Australia to Send Refugees to Papua New Guinea

News_Editor

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I think it's great seeing the media having a hissy fit that they can only get a weekly briefing. Lets not forget that they are bottom feeders that spread scandal, misinformation and sometimes outright lies in pursuit of profit.

indeed, swept tone to office, didn't it?

Can't wait to see the media turn on him. Oh, and will they...

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Personally, I think it's great seeing the media having a hissy fit that they can only get a weekly briefing. Lets not forget that they are bottom feeders that spread scandal, misinformation and sometimes outright lies in pursuit of profit.

Really!

I thought it was the attrocious Gillard and cinically putting the previously stabbed in the back elected PM back in because they were panicking that made people turn away from Labour.

• Like 1

Really!

I thought it was the attrocious Gillard and cinically putting the previously stabbed in the back elected PM back in because they were panicking that made people turn away from Labour.

That is the simplistic view of the world, and I'm not so sure it was the main reason (eg The current liberal Victorian premier clinically backstabbed the 'elected' premier, with barely a blip). The other half of it was the ineptness of Rudd, and the inability for the ALP to sell anything.

My main view of it, I reckon that the media, as opposed to being people have report the news, now see themselves as makers of the news. Call it the 24 hour news cycle, twitter, etc etc, Journo's will basically start reporting and amplifying anything if they have got nothing else to do. And to satisfy their ego's, in the absense of access to the politicans, they'll go for any piece of salacious gossip.

With Abbott clamping down on access, those who are left out in the cold (ie anyone not from News Limted) are going to have a field day with hysteical headlines. I'm no fan of Tony, but he's going to have to deal with the media wanting a piece of him, and punishing him if he doesn't give enough.

And based on the first major poll post the election, I think I might have a point. So much for honeymoons..

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/labor-storms-ahead-20131124-2y43r.html

Really!

I would <egads> agree with TBL on this . . . I can't think of another time when the ineptitude and selfishness of the Labor Party was on show as blatantly as with the Gillard/Rudd fiasco.

Neither should have led the country, thank <insert deity here> they didn't win the last elections

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Killing sparks fears for safety of 600 Afghan interpreters

An Afghan interpreter who worked for the Australian army in Afghanistan has been killed in a suspected Taliban revenge attack while he waited for promised resettlement in Australia.

The killing has heightened fears for the safety of about 600 interpreters who remain in Afghanistan despite an Australian government promise they would not "be left behind" when the Diggers withdraw.

The withdrawal is due to be completed in days, marking the end of Australia's role in the conflict that has resulted in the deaths of 40 Diggers, left more than 200 with serious injuries and cost over $7 billion, alongside significant civilian casualties.

Read the Full Article Here

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

It would be great if every "refugee" or illegal invader coming to Europe could also be sent to Papua New Guinea. Australia started out as a penal colony and grew into a great first world nation. Who knows....maybe in a hundred years Papua New Guinea could be an example of what 3rd world refugees looking for a handout can achieve when they work together in the name of diversity.

• Like 2

Agreed Chooka. If they were genuine refugees they would be more than happy to stay in PNG. But as they are selective and that putting them in PNG will reduce the rate of boat people coming to Oz then it proves they are not genuine.

No country should have an open door policy.

Indeed. Should too many refugees arrive in PNG too quickly then I predict the locals could suffer a bout of indigestion.

It would be great if every "refugee" or illegal invader coming to Europe could also be sent to Papua New Guinea. Australia started out as a penal colony and grew into a great first world nation. Who knows....maybe in a hundred years Papua New Guinea could be an example of what 3rd world refugees looking for a handout can achieve when they work together in the name of diversity.

Yes, I see it, a great big cooking melting pot, as Blue Mink once sang. The only slight trouble with such a notion is that many bleeding heart types would find that idea unacceptable, not to say offensive, if whitey wasn't being made to pay for past sins, real or imagined.

An Afghan interpreter who worked for the Australian army in Afghanistan has been killed in a suspected Taliban revenge attack while he waited for promised resettlement in Australia.

The killing has heightened fears for the safety of about 600 interpreters who remain in Afghanistan despite an Australian government promise they would not "be left behind" when the Diggers withdraw.

The withdrawal is due to be completed in days, marking the end of Australia's role in the conflict that has resulted in the deaths of 40 Diggers, left more than 200 with serious injuries and cost over $7 billion, alongside significant civilian casualties.

To these guys (and immediate family) we owe a debt.

If they ask for settlement in Australia, I hope we don't turn our backs.

Ah, according to quite a few here these 'refugees' should be sent to PNG - and be bloody grateful for it as well!!!!

Edited by Sing_Sling
  • Like 1

To these guys (and immediate family) we owe a debt. If they ask for settlement in Australia, I hope we don't turn our backs.

Good to read your comment. Sadly there are also hundreds of Afghan police women trained by the US who are also at major risk, plus god knows how many thousands of civilian/security forces who have assisted ISAF forces.

^^ OH ... for me ... 'guys' is a non-gender term. if there is, as you say "also hundreds of Afghan police women trained by the US who are also at major risk" ... ditto.

If they were trained by the US, but assisted us ... God I hope we find a way to repay that debt.

If however, they worked for the US, I hope the US pony up and help them in an appropriate way.

Hold on, surely they should just wait in line like everyone else, or if they feel threatened hop over the border to safe haven's which will take them, like Pakistan or Iran. I mean, isn't that what others have been advocating here?

I mean, I didn't think people could be real refugees from Afghanistan? I bet all these guys are just economic migrants in disguse.

• Like 1

^^ OH ... for me ... 'guys' is a non-gender term. if there is, as you say "also hundreds of Afghan police women trained by the US who are also at major risk" ... ditto.

