Padi Divemaster Diving Course

Simon1985

I am thinking off completing the Padi Divemaster Course in Phuket when I arrive. Is it difficult to get work after you have completed the course. I know a lot of the companies that offer the courses recommend you complete an internship afterwards to build up your experience.

Your chances of finding work as a free lance instructor are good, of course depending on abilities, presentation etc.

On Phuket it will cost you though, you'll have to get a workpermit etc. Count on about 6,000 Baht per month fixed expenses, plus initially 30,000 Baht for the setup.

I am thinking off completing the Padi Divemaster Course in Phuket when I arrive. Is it difficult to get work after you have completed the course. I know a lot of the companies that offer the courses recommend you complete an internship afterwards to build up your experience.

Different DC's do it differently, but I have never heard of one that requires you to do further training after certification. When the training is complete you should, theoretically, have the ability to teach. DC's will often,but not always, offer employment for the instructor. This depends largely on what they think of you.

Now if you are talking about getting some experience guiding and working on a boat after you get your DM before before you take your IDC, then yeah, that is a good idea. These "zero to hero" courses produce some sketchy instructors.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Edited by NomadJoe

It is a lot of money to spend. There is no guarantee that you will find work as a SCUBA instructor. There are just too many people wanting this kind of lifestyle. There are also hundreds of SCUBA instructors looking for work in Thailand. I get many of them emailing me and asking for advice on this subject. Let's face it it is everybody's dream work. Anyone with a little money can become a SCUBA instructor. No previous experience is required. I think some of the above who tell you otherwise may have vested interests.

It is a lot of money to spend. There is no guarantee that you will find work as a SCUBA instructor. There are just too many people wanting this kind of lifestyle. There are also hundreds of SCUBA instructors looking for work in Thailand. I get many of them emailing me and asking for advice on this subject. Let's face it it is everybody's dream work. Anyone with a little money can become a SCUBA instructor. No previous experience is required. I think some of the above who tell you otherwise may have vested interests.

On Phuket, as I mentioned: get legal and an instructor will find (free lance) work. Provided presentation, abilities etc.

Its not a big amount of money to invest. But you would have to invest a lot of time and effort to become a good scuba diver instructor. Its a lot of responsibility teaching people to dive. Once you have qualified as a Instructor I think the hardest part is going to get your first job as you have no experience, but its definitely possible if you put in the hardwork and effort.

Different DC's do it differently, but I have never heard of one that requires you to do further training after certification. When the training is complete you should, theoretically, have the ability to teach. DC's will often,but not always, offer employment for the instructor. This depends largely on what they think of you.

Now if you are talking about getting some experience guiding and working on a boat after you get your DM before before you take your IDC, then yeah, that is a good idea. These "zero to hero" courses produce some sketchy instructors.

I think its a bit scary when you think someone can be a Divemaster with 50 dives. I think you should have a minimum of 100 - 150 dives in different dive locations.

This is copied from a website I was looking at - Have at least 40 dives to begin the dive master course and 60 for certification. You also need the rescue diver course and emergency first response primary and secondary care course before you can start.

I think its a bit scary when you think someone can be a Divemaster with 50 dives. I think you should have a minimum of 100 - 150 dives in different dive locations.

Within SSI the first professional level is Dive Guide. That has a minimum of 50 dives required. Perhaps that is what you read. And 100 dives for instructor is also not enough IMO.

PADI, NAUI, SSI, all require 60 logged dives to complete DM which "shall be varied in environment, depth and activities." 60 logged dives at your local flooded rock quarry won't cut it.

CMAS requires 50 logged dives to start the course. (3 star) But these dives must vary specifically and be in cold, 30+m, drift, night, limited visibility, and dives requiring navigation. A 50m dive is conducted during the course.

NAUI DM course has the additional prerequisite of either NAUI assistant instructor (recommended) or NAUI master scuba diver and rescue diver before starting the DM program. PADI's assistant instructor comes after DM on the paradigm, NAUI's before.

Here is an interesting link showing the comparisons between different levels within different agencies.

http://www.scubatravel.co.uk/training/qualifications.html

Getting work/work permit in Phuket on just a "paper" company is also something to be careful with these days. There's a bit of investigating going on to get back at these constructions, like foreigners using Thai nominees to set up a company. Same goes for lawyers (or people as such) offering work permits and registering that on one of their companies. This used to be ok, but times are definitely changing.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-office-identifies-82-foreign-owned-businesses-suspected-of-using-Thai-nominees-21719.html

I'd say, become a good instructor. The ability to speak an extra foreign language greatly increases your chances of finding work.

And find yourself a reputable dive center that is willing to provide you with a work permit. Save you tons of money too.

I've been down the same road before. Good luck!

And find yourself a reputable dive center that is willing to provide you with a work permit. Save you tons of money too.

That is not going to happen. Only chance to find work is to start as a free lance instructor, and to do that a workpermit, therefor own company, is required.

That is not going to happen. Only chance to find work is to start as a free lance instructor, and to do that a workpermit, therefor own company, is required.

Well, I got a job right after my IDC, with a work permit. maybe a bit lucky, yes. Looking for a good DC to do your IDC is a must anyway.

As far as setting up a company, well, like I said before, times are changing... The choice is yours.

Well, I got a job right after my IDC, with a work permit. maybe a bit lucky, yes. Looking for a good DC to do your IDC is a must anyway.

As far as setting up a company, well, like I said before, times are changing... The choice is yours.

Good for you, where was that?