Australia to Send Refugees to Papua New Guinea

News_Editor

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this proposed legislation only to be applied to those receiving Bridging Visas who previously arrived by sea prior to the PNG solution? Also I read that, e.g., someone convicted of a driving offense can also have their welfare benefits reduced/cut; is this not in contradiction to double jeopardy law?

Killing sparks fears for safety of 600 Afghan interpreters

An Afghan interpreter who worked for the Australian army in Afghanistan has been killed in a suspected Taliban revenge attack while he waited for promised resettlement in Australia.

The killing has heightened fears for the safety of about 600 interpreters who remain in Afghanistan despite an Australian government promise they would not "be left behind" when the Diggers withdraw.

The withdrawal is due to be completed in days, marking the end of Australia's role in the conflict that has resulted in the deaths of 40 Diggers, left more than 200 with serious injuries and cost over $7 billion, alongside significant civilian casualties.

Read the Full Article Here

The only thing I don't understand is why any Afghan would have trusted any Australian promise of safety when it ended. The west has a long and infamous history of abandoning those that helped them when they run away with their tails between their legs.

Happened in every "western" war since the Vietnam conflict. The US abandoned thousands of people that helped them to the north Vietnamese retribution. Politicians really are slime sometimes.

• Like 2

Scott Morrison backtracks on cap on protection visas after legal challenge

"IMMIGRATION Minister Scott Morrison has quietly revoked a cap on protection visas for asylum-seekers, following a High Court challenge to the move.

The revocation of the Migration Act regulation - revealed in a brief note on the Attorney-General department's law website - took effect yesterday, and overturns the cap on protection "Class XA" visas for the 2013-14 financial year.

The visas were capped at 1650, the number already issued by the previous government.

Mr Morrison moved to cap the visa numbers at the beginning of the month after the Senate struck down attempts to introduce temporary protection visas.

At the time, Mr Morrison said he had introduced the cap because, one way or another, the Coalition government would not grant permanent residency to asylum-seekers no matter how long they had been in the country.

"The government today has shut Labor's protection visa shop ... the door has been sealed shut," he said at the time.

"That means that no further protection visas can be provided to onshore applicants this financial year, which takes us obviously through to June 30."

Lawyers from the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre asked the High Court yesterday to declare Mr Morrison's cap invalid.

They were acting for an Ethiopian boy who was on the verge of having his protection visa finalised when the cap was introduced.

Mr Morrison's office has been approached for comment."

Will be interested to hear what Morrison has to say. That is, if he decides to answer.

Good on him then.

They promised a crackdown on the flood when they contested the general election. At least he is delivering on a promise.

An Afghan interpreter who worked for the Australian army in Afghanistan has been killed in a suspected Taliban revenge attack while he waited for promised resettlement in Australia.

The killing has heightened fears for the safety of about 600 interpreters who remain in Afghanistan despite an Australian government promise they would not "be left behind" when the Diggers withdraw.

The withdrawal is due to be completed in days, marking the end of Australia's role in the conflict that has resulted in the deaths of 40 Diggers, left more than 200 with serious injuries and cost over $7 billion, alongside significant civilian casualties.

Hold on, surely they should just wait in line like everyone else, or if they feel threatened hop over the border to safe haven's which will take them, like Pakistan or Iran. I mean, isn't that what others have been advocating here?

I mean, I didn't think people could be real refugees from Afghanistan? I bet all these guys are just economic migrants in disguse.

The difference is that these people were put in harm's way by a government that promised them a safe haven when they left. Had they not worked for the Ockers, they wouldn't be in danger now.

The only thing I don't understand is why any Afghan would have trusted any Australian promise of safety when it ended. The west has a long and infamous history of abandoning those that helped them when they run away with their tails between their legs.

Happened in every "western" war since the Vietnam conflict. The US abandoned thousands of people that helped them to the north Vietnamese retribution. Politicians really are slime sometimes.

The west has a long history of giving assistance to those that have helped them in conflict areas. In Vietnam, the Orderly Departure Program, that settled upwards of 1/2 million people. That does not count those that were resettled through refugees camps in countries across S.E. Asia. ODP resettled primarily in the US, but I think any walk around an Australian city will show that the Ozzie's took their fare share as well.

After the 2nd Gulf War upwards of 10,000 refugees, mostly Kurds were taken out of Northern Iraq after the re-invasion of Saddam Hussein. Any person who worked for any foreign gov't program which had received any US funding at any time, were eligible for resettlement. They were taken out in a period of about 3 weeks.

I would hardly say the west has a long history of abandoning those that have helped/worked for the US certainly doesn't.

This topic is about Australian Refugees.

• Like 2

Is this proposed legislation only to be applied to those receiving Bridging Visas who previously arrived by sea prior to the PNG solution? Also I read that, e.g., someone convicted of a driving offense can also have their welfare benefits reduced/cut; is this not in contradiction to double jeopardy law?