If they were trained by the US, but assisted us ... God I hope we find a way to repay that debt.

If however, they worked for the US, I hope the US pony up and help them in an appropriate way.

As far as I am aware there are no plans in place to provide protection or relocation for females who were trained by ISAF forces in police roles. The training of females was driven by polcies for providing opportunities and employment, with the withdrawal of ISAF forces they are being targeted for murder etc In my opinion a cynical exercise in abandonment with no accountability.

Karzi has been heavily critisied in giving into pressure from conservative elements and as we know he and his family enormously corrupt.

Hold on, surely they should just wait in line like everyone else, or if they feel threatened hop over the border to safe haven's which will take them, like Pakistan or Iran. I mean, isn't that what others have been advocating here?

I mean, I didn't think people could be real refugees from Afghanistan? I bet all these guys are just economic migrants in disguse.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Will27

Scott Morrison backtracks on cap on protection visas after legal challenge

"IMMIGRATION Minister Scott Morrison has quietly revoked a cap on protection visas for asylum-seekers, following a High Court challenge to the move.

The revocation of the Migration Act regulation - revealed in a brief note on the Attorney-General department's law website - took effect yesterday, and overturns the cap on protection "Class XA" visas for the 2013-14 financial year.

The visas were capped at 1650, the number already issued by the previous government.

Mr Morrison moved to cap the visa numbers at the beginning of the month after the Senate struck down attempts to introduce temporary protection visas.

At the time, Mr Morrison said he had introduced the cap because, one way or another, the Coalition government would not grant permanent residency to asylum-seekers no matter how long they had been in the country.

"The government today has shut Labor's protection visa shop ... the door has been sealed shut," he said at the time.

"That means that no further protection visas can be provided to onshore applicants this financial year, which takes us obviously through to June 30."

Lawyers from the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre asked the High Court yesterday to declare Mr Morrison's cap invalid.

They were acting for an Ethiopian boy who was on the verge of having his protection visa finalised when the cap was introduced.

Mr Morrison's office has been approached for comment."

Will be interested to hear what Morrison has to say. That is, if he decides to answer.

Edited by Will27

Boat people forced to sign behaviour code

"Asylum seekers released into the community on bridging visas will be forced to sign a code of conduct outlining how they are expected to behave.

The list of expectations includes obeying road rules, not making sexual contact without a person's consent, not bullying others and not participating in crime.

Anyone who breaches the mandatory "behaviour code" risks not only being taken back into detention but being transferred to offshore centres on Manus Island and Nauru, regardless of when they first arrived.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison on Friday said the government had a zero-tolerance approach to those who "violate the privilege" of being granted permission to live in Australia.

Since the September election, an average of two asylum seekers a week had been charged with criminal offences since the election, including for murder, rape, stalking, shoplifting and drink driving, Mr Morrison said.

The government was not suggesting the group was charged with offences disproportionately to the wider community.

He said measures were necessary if people who arrived illegally from countries with very different cultural norms were going to be released into the community.

"We should at the very least explain what is expected of them in terms of their own behaviour, and be prepared to remove them from the community if those expectations are not met," he said in a statement.

The code is in addition to a new arrangement with state and territory police informing them of where people on bridging visas were being released into the community.

Mr Morrison said it made no sense for Labor to enforce a code of conduct for those in detention but not for people on bridging visas, accusing the former government of pandering to interest groups.

The enforceable code will be a condition of bridging visas issued to asylum seekers, and will be applied in cases where visas are being renewed."

Don't know if the word "forced" is the correct one. Will be interesting to see how this one pans out but IMO, Morrison

is just pandering to the masses on this one. I mean "not bullying others". Not sure you'd be able to cancel a visa if someone

wasn't obeying the road rulesrolleyes.gif

Edited by Will27

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this, but isn't everyone covered by the same obligations without signing something or is it just a matter of re-inforcing those on bridging visas knowledge as they are from other cultures who may not have the same basis of understanding of 'our' laws'?

Seems redundant to me as they should be treated like all others when they break the law - except that deportation could be the result.

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this, but isn't everyone covered by the same obligations without signing something or is it just a matter of re-inforcing those on bridging visas knowledge as they are from other cultures who may not have the same basis of understanding of 'our' laws'?

Seems redundant to me as they should be treated like all others when they break the law - except that deportation could be the result.

Looks as if they've made it a Bridging visa condition, which theoretically means DIAC can cancel a visa if one of the conditions is broken.

IMO, It's just a smokescreen to show people how tough they're being.

Looks as if they've made it a Bridging visa condition, which theoretically means DIAC can cancel a visa if one of the conditions is broken.

Seems like it . . . but aren't visas based on following laws anyway . . . you either get jailed or chucked out if the offense warrants it.

Sabre rattling, you're most probably right

I'm in agreement there.

We need a deterrent to stop them flocking to Calais.

The Falklands has plenty of space and opportunity to make a life fishing and farming.

Sadly it's the benefits and not work that makes the UK a magnet for asylum seekers.

I don't see many trying to make it to Eire.

Good on Australia.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

Seems like it . . . but aren't visas based on following laws anyway . . . you either get jailed or chucked out if the offense warrants it.

Sabre rattling, you're most probably right

Morrison seems to like reminding us he really is a nasty piece of work.

The only reason they could be having people sign the code of behaviour is a publicity stunt from Morrison.

He is starting to demonise asylum seekers who are permitted for release into the community as a bunch of murderers and rapists.

Total smoke screen and an example of politics at the lowest level

The thing is that it isn't necessary for him to show off his muscles