CBR 250 Causing Shoulder Pain ?

KRS1

The first week of riding my CBR and I noticed shoulder pains but as my body became used to the riding position the pain went away.

Also I wear gloves as I tend to get sunburnt very easily, 20 minutes without gloves and my hands are redder than a ripe tomato.

• Like 1

I got robbloks cbr, only thing i notice is my hands go dead after about 30 mins but loosening my grip brings the feeling back or when sitting in front at the lights i just put my hands on the top of the tank.

The stock grips are crap.

I changed mine to Ride It (I think that's the name) for 300-400b, much better. The main thing is to wear gloves. The stock grips are murder on naked hands.

Dont think it has the stock grips ..rob must have changed them but will have a look around to see whats available, Also it has rearsets, i guess that puts more weight on the hands,

On the day rob picked his kawasaki up i went for a ride on it, It has to be said that the kawasaki is just more ergonomic in many ways not only the riding position but all controls just felt in the right place, Even when parking i did,nt have to glance down to see where the side stand was and i really did,nt notice the clutch being heavy,

I love the small farting noises it sometimes makes when closing the gascheesy.gif

Edited by tingtongfarang

I got robbloks cbr, only thing i notice is my hands go dead after about 30 mins but loosening my grip brings the feeling back or when sitting in front at the lights i just put my hands on the top of the tank.

I changed mine to Ride It (I think that's the name) for 300-400b, much better. The main thing is to wear gloves. The stock grips are murder on naked hands.

yea i agree,

i have to put gloves on all the time.did you get the grips on the net or a shop?

cheers kelvin.

I bought them from Sumet.

I got full waffle pro tapers i brought from the states, very sticky and soft.

It's like holding onto bubble gum, recommended !

OP - if you think it's definitely the bike as opposed to your physical condition, then try most of the options that have already been posted.

Additionally, you could get hold of some multi adjustable racing clip-ons that can be adjusted in every direction - it could be the up/down angle causing grief, even though you can adjust in/out on the standard ones.

Maybe you need to mount them higher or lower on the forks to change the overall height position. I'm not familiar with the CBR setup, but you can get adapters for most bikes that let you raise or lower them if the triple-tree is in the way, or if putting them under the tree is too low.

I'd also suggest that you play around with the angles of the brake and clutch levers, especially if you alter your clip-on angle. I see many bikes with levers set at all sorts of weird angles that are both unsafe, and must be uncomfortable to use. If you have to raise or lower your fingers to "reach" for them, they're in the wrong position and may cause pain.

Also, try changing the bar-end weights to a heavier or lighter set. I had a GSXR1000K2 that had a vibration resonance (harmonics) in the clip-ons at my regular cruising speed that made both hands and lower forearms go numb from the vibrations. I changed the weights and the resonance went away. It's feasible that you have a resonance but aren't aware of it.

Try getting a shorty clutch lever - this forces two finger usage and they're less onerous on the forearm.

Have you got the rear-sets in the best position for your comfort and riding style? This could be impacting on your seating position and causing shoulder pain.

Try wearing a kidney belt and see if that arrests the pain. Most of us tend to slouch overly much on sportsbikes. A belt will keep your back straighter and take the weight off your shoulders and arms.

When braking or clutching, have as much weight as possible off your arms. Use your knees and lower abdomen. This takes pressure of your shoulders/arms, and will give you improved braking performance by lowering the angle of the weight transfer to the forks.

Sorry for the long post.

great post man, i just noticed my left bar end weight is missing.

but previously my left arm was aching when both bar ends were intact.

im going to mess around with the front lever position, thanks for reminding me about that ! wai.gif

^ Opposite I think. N650 is more upright, but heavier clutch so gets painful when in heavy traffic.

The ninja is more upright.. but the clutch is heavier and in a traffic jam is not fun. Otherwise no problems of course.
Robblok, all that work in the gym and still can't handle the clutch on a 650 twin? :)

Just kidding, but my gsxr is fine in Bangkok so maybe you need to lube the cables or just stick it in third and time the movements in the traffic a bit better...

Maybe his hands don't get the same workout others get.

:blink:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

^ Opposite I think. N650 is more upright, but heavier clutch so gets painful when in heavy traffic.

The ninja is more upright.. but the clutch is heavier and in a traffic jam is not fun. Otherwise no problems of course.
Robblok, all that work in the gym and still can't handle the clutch on a 650 twin? smile.png

Just kidding, but my gsxr is fine in Bangkok so maybe you need to lube the cables or just stick it in third and time the movements in the traffic a bit better...

blink.png

I found out my problem i just use the clutch too much it comes from the days i was still riding 2 stroke bikes back in The Netherlands. 50cc ones ages ago but old habits die hard. I always squeezed the clutch there when i wanted to roll towards something because these things would stall easy. Today I just used the clutch less consciously and I did not have a problem anymore. Was just using the clutch too much.

