Farang Street Scammer in Pattaya

Ling Kae

While living in Mexico I bought a man a meal, Mexican, he said he was short of money, this was in Taxco where I lived.

2 years later I was on a bus going to Taxco from Mexico City, the bus stopped for a pee, I had a smoke and saw a fellow approaching on foot down the highway, he started waving at me. When he was close enough, I recognized him, the fellow that I had bought a meal for 2 years previously.

He thanked me again. He recognized me a long time before I knew who he was, I just saw some guy waving at me.....

Edited by Colabamumbai

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he is in fact mentally unfit, he sure ain't stupid.

Probably spends 3 or 4 hours scrounging 100B off a dozen or more Falangs, retires for a leisurely meal and coffee on the beach (he doesn't drink alcohol apparently), select the best looking Coconut Bar girl and wander off to his 500B/day apartment for a short interlude, chase a few balloons for his evening meal, and still has change for breakfast in the morning.

Tough life - I should be so lucky!facepalm.gif

You can always do the samethumbsup.gif

Pattaya has many soi's, hopefully you will not have to have turf warlaugh.png

Many a true thing said in jest. I am definitely considering a career change. I'm just concerned that speaking with a Sith Efrikin accent is part of the job description. blink.png

Probably spends 3 or 4 hours scrounging 100B off a dozen or more Falangs, retires for a leisurely meal and coffee on the beach (he doesn't drink alcohol apparently), select the best looking Coconut Bar girl and wander off to his 500B/day apartment for a short interlude, chase a few balloons for his evening meal, and still has change for breakfast in the morning.

Many a true thing said in jest. I am definitely considering a career change. I'm just concerned that speaking with a Sith Efrikin accent is part of the job description. blink.png

Stick to basics, Scouse or Geordie accents it should do the jobtongue.png

• Like 1

Stick to basics, Scouse or Geordie accents it should do the jobtongue.png

Get real!! if I try a Scouser or Geordie accent nobody will understand me - I'll starve. I'm still confused as to how the Thais can understand Scousers, Geordies, Glaswegians, and the Irish....I have to listen really hard to understand!!

Us Kiwis are the only ones that speak proper English. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Embassy does not help with money. I have read many examples when the Swedes come home from overseas trip and complain that they do not receive any help at the embassy after they have been robbed of everything they have. The embassies do not have the task to lend or give money to someone regardless of citizenship.

Surely they would at the very least issue you a new passport, that is what they are there for? Are you saying they would leave a Swede to be permanently without a passport and wander around Thailand with no means? No help contacting family or other? I don't believe that either. I bet the Consulate Staff would have different opinion on that.

Read my post, I talked about money. Of course they help to obtain a new passport.

Get real!! if I try a Scouser or Geordie accent nobody will understand me - I'll starve. I'm still confused as to how the Thais can understand Scousers, Geordies, Glaswegians, and the Irish....I have to listen really hard to understand!!

You mean Baaahhh.giggle.gifgiggle.gif

post-157118-0-37033700-1374466100_thumb.

Edited by lemoncake

Forgive me but it seems to me that this is just a guy down on his luck. I wouldn't exactly call him a scammer, that is a term reserved for people who try to clean out your bank account or like the guy in the same area who once tried to distract me at the atm meanwhile trying to steal my card from the machine. At worst the guy is a bum and just tapped you for 100 thb.I think you're over reacting.

• Like 2

Similar scam used to go on at the Don Mueng airport.

People were swarming about asking for 500 baht to leave Thailand as they'd spent all their money.

Yes that happened to me. I was asked at check-in to help fellow passenger, and I did. Then on boarding I noticed he was in Business Class!

You're lucky he wasn't the pilot.

Far as I know Ryanair don't fly into Don Mueng

attachicon.gifsheep.jpg

You're confusing Kiwis with Orstraylins. Baaaaahhhh is considered to be foreplay in the western isles.

• Like 2

I dont think he is harming anyone and likely really needs the money. This is hardly a scam.

Maybe not a scam, but dollars to donuts he's making serious coinage out of his activities. Unless he's lazy and has no work ethics, and stops when he's got enough for one meal rather than putting in a full days effort.

A job worth doing is worth doing well.

attachicon.gifsheep.jpg

You're confusing Kiwis with Orstraylins. Baaaaahhhh is considered to be foreplay in the western isles.

A drink to thatthumbsup.gif

post-157118-0-03094400-1374467439_thumb.

• Like 1

This South African guy tried the same story on me in Soi Bakhou 5 months ago.

To those that say he is not a scammer I would say that anyone who concocts a false story to try to obtain money out of strangers is a scammer. A beggar just asks for money outright.

• Like 2

To those that say he is not a scammer I would say that anyone who concocts a false story to try to obtain money out of strangers is a scammer. A beggar just asks for money outright.

