Renewing A Retirement Visa On The Last Day

If you try this last day thing, please let us know how it turned out!

Drama and suspense on the visa forum, who knew?

Yes, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turned out.

Try calling your bank and explain your situation and see if they can process the letter and have it available for you at your branch when you arrive.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try calling your bank and explain your situation and see if they can process the letter and have it available for you at your branch when you arrive.

Personally, I wouldn't do that.

Why?

A best practice is to do one last transaction on the day you get the letter so that you have a transaction showing the same date as the letter.

That can't be done in advance.

So getting the letter before the date might actually cause more problems than it solves.

I'm not sure why you don't do it prior to your leaving the country.

Unless of course your leaving the country for a period > 60 days prior to 1 November.

The OP is currently out of Thailand so that option is out.

Also as far as I know currently, Jomtien is no longer liberal on 60 day out applications. 30 day early is standard and welcome but recent reports say they no longer welcome early applications than that.

Edited by Jingthing

I am constantly amused by the comments here regarding visas and the variety of confusing responses from all and sundry.

It really isn't that complicated but many here seem to delight in making it so and in doing so contradict each other.

I'd imagine the person asking the question finishes up even more bewildered than he was originally.

There's such a thing as telephone and email.

Why not contact your Thai bank manager, explain the situation and ask for the

necessary letter to be posted to you so that you have it well in advance of your visit to Immigration ?

I suggest you do this letter in English and Thai which isn't too difficult if you use one of the online translation sites.

I am constantly amused by the comments here regarding visas and the variety of confusing responses from all and sundry.

It really isn't that complicated but many here seem to delight in making it so and in doing so contradict each other.

I'd imagine the person asking the question finishes up even more bewildered than he was originally.

necessary letter to be posted to you so that you have it well in advance of your visit to Immigration ?

I suggest you do this letter in English and Thai which isn't too difficult if you use one of the online translation sites.

That's a really bad idea.

The bank letter is ideally very fresh.

It doesn't have to be same day as the immigration meeting at Jomtien, but as fresh as possible.

It is also very desirable to have a transaction on the same day as the letter done before the letter is issued. Then everything matches, dates and balance.

As far as complications or not complications, it is what it is.

No it's not that hard once you know the ropes, but then again, the enforcement policies seem to change fairly often.

The OP's situation isn't really more complicated than a usual application, but he has added the variable of having an intense level of TIME PRESSURE. So if any little thing goes wrong, it would be meaningful, where as a more normal early application has room for small delays.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Because the letter is needed for account balance at a future date and can only be issued on or after that date. Use online translations for Thai?

• Like 1

I am constantly amused by the problems people have here with their visas and the variety of confusing responses from all and sundry.

All the responses seem to contradict each other and probably leave the questioner even more confused that he was before he asked the questionblink.png .

(Note: Font changed.)

We got it the first time. facepalm.gif

Really, that's a more general issue with the entire visa forum, and not really specifically relevant to the OP.

BTW, based on the OP's responses, it sounds like he has found the advice on this thread quite helpful.

In my experience, most people seeking help here are actually helped. Also, it is FREE.

It's a discussion forum. Sometimes people do post incorrect guidance. The beauty thing is such errors are almost always CORRECTED later. Yes, you have to read the responses and weigh the credibility of the different points made.

Most people, understandably so, tend to weigh the posts of the ADMINS most heavily credible.

Also, so sorry, often there are MULTIPLE paths and tactics to consider with visas.

In this case, some people would choose to forget trying to do the extension on the last day and work on starting over with a new O visa, in which case there are different ways to do that.

The OP clearly wants to try the last day thing.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Bababooey,

Harry is correct in what he says, to my knowledge.

You can apply for a 1 year "extension", which is actually a new "retirement visa", up to 30 days before expiry date.

However, I think what could be an option in your case is drop an e-mail to Key Visa (e-mail: [email protected]). It is a small company in Pattaya run by Darren who is an expert. He will, I am sure be able to assist you and in fact obtain your new 1 year "retirement visa" on your behalf. I am referring to this option, because I have made use of his services (for "retirement visa") and will most certainly do so when mine expires. I believe the cost will be reasonable and will save you a lot of hassles and worries.

That is what I would do, but as you know "it's up to you"!

Good luck anyhow!

Personally, I wouldn't do that.

Why?

A best practice is to do one last transaction on the day you get the letter so that you have a transaction showing the same date as the letter.

That can't be done in advance.

So getting the letter before the date might actually cause more problems than it solves.

One could do an online transfer for a transaction, I would think, then call the bank. I don't use the bank deposit method personally, I get a letter from my embassy to verify income. A couple of years ago I had a week left on my extension when I entered, but I had my income letter already. No problem. The OP is up against the wall as they say. And of course I don't know if he has internet banking. Possibly a SWIFT deposit a few days before arrive, then call the bank?

I'm not sure why you don't do it prior to your leaving the country.

Unless of course your leaving the country for a period > 60 days prior to 1 November.

The OP is currently out of Thailand so that option is out.

Also as far as I know currently, Jomtien is no longer liberal on 60 day out applications. 30 day early is standard and welcome but recent reports say they no longer welcome early applications than that.