How would that fall under the double jeopardy law? The person isn't be re-tried for the same 'crime', rather the punishment(s) are several

How would that fall under the double jeopardy law? The person isn't be re-tried for the same 'crime', rather the punishment(s) are several

OK, I used the incorrect terminology, but to me it's inherently unfair to fine a person for an offense & then apply an additional penalty under a seperate "ruling"

OK, I used the incorrect terminology, but to me it's inherently unfair to fine a person for an offense & then apply an additional penalty under a seperate "ruling"

I don't think that's the way it can be looked at. I guess a good example would be that they are 'here' on probation.

There is nothing inherently wrong with that, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Its their wars and they were all part of it, so send them back to help sort it out . What about the illegals who try to get into UK on lorries from France......................thats it ! if caught they go straight back, so whats the difference. The 'Do gooders' keep on about Australia, but we are a tiny nation and can absorb just so many. We do take many and there are many on the waiting list so why should these people be able to jump the qeue just because they can pay. Send them back with an application form. When i immigrated to this country i had to wait 4 years before i got an interview. I patiently waited, did not pay some crim to get me to the front of the line. They can spin all the tales they like, but no sympathy, send them back ASAP.

Edited by oldsailor35

Well done Scott Morrison, you are a hero, Australia's salvation. You have the guts to do what you said you would do, unlike the gutless, lets please all, mob that preceded you. Fewer are taking the chance these days. I also like to remind everybody that despite the war in Sri Lanka being well and truely over, we were still getting boats from that country throughout the reign of the last Labour government. But lo and behold, they have now been stopped. Congratulations Scott Morrison.

Its their wars and they were all part of it, so send them back to help sort it out . What about the illegals who try to get into UK on lorries from France......................thats it ! if caught they go straight back, so whats the difference. The 'Do gooders' keep on about Australia, but we are a tiny nation and can absorb just so many. We do take many and there are many on the waiting list so why should these people be able to jump the qeue just because they can pay. Send them back with an application form. When i immigrated to this country i had to wait 4 years before i got an interview. I patiently waited, did not pay some crim to get me to the front of the line. They can spin all the tales they like, but no sympathy, send them back ASAP.

It has been clearly stated many times there is no such thing as an orderly sequential 'queue' for asylum seekers/refugees. The people concerned are prioritised depending on their circumstances. If there is another emergency, such as Syria, those currently waiting are often deprioritised and of course the numbers allotted by various governments have an impact. Again as documented on many occasions some asylum seekers/refugees are waiting in camps for up to 20 years and usually not permitted to work, no access to education and limited medical services. They are in camps away from their homeland as they not permitted to apply from within their own countries.

In Australia the usual average for being assessed as an economic refugee is approx 10% of all applicants. Much higher assessment rates for those arriving via air & then claiming asylum, at 50 to 60 percent. You mentioned Sri Lankans as an example, those assessed as economic refugees are deported.

It would be great if a number of posters stop constantly making nonsense comments.

Edited by simple1

Overpopulated third world countries should be forced to discourage their populations from breeding like rabbits and then they wouldn't be dumping their economic migrants on everyone else.

Some religions allow more than one wife, i saw one man with three wife's and 21 children, that was in Africa how can that be right, strugling to feed all those mouths, . But again , i forget the women do the work.

Edited by Thongkorn

I don't know about Australia, but some countries do not allow for more than one wife, so if you had more than one wife, you would not be allowed to resettle.

I know that in the refugee programs for the US, no multiple marriages. This was a problem for some of the Hill tribe people from Laos who often had more than one wife as well as Muslims. For regular resettlement, it would not even be considered.

I recall that resettlement in some of the European countries wasn't an option either. There are some ways of getting around it, but it's a pretty firm rule. Does Australia allow for resettlement of multiple marriages?

I don't know about Australia, but some countries do not allow for more than one wife, so if you had more than one wife, you would not be allowed to resettle.

I know that in the refugee programs for the US, no multiple marriages. This was a problem for some of the Hill tribe people from Laos who often had more than one wife as well as Muslims. For regular resettlement, it would not even be considered.

I recall that resettlement in some of the European countries wasn't an option either. There are some ways of getting around it, but it's a pretty firm rule. Does Australia allow for resettlement of multiple marriages?

No, polygamous marriage is illegal in Australia.

Edited by simple1

The tide of asylum seeker misery is finally turning around

ASYLUM seekers awaiting passage to Australia have begun flooding back into Malaysia in the first independent confirmation that the federal government's controversial boats policy has effectively closed our maritime borders.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/the-tide-of-asylum-seeker-misery-is-finally-turning-around-mass-exodus-to-malaysia-shows-the-federal-governments-policy-is-working/story-fni0xqrc-1226820087354

• Like 1

50 asylum seekers reportedly turned back to Indonesian waters and washed up on Java beach

A BOAT carrying about 50 asylum seekers has reportedly been pushed back to Indonesian waters by Australian authorities, and washed up on a Java beach.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/asylum-seekers-reportedly-turned-back-to-indonesian-waters-and-washed-up-on-java-beach/story-fni0xqrc-1226819695479

I loved this comment "Senator Hanson-Young said the latest boat turnback proved the government had failed in its attempts to stop the flow of asylum seekers. "It's a lie,'' she said of claims the government were stopping the boats.