Scammer is someone who promises or offers something in return but does not deliver or delivers an inferior service/product.

He does not promise you anything in return.

No different to someone asking to "borrow' a cigarette or a lighter. They surely are not planning to give back that cig, nor are they able to give back lighter with same amount of gas

• Like 1

Would rather give the 100 Baht to a disabled Thai street beggar.

A farang not being able to survive for 5 hours without 100 Baht - this is ridiculous, if he has not the foresight to have an emergency cushion of money to allow for delays in fund transfers then he is a fool and would benefit from a lesson in poverty.

Not a quality tourist that should walk the streets even if his visa etc is in order. Should become the focus of attention of TPVs.

Scammer is someone who promises or offers something in return but does not deliver or delivers an inferior service/product.

He does not promise you anything in return.

No different to someone asking to "borrow' a cigarette or a lighter. They surely are not planning to give back that cig, nor are they able to give back lighter with same amount of gas

Our definitions differ, but I stand by my original statement.

People were swarming about asking for 500 baht to leave Thailand as they'd spent all their money.

Yes that happened to me. I was asked at check-in to help fellow passenger, and I did. Then on boarding I noticed he was in Business Class!

Like I said, a fool and his money are soon parted.

So what's the deal with the Filipino girls in Jomtiem asking for money for some charity - there's no way that it can be legit.

And as for the dodgy "ladyboy" that walks around Jomtien holding out a big drinking cup begging for money - he should learn not to extend the cup when he's got three bags of food in the other hand.

there used to be one in the sois on sukhumvit in BKK never hannd over anything . mind you i remember the pakistani who came up to me in the street in England and said he only needed a pound for his ticket home to Pakistan ,i gave him a fiver and told him to take four friends with him.smile.png

Not a fool and his money this time. Is that me suspended now for being"racist"?

This man is a South African approximately 6 feet tall or about 185 cm. Mostly on soi Buakhow but I have seen him on soi Chaiyapoon as well. Be warned he is still waiting for that funds transfer 6 weeks later, he is a scammer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So if you anyhow is giving a description of this guy, why not describe the most obvious????? Is he black or a white guy

from South-Africa???? is it so unpolite nowadays that you cannot use the colour of your skin to identify a human being, is that wrong???

People are really strange...

Glegolo

There is nothing wrong with describing anyone as black, white, brown, yellow, you can also describe them as IC1, 2 etc.

I dont think he is harming anyone and likely really needs the money. This is hardly a scam.

Ok

Perhaps you should give us your address and should any of us get accosted by the Springbok we can send him around your place

"I want to bring to everyones attention that there is a farang scammer in the sois of Pattaya."

Only one? What about all the ones looking for investment partners, or who "work" as real estate agents, club/bar/cafe/b&b owners etc?

The streets of Thailand are paved with losers and deception, not gold and good intentions.

I'd say it a mixture of all four. Otherwise I wouldn't/couldn't live here.

• Like 1

Actually, on my very first trip to Thailand in '93, I had no idea that there was a "departure tax" and by the time I got to check-in I was down to my last 25 baht (I had arrived at the airport early and spent most of what I had left on something to eat).

In those days you and your bags went through security screening before getting to the check-in counter and your bags had a security band placed around them. There was no notice about the departure tax anywhere except at the check-in counter itself (yes, I looked afterwards while wandering around trying to figure out how I was going to come up with the cash). No ATMS in those days, and all I had for other currency at the time was Hungarian Forints and Croatian Dinar and the exchange counters wouldn't take either !

A group of German Peace Keepers that were returning home from a tour in Cambodia were having the same problem. Didn't know about the tax, No way to access their pay in Germany, not enough cash. They got lucky, as we were all on Lufthansa, the co-pilot (German of course) paid for their tax, but even though I showed him my UN I.D. (I was on holidays from a peace-keeping tour in Croatia) he wouldn't cover my tax as I wasn't German.

My only option was to try and talk to someone else from the airline. I went back through security (again), waited in line for 10 minutes behind some drunk that had missed his flight and just decided they should put him on this one instead and when I had the chance, I told the clerk I needed to speak to the "manager" as well as I had a problem.

The guy behind me, a little frustrated by this point, asked what the problem was. I explained about not knowing about the tax and being broke. He asked the clerk how much the tax was, and paid for both of us. Of course I thanked him and told him I'd repay him when we landed in Frankfurt (where the Exchange booths would take Hungarian currency) but he told me to forget it.

I did try any ways though. Got to Frankfurt, scurried to the first exchange booth, got some Deutsche Marks and rushed back but he was apparently long gone (one of the advantages of flying Business Class, as I found out in later years, is being able to get off the plane and being long gone before the herd of cattle starts moving).