Robblok, all that work in the gym and still can't handle the clutch on a 650 twin? :)

:blink:

Lowering the tone again huh Dave? With those kind of 'witty' innuendos you'll be right at home in the bar scene if you ever manage to get your shit together enough to actually move here :)

Back to the serious posters, some good suggestions on the thread especially the one regarding lever position. Something else to consider, I also found I was starting to favour one shoulder over the other after a couple of shoulder dislocations on one side, I was kind of riding lop sided without noticing it and it took me a couple of months to break the habit.

Robblok, all that work in the gym and still can't handle the clutch on a 650 twin? smile.png

blink.png

Lowering the tone again huh Dave? With those kind of 'witty' innuendos you'll be right at home in the bar scene if you ever manage to get your shit together enough to actually move here smile.png

Back to the serious posters, some good suggestions on the thread especially the one regarding lever position. Something else to consider, I also found I was starting to favour one shoulder over the other after a couple of shoulder dislocations on one side, I was kind of riding lop sided without noticing it and it took me a couple of months to break the habit.

Awful hypocritical of you to say something obviously in jest and then get offended when the joke is flipped....

Unless...

(since you obviously want to speculate on personal details)

It struck too close to home. The fact that you immediately made the connection between my innocuous comment (AFAIK robblok lives in the city and doesn't make the long trips that others do and he posts more in the other forums indicating a not overt fascination with two wheeled transportation) and the bar scene would indicate that perhaps your hands receive a different workout than I was talking about...

But yes; back to the thread. As I have posted in other threads, it's easy enough to find lead weights that can be melted down and poured into the stripped bars (you don't want to be melting your grips or controls). The bikes that aren't tubes end to end work the best.

You know KRS the cbr250 is pretty mild seating position wise

but I know from your posts you take some long rides.

One thing I can say is riding anything a bike,a car or even a desk is you need

to change it up. Every so often you need to just bend,stretch,move around.

I almost can guarantee your problem is not related to bike brand at all. But your probably just

not noticing how long your holding a position. Next time during your ride try to remember every so often

do some shoulder shrugs, move your stomach in & out to flex your lower back, stick your leg out one at a time

like GP riders do when entering a corner but in your case anytime & not as a corner reposition.

I bet if you remember to do this after your next ride you will not have pain.

Unless of course you already have damage that needs to heal & your inflaming it each ride

Dave, if you've run out of pants to sniff then please find another outlet for your frustrations rather than speculating on this subject any more, it's not really appropriate for the bike forum smile.png

Some excellent advice from Mania, moving around on the bike is an really good way to avoid fatigue. Not always easy in tight traffic but much easier on a long run. I try and do some light stretches when I stop for gas as well, although I try and do this discretely as the Thai gas attendants find it amusing and more importantly I'm never sure if Dave is lurking behind a tree somewhere rolleyes.giflaugh.png

You know KRS the cbr250 is pretty mild seating position wise

but I know from your posts you take some long rides.

One thing I can say is riding anything a bike,a car or even a desk is you need

to change it up. Every so often you need to just bend,stretch,move around.

I almost can guarantee your problem is not related to bike brand at all. But your probably just

not noticing how long your holding a position. Next time during your ride try to remember every so often

do some shoulder shrugs, move your stomach in & out to flex your lower back, stick your leg out one at a time

like GP riders do when entering a corner but in your case anytime & not as a corner reposition.

I bet if you remember to do this after your next ride you will not have pain.

Unless of course you already have damage that needs to heal & your inflaming it each ride

I actually do that all the time, sometimes i look like a freak when i make uturns around the moat, knee down like a GP rider...lol..kicking my feet out like theyre on fire, and leading into a turn with the inside elbow.

I do really think its from jogging 2 hours a day, my arms are pretty much in the same position while running, then when i get on the bike they are pretty much hanging on to the bars for another hour ( i like to cruise around after jogging). Im going to flap my arms around when i jog and see if that helps. This happened last time i got serious about running also. So i think your right, but i think its from running.

Took a close look at the brake lever today, its about an centimeter higher than the clutch, will see if that makes a difference.

Getting old, maybe i need to spray some chainlube in my armpit or something.