She must be on drugs.

The headline may be a little misleading. I don't know that their 'misery' is turning around.

A large number of them are probably not genuine political refugees, but for the few who are the misery is just beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
One person dead, others seriously injured during violent Manus Island clashes

One asylum seeker has died and scores have been seriously injured on a second night of violence in Manus Island, Immigration Minster Scott Morrison has confirmed.

Speaking to reporters in Darwin, Mr Morrison said the person died while on their way to hospital for treatment for a head injury and 77 people have been injured, 13 seriously.

The Immigration Minister said PNG police ''were not in the centre'' at the time of the attack.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/one-person-dead-others-seriously-injured-during-violent-manus-island-clashes-20140218-32x3k.html

One asylum seeker has died and scores have been seriously injured on a second night of violence in Manus Island, Immigration Minster Scott Morrison has confirmed.

Speaking to reporters in Darwin, Mr Morrison said the person died while on their way to hospital for treatment for a head injury and 77 people have been injured, 13 seriously.

The Immigration Minister said PNG police ''were not in the centre'' at the time of the attack.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/one-person-dead-others-seriously-injured-during-violent-manus-island-clashes-20140218-32x3k.html

Injuries to security personel as well sounds like it was a full on violent battle. The whole lot of them should now be rounded up and sent back. Their application stamped VOID and never to be accepted. The sad thing is that after rioting like this they will probably be granted citizenship.

Injuries to security personel as well sounds like it was a full on violent battle. The whole lot of them should now be rounded up and sent back. Their application stamped VOID and never to be accepted. The sad thing is that after rioting like this they will probably be granted citizenship.

Citizenship of PNG? Feared settlement in PNG is the primary reason for the unrest.

Citizenship of PNG? Feared settlement in PNG is the primary reason for the unrest.

probably but there have been numerous advertising campaigns in Indonesia and other parts of S/E Asia warning them that if they get on boat that is where they will end up. Thousands have turned back but a few don't take the warnings seriously. They don't have to stay in PNG they have the choice to leave but they won't get into Australia.

I think that should be a warning to the demonstrators not to mess with PNG security and police.

While it would be tolerated in Australia, they won't put up with it there. In Oz for example, if detainee's

climb up on the roof, authorities generally tend to wait them out.

It's a completely new ball game over there.

Waiting for the Greens to come along now.

• Like 1

That K Rudd & J Gillard certainly have a lot of blood on their hands.

The current Australian govt certainly has it work cut out for it in an attempt to clean up after these two douchbags and no doubt the bleeding hearts are going to be whipped into a frenzy with a bit of help from the Australian media circus before it all ends with a court case where Australian taxpayer will fund a case against themselves so a big payout can be awarded to the asylum seekers that were injured in their own riot.

I can almost here that dweeb bill shorten now..... A sickening little whine he has.

Not only has KRudd and his mates driven the Australian economy to the wall, they are still costing the Australian tax payer hundreds of millions of dollars with this failed policy of,theirs and worse still there are more deaths and injuries. Where will it ever end?

Sadly, there are genuine refugees caught up in the middle of this mess and ongoing nonesense like this is hardly going to speed their cause up.

• Like 1

it's claimed that the cause for the unrest is the announcement by both the PNG & Australian governments that they will not approve applying for resettlement in a third party country. If postively assessed must reside in PNG. Unsure if this means they are excluded from access to UNHCR processes/policy, but sounds like this is so. In my personal opinion this policy is a unique discriminatory punishment in contradiction to the norm of human rights by a Western democratic country.

In reply to Chooka it has been repeatdly stated that the 'boat people' are/were misinformed by the people smugglers regarding their status if arriving by sea. However it does seem that the message is finally getting through

Aren't the majority of the detainees on the Island Sri Lankan and they are all being sent back because they are not refugees. I believe 1,000 were sent back to Sri Lanka a few months ago and people coming from Sri Lanka will not be considered genuine refugees but economic refugees.

it's claimed that the cause for the unrest is the announcement by both the PNG & Australian governments that they will not approve applying for resettlement in a third party country. If postively assessed must reside in PNG. Unsure if this means they are excluded from access to UNHCR processes/policy, but sounds like this is so. In my personal opinion this policy is a unique discriminatory punishment in contradiction to the norm of human rights by a Western democratic country.

In reply to Chooka it has been repeatdly stated that the 'boat people' are/were misinformed by the people smugglers regarding their status if arriving by sea. However it does seem that the message is finally getting through

To be honest simple1, I think it's quite naïve to think/believe that the "boat people" were misinformed, lied to, whatever,

in relation to this.

The majority of these people have internet access, access to social media, news etc not to mention mobile phones

where they can phone friends and or relations in Australia.

Why do you think they flocked to Australia after Rudd had opened the gates? They weren't told by people smugglers.