Lessons learned though. Even in this day and age of Internet and ATMs, I always make sure I have enough cash to get me where I'm going (and back again).

The guy in the OP though ? Yeah, a scammer. Using a lie to con people out of money with the promise of paying it back (and no intention of actually ever doing so) is scamming, not begging.

No doubt the guy is probably broke, doesn't want to (or can't) go home for some reason and can't (legally) work. At 100 baht a person, over the course of a day he is probably raking in a couple thousand on average while getting some exercise and checking out which cuties are working at which bars.

If in doubt, next time you see the guy, tell him you speak Thai (or know someone who does) and can help him get his transfer done quickly. Or, offer to contact his Embassy so they know where he is and that he needs help. Or, tell him that because it has taken so long for his transfer to go through, perhaps he should contact the Thai police (and offer to assist him with that).

Take bets with your friends whether or not all offers of help will be turned down, and see how fast he scurries off when you mention the police.

My plan is, if I get to that age and end up down and out, too broke to afford public toilets and scavenging with the temple dogs for left-over scraps, I'll simply find an old plastic cup (thrown away by some successful beggar no doubt) and sit on Walking Street with a sign that reads "so broke and ugly that even Beach Road "girls" won't go with me !"

After a week I'll have probably "earned" enough to afford a slightly better begging cup, after I've paid for my 4 star hotel, new clothes, daily massages and trips to Ban Chang. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Actually, on my very first trip to Thailand in '93, I had no idea that there was a "departure tax" and by the time I got to check-in I was down to my last 25 baht (I had arrived at the airport early and spent most of what I had left on something to eat).

In those days you and your bags went through security screening before getting to the check-in counter and your bags had a security band placed around them. There was no notice about the departure tax anywhere except at the check-in counter itself (yes, I looked afterwards while wandering around trying to figure out how I was going to come up with the cash). No ATMS in those days, and all I had for other currency at the time was Hungarian Forints and Croatian Dinar and the exchange counters wouldn't take either !

A group of German Peace Keepers that were returning home from a tour in Cambodia were having the same problem. Didn't know about the tax, No way to access their pay in Germany, not enough cash. They got lucky, as we were all on Lufthansa, the co-pilot (German of course) paid for their tax, but even though I showed him my UN I.D. (I was on holidays from a peace-keeping tour in Croatia) he wouldn't cover my tax as I wasn't German.

My only option was to try and talk to someone else from the airline. I went back through security (again), waited in line for 10 minutes behind some drunk that had missed his flight and just decided they should put him on this one instead and when I had the chance, I told the clerk I needed to speak to the "manager" as well as I had a problem.

The guy behind me, a little frustrated by this point, asked what the problem was. I explained about not knowing about the tax and being broke. He asked the clerk how much the tax was, and paid for both of us. Of course I thanked him and told him I'd repay him when we landed in Frankfurt (where the Exchange booths would take Hungarian currency) but he told me to forget it.

I did try any ways though. Got to Frankfurt, scurried to the first exchange booth, got some Deutsche Marks and rushed back but he was apparently long gone (one of the advantages of flying Business Class, as I found out in later years, is being able to get off the plane and being long gone before the herd of cattle starts moving).

Lessons learned though. Even in this day and age of Internet and ATMs, I always make sure I have enough cash to get me where I'm going (and back again).

The guy in the OP though ? Yeah, a scammer. Using a lie to con people out of money with the promise of paying it back (and no intention of actually ever doing so) is scamming, not begging.

No doubt the guy is probably broke, doesn't want to (or can't) go home for some reason and can't (legally) work. At 100 baht a person, over the course of a day he is probably raking in a couple thousand on average while getting some exercise and checking out which cuties are working at which bars.

If in doubt, next time you see the guy, tell him you speak Thai (or know someone who does) and can help him get his transfer done quickly. Or, offer to contact his Embassy so they know where he is and that he needs help. Or, tell him that because it has taken so long for his transfer to go through, perhaps he should contact the Thai police (and offer to assist him with that).

Take bets with your friends whether or not all offers of help will be turned down, and see how fast he scurries off when you mention the police.

My plan is, if I get to that age and end up down and out, too broke to afford public toilets and scavenging with the temple dogs for left-over scraps, I'll simply find an old plastic cup (thrown away by some successful beggar no doubt) and sit on Walking Street with a sign that reads "so broke and ugly that even Beach Road "girls" won't go with me !"

After a week I'll have probably "earned" enough to afford a slightly better begging cup, after I've paid for my 4 star hotel, new clothes, daily massages and trips to Ban Chang. whistling.gif

Yes, I remember the departure tax, although it does not apply to you, I still think some people would take advantage so they would not have to pay it.