I did one last year but had proof that I would be out of the country when my extension was due to expire - but no need this year so no worries.

And that will learn me to read things b4 I post.

Thanks

The OP is up against the wall as they say. And of course I don't know if he has internet banking. Possibly a SWIFT deposit a few days before arrive, then call the bank?

I already have the more than 800K in the bank. I'm OK with that.

I think people are a little confused. What they want to see in a balance in the bank book on the day of the letter......and before that matches the letter. Unless the bankbook is updated there is no transaction in the book so there is no proof that that amount is in the account. They sometimes also ask for an atm slip on the daythat you go in if you got the letter a couple of days before. The easiest way to do this is to do a 100 baht deposit through the atm.

I think people are a little confused. What they want to see in a balance in the bank book on the day of the letter......and before that matches the letter. Unless the bankbook is updated there is no transaction in the book so there is no proof that that amount is in the account. They sometimes also ask for an atm slip on the daythat you go in if you got the letter a couple of days before. The easiest way to do this is to do a 100 baht deposit through the atm.

Yes, but the OP needs the bank letter the day he arrives according to his post and get to immigration that same day. Best wishes! I hope it works out.

Yes, but the OP needs the bank letter the day he arrives according to his post and get to immigration that same day. Best wishes! I hope it works out.

I arrive on October 31st. It is best for my current employer (not in Thailand) that I arrive after the banks close on October 31st.

It is possible but problematic work wise that I arrive and get to the bank around noon on Oct 31.

My visa expires on November 1st.

So it seems I have those two choices plus coming in on a 30 day stamp and then converting to the 90 day visa and then three months later extending for 1 year.

I really don't see any problem with the last minute plan now.

My main question was about the bank.

You said they did it last year on the spot.

Why would that be different?

I had my doubts before you said that because I didn't know if you used the same bank before or if you might have an issue with the bank insisting on home branch if your home branch was out of town.

Anyway, it's great that you know the options.

Let the games begin!

And then again ...

On second thought ...

BTW, there is another issue.

Are you an owner or a renter?

If you are a renter, there have been numerous reports that Jomtien is seeking more substantive documentation for proof of address at extension times.

If you are a renter, you should search for information about that, and either get it sorted before you arrive which might involve your landlord doing something, or if you can't, punt and forget about the last minute plan.

At this point I am not aware of any change in the proof of address for owners. As far as I know, they still accept copies of utility bills, etc, but I am not sure.

Edited by Jingthing

I really don't see any problem with the last minute plan now.

My main question was about the bank.

You said they did it last year on the spot.

Why would that be different?

Are you an owner or a renter?

I am a renter. Never experinced a problem at Jomtien with the receipt from my serviced apartment.

In a prior year I was also near the deadline, but not out of country but came back to Pattaya after a 2 month trip to Ko Phangan. Thought it would be easier to do at Jomtien than in Samui since my bank branch is in Pattaya. I had already booked the flight forgetting about the expiration date.

As I recall, it was a day before the deadline and asked the bank to do me a favor and rush the letter and as I recall it took about two hours. But that was because I encountered a friendly manager; that situation could be different now.

This is starting to sound not as good.

At my bank (SCB) I have to wait in a queue to see a clerk but when I get there the letter is issued within minutes as if they do them everyday.

Which they do.

On the rental proof of residence thing, please do NOT assume it will be as easy as last year.

Like I said, there have been recent reports of renters encountering some major hassles reflecting a pretty definite change in enforcement policy.

There is at least one thread about that. I suggest you search for that more recent information.

I am not a renter so I can't speak about the details with authority, but I recall stuff about needing long term leases and some cases of landlords needing to bothered in ways they didn't want to be bothered.

I'm not as sure you'll be pulling this off now (the last minute thing).

Anyway, its your move.

Update:

I found a thread about this potential complication for you regarding your rental residency documentation at Jomtien. Maybe it's mentioned in other threads, but this is a start:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638314-retirement-new-rules-for-renting/

Edited by Jingthing

A serviced apartment rental probably might be handled differently than renting a house, condo or room because they might already be reporting your stay to immigration.

You should ask if they are doing the reports and perhaps get a copy if they are if not you could ask them to fill out a Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30) to take with you.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes, I had thought this "crackdown" if it is still happening in Jomtien may be related to the laws requiring reporting foreigners in residences, hotels, etc. I'd still be somewhat concerned if I was the OP considering he has pretty much no time to fix any issues with his application once he arrives at the office.

Yes, I had thought this "crackdown" if it is still happening in Jomtien may be related to the laws requiring reporting foreigners in residences, hotels, etc. I'd still be somewhat concerned if I was the OP considering he has pretty much no time to fix any issues with his application once he arrives at the office.

In worst case they likely would accept current application and disapprove giving him seven more days to obtain required documents. Do not believe this will be the saga we are making it out to be. It is tight but things do seem to work out.

In worst case they likely would accept current application and disapprove giving him seven more days to obtain required documents. Do not believe this will be the saga we are making it out to be. It is tight but things do seem to work out.

I think you are probably right.

But supposing he fails to get the bank letter the same day.

Do you think they would even agree to see him if he arrived without the letter?

Often there is a screening of documents for extensions at the front desk before giving a queue number.