Dave, if you've run out of pants to sniff then please find another outlet for your frustrations rather than speculating on this subject any more, it's not really appropriate for the bike forum smile.png

Some excellent advice from Mania, moving around on the bike is an really good way to avoid fatigue. Not always easy in tight traffic but much easier on a long run. I try and do some light stretches when I stop for gas as well, although I try and do this discretely as the Thai gas attendants find it amusing and more importantly I'm never sure if Dave is lurking behind a tree somewhere rolleyes.giflaugh.png

Youd know if it was Dave because his body would be protuding from each side of the tree when standing behind it. He'd also be punching something into his calculator giving off a strange noise.

• Like 1

A lot of riders rely too much on their arms to support themselves while riding casually on small & large sportbikes. If you build up your core strength it will help yield a lighter touch on your controls. Though while trying to achieve any noticeable improvement with any new training, your body will resist. The benefits will soon happen. smile.png

Edited by Garry
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, if you've run out of pants to sniff then please find another outlet for your frustrations rather than speculating on this subject any more, it's not really appropriate for the bike forum Posted Image

Some excellent advice from Mania, moving around on the bike is an really good way to avoid fatigue. Not always easy in tight traffic but much easier on a long run. I try and do some light stretches when I stop for gas as well, although I try and do this discretely as the Thai gas attendants find it amusing and more importantly I'm never sure if Dave is lurking behind a tree somewhere Posted Image Posted Image

Now Tony is conspicuously absent you intend to take up the mantle for snide remarks and verbal outbursts for perceived slights along with general trolling by resorting that personal attacks when you have nothing substantial to add?

You're off to a good start.

Dave, if you've run out of pants to sniff then please find another outlet for your frustrations rather than speculating on this subject any more, it's not really appropriate for the bike forum Posted Image

Some excellent advice from Mania, moving around on the bike is an really good way to avoid fatigue. Not always easy in tight traffic but much easier on a long run. I try and do some light stretches when I stop for gas as well, although I try and do this discretely as the Thai gas attendants find it amusing and more importantly I'm never sure if Dave is lurking behind a tree somewhere Posted Image Posted Image

Youd know if it was Dave because his body would be protuding from each side of the tree when standing behind it. He'd also be punching something into his calculator giving off a strange noise.

And I assume you've taking jonny's place as the yammering lapdog?

If you're trying to get a rise by cracking wise on my weight, perhaps remembering that I already joke about it would have someone with a modicum of intelligence realise such schoolboy insults do not bother me. Why should I be offended that not having to live on a diet of Mama noodles results in a larger waist line?

Now Tony is conspicuously absent you intend to take up the mantle for snide remarks and verbal outbursts for perceived slights along with general trolling by resorting that personal attacks when you have nothing substantial to add?

You're off to a good start.

And I assume you've taking jonny's place as the yammering lapdog?

If you're trying to get a rise by cracking wise on my weight, perhaps remembering that I already joke about it would have someone with a modicum of intelligence realise such schoolboy insults do not bother me. Why should I be offended that not having to live on a diet of Mama noodles results in a larger waist line?

Dave if you don't want things to get personal it might be best to avoid making childish sexual innuendo's when we're discussing bikes thumbsup.gif . The fact that you later try and deny this when called out on it doesn't really aid your cause in the perceived maturity stakes.

PS it's kind of weird that you're still discussing Tony so long after he left the forum. It almost like he got in your head or something laugh.png . Let it go dude, you'll be happier in the long run smile.png

• Like 1

Seems this thread is perfect for offtopic nonsense. "CBR250 causing shoulder pain?" is like "Wearing shorts causing sunburn?". If the bike doesn't fit to you you shouldn't blame the bike.

Btw, seems good ol Tony hasn't left the forum. He became a lurker. Maybe he grew up and realised that there is more in life than insulting forum members. An insight many members here are still missing.

If you are still using "PURE" gasoline and Iridium spark plugs like previous posts its probably down to the massive power increases that the CBR is churning out .... single cylinder, mass produced, 250 x 4 stroke commuters can be pretty radical thumbsup.gif

PURE doesn't sell 91 benzine anymore and the CBR 250 comes stock with an Iridium sparkplug.

Being less intelligent as you think you are I'll assume you didn't know that.

^ It's what puts me off the 650 range at the moment. 100% city driving (BKK) for the present and foreseeable future. sad.png

43,000km on my 2012 ninja 650 in and around Bangkok now, your left hand and forearm soon get beef up.

Makes me laugh when i see a rider of a scooter tippy toeing his way past cars and I’m balancing behind waiting to zoom through the same gap.

As for Forzas..... There’s always a huge tail of traffic behind those dam things!

And @ the OP. No, i have never had any pains when out riding a CBR250 before, this is purely rider specific and you need more time in the saddle, so to speak.

I recall jumping on to 2005 ZX636R for the first time, i didn't think i could ride the thing far but after a week my body adjusted and all the aches and pains were gone

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1