CBR 250 Causing Shoulder Pain ?

KRS1

I get the occasional earache from Ninjette owners complaining their bikes cost an extra 60k.

One thing about both the Ninja & the CBR250 is owners of neither can complain much as we are pretty

much the bottom rung of prices in Thailand for anything above a scooter

For the shoulder pain I doubt it is bike specific & surely not a non aggressive position like the cbr.

Probably just time in saddle & you need to move around a bit more or stop & stretch every hour or so.

Edited by mania

I gave it up and went with a 250 D-Tracker for the more upright position

I'm thinking of giving it up and buying a two year older Ninja (probably the same money) in order for better reliability and durability.

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

^ Opposite I think. N650 is more upright, but heavier clutch so gets painful when in heavy traffic.

The ninja is more upright.. but the clutch is heavier and in a traffic jam is not fun. Otherwise no problems of course.

it started with the left 4 months ago, went away...now its the right.

if i loosen the clip ons and pivot them inwards, its better, but now its back to aching again...

never had this happen with any other bike.

if i loosen the clip ons and pivot them inwards, its better, but now its back to aching again...

Try changing the oil in the front forks so it is softer, don't wana teach you to suck eggs but make sure your tyres are not over inflated.

I luv riding my bike so any pains I get I put down to my age and just live through the pain.laugh.png

• Like 1

^ Opposite I think. N650 is more upright, but heavier clutch so gets painful when in heavy traffic.

The ninja is more upright.. but the clutch is heavier and in a traffic jam is not fun. Otherwise no problems of course.

Robblok, all that work in the gym and still can't handle the clutch on a 650 twin? :)

Just kidding, but my gsxr is fine in Bangkok so maybe you need to lube the cables or just stick it in third and time the movements in the traffic a bit better...

• Like 2

Try changing the oil in the front forks so it is softer, don't wana teach you to suck eggs but make sure your tyres are not over inflated.

I luv riding my bike so any pains I get I put down to my age and just live through the pain.laugh.png

i havent checked the tires in a month so the pressure should be around 36 psi now.

hopefully it will go away soon like the left side did...guess this bike is working out different muscles than previous bikes, last bike i had was an sv 650 and no kind of aches, it had a more leaned over position though.

Sport bikes aren't meant to be ridden with you gripping the bars for dear life, so take the pressure off by having a very relaxed upper body and grip the bike with your hips and knees.

honestly, that isnt it..i stay really loose.

last time i started jogging seriously, this happened with the left...been jogging a lot again so maybe i have to start working out that mucles group more, now that the legs are using more energy/oxygen/nutrients...

Robblok, all that work in the gym and still can't handle the clutch on a 650 twin? smile.png

Just kidding, but my gsxr is fine in Bangkok so maybe you need to lube the cables or just stick it in third and time the movements in the traffic a bit better...

I will look at it its not that its heavy or something. Haven't really found out what it is that is annoying me. I haven't ridden it enough as i just got it and I am really busy with work (unfortunately) But lubing the cables is a good idea, its just different as the CBR.

How far do you have to release the lever until the clutch engages?

I usually set mine to where it takes off about 1 centimeter after releasing the lever.

If it takes off not until around 50%, that may be it. Youll get a quicker start off if its not as tight also.

9 out of 10 bikes i ride (friends, rentals, possible purchases), almost always have an overtightened clutch lever.

• Like 1

How far do you have to release the lever until the clutch engages?

I usually set mine to where it takes off about 1 centimeter after releasing the lever.

If it takes off not until around 50%, that may be it. Youll get a quicker start off if its not as tight also.

9 out of 10 bikes i ride (friends, rentals, possible purchases), almost always have an overtightened clutch lever.

I got robbloks cbr, only thing i notice is my hands go dead after about 30 mins but loosening my grip brings the feeling back or when sitting in front at the lights i just put my hands on the top of the tank.

The stock grips are crap.

I changed mine to Ride It (I think that's the name) for 300-400b, much better. The main thing is to wear gloves. The stock grips are murder on naked hands.

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

I got robbloks cbr, only thing i notice is my hands go dead after about 30 mins but loosening my grip brings the feeling back or when sitting in front at the lights i just put my hands on the top of the tank.

The stock grips are crap.

I changed mine to Ride It (I think that's the name) for 300-400b, much better. The main thing is to wear gloves. The stock grips are murder on naked hands.

yea i agree,

i have to put gloves on all the time.did you get the grips on the net or a shop?

cheers kelvin.

OP - if you think it's definitely the bike as opposed to your physical condition, then try most of the options that have already been posted.

Additionally, you could get hold of some multi adjustable racing clip-ons that can be adjusted in every direction - it could be the up/down angle causing grief, even though you can adjust in/out on the standard ones.

Maybe you need to mount them higher or lower on the forks to change the overall height position. I'm not familiar with the CBR setup, but you can get adapters for most bikes that let you raise or lower them if the triple-tree is in the way, or if putting them under the tree is too low.

I'd also suggest that you play around with the angles of the brake and clutch levers, especially if you alter your clip-on angle. I see many bikes with levers set at all sorts of weird angles that are both unsafe, and must be uncomfortable to use. If you have to raise or lower your fingers to "reach" for them, they're in the wrong position and may cause pain.

Also, try changing the bar-end weights to a heavier or lighter set. I had a GSXR1000K2 that had a vibration resonance (harmonics) in the clip-ons at my regular cruising speed that made both hands and lower forearms go numb from the vibrations. I changed the weights and the resonance went away. It's feasible that you have a resonance but aren't aware of it.

Try getting a shorty clutch lever - this forces two finger usage and they're less onerous on the forearm.

Have you got the rear-sets in the best position for your comfort and riding style? This could be impacting on your seating position and causing shoulder pain.

Try wearing a kidney belt and see if that arrests the pain. Most of us tend to slouch overly much on sportsbikes. A belt will keep your back straighter and take the weight off your shoulders and arms.

When braking or clutching, have as much weight as possible off your arms. Use your knees and lower abdomen. This takes pressure of your shoulders/arms, and will give you improved braking performance by lowering the angle of the weight transfer to the forks.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2