gosh arnt we terrible ,32 likes ,shows what us Brits think of immegrants to our country,especially the ones who follow a certain faith.whistling.gif

Here's a prediction for the next scam.

Three Indian chaps will approach you and say "Kind Sir, can you help, we have no money. We just have massage from ladyboy on bed and........"

• Like 2

-snip-

You say you like to treat people with courtesy and respect.

Suggesting your opinion needs to be explained to 'some folks' slowly, and play by play, is courteous and respectful, you think?

when peeps have a dig at me, i respond in kind.

if i was mistaken, and Lemoncake really needed a clarification as to what being backed into a corner means, well i stand chastened.

mortified.

admonished.

2 further points come 2 mind:

1. breathe, Valgehiir, breathe. loosen your tie.

2. is english your 1st language?

damn! have i gone & done it again? damn u PC, navigating the modern world is just fraught with propriety pitfalls...

I would have given him the benefit of the doubt and helped him first time, and thereafter just smiled and said you already got me mate. You need to remember who helped you before or they may start a thread about you on thaivisa.

Further posts in non standard fonts will be removed.